Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A9II - the end of modernity?  (Read 3506 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: A9II - the end of modernity?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 12:15:06 am »

Which Sony is best for landscapes?  Best lenses?

The a7rIV.

24mm f1.4 probably?

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 01:49:36 am »

A7R4. Lenses is harder to say. Depends on how you shoot I guess. I like 28mm, 50mm and about a 90mm for landscapes. Make the 90 a macro and you have lots of stuff to shoot. Bernard’s suggestion of a 24mm 1.4 is a good one. I tend to sacrifice large maximum apertures, which I tend not to use, for size so usually go for more modest maximum apertures. There really are loads of lenses available.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 05:10:03 am »

By the look of it there is a demand for the rumored version of the camera.
I wonder if Sony ever considers an A9[add some letter here], the A9 mk2 version but with a 36MP sensor.
The technology is there and it's a missing piece in the lineup.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 05:26:22 am »

By the look of it there is a demand for the rumored version of the camera.
I wonder if Sony ever considers an A9[add some letter here], the A9 mk2 version but with a 36MP sensor.
The technology is there and it's a missing piece in the lineup.

Are you sure the technology is there? I’m asking because the reports I have read say that the particular stacked sensor with onboard memory is not currently available at 36MP.

I’m also not sure that the people this camera is aimed at see 36MP as such a big deal. My feeling is at this end of the market the MP wars are pretty much irrelevant.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 06:06:10 am »

A7R4. Lenses is harder to say. Depends on how you shoot I guess. I like 28mm, 50mm and about a 90mm for landscapes. Make the 90 a macro and you have lots of stuff to shoot. Bernard’s suggestion of a 24mm 1.4 is a good one. I tend to sacrifice large maximum apertures, which I tend not to use, for size so usually go for more modest maximum apertures. There really are loads of lenses available.

Indeed. I suggested the f1.4 version not because f1.4 is relevant for landscape but because it’s image quality is said to be the best among the Sony’s wides.

But I have only limited knowledge of Sony’s line up so there may be even better options.

I personally like 24mm but many obviously find this not to be wide enough.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 01:42:48 am »

The newly announced a9II follows the a7IV in being a modest update compared to the 2-3 years old a9. The sensor is pretty much the same (no global shutter, no 36mp, no multi-layer sensor,...), the speed is pretty much the same, the UI is pretty much the same,...

Certainly useful tweaks for actual photographers, but an evolution more than a revolution. The AF will certainly have progressed but Sony themselves are pretty low key about that.

I had the cash ready for the rumored game changer but probably won’t be spending it.

To me this marks the end of the romantic myth about the endless pace of progress Sony can deliver to the market. It remains a great day for Sony photographers but it sucks big time for Sony fan boys.

If anything, I believe that there must be some extremely relieved people at Canon HQ.

Cheers,
Bernard

The changes were definitely focused on the sports photographer. If one is not a sports photographer, this upgrade probably doesn't warrant the price...but the A9 is a great deal on the used market.

I don't see Sony advancing at its previous rate until CaNikon has something out that challenges the A9. Currently they just have rumours and their existing mirrorless system trails by a fair amount even Sony's previous generation of cameras.

With a decreasing market, I can see Sony waiting a bit until CaNikon does something and then we'll see Sony again release new advances.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 01:51:51 am »

If I made a brutally honest assessment of my kit I would sell the A9 and the A7R3 and buy the A7r4. It allows high res when needed and when I shoot products will give me a good focal length increase at 26MP when engaging APSC. A perfect all round camera for my commercial work. I would throw in an APSC body for backup, they are cheap as chips.

Problem with that is I am so unreasonably attached to the A9. I love using it for my personal work.  I don’t feel a need to buy the upgrade but I cant bring myself to sell off the one I have. Even if doing so makes commercial sense.

chez

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 02:16:02 am »

So you are railing against Sony fanboys and not Sony. Low hanging fruit.

Yeh...and that's coming from the "Nikon can do no wrong" guy...or should I say fanboy.

chez

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 02:18:36 am »

A7R4...but the A7R2 is a great buy used. As far as lenses goes for landscape, the sky is the limit. You can basically use any lens out there for landscape photography.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2019, 04:04:05 am »

Yeh...and that's coming from the "Nikon can do no wrong" guy...or should I say fanboy.

I don’t remember writing that the Z9 would be able to teleport photographers to the moon though.

