Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon imaging division in trouble  (Read 9327 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Nikon imaging division in trouble
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 07:00:01 am »

Initial issues with some z series cameras relating to IBIS, the peeling off of the rubbles finish, lack of a second card slot have hampered the uptake of this camera locally. Like it or not people are also not fond of adapted lenses and the slow roll out of native glass remains an issue. The Noct is undoubtedly and amazing feat of optical engineering but perhaps resources would have been better deployed to produce a native 70 to 200.

I don’t have it in for Nikon in any way but something has caused the price of the Z series to fall and still not meet Nikons own sales expectations. The above issues come up when I talk to people locally. 
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:52 am »

Initial issues with some z series cameras relating to IBIS, the peeling off of the rubbles finish, lack of a second card slot have hampered the uptake of this camera locally. 

IBIS issues?

Never heard of those. I have certainly never experienced any myself, but I also haven't heard of any in the many forums I roam. ;)

The 70-200mm f2.8 is rumored to be released any time soon, so it doesn't look that Nikon made a choice between the Noct and that lens. What is missing from the Nikon roadmap is a 70-200mm f4 that collapses.

Considering that the F version is still the best 70-200mm f2.8 on the market by a good margin, there is little doubt that the S version will be in a class of its own.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 09:00:59 am »

IBIS issues?

Never heard of those. I have certainly never experienced any myself, but I also haven't heard of any in the many forums I roam. ;)

The 70-200mm f2.8 is rumored to be released any time soon, so it doesn't look that Nikon made a choice between the Noct and that lens. What is missing from the Nikon roadmap is a 70-200mm f4 that collapses.

Considering that the F version is still the best 70-200mm f2.8 on the market by a good margin, there is little doubt that the S version will be in a class of its own.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard...seems like everything Nikon touches is gold...a class in its own...yet sales keep plummeting and not meeting expectations. Something is not lining up IMHO. 

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 09:10:37 am »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 09:38:46 am »

Bernard...seems like everything Nikon touches is gold...a class in its own...yet sales keep plummeting and not meeting expectations. Something is not lining up IMHO.

I don’t understand why you see these 2 statements as incompatible.

Nor why, as a Sony user, you care that much about the financial health of Nikon or about how great a system the Z is.

I personally use both and am objective about their strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:41:54 am by BernardLanguillier »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 10:18:21 am »

The Sony vultures are circling, rubbing their wings with glee.

;-)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:28:21 am by KLaban »

chez

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 10:33:26 am »

I don’t understand why you see these 2 statements as incompatible.

Nor why, as a Sony user, you care that much about the financial health of Nikon or about how great a system the Z is.

I personally use both and am objective about their strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm interested in photography in general and like following how the industry is managing this decline. I don't care about the Z system...just amused with your "class leading" comments on just about anything Nikon releases. That to me just sounds fanboish.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 11:39:37 am »

I keep an eye on a lot of camera companies. Fuji and Nikon mostly but also Canon, Leica, Olympus and Phase. I would be saddened to see any of them fail. I used Canon the most over the years but Nikons failure would be the most upsetting to me. At the moment my needs are best served by Sony for reasons I couldn’t be bothered to go into.

So  vultures circling seems a little dramatic and inaccurate.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 04:56:21 pm »

Seems to me, only the craziest (buyers and companies) will survive in the future. Look at the Canon's new lineup: all are $3,000 lenses with crazy f/stops: 1.0, 1.2 etc. 18mm f/1.0 and 25mm f/1.2! Who the hack needs those!? And can afford?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 05:23:20 pm »

Seems to me, only the craziest (buyers and companies) will survive in the future. Look at the Canon's new lineup: all are $3,000 lenses with crazy f/stops: 1.0, 1.2 etc. 18mm f/1.0 and 25mm f/1.2! Who the hack needs those!? And can afford?

Aren’t you confusing patents and line-up?

If they were the same we would have had 100mp canon cameras for many many years.

