Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136531 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #3340 on: January 27, 2020, 10:36:33 am »

Relevant to this topic is a new poll where a bunch of people all over the political spectrum were presented with a list of 30 media sources, ranging from very liberal to very conservative, and asked which ones they trusted. The conservative-leaning responders trusted only 7, and 4 of them were Fox, Breitbart, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh. Amazing! Four or the most inaccurate news sources on earth, as proven over and over, and so many people actually trust them?!?! I knew this, of course, but to see it laid out in black and white.....?

How do you know if the poll wasn;t biased? Why don;t you provide the link so we can check?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3341 on: January 27, 2020, 10:37:44 am »

"We" did not elect him. "We" (the American people) rejected him by a large majority.
We're going in circles.  We already nauseously discussed the electoral system ad infinitum.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3342 on: January 27, 2020, 10:40:57 am »

"We" did not elect him. "We" (the American people) rejected him by a large majority.

Broken record.

Move to a country where "American people" vote, instead of people in the fifty American states.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3343 on: January 27, 2020, 10:49:55 am »

Not directly Trump-related, but I am sure he would approve. The GOP government of North Dakota passed a law that in order to register to vote you must have a valid street address, such as 123 Main St, Anytown, ND. The GOP knew perfectly well that the Native American reservations, where thousands of citizens live, simply are not set up with street addresses. So thousands of people do not have street addresses and cannot get them--and these most original of US citizens, who lean Democratic, are not allowed to vote.

The GOP continues its long slide into vileness.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3344 on: January 27, 2020, 11:00:25 am »

Relevant to this topic is a new poll where a bunch of people all over the political spectrum were presented with a list of 30 media sources, ranging from very liberal to very conservative, and asked which ones they trusted. The conservative-leaning responders trusted only 7, and 4 of them were Fox, Breitbart, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh. Amazing! Four or the most inaccurate news sources on earth, as proven over and over, and so many people actually trust them?!?! I knew this, of course, but to see it laid out in black and white.....?

Last I checked, Hannity is not a media source.  He is a biased commentator, which he admits to.  Second, why the hell would you put Limbaugh on that list?  He too is not a news source, which I would consider an entire network or company. 

Seems like this could be a stacked sample to make a point.  Please provide the entire study. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #3345 on: January 27, 2020, 11:05:24 am »

Validation, please.  This document says that you're exaggerating by a factor of two.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

You want fries with those jobs?

Do you have to buy your own delivery bike? Are you self-employed if you drive for Uber?

We used to have a thing in the UK called National Service, where for two years you could be conscripted into the military of some sort. Didn't produce much other than low youth unemployment figures. It did get in the way of many careers, though, mine included, as you had to find something that attracted deferment, and so with luck, the idea might run out before you had to waste those two years. It ran out just in time to allow me to get into photography without first wearing khaki or blue; one more year and I'd have been painting coal piles white and then black again. With a toothbrush.

All that said, both Bailey and Donovan got into photography via that N.S. scheme.

Politicians. I wonder if they are born that way or develop it to survive?

;-(

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3346 on: January 27, 2020, 11:09:20 am »

Not directly Trump-related, but I am sure he would approve. The GOP government of North Dakota passed a law that in order to register to vote you must have a valid street address, such as 123 Main St, Anytown, ND. The GOP knew perfectly well that the Native American reservations, where thousands of citizens live, simply are not set up with street addresses. So thousands of people do not have street addresses and cannot get them--and these most original of US citizens, who lean Democratic, are not allowed to vote.

Where are you getting this horse-hockey, Peter? Oh yeah. I see that some of it comes from NPR, that famously unbiased, taxpayer-supported outfit. Here are the facts:

https://vip.sos.nd.gov/idrequirements.aspx

https://www.courthousenews.com/eighth-circuit-upholds-north-dakota-voter-id-law/

and

https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fact-checks/statements/2018/oct/23/occupy-democrats/native-americans-werent-last-get-right-vote-occupy/

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:15:05 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

faberryman

« Reply #3347 on: January 27, 2020, 11:20:12 am »

Where are you getting this horse-hockey, Peter? Oh yeah. I see that some of it comes from NPR, that famously unbiased, taxpayer-supported outfit. Here are the facts:

https://vip.sos.nd.gov/idrequirements.aspx

https://www.courthousenews.com/eighth-circuit-upholds-north-dakota-voter-id-law/

and

https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fact-checks/statements/2018/oct/23/occupy-democrats/native-americans-werent-last-get-right-vote-occupy/
The sources you linked to confirm Peter's position, that in ND if you don't have a residential street address, you can't vote.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3348 on: January 27, 2020, 11:24:37 am »

Right, Fab, so this acceptable form of identification rules out native Americans?

"Tribal government issued identification (including those issued by BIA for a tribe located in North Dakota, any other tribal agency or entity, or any other document that sets forth the tribal member’s name, date of birth, and current North Dakota residential address)"
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

faberryman

« Reply #3349 on: January 27, 2020, 11:27:00 am »

Right, Fab, so this acceptable form of identification rules out native Americans?

