Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability Engineering  (Read 1334 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Reliability Engineering
« on: October 20, 2019, 07:50:21 am »

US military is upgrading the computer equipment programmed for launching a nuclear strike and running off eight inch floppy disks. 

The U.S. military has finally put an end to the 1970s-era system that’s been running their nuclear weapons.
In 2016, the Government Accountability Office reported that the department’s system — responsible for intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft — runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer — a 1970s computing system — and uses eight-inch floppy disks. “This system remains in use because, in short, it still works,” Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. Valerie Henderson told the AFP news agency.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6050411/nuclear-weapons-system-floppy-disks/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Reliability Engineering
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 08:09:35 am »

US military is upgrading the computer equipment programmed for launching a nuclear strike and running off eight inch floppy disks. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6050411/nuclear-weapons-system-floppy-disks/
Scary.  On the other hand, I'm still shooting film.  :)

Here's a personal story about using old equipment, really obsolete.  When I did Energy Management Systems design and installation in my own business in the 1980's, I used equipment that controlled HVAC and lighting systems in commercial buildings in New Jersey and elsewhere from NYC where my company was located.  I had service contracts for 25 years afterwards through  about 2012 to maintain these systems.  I never changed the communication modems in all those years.  They operated at 1200 baud (1200bps) at a time when internet speeds had grown to be in the millions of bps.  When I downloaded the data from the remote buildings, the information would crawl across the monitor at a speed a little faster than I could type.  But the system was stable as anything.  Breakdowns occured in the sensors attached to the computer equipment. Or wiring got broken.  But I only had one or two modem failures in 25 years.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:22:39 am »

I sharpen all my drawing pencils with a single edged razor blade...I include a picture, many a young folk have never encountered these.

Peter

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 08:31:26 am »

That old IBM Series-1 computer was running on a mean but lean operating system and couldn't be hacked.
If you replaced it with Windows-10, the incoming rockets would hit the computer command center before the operating system could boot.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 08:36:03 am »

That old IBM Series-1 computer was running on a mean but lean operating system and couldn't be hacked.
If you replaced it with Windows-10, the incoming rockets would hit the computer command center before the operating system could boot.
That's exactly what I was thinking.  My antique system was also password protected to communicate with it.  But you had to know my daughter's name.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:10 am »

I sharpen all my drawing pencils with a single edged razor blade...I include a picture, many a young folk have never encountered these.

Peter
Peter, those blades have USA on them.  I didn't realize we still make things like that. :)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 08:39:25 am »

Peter, those blades have USA on them.  I didn't realize we still make things like that. :)

Amazing, is it not???

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 08:46:06 am »

Hi Les, An even more scary situation is the idea of a single high-altitude burst. We've reached a point with automation where the EMP from such a burst would keep even your car from running. It'd bring everything to a screeching halt. If you lived in a city and wanted to go on eating, you'd have to grow beans in your window boxes.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 09:02:48 am »

Hi Les, An even more scary situation is the idea of a single high-altitude burst. We've reached a point with automation where the EMP from such a burst would keep even your car from running. It'd bring everything to a screeching halt. If you lived in a city and wanted to go on eating, you'd have to grow beans in your window boxes.
My film cameras would still work.  Of course I couldn't send film out for processing.   :)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 09:35:12 am »

As much as I like my new oven, cant stand that it needs electricity to run.  I miss the old school pilots lights, which most commercial stoves still utilize. 

At least I can still light a burner with a match; the thermostat in the oven is electric, so no go with that. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:49:58 am »

As much as I like my new oven, cant stand that it needs electricity to run.  I miss the old school pilots lights, which most commercial stoves still utilize. 

At least I can still light a burner with a match; the thermostat in the oven is electric, so no go with that.

I have had a wood stove to heat my house since it was built. I have endured may winter power outages over the past 30 plus years, without a heating issue. I have also used the stove to cook and heat water to make life a little better in such trying times. 

It's a very healing heat as well. After a frigid early morning outing to gather info for my paintings, it's a wonderful friend to sit next to...

