Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability Engineering  (Read 1335 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: Reliability Engineering
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »

My house is egregiously huge and it's my fault because I designed it. My heating season extends from the beginning of October to the end of March.

For the previous 15 years, I heated with wood.  Feeding the open maw of the admittedly extremely efficient stove gave me some degree of satisfaction and exercise and, like most wood-heated householders, I declared that "There's no heat like wood heat."  This despite the fact that I was introducing into the atmosphere tens of thousands of pounds of carbon.  Every year.

Recently, the price of firewood increased substantially and I was tiring of the endless moving of firewood from one place to another. I decided last January to install a "mini-split" - an electrical air-source heat pump. Interestingly, this purchase coincided with a record cold spell, with temps approaching minus 20 C.  That's close to zero for you last remnants of the Fahrenheit scale users. 

The heat pump worked amazingly well, perfectly, in fact, keeping the entire house cozy with no intervention from me other than selecting the temperature via the wireless remote.  I no longer had to shovel a path to the woodpile and I've not had a heat fire since.

Unlike most furnaces that cycle on and off, this system gradually throttles itself, so its operation is near-silent and undetectable in operation.

Several areas of the house, unusable in summer due to solar heating (the sun room!) are now usable year 'round.  Not only does this thing heat the house, it cools it, too.  With the new reality of high 30's C in summer, this is delightful.

My wife takes care of the household accounting and, after a few months of operation she reported the cost of the electricity used to heat and cool the house with this new system.  It was cheaper than firewood.

Of course, there's nothing like a wood stove. Mine is in the kitchen, where I and both see and feel it, and it's lovely.  But now, I can have a fire when I want one, not when I have to.

And I'm saving both money AND the planet.  :) :) :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 02:58:27 pm »

Here ( Netherlands) we pay about 0,2 €/ kilowatt
and gasoline about 1.70€ a litre.

I am sure the gas is cheaper in the US we have a lot of tax on it.

Your price of  0,2 €/ kilowatt is about $.22kwh.  Price here in New Jersey is around $0.125kwh or  0,11 €/ kilowatt.  Your electric costs are about 80% higher than ours.  Of course, in NYC it's higher.

Gasoline (regular 87 octane) here in New Jersey is about $2.50 gallon. Or $2.50/3.8L= $.66 a liter or  0,59 € a litre. About 1/3 your cost.  No wonder why you drive small cars with high mileage.  On the other hand, we drive more miles than you do.  My wife and I probably drive a total of 17000 miles a year. Or 27000km.  What's your driving like? 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »

A friend in Germany has a 15 year old small Lexus with 55K km. That's about 3,666 km per year.
They are both retired, live in a small town, and can walk to most stores.

I drive these days about 5 times as much, which is 4 times less than my mileage from 20 years ago. Excluding the rental car miles.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 07:40:44 pm »

A friend in Germany has a 15 year old small Lexus with 55K km. That's about 3,666 km per year.
They are both retired, live in a small town, and can walk to most stores.

I drive these days about 5 times as much, which is 4 times less than my mileage from 20 years ago. Excluding the rental car miles.
Wow, you used to drive 70K miles?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »

60,000-70,000km some years (NOT miles).  I did a lot of paddling and boating, and for that I had to drive long distances.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 08:09:28 pm »

60,000-70,000km some years (NOT miles).  I did a lot of paddling and boating, and for that I had to drive long distances.

Right.  Kilometers.  Are you guys still on the metric system? :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 08:19:18 pm »

Right.  Kilometers.  Are you guys still on the metric system? :)

Since 1970. But we use also dollars. Some years ago they were worth more than their American counterparts.
And we use also gallons. Bigger than yours.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 08:33:59 pm »

Since 1970. But we use also dollars. Some years ago they were worth more than their American counterparts.
And we use also gallons. Bigger than yours.

Right. Imperial gallons.  Are you still part of the Commonwealth?  :)

BJL

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 09:21:20 pm »

I sharpen all my drawing pencils with a single edged razor blade...I include a picture, many a young folk have never encountered these.
On the subject old school (literally) writing tools, today I needed ink for my fountain pens. It comes from the same place as one-edged razors: the art supply shop.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 09:23:10 pm »

Right. Imperial gallons.  Are you still part of the Commonwealth?  :)

Yes, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is our commander in chief.