"Tribal government issued identification (including those issued by BIA for a tribe located in North Dakota, any other tribal agency or entity, or any other document that sets forth the tribal member’s name, date of birth, and current North Dakota residential address)"
What part of "current North Dakota residential address" don't you understand. If you don't have a street address, you can't vote.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3350 on: January 27, 2020, 11:44:10 am »

Here's an AP article covering:  Native Americans not stripped of voting rights in North Dakota

Arrangements were made for Indians who live on reservations and don;t have formal addresses to be able to vote.  Most people live at an address.  Besides helping to verify the person actually exists, it provides the election district where they vote.  How else would you know which congressional district you can vote in for your Congressperson?  Someone in the same ZIP coud live across the street and be in another district.  An address defines exactly where you live. 

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:6949540043

PeterAit

« Reply #3351 on: January 27, 2020, 12:09:31 pm »

How do you know if the poll wasn;t biased? Why don;t you provide the link so we can check?

Find it yourself, I am not your librarian. Anyway, if you don't like the result you'll just squawk "fake news" and ignore it.

PeterAit

« Reply #3352 on: January 27, 2020, 12:10:48 pm »

We're going in circles.  We already nauseously discussed the electoral system ad infinitum.

Yet what I say is still true.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3353 on: January 27, 2020, 12:13:44 pm »

Yet what I say is still true.

And totally irrelevant.

Like me saying yesterday was a Sunday. True, right?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3354 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:33 pm »

Find it yourself, I am not your librarian. Anyway, if you don't like the result you'll just squawk "fake news" and ignore it.

You referenced it.  Either you can verify it or it is not true. 

It would be nice to see the full list of “news media.”

PeterAit

« Reply #3355 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:58 pm »

Last I checked, Hannity is not a media source.  He is a biased commentator, which he admits to.  Second, why the hell would you put Limbaugh on that list?  He too is not a news source, which I would consider an entire network or company. 

Seems like this could be a stacked sample to make a point.  Please provide the entire study.

I did not make the list of news sources, the survey people did. And don't ask me to provide the link. I am not your librarian. You can look it up yourself. But of course, if you manage to find it, you will immediately label it as "fake news."

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3356 on: January 27, 2020, 12:22:49 pm »

I did not make the list of news sources, the survey people did. And don't ask me to provide the link. I am not your librarian. You can look it up yourself. But of course, if you manage to find it, you will immediately label it as "fake news."

Peter, from now on, anything you post regarding some 3rd party source without you verifying it I am going to consider it made up BS on your part. 

Just like any professor grading an essay. 

FYI, the polite thing to do would be to at least mention where you read it, which I would find impossible to believe you forgot altogether.  But you’re not the most polite person on this forum. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:42:22 pm by JoeKitchen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3357 on: January 27, 2020, 12:56:53 pm »

Peter, from now on, anything you post regarding some 3rd party source without you verifying it I am going to consider it made up BS on your part. 

Just like any professor grading an essay. 

FYI, the polite thing to do would be to at least mention where you read it, which I would find impossible to believe you forgot altogether.  But you’re not the most polite person on this forum.

A simple search on Google, it was the 3rd link in the list of results (the other two linked to older topics), turned up this article:
Opinion
Why Democrats Still Have to Appeal to the Center, but Republicans Don’t

Polarization has changed the two parties — just not in the same way.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/opinion/sunday/democrats-republicans-polarization.html
American politics has been dominated by the Democratic and Republican Parties since the Civil War. That gives us the illusion of stability — that today’s political divisions cut roughly the same lines as yesteryear.

But in recent decades, the two parties have been changing, and fast. Those changes are ideological — the Democratic Party has moved left, and the Republican Party has moved right. But more fundamentally, those changes are compositional: Democrats have become more diverse, urban, young and secular, and the Republican Party has turned itself into a vehicle for whiter, older, more Christian and more rural voters.

This is the root cause of intensifying polarization: Our differences, both ideological and demographic, map onto our party divisions today in ways they didn’t in the past. But the changes have not affected the parties symmetrically.

Put simply, Democrats can’t win running the kinds of campaigns and deploying the kinds of tactics that succeed for Republicans. They can move to the left — and they are — but they can’t abandon the center or, given the geography of American politics, the center-right, and still hold power. Democrats are modestly, but importantly, restrained by diversity and democracy. Republicans are not.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3358 on: January 27, 2020, 01:04:48 pm »

A simple search on Google, it was the 3rd link in the list of results (the other two linked to older topics), turned up this article:
Opinion

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/opinion/sunday/democrats-republicans-polarization.html

Thanks Bart, and interesting quote.  I think this is a much more complicated issue for both parties then what I can write on my phone right now though.  There was another podcast I was listening (by the Hoover Institute?) to that touched on the same subject, but specifically compared Trump’s campaign to what Rubio would have possibly done.  In short, Trump abdapted whereas Rubio would have lost. 

faberryman

« Reply #3359 on: January 27, 2020, 01:05:43 pm »

Opinion

Well, the story was in the New York Times, and we know that supporters of Trump think the New York Times is fake news.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 196   Go Up