Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 20 now available  (Read 6073 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One 20 now available
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 11:14:03 am »

Does the term "variants" refer to the .cpf and .cop fils?

Variants are (differently) rendered versions of a Raw file. Each Raw file can be rendered is different ways in Capture One. When you right-mouse-button click on a thumbnail (the current variant), you can choose to create a New Variant (a not yet edited version, beyond default rendering), or Clone a Variant (a copy including all the current edits). One could look at Variants as being snapshots or alternatives of the same Raw source image.

By making such a Variant, one can assign a different/new processing engine to a Variant, or keep the original engine's rendering. Variants can be Picked (made the primary choice), or Promoted/Demoted to change their order of appearance in the list of thumbnails, in the Image menu. This also allows to look at multiple variations of rendering the same Raw file side-by-side, and choose a prefered one.

This also allows to Proof and tweak different Variants for different output media/gamuts, but that can become difficult to track unless you also keep a record of it with added keywording (e.g. add an intended Output medium keyword hierarchy).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:55:34 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 11:18:36 am »

Edit: Found it. Window> workspace> select
A reminder to save your workspace before v12 is replaced with v20 would be great.

Always a good thing, saving the preferred workspace layout, or layouts for different workflows.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 11:28:37 am »

Process button moved...sucks.

I've been using C1 since V3 and now they move the process button.  Really, what for?  Can I have my old placement back....please?
Craig Lamson Photo

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 11:55:02 am »

I am new to C1 - am a LR user, and must say i like some parts of it very much.
But I think LR is faster in developing: C1 hardly uses the CPU ( 15% of one core) so you need a very fast GPU. LR used to be slow,  but now uses the GPU and the CPU together while developing.

what i don't like but maybe because i just don't know:

1 not enough lenscorrections available .
2 no history menu
3 No way to standard spot-remove the spots i always have on my sensor ( due to laserlights)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

gazwas

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 12:00:35 pm »

Little things like this annoy the hell out of me  - Why move something as long serving, familiar and heavily used as the process button?  >:(

I've always made adjustments to the selected recipe then hit the process button. If none of the recipe details change I have the process icon in the toolbar over the browser - why now put it in the recipe list?

This is like when we all knew (in the old days) the image browser to be on the RHS then Phase decided it should default to along the bottom just for the hell of it. Thanks goodness the image browser position became moveable.

The joys of getting old and grumpy........  ;D
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Craig Lamson

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 12:11:38 pm »

;D
Craig Lamson Photo

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 12:13:33 pm »

Little things like this annoy the hell out of me  - Why move something as long serving, familiar and heavily used as the process button?  >:(

I've always made adjustments to the selected recipe then hit the process button. If none of the recipe details change I have the process icon in the toolbar over the browser - why now put it in the recipe list?

This is like when we all knew (in the old days) the image browser to be on the RHS then Phase decided it should default to along the bottom just for the hell of it. Thanks goodness the image browser position became moveable.

;D  CTRL+D does the trick...

earlybird

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »

Thank you!

Craig Lamson

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 03:07:31 pm »

;D  CTRL+D does the trick...
IMO
It doesn't solve the real issue.  Moving a long placed and very important button served no real reason.  Oh if you want to see all the recipes and then process, fine.  But quite frankly that means nothing to me and I really wonder how many it affects.  A far better solution was to leave the dang thing alone and add a SECOND button on the recipes tab if thats what they wanted. 
Craig Lamson Photo

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »

There could be some people who didn't even know that button existed. I didn't :)
With the button at the top I might use it but I'll likely just stick with using the big gear like icon in the tool bar to kick things off. Given the UI that automatically collapses the tool windows or in v20 will scroll the Process Summary off screen that button is likely hardly ever on screen for people. Personally I would have actually ditched it totally.
A button in the window that shows the currently selected recipe but kicks off the processing of all checked recipes is not really a great design. Hence my opinion they should just remove it all together. There is a nice button on the tool bar to do the job.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:41:18 am by UnfamiliarLight »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »

