Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 20 now available  (Read 6076 times)

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
Re: Capture One 20 now available
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:52 am »

Thanks, it helps.

Jochen

No wonder the initial version didn't get translated - it had to be 'overwrite' :-)

spassig

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2019, 10:43:15 am »

No wonder the initial version didn't get translated - it had to be 'overwrite' :-)

OK ;-)

Jochen

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2019, 11:11:40 am »

In modern data management practices, over-writing or even deleting is seen as bad practice.

The better practice is Versioning, which always allows recreating an earlier instance.
That's probably why Capture One only supports incremental numbering, instead of over-writing.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2019, 01:35:34 pm »

Yet many (I'd even go so far as to say most) tools allow for that practice. Isn't it also an unproportional measure considering there is no editing history? In programming, it's the source what matters not the compiled artefact - that's what I believe is industry standard.
Considering all that it's beyond me why the practices are forced, not given as an option.

In modern data management practices, over-writing or even deleting is seen as bad practice.

The better practice is Versioning, which always allows recreating an earlier instance.
That's probably why Capture One only supports incremental numbering, instead of over-writing.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2019, 02:56:29 pm »

Yet many (I'd even go so far as to say most) tools allow for that practice. Isn't it also an unproportional measure considering there is no editing history? In programming, it's the source what matters not the compiled artefact - that's what I believe is industry standard.

Not really, it's one of several approaches to store intermediate results during an edit session. Snapshots are another approach.
The approach that was implemented by e.g. Affinity Photo is much better, it offers a history of sequential changes during an edit session, including branches into other sequences, a funtion they call "Cycle futures". So when a historical point in the history sequence is activated, and different processing is chosen from that point onward, then an additional branch is made in history. One can then cycle between different "futures". https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/310764514/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:14:07 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Ferp

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 05:36:37 pm »

It has always been the case. Each instance requires an activation. If you have a permanent licence you have 3 activations or if you are a subscriber 2 activations.
You can manage your activations in the captureone.com website

Yes, I know.  I can run V20 on my desktop, my laptop and one other. 

But that's different to what I was asking about.  Someone said that you can run V12 and V20 in parallel.  But my V12 became unlicensed as soon as I did the upgrade, even before I installed V20.  Is this new, or have I just not noticed this behavior before? 

So you possibly can have both installed in parallel, you can't use both.  You probably could during the beta, but not now that the gold has been released.  I assume that if I tried to re-enter my V12 serial it would no longer be valid, despite me not having installed V20 yet (soon). 

I'd also like to hear from Jodo about the resolution of his upgrade problem, so that I can assist others in the same position.

cortlander

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 05:56:19 pm »

From Capture One support:

When purchasing your pre-order for Capture One 20, or if you purchased on or after 23/10/2019 - you will have received a voucher code via email.

It will read 'license key' - please note, this is not a license key, but a voucher code.

Copy this voucher code and navigate to the upgrade store here

Select the appropriate version. For most users, this will be the standard 'Upgrade' - if you wish to purchase additional styles, then select one of the other options on the left-hand side.

Click 'Upgrade Now' - you will be presented with the checkout screen.

Enter your coupon code (remember, this is described as a 'license key' in the order confirmation email). You should then see the message 'You will not be billed today'.

For the full article click here: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004099138

We realise that this is not the ideal wording/process, so we are trying to remedy as best we can, and we will learn from this. Hope you enjoy the new version!
cortlander

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 06:08:47 pm »

Yes, I know.  I can run V20 on my desktop, my laptop and one other. 

But that's different to what I was asking about.  Someone said that you can run V12 and V20 in parallel.  But my V12 became unlicensed as soon as I did the upgrade, even before I installed V20.  Is this new, or have I just not noticed this behavior before? 

So you possibly can have both installed in parallel, you can't use both.  You probably could during the beta, but not now that the gold has been released.  I assume that if I tried to re-enter my V12 serial it would no longer be valid, despite me not having installed V20 yet (soon). 

I'd also like to hear from Jodo about the resolution of his upgrade problem, so that I can assist others in the same position.

You need to reactivate the old version and you will be able to use both

julianv

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2019, 03:37:45 am »

I have a minor gripe. When applying one of the processor-intensive edits (like noise reduction), my computer cam take a few seconds to update the image. This is on a maxed-out 2014 Retina 5K iMac. If the change was subtle, it may be hard to notice when the update is complete. For those cases, It would be nice if the program displayed a progress indicator. Or is there one that I have not noticed? Occasionally I get the spinning beachball cursor for other operations, but I think those are generated by system level code.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2019, 04:35:59 am »

I have a minor gripe. When applying one of the processor-intensive edits (like noise reduction), my computer cam take a few seconds to update the image. This is on a maxed-out 2014 Retina 5K iMac. If the change was subtle, it may be hard to notice when the update is complete. For those cases, It would be nice if the program displayed a progress indicator. Or is there one that I have not noticed? Occasionally I get the spinning beachball cursor for other operations, but I think those are generated by system level code.

I don't think there is a C1 progress bar for such operations, like there is for e.g. (batch) processing to output. Could be a feature request.