But that’s pretty much what a couple of Sony fans on this very forum were predicting for the a9II. ;)

As far as Nikon doing no wrong. I am very critical of their pace of delivery on the Z system, I think they should have fitted the Z6/7 with two memory slots, I think that firmware 2.01 should have been the level of AF performance to ship the camera with, I think that even with firmware 2.01 they are still behind the a7rIV in terms of eye AF, I think that their policy for software update in alignement with OS releases is really poor (recent iOS 13 update issues with Snapbridge is just incredible), I think that their mgt of stock is abysmal (how many great lenses remain unavailable for months after release),... this being far more critical than anything I have ever seen you write about Sony my friend.

The praise I have given to Nikon have always been confirmed to be accurate. From the DR of the D3X to the AF of the D850 and now the outstanding quality of Z glass.

And I have always praised Sony for their innovation and market shaking potential. I am just noting a clear slow down with the a9II, even understanding that this camera clearly targets sport shooters, which I have always known contrary to the same Sony fans who were describing it as an alrounder and therefore sure it would come with a 36mp sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:06:38 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 04:09:45 am »

Assuming prime lenses with low distortion and excellent performance into the edges/corners:

Wide angles: Batis 18, Batis 25, Loxia 21.

Short teles: Batis 85, Loxia 85, Voigtlander 65 macro, Voigltander 110 macro, Sony 90 macro.

Curiously, from my previous Sony experience, all the Sony and Zeiss 35mm lenses have some sort of shortcoming, compared to the above lenses, for landscapes. Even my favourite, the ZA 35 f1.4, has some field curvature.

scooby70

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 05:19:10 am »

On another forum where the posters are mostly amateurs with a few wedding shooters, some A9 users amongst them, there was quite a bit of dismay when the A9II was announced.

I'm not in the market for that camera (I still have my A7 mk1) so I was just following it all with interest. I understood the disappointment as some clearly wanted to buy a new shiny cutting edge camera but after reading a few blogs and comments from the usual on line suspects I've come to believe that for the small market segment this camera is aimed at the little improvements probably do add up to a significant upgrade and by that I mean significant enough for the target audience to see enough benefit to buy one. Not every update has to appeal to the whole early adopter market.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:03 am »

On another forum where the posters are mostly amateurs with a few wedding shooters, some A9 users amongst them, there was quite a bit of dismay when the A9II was announced.

I'm not in the market for that camera (I still have my A7 mk1) so I was just following it all with interest. I understood the disappointment as some clearly wanted to buy a new shiny cutting edge camera but after reading a few blogs and comments from the usual on line suspects I've come to believe that for the small market segment this camera is aimed at the little improvements probably do add up to a significant upgrade and by that I mean significant enough for the target audience to see enough benefit to buy one. Not every update has to appeal to the whole early adopter market.

Of course.  There are also new people who are getting into photography for the first time who want the latest.  Sony continues to move forward to get Nikon and Canon business.  I was always a Nikon fan.  Bought my first Nikon F Photomic T in 1965 while I was in Japan.  I've had two other 35mm's from them and have always bought and been loyal to Nikon.  However, when got my latest  P&S, it was a Sony, the RX100iv.  I thought it was the best camera for my needs.  Young people today don;t have the loyalty as older people did to Canon Nikon and others.  So Sony is in a good position to get new loyalty.  Like I said, even I'm changing.

scooby70

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 10:57:48 am »

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic, my first SLR was a Nikon and I used it for over 20 years. Happy days.

Anyway, this may be interesting even for people like me who wont be buying, 18 reasons to buy the A9II...

https://pmrphoto.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR0MtNwjLDx1__jqKymu24sSilSjpbi1nbRlnkEUo6X5J9fLp-ARZ4sF8hc

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 02:07:35 pm »

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic, my first SLR was a Nikon and I used it for over 20 years. Happy days.

Anyway, this may be interesting even for people like me who wont be buying, 18 reasons to buy the A9II...

https://pmrphoto.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR0MtNwjLDx1__jqKymu24sSilSjpbi1nbRlnkEUo6X5J9fLp-ARZ4sF8hc

Now that’s a real fan.

gkroeger

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 04:14:30 pm »

The Voigtländer 65mm Apo-Lanthar and 21mm Nokton are outstanding (manual) lenses for landscape work.

Glenn

lightskyland

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 03:58:16 pm »

If you prefer MF for landscapes (I do) the Voigtlander 21 lenses, Voigtlander 50/2 APO, Voigtlander 65 APO Macro, Voigtlander 110 Macro, Loxias 21,25 and 85 are all superb. Lots of other really solid MF landscape lenses too. And a ton of amazing autofocus lenses if that's your preference (Sony 24/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8, Sigma Arts etc.).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up