Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G  (Read 21332 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2020, 11:28:23 am »

Are there any downsides of this techart adapter?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2020, 03:56:17 pm »

Are there any downsides of this techart adapter?

AF is slow and not trustable on moving subjects.

Other than that not really.

It turns the Nikon Z into a universal camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2020, 05:57:40 pm »

AF is slow and not trustable on moving subjects.

Other than that not really.

It turns the Nikon Z into a universal camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

It also limits your AF points to the middle part of the sensor...or maybe that's a Nikon feature.  ;D

chez

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2020, 06:00:57 pm »

Another review of the Sony 20 1.8 G.

https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-fe-20mm-f1-8-g-review/

Looks like a winner given it's image quality, size, weight and cost.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:41 pm »

It also limits your AF points to the middle part of the sensor...or maybe that's a Nikon feature.  ;D

Which is of little relevance for a 20mm lens.

One thing is sure none of the excellent S lenses will ever be usable on a sony body.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2020, 07:11:27 am »

Which is of little relevance for a 20mm lens.

One thing is sure none of the excellent S lenses will ever be usable on a sony body.

Cheers,
Bernard

So Sony can sell lenses to Nikon users but Nikon can’t sell lenses to Sony users. I guess the hope is that the Nikon lenses are so good that the advantage they offer will tempt the users of Sony bodies to sell their cameras and switch to Nikon. If that doesn’t happen then advantage Sony.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2020, 07:23:11 am »

So Sony can sell lenses to Nikon users but Nikon can’t sell lenses to Sony users. I guess the hope is that the Nikon lenses are so good that the advantage they offer will tempt the users of Sony bodies to sell their cameras and switch to Nikon. If that doesn’t happen then advantage Sony.

True.

I personally look at this as a photographer and having as many options as possible is good for me.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2020, 08:41:46 am »

True.

I personally look at this as a photographer and having as many options as possible is good for me.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, there are so many lens options for Sony...many native mount that if one cannot make brilliant photographs with those lenses, one should maybe switch hobbies. Manufactures are scrambling over themselves to create Siny mount lenses...brilliant move by Sony to open up their mount.

You Bernard...you can use these brilliant lenses crippled with the adapter.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2020, 09:15:42 am »

At the risk of butting in on this irritating game of ping pong, I'll just say that I would love to see Nikon opening their Z mount.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:41 am »

At the risk of butting in on this irritating game of ping pong, I'll just say that I would love to see Nikon opening their Z mount.

Met too, Nikon thinks not doing it will be better for them. That remains to be seen.
Meanwhile Jim Kasson just performed a test with both lenses on the Z7 and sees now that both lenses are OK and not performing much different at 46MP.
So 63mp vs 46mp makes some difference as it should.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:31:54 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

chez

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2020, 12:28:56 pm »

Met too, Nikon thinks not doing it will be better for them. That remains to be seen.
Meanwhile Jim Kasson just performed a test with both lenses on the Z7 and sees now that both lenses are OK and not performing much at 46MP.
So 63mp vs 46mp makes some difference as it should.

Bringing an adapter into the picture definitely will affect the performance of a lens...in not a good way. Lenses are typically designed for a specific sensor so adapting that lens ( which brings in tolerances ) onto a non native sensor has all sorts of possible performance issues. It's a good test if one is deciding on which lens to use on the Z7...but not a very good approach if one is deciding on the best image quality a given lens can generate.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2020, 02:39:32 pm »

Bringing an adapter into the picture definitely will affect the performance of a lens...in not a good way. Lenses are typically designed for a specific sensor so adapting that lens ( which brings in tolerances ) onto a non native sensor has all sorts of possible performance issues. It's a good test if one is deciding on which lens to use on the Z7...but not a very good approach if one is deciding on the best image quality a given lens can generate.
So i guess you buy new lenses with every camera...
since the 20mm Sony lens will not be any good on a Sony 7 III body?
Performance issues are already noted- slower AF on moving subjects - I don't see it will change optically (or maybe a incidental flange problem)
With all the pixel peepers here we would have known already.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2020, 03:49:38 pm »

At least if appears that these 2 lenses are generating agreement on the fact that the performance of these f1.8 lenses are, realistically, probably the most important aspect of a mirrorless system.