A noise reduction operation triggers not only a change of all image pixels, but also an update to the cached preview. Maybe, by setting a smaller preview size you can save a little bit of time. C1 will not use the preview when you are zoomed in to 100% (it will use the original Raw), which is likely the case when doing noise reduction, but it will still need to create the preview in the background (which takes additional time if it is large).

Cheers,
Bart

Dinarius

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2019, 09:59:11 am »

what i don't like but maybe because i just don't know:

1 not enough lenscorrections available .
2 no history menu
3 No way to standard spot-remove the spots i always have on my sensor ( due to laserlights)

Yes, LR is better on manual lens correction options and having a history palette. C1’s purple fringing just isn’t enough for some lenses; for example, tilt-shift in my experience.

Also, LR’s incorporation of X-Rite’s camera calibration software as a fully-fledged plugin into LR Classic, and which works superbly, is something Phaseone could take note of.

That said, the expanded HDR panel in C1 20 is worth the upgrade alone. I feel like my 5D MkIV has an extra stop of DR.

D.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2019, 03:15:44 pm »

Yes, LR is better on manual lens correction options and having a history palette. C1’s purple fringing just isn’t enough for some lenses; for example, tilt-shift in my experience.

Also, LR’s incorporation of X-Rite’s camera calibration software as a fully-fledged plugin into LR Classic, and which works superbly, is something Phaseone could take note of.

That said, the expanded HDR panel in C1 20 is worth the upgrade alone. I feel like my 5D MkIV has an extra stop of DR.

D.

I have to say I have become more familiar to C1 the last days... thanks to the excellent webinars and videotutorials...
and must correct it is not as fast as LR in developing RAWs, it is, and in some cases 2x as fast on my computer. I guess it depends on the type of corrections .
Also i have learned that you can remove spots easely from every photo by making it a style... (the spotless style)
So there is much to like indeed. It is almost a raw converter, a damm and a photoshop replacement in one package. Maybe it will be in future.
Even RAWculling works fast- It is a pity not all the good stuff from Media pro is incorporated.

So what stands is the lack of corrections for many good lenses... - like Sigma's ART etc...
Yes i can make my very own, but then it is much more hassle make and to apply , (but they will be personal-perfect)
and i would appreciate the possibility to make layers containing different photos. - as in Photoshop.
All in all I find it  far more refined than LR and tailored to professional photographers needs.
Just missed the BlackFriday deals, but there will be others...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:28:50 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

DP

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2019, 08:16:08 pm »

and which works superbly

anybody who bother himself to read manual and tutorial from dcamprof 'd refrain from using the word "superbly" hear ...

jodo

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2019, 09:09:10 pm »

Update to my upgrade woes.
Phase support sent me the message that they had fixed the problem with my coupon code and to try again. I did and it worked.

Caveat. I did have a problem with the shopping cart form that may help someone else. The normal cart has input for all credit card info as usual but when it “clicks” over to free the card info fields are no longer there. My name was there input automagically by the C1 user database. I clicked to continue to download and nothing happened. Well after some time I realized there was a field for my zip code that was vacant and had a faint red line around it. Put in my zip and I was good to go.

So now I’m happily evaluating and learning the upgrades and tools in 20.

Dinarius

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2019, 05:54:23 am »

anybody who bother himself to read manual and tutorial from dcamprof 'd refrain from using the word "superbly" hear ...

Have you tried it as a plug-in with LR Classic (NOT as a stand-alone app)?

D.

G*

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2019, 07:20:00 am »

Hi, everybody.

I experienced something funny for the first time. Maybe it has to do with CO.20, maybe someone knows more about it?

I developed .CR2 files (which I usually don’t, I’m Nikon) in CO, did some lens and keystone corrections, exported as .psd files, worked on the files further in Photoshop, exported to JPG. So far so good. But then, when someone else imported those JPGs into Photoshop, Camera Raw popped up and wanted to do some white balancing and further lens corrections. Why would PS want to do this? I had the same experience on my computer. Then I tried exporting from CO as TIF or even directly as JPG, but always the same: There was no way to have PS simply open the files without Camera Raw interfering. Never had this problem before (CO since 4.0).

Anyone having a clue about what’s going on?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

earlybird

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2019, 08:38:01 am »

my 2 cents:

G*

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2019, 09:07:26 am »

That one works. Thanks a lot!

Now I have the cure, but I have not really understood, what’s been going on and whether it’s due to CO.20 or another thing that I just haven’t been aware of until now.

earlybird

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2019, 10:17:42 am »

I am under the impression that C1 is storing info in the Metadata. I would like to know if there is an option to keep all that "extra" info in the side cars rather than embedded in the image file.

Thank you.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2019, 11:24:25 am »

While getting familiar with C1 v20 I find the way you copy treatment to other images not very clear/transparant.

I can copy only one kind of treatment, for instance exposure settings, or everything; but everything seems to exclude rotation and cropping .
It seems i have to copy rotation separate and the same for cropping.
So to copy rotation, exposure and cropping it is three steps...
Am i doing something wrong? then please let me know.
In LR I very much like the copy treatment panel where you simply can choose what to copy.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up