Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking up breakfast  (Read 3433 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Cooking up breakfast
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 09:03:05 am »

... One of the tourists tossed around a handful of coins. The children ran to pick them.
The tourists took pictures of the action...

Which raises the question: what exactly is objectionable in street photography in general, or in this example in particular - the real-life event or taking a picture of it?

Your example with a tip misses the point. Throwing tip money on the floor for one waiter is clearly disrespectful. Throwing it for a bunch of kids is simply more practical than walking to each of them and giving it individually, especially if you have less money (coins or banknotes) than there are kids.

Having said that, I personally am not the type to throw it on the ground only to take a picture of the ensuing fight for it and God forbid, laugh about it. That is disrespectful. But again, what are we angry about here: real-life action of tourists or taking picture of it? It seems to me some here think that it is picture taking, not real-life action, that warrants our disapproval.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 09:11:37 am »

Yes. My experience of Morocco was marred by constant demands for money. I've never felt more like a walking wallet. I shan't be going back.

Jeremy

During her lost years as a guia immediately post-uni, my daughter and another girl, both working for the same tour operator, were given a winter freebie holiday in Morocco. They ended up not leaving the hotel after the first day. Not pestered for money, but as sexual prey. Never again.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 09:21:23 am »

...Not pestered for money, but as sexual prey. Never again.

"If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain" ;)

Hashtags: #newyearseve #cologne #dusseldorf

rabanito

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 09:55:36 am »

During her lost years as a guia immediately post-uni, my daughter and another girl, both working for the same tour operator, were given a winter freebie holiday in Morocco. They ended up not leaving the hotel after the first day. Not pestered for money, but as sexual prey. Never again.

Rob

Well I'd never reccomend ladies to make holidays unaccompanied in a muslim land. European women have a reputation, coming from a completely different culture.
The are seen with different eyes. And I've seen some emancipated "europeanesses" looking for "adventure", confirming the beliefs of the natives.
In the eyes of many devout Muslims "European lady" equals "whore", however undeserved.

chez

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 11:12:44 am »

When in Morocco, do like the Moroccans. When I was there I saw many woman dressed scantily which goes against the Moroccan culture. When one travels into other cultures, you must respect that culture or don't go there. It's as simple as that.

As far as photography goes in Morocco, yes many people do not want to get their photos taken...and if you try and sneak a shot and get caught...you might be chased down. Here is an image which was taken in a leather tannery. I was there for about 20 minutes with my camera hanging off my wrist, but not taking any photos. Everyone working there saw me and after 20 minutes were comfortable with me. I then made some eye contact basically asking if it was OK to take some photos. I was accepted and was able to take a few images.

This is an image of a boy working at the tannery.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 01:00:41 pm »

...When one travels into other cultures, you must respect that culture or don't go there. It's as simple as that...

It doesn't seem to work in reverse.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 01:03:06 pm »

... European women have a reputation, coming from a completely different culture.
The are seen with different eyes. And I've seen some emancipated "europeanesses" looking for "adventure", confirming the beliefs of the natives.
In the eyes of many devout Muslims "European lady" equals "whore", however undeserved.

Sooo... European women emasculated their men, then circle the world looking for "real" men? Priceless  ;D

chez

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 01:11:17 pm »

It doesn't seem to work in reverse.

Elaborate please.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 01:16:55 pm »

Elaborate please.

Well, when they come to our, Western culture, they expect us to bent over backwards to accommodate their culture.

chez

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:38 pm »

Well, when they come to our, Western culture, they expect us to bent over backwards to accommodate their culture.

Really? I don't see it. I have tour buses pass through my town everyday on their way to the Rockies. Many buses stop here for the night and I see many tourists out enjoying the outdoors and browsing through the local galleries. I see zero evidence of foreigners wanting their culture to be accommodated.

However many of the Asian tour buses stop at the local Chinese restaurants which I find kind of weird as I would think our local Chinese cuisine is butchered compared to what is available in Asia.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 04:02:29 am »

That certainly wasn't my problem. It's been a long time since anyone saw me as sexual prey.

If ever.

Jeremy

rabanito

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 04:19:14 am »

That certainly wasn't my problem. It's been a long time since anyone saw me as sexual prey.

If ever.

Jeremy

Wouldn't be a problem for me. I prefer women
 ;D

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2020, 06:16:01 am »

Wouldn't be a problem for me. I prefer women
 ;D

I have retired.

;-(

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2020, 07:18:00 am »

Tell me about it. I'll be ninety in seventeen days. But I look back on it with delight.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2020, 07:44:24 am »

Tell me about it. I'll be ninety in seventeen days. But I look back on it with delight.

And that, my friend, says it all!

Have a great day.

Keith

JakeHodges1985

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2020, 09:57:56 am »

When in Morocco, do like the Moroccans. When I was there I saw many woman dressed scantily which goes against the Moroccan culture. When one travels into other cultures, you must respect that culture or don't go there. It's as simple as that.

As far as photography goes in Morocco, yes many people do not want to get their photos taken...and if you try and sneak a shot and get caught...you might be chased down. Here is an image which was taken in a leather tannery. I was there for about 20 minutes with my camera hanging off my wrist, but not taking any photos. Everyone working there saw me and after 20 minutes were comfortable with me. I then made some eye contact basically asking if it was OK to take some photos. I was accepted and was able to take a few images.

This is an image of a boy working at the tannery.
okay, where's the logic? Why do you need to be dressed beautifully and bright if yo're not a Moroccan. You're just a traveller, visitor, nothing more. Wearing sth special means that you wanna try this culture and taste is just like the breakfast this tread started with. However, when you'd like just o take photos, I guess, no need...

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2020, 12:27:32 pm »

I guess the point of the sentence was the word 'scantily'.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

ZoeSanderson

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 09:46:14 am »

okay, where's the logic? Why do you need to be dressed beautifully and bright if yo're not a Moroccan. You're just a traveller, visitor, nothing more. Wearing sth special means that you wanna try this culture and taste is just like the breakfast this tread started with. However, when you'd like just o take photos, I guess, no need...
I believe that you have put accents wrongly. Morrocans are okay with the tourists, I guess. By the way, speaking of breakfast, I've got hungry(( Every morning when I don't have time I cook tortillas, I love them, I usually cook them for the days I'm in a hurry all day. Moreover, I've even bought myself a tortilla press, which is a nice purchase. I've discovered some variants as wellfed has a nice article where are described all best tortilla presses. Great source, besides, nice info offered there!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:42:52 pm by ZoeSanderson »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up