As to the measures or sizing, the most nonsensical are the aspirin dosages in USA and Canada - 325mg, 500mg and 800mg. Maybe some doctor came up with those numbers.
And then when it came to a decision for the low dosage aspirin, some dimwit in charge decided that the low dosage for heart patients should be exactly a quarter of the regular size (325mg). That's how we ended up with the silly 81mg for the baby aspirins (100mg in Europe). BTW, same dosage for a 100lb lady as for a 250lb man. Poor example of applied science or a reliable engineering.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:26:33 pm by LesPalenik »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 09:40:54 pm »

I'm on baby aspirin.  Did you ever try to split a 325mg aspirin into 4 equal parts of 81mg? Of course, I bought the pre-measured ones.  But there was a recent article study that people shouldn;t take them.  I asked my cardiologist, the one who doesn't care about meats only carbs,  and he said I should continue them regardless.  It's hard to go against the guy who got me Dr. Naka. 

BJL

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »

As to the measures or sizing, the most nonsensical are the aspirin dosages in USA and Canada - 325mg, 500mg and 800mg.
Well, the 325g is completely obvious: it is 5 grains, the grain being the fundamental unit of weight in all _three_ of the old British systems (troy, avoirdupois and Apothecaries') plus the American system, with the pound defined as 7000 grains. It is supposedly the weight of a grain of barley. Apothocaries seem to have been particularly fond of the grain measure.

The 500g dose in the USA is a weird half-way modernism—like deli scales that measure in tenths of a pound rather than ounces.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:59 pm »

I'm on baby aspirin.  Did you ever try to split a 325mg aspirin into 4 equal parts of 81mg? Of course, I bought the pre-measured ones.  But there was a recent article study that people shouldn't take them.  I asked my cardiologist, the one who doesn't care about meats only carbs,  and he said I should continue them regardless.  It's hard to go against the guy who got me Dr. Naka.
No surprise that most cardiologists recommend baby aspirins for heart patients. That's what they learned 40 years ago. Nobody will sue them for endorsing aspirin. Same as the old "wisdom" in the IT industry - nobody got fired for recommending IBM. My cardiologist is of the same opinion as yours, but that doesn't mean they are right.
Several recent studies conclude that baby aspirin doesn't help everybody in the same way, and in some cases it can be more harmful than beneficial. It depends on your age, type of diet, current state of your arteries, your other medications, and additional factors. Eating a plant-based diet and regular exercise will do definitely more for your heart and general well-being than any number of aspirin pills. 

One of the new studies included more than 15,000 people with diabetes, a disease that boosts the risk of cardiovascular problems by two to three times. The study volunteers took a 100-mg aspirin tablet or a placebo for an average of nearly seven-and-a-half years. Over all, the benefits of aspirin were partially counterbalanced by the risks. For every 1,000 people taking aspirin, 11 avoided a serious vascular event (heart attack, stroke, ministroke, or cardiovascular-related death). But nine experienced bleeding that was serious enough to result in hospitalization or death, which means the risks and benefits were about the same. The study appeared in the August 26 New England Journal of Medicine.

The second study, in the August 26 Lancet, included more than 12,500 people, all of whom had several risk factors for heart disease, such as elevated cholesterol, high blood pressure, or being a smoker (but not diabetes). They also took a daily 100-mg aspirin tablet or a placebo. Over a five-year period, aspirin did not lower heart attacks or related events. Gastrointestinal bleeding was low, but it was twice as likely to occur in people who took aspirin.

"Often, people come into my office and tell me they're taking aspirin because they've heard it prevents heart attacks," says Dr. Cannon. These new studies show that's not always the case — and that aspirin may do more harm than good for people who've never experienced a heart-related event.