Peter

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 09:58:13 am »

Same as my house.  Unfortunately, the electric oven is the worse to broil a steak.  Tried it once when I moved here.  Then immediately ran out and bought a BBQ (propane gas) for my steaks.  I make them summer and winter.  I keep it about 5 feet from the back door so I can pop in and out quickly in case it's raining or snowing. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 10:11:20 am »

I have had a wood stove to heat my house since it was built. I have endured may winter power outages over the past 30 plus years, without a heating issue. I have also used the stove to cook and heat water to make life a little better in such trying times. 

It's a very healing heat as well. After a frigid early morning outing to gather info for my paintings, it's a wonderful friend to sit next to...

Peter

We're not allowed wood burning fireplaces in my 55+ community.  Natural gas only.  We bought a resale when we moved here.  It didn't have a fireplace, something we wanted.  But a gas fireplace just became too costly and complicated to install.  And let's face it, just not the same anyway as a wood burning one. So we designed a fireplace and bookshelf that included an electric "fake" fireplace with electric strip heater.  The fire looks very realistic.  We put it in a real firebox made for natural gas with the screen mesh front and fireplace tools, etc.  So we could upgrade to real gas one day.  It's not the same as wood.  But it does look pretty good and its convenient.  Just one switch on a remote "clicker" to operate it.  We don;t bother with the electric heating strip though.  And I miss the crackle.  They do have artificial "crackler" recordings.  But I decided against that in the end.  A little too fake.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 10:14:53 am »

My first house was a small bungalow with a large airtight wood stove. It heated the whole house and you could boil on its top a pot of water.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 10:15:53 am »

Same as my house.  Unfortunately, the electric oven is the worse to broil a steak.  Tried it once when I moved here.  Then immediately ran out and bought a BBQ (propane gas) for my steaks.  I make them summer and winter.  I keep it about 5 feet from the back door so I can pop in and out quickly in case it's raining or snowing.

Electric ovens are horrible; thankfully I have a gas oven, it just needs power for the spark ignition.  When we bought our house, anything with an electric stove was ignored. 

Going back to heating, I have radiators and my boiler is old enough that it has an manual ignition, so I can get it to run.  It just would not shut off unless I physically shut it off.  Also, the the circulating pump would no longer be operating.  So I would have to rely on convection to circulate the water, which is how they use to work but just takes longer to heat the house. 

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:00 am »

In an ideal world the best oven is electric for more consistent temps and a faster heating as well as dryer burn. The cooktop should be gas for a more subtle control and instant off. So it's a duel fuel oven and cooktop for the best of both. Can and most likely will cost a bit more.

If I ever redo the kitchen it will my choice of oven.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:02:20 am by petermfiore »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 11:25:49 am »

In an ideal world the best oven is electric for more consistent temps and a faster heating as well as dryer burn. The cooktop should be gas for a more subtle control and instant off. So it's a duel fuel oven and cooktop for the best of both. Can and most likely will cost a bit more.

Peter

Interesting idea. 

My broiler has both a gas burner and electric heating rod, which I can see both at the roof operating when I use the broiler.  I now wonder if the oven heat comes from both gas burners and electric rod as well, which I would not be able to see due to the oven floor?   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 11:29:07 am »

Peter
That's what we have.  The electric oven does heat up quicker and keep more consistent temps.  But it's awful for steaks.  The gas range is nice although the wiring got damaged to the starters and the entire harness had to be replaced.  They wouldn't stop clicking and no it wasn;t water.  We tried to dry it out for two days without success.  So we pulled the breaker to stop the clicking and used matches until the repairman fixed it.  Everytime I turn around there's something else I have to pay for.  I shouldn't complain.  It's actually a nice house and pretty reliable.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 11:33:39 am »

The other problem with electric ranges and ovens, electric anything, is the cost of electricity is so high.  At least here.  It really can get expensive if you heat with electricity.  Years ago the utility in NYS offered rebates if you installed electric heating.  Those who did are really sorry today what with the price of electricity.  It's skyrocketed compare to natural gas or oil. 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 11:44:24 am »

The other problem with electric ranges and ovens, electric anything, is the cost of electricity is so high.  At least here.  It really can get expensive if you heat with electricity.  Years ago the utility in NYS offered rebates if you installed electric heating.  Those who did are really sorry today what with the price of electricity.  It's skyrocketed compare to natural gas or oil.

Here ( Netherlands) we pay about 0,2 €/ kilowatt
and gasoline about 1.70€ a litre.

I am sure the gas is cheaper in the US we have a lot of tax on it.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up