Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New HP Z9+ Evaluation Video  (Read 11753 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Re: New HP Z9+ Evaluation Video
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2021, 01:00:08 am »

Firmware is the largest part of the printer operating software resident on the hard drive (proprietary formatting unfortunately). It does indeed have to interact with connected computers, and there you can have errors due to incompatibilities on either side of the print workflow.
Luckily the firmware is written for a robust installation that doesn't have to keep up with all the dot updates to operating systems and application level updates.
It is frustrating to say the least to find HP not maintaining software nor firmware for these printers.
They gave us innovation with features with the z9 and z6 yet abandoned the market which it is intended for.
I am selling mine or hoping to be able to. That would hurt to give it away or send it to the dump as it is brand new!
Reading here,  it looks like there is zero market for HP for what we do.
I am trying to find a way of allowing communication between printer and MacOs Mohave. If I remember right there are SSL certificates to allow.... but I don't remember where why how

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2021, 04:46:11 pm »

Firmware is the largest part of the printer operating software resident on the hard drive (proprietary formatting unfortunately). It does indeed have to interact with connected computers, and there you can have errors due to incompatibilities on either side of the print workflow.
Luckily the firmware is written for a robust installation that doesn't have to keep up with all the dot updates to operating systems and application level updates.
It is frustrating to say the least to find HP not maintaining software nor firmware for these printers.
They gave us innovation with features with the z9 and z6 yet abandoned the market which it is intended for.
I am selling mine or hoping to be able to. That would hurt to give it away or send it to the dump as it is brand new!
Reading here,  it looks like there is zero market for HP for what we do.
I am trying to find a way of allowing communication between printer and MacOs Mohave. If I remember right there are SSL certificates to allow.... but I don't remember where why how

PM sent Neil. - Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

GST

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2021, 01:37:34 am »

There is a new firmware out for the Z9: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-z9-postscript-printer-series/21158678/swItemId/pl-259940-2
I´m curious whether this fixes some or most of the known issues so far?

cu

Sad to see Neil Snape to sell his Z9+DR on ebay...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 02:27:46 am by GST »

deanwork

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2021, 09:52:34 am »

If you read the “fixes” doc on that firmware download, it mostly references the web server glitches. I don’t see anything listed that relates to what the real concerns were :  1. Inability to create custom profiling patches beyond the basic 400 or so target. 2. Inability of the color center to customize the amount of gloss enhancer needed to work adequately with fiber gloss media.

I don’t know what Hps current relationship is with X-Rite is but this could be one source of the dumbing down of the Zs color center capability. At any rate, it may be too late to fix the reputation of this company in the fine art photo market. If you can’t trust they will maintain the software in the future, it’s just too risky. But miracles have happened.

John

There is a new firmware out for the Z9: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-z9-postscript-printer-series/21158678/swItemId/pl-259940-2
I´m curious whether this fixes some or most of the known issues so far?

cu

Sad to see Neil Snape to sell his Z9+DR on ebay...

chromebright

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2022, 07:04:54 pm »

An update on my continuing problems creating custom profiles using the z9+ and MacOS: 

After reading some of Mark Lindquist's postings elsewhere in the printing forum I am now realizing that the incompatibility is probably between the HP Designjet Print Utility and the MacOS rather that between the printer's firmware and the MacOS.  So I will try to download an older version of the print utility that Mark is offering to us on the forum and see if that solves the problem.

Furthermore, I have now been in communication with the Designjet High Value Team engineers in Ottawa, Canada for over a year regarding this issue.  The latest engineer assigned to me has been extremely helpful and even went to the trouble of bringing a z9+ printer and mac computer into his personal workspace to attempt to duplicate my problem.  He confirmed that, at least Mac 10.14.2 and the z9+ would not produce custom profiles and that he received the same error message that I continually get. 

His last communication with me last week indicated that HP software engineers were currently in contact with Apple engineers in a attempt to resolve this problem.

That said, I am still extremely happy with the prints I am making using existing Hahnemuhle profiles.

Ken Susman
Mendocino, CA

enduser

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2022, 08:31:40 pm »

An amazing effort to get such attention from a manufacturer. Has anyone achieved this with Epson or Canon?

chromebright

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2022, 12:47:26 pm »

Thanks.....it's been a long, frustrating process.  The engineer even extended my warranty which was about to expire last month until the problem is hopefully resolved.  Very very nice guy. 

On another related subject....I made a print recently that was at the very end of a roll.  When finishing, the paper tore a corner when pulling off of the core and then this tear damaged the star wheel bar.  I didn't realize the problem immediately but kept ruining the leading edge of paper I tried to load.  The little star wheels are held in place by a spring and one spring had been pulled loose and two of the star wheels had been lost.  The spring was hanging down into the paper path and tearing the leading edge of paper that was loading. 

Because I was still under warranty, HP sent me by overnight UPS, a brand new star wheel bar that was really simple to install.  All is now well again. 

I just wish HP would get the MacOS issue resolved.....LexJet from whom I purchased the printer gave up on me and now refuse to answer my calls regarding the MacOS issue.  The technician there finally told me to buy an inexpensive PC laptop to use as my printing source. 

KS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up