Canon has been using patents publication as a marketing tool.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 05:27:15 pm »

I'm interested in photography in general and like following how the industry is managing this decline. I don't care about the Z system...just amused with your "class leading" comments on just about anything Nikon releases. That to me just sounds fanboish.

My class leading comments are far from covering everything Nikon does.

They are targeted at aspects where Nikon is best in class based on objective reports or my own comparisons.

Since you have never shot with a Nikon Z I have no idea how you would know these aspects are not best in class.

I fully acknowledge the superiority of Sony in some areas. The one domain where it’s clear is eye AF and it’s the sole reason why I have added some Sony bodies to my line up.

But even there, although it is clearly better, it’s far from being the holy grail Sony fan clubs makes it to be.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:15:55 pm by BernardLanguillier »

chez

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 05:34:40 pm »

My class leading comments are far from covering everything Nikon does.

They are targeted at aspects where Nikon is best in class based on objective reports or my own comparisons.

Since you have never shot with a Nikon Z I have no idea how you would know these aspects are not best in class.

I fully acknowledge the superiority of Sony in some areas. The one domain where it’s clear is eye AF and it’s the sole reason why I have added some Sony bodies to my line up.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm not talking about the Z system...but your continuous view of their class leading equipment. Seems at odds that something that is class leading is losing in sales and Nikon needing to drop the prices to get some interest. If things were truly class leading...surely Nikon would not need to put on a fire sale.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 06:14:17 pm »

I'm not talking about the Z system...but your continuous view of their class leading equipment. Seems at odds that something that is class leading is losing in sales and Nikon needing to drop the prices to get some interest. If things were truly class leading...surely Nikon would not need to put on a fire sale.

I don’t have consistent views about Nikon’s class leading equipment. That’s a myth you have created. I have always been very specific and rarely proven wrong.

It seems hard to have an adult conversation with you.

Your points as so riddled with contradictions and lack of logic that I’ll stop here.

Be happy in your little Sony world. I’ll continue to use whatever brand works for me based on the objective strengths of each system.

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 06:24:38 pm »

I don’t have consistent views about Nikon’s class leading equipment. That’s a myth you have created. I have always been very specific and rarely proven wrong.

It seems it is not a myth he created but a reality you have admitted to:

Even I, the worst Nikon fanboy on the whole internet, am 10 times more objective about Nikon’s weaknesses than you are about Trump. ;)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 06:30:46 pm »

It seems it is not a myth he created but a reality you have admitted to:

I am sure you can tell the difference between a second degree joke and the dark and idiotic fanboism of chez.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 06:59:37 pm »

It seems hard to have an adult conversation with you.

Your points as so riddled with contradictions and lack of logic that I’ll stop here.

Be happy in your little Sony world. I’ll continue to use whatever brand works for me based on the objective strengths of each system.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, I'm just calling them as I see them. Have you any idea how many times you said "class leading" when talking about Nikon?

Oh...and I also shoot with Canon, Fuji and Tachihara equipment...all "class leading" in their own ways.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2019, 07:05:15 pm »

Bernard, I'm just calling them as I see them. Have you any idea how many times you said "class leading" when talking about Nikon?

Oh...and I also shoot with Canon, Fuji and Tachihara equipment...all "class leading" in their own ways.

The only way Tachihara is class leading is on price. But the owner is a very fine gentlemen that I once met in Tokyo many years ago.

According to every other metric than price, his competent caneras fall behind the now out of business Ebony. Out of business because the adorable daughter of the owner didn’t want to take over when her father decided to retire at 70. Yes, I know them too.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2019, 07:07:36 pm »

About Nikon as a whole? Not a single time.

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:26 pm »

... Seems at odds that something that is class leading is losing in sales...

Not odd at all. Being “class leading” in technical sense doesn’t necessarily translate into sales, which are a function of multiple possible factors, one of which might be that majority of people do not know or care about “class leading.” Economic history is littered with examples of companies having a technically superior product, yet losing the market.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up