In a nutshell, people with diabetes appear to benefit from aspirin, but the risk of bleeding offsets some of that benefit. These studies suggest that for people who don't have diabetes — as well as anyone who is age 70 or older — aspirin provides no heart benefit and seems to increase your odds of bleeding. This means some people currently taking low-dose aspirin should consider stopping it, says Dr. Cannon.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/rethinking-low-dose-aspirin

According to the latest Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, the AHA and American College of Cardiology no longer recommend taking a daily low-dose aspirin for heart health. After decades of advising low-dose aspirin as an effective preventative measure for heart attacks and stroke, the new 2019 guidelines now say aspirin be used infrequently due to “lack of net benefit.”

This drastic change in the AHA’s guidelines comes after a recent, large-scale study on the subject—the Aspirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly (ASPREE) Study, which discovered not only was aspirin ineffective in preventing heart problems, but it actually led to a higher chance of hemorrhage than placebo. Upon further review of this study, researchers found the otherwise-healthy participants taking the daily low-dose aspirin were also linked to a higher mortality rate in general.

https://www.cookinglight.com/news/aspirin-heart-attack-stroke-aha

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

Personally, I follow Dr. John McDougall advice (see below), and it seems to work well:

Heart disease and strokes are not due to “any deficiency in aspirin or fish oil”.
The wisest way to prevent tragedies from a defective blood vessel system is to deal with the cause: your first-line therapy should be a low-fat, no-cholesterol diet.
Add to this sensible diet both daily exercise and healthy habits, and you will be well on your way to protection from heart disease.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 11:21:42 pm »

Well, the 325g is completely obvious: it is 5 grains, the grain being the fundamental unit of weight in all _three_ of the old British systems (troy, avoirdupois and Apothecaries') plus the American system, with the pound defined as 7000 grains. It is supposedly the weight of a grain of barley. Apothocaries seem to have been particularly fond of the grain measure.

The 500g dose in the USA is a weird half-way modernism—like deli scales that measure in tenths of a pound rather than ounces.

Thanks for mentioning the historical background for using the grain size as basic measurements.

I believe that in UK, the standard aspirin size is 300mg, and in Germany I've seen 500mg and 650mg pills. When it comes to baby aspirin, they come in 75, 81 and 100mg dosages. Obviously, if needed, a heavier person should take the larger size than a small petite person or a child.

jeremyrh

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 03:37:46 am »

US military is upgrading the computer equipment programmed for launching a nuclear strike and running off eight inch floppy disks. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6050411/nuclear-weapons-system-floppy-disks/

A young colleague asked me what is the icon meaning "save" in the shortcuts bar of a software.  Dooohh!!

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 04:25:25 am »

Thanks for mentioning the historical background for using the grain size as basic measurements.

I believe that in UK, the standard aspirin size is 300mg, and in Germany I've seen 500mg and 650mg pills. When it comes to baby aspirin, they come in 75, 81 and 100mg dosages. Obviously, if needed, a heavier person should take the larger size than a small petite person or a child.

Some years ago, I found myself in Scotland without apirin tablets that I take every day in accordance with the cardio's advice. Here, in Spain, the dosage is 100mg. When I asked the Scottish medic for that he almost had a heart event himself: he told me no, that's way too high, and I think I got a 50mg or 60mm prescription. I do have a history of two attacks, and current blood test show my two cholestrol levels to be okay. It is all very confusing.

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 05:15:30 am »

I sharpen all my drawing pencils with a single edged razor blade...I include a picture, many a young folk have never encountered these.

Peter

All young male people have encountered them - it's what they use at hipster barbers where you get your beard trimmed and a nice shoulder massage at the same time :-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 06:23:30 am »

All young male people have encountered them - it's what they use at hipster barbers where you get your beard trimmed and a nice shoulder massage at the same time :-)

The youth I speak of are mainly women and are from China. They don't know the blade. At least in this version. These youths are my students and use straight razors for sharpening pencils!!! Those they know...

Peter
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:28:00 am by petermfiore »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 07:51:38 am »

The youth I speak of are mainly women and are from China. They don't know the blade. At least in this version. These youths are my students and use straight razors for sharpening pencils!!! Those they know...

Peter
Peter:  That's fascinating.  So the blades are imported from the USA?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 08:52:10 am »

Peter:  That's fascinating.  So the blades are imported from the USA?
Alan,

That's just one example...How much are imported, I have no knowledge...

Peter
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up