Those interested in facts will see that when tested on the same camera both lenses are excellent (probably the 2 best 20mm lenses ever designed), with the Sony a bit sharper in the center and the Nikon a bit sharper in the corners.

Actual usage will confirm other aspects but I doubt that they would impact real world photography in a meaningful way.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:05:30 pm by BernardLanguillier »

chez

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2020, 04:13:08 pm »

So i guess you buy new lenses with every camera...
since the 20mm Sony lens will not be any good on a Sony 7 III body?
Performance issues are already noted- slower AF on moving subjects - I don't see it will change optically (or maybe a incidental flange problem)
With all the pixel peepers here we would have known already.

Nope...all Sony cameras have the same specks for their sensors...just like all Nikon cameras have the same specs. The adapter tries to duplicate those specs, but manufacturing tolerances make a difference in the final images. You are basically adding another tolerance level by using an adapter which from personal experience with multiple adapters...there are variances.

Don't know what you mean by your last sentence. You know a lot of people using the newly released Sony 20 1.8 lens on their N7 cameras?

chez

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2020, 04:14:15 pm »

At least if appears that these 2 lenses are generating agreement on the fact that the performance of these f1.8 lenses are, realistically, probably the most important aspect of a mirrorless system.

Those interested in facts will see that when tested on the same camera both lenses are excellent (probably the 2 best 20mm lenses ever designed), with the Sony a bit sharper in the center and the Nikon a bit sharper in the corners.

Actual usage will confirm other aspects but I doubt that they would impact real world photography in a meaningful way.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, I must agree with you, both seems to be fine lenses. Love the size and weight of the Sony though.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2020, 04:24:41 pm »

Bernard, I must agree with you, both seems to be fine lenses. Love the size and weight of the Sony though.

Smaller is nice. The Sony seems clearly superior in terms of « quality per gram ».

Now in the real world I personally never carry only a 20mm lens. It’s always part of a system. What will matter is the total bulk/weight.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2020, 05:14:27 pm »

Smaller is nice. The Sony seems clearly superior in terms of « quality per gram ».

Now in the real world I personally never carry only a 20mm lens. It’s always part of a system. What will matter is the total bulk/weight.

Cheers,
Bernard

A few extra grams in the pack on your back really doesn't matter...a few extra grams hanging off your wrist is where it really matters. That's where individual weights of lenses really makes a difference.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2020, 06:09:48 pm »

A few extra grams in the pack on your back really doesn't matter...a few extra grams hanging off your wrist is where it really matters. That's where individual weights of lenses really makes a difference.

Certainly but the lenses for which this is relevant are.
- heavy lenses
- lenses that are used a large % of the time
- lenses used hand held

This doesn’t apply to a 20mm f1.8 but it does for a 24-70mm f2.8 for instance.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2020, 06:42:04 pm »

Certainly but the lenses for which this is relevant are.
- heavy lenses
- lenses that are used a large % of the time
- lenses used hand held

This doesn’t apply to a 20mm f1.8 but it does for a 24-70mm f2.8 for instance.

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe for your shooting, but I carry wide angle on my camera an awful lot when photographing narrow tight places in alleyways or when photographing inside. Right now I carry the 16-35 lens for such occasions...this 20mm will replace the need of carrying the heavier lens.

My other travel lenses are also nice and light allowing me to carry a camera on my wrist for 12 hour days without fatigue. This is the reason why I shoot mirrorless...for the nice small lenses I use for travel. Nothing over 500gm...in fact only 1 lens over 400gm.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2020, 07:18:55 pm »

Maybe for your shooting, but I carry wide angle on my camera an awful lot when photographing narrow tight places in alleyways or when photographing inside. Right now I carry the 16-35 lens for such occasions...this 20mm will replace the need of carrying the heavier lens.

My other travel lenses are also nice and light allowing me to carry a camera on my wrist for 12 hour days without fatigue. This is the reason why I shoot mirrorless...for the nice small lenses I use for travel. Nothing over 500gm...in fact only 1 lens over 400gm.

I just walked one hour carrying a GFX-100 and 120mm f4 macro and that was a bit heavy but... you need to do a bit of workout if you expect a Z7 and 20mm f1.8 to be too heavy... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up