Just for your information it takes C1 1/4 of the time to process 100 GFX100 files compared to Lightroom.
That’s on a 8core / 16thread computer. (With a good graphic card)
I am new to C1 - am a LR user, and must say i like some parts of it very much.
But I think LR is faster in developing: C1 hardly uses the CPU ( 15% of one core) so you need a very fast GPU. LR used to be slow,  but now uses the GPU and the CPU together while developing.

what i don't like but maybe because i just don't know:

1 not enough lenscorrections available .
2 no history menu
3 No way to standard spot-remove the spots i always have on my sensor ( due to laserlights)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 07:21:50 pm »

Just for your information it takes C1 1/4 of the time to process 100 GFX100 files compared to Lightroom.
That’s on a 8core / 16thread computer. (With a good graphic card)
Aha: LR is 2x as fast here on d850 raws... about 40 Raws/minute to tiff 16bit.. C1 about 20
It must be a very good graphics card then...or a slow 8core - or both.   
Mine is a middle of the road AMD radeon 480RX 8tb and the CPU 10 core i9 runs 20 threads at 4.3GHZ
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jodo

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 10:03:32 pm »

Did you select the same upgrade package as you purchased during the pre-ordering?
Did you paste in ALL 17 characters of the code, like “C120PRO-XXXXX-PRE” in the coupon field?

Then in my opinion it should work….

Regards,
Jaap.

Jaap,
My original reply to you seems to have been swallowed by the web.
Yes, I selected the same package as 12 - basic $159
I pasted the “coupon code” directly from the confirmation email.
Including dashes there are 18 characters. In line with your example.
The cart from fastspring returns the error “The promotional code you entered does not exist.”
I have opened a ticket with phase. It’s been almost 24 hours since they last responded. Hope they can quickly cut thru this mess quickly. We’ll see.
Thanks for your reply.
Joe

Ferp

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 11:38:02 pm »

You can have multiple versions installed side by side, in their own subdirectory/folder.

This may have been true in the beta, but it doesn't look quite so simple with the release.  I did the upgrade and downloaded, but was proposing to let the dust settle a bit before installing V20.  However when I opened V12 to do some edits I was told that my license had been deactivated and I was in trial mode.  I assume this was as a result of the upgrade.  So while you may be able to have both installed, you only get one license it seems.  Has it always been like this?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 01:27:53 am »

It has always been the case. Each instance requires an activation. If you have a permanent licence you have 3 activations or if you are a subscriber 2 activations.
You can manage your activations in the captureone.com website

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 01:48:38 am »

Aha: LR is 2x as fast here on d850 raws... about 40 Raws/minute to tiff 16bit.. C1 about 20
It must be a very good graphics card then...or a slow 8core - or both.   
Mine is a middle of the road AMD radeon 480RX 8tb and the CPU 10 core i9 runs 20 threads at 4.3GHZ

On my 6 years old mac pro with 2 GPUs C1 Pro 12 is several times faster than LR.

Cheers,
Bernard

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 04:31:18 am »

I've been using C1 since V3 and now they move the process button.  Really, what for?  Can I have my old placement back....please?

So something that took work and effort, went for nothing, but at the same time some simple things didn't get implemented like overwright on export?
At times it's confusing how the features are considered.

spassig

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 04:48:43 am »

So something that took work and effort, went for nothing, but at the same time some simple things didn't get implemented like overwright on export?
At times it's confusing how the features are considered.

What Do You mean with overwright on export.
I don’t find a translation for German language.

Jochen

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 06:54:22 am »

What Do You mean with overwright on export.
I don’t find a translation for German language.

Jochen

To have the possibility to replace the files on export when a file with the same name is found.
Not sure it helps with the translation ..

spassig

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2019, 07:00:12 am »

To have the possibility to replace the files on export when a file with the same name is found.
Not sure it helps with the translation ..

Thanks, it helps.

Jochen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up