Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136572 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #1800 on: November 29, 2019, 03:07:53 am »

And some Thanksgiving humor ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1801 on: November 29, 2019, 08:02:53 am »

In the meantime...

After spending 13 hours in the economy class, even with a chef among the crew (Turkish Airlines), I thought it is a torture. Sixteen hours in a bare-bones military plane must be something else. In particular when haters are gonna hate, no matter what you did.
If Obama went to Afghanistan they'd be talking about how caring and brave and dedicated he is all day yesterday and today.  The press has been like this for decades - anti-Republican, pro-Democrat, pro-liberal.  That's why there is such a positive reaction to Trump's calling them "fake news".  He's only reflecting what many American have known for decades. Unfortunately, headlines count.  The left always has a leg up because of it and the country and world only get a distorted view of American politics.  The world see us through the distorted glass of a biased press.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1802 on: November 29, 2019, 09:55:14 am »

I will conclude this post by noting that someone does not know the meaning of the word perpetrated.

Quite true, Alan, but I'm surprised you'd admit it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1803 on: November 29, 2019, 09:55:50 am »

The first thing I'd claim is that I am young, thin, rich, and handsome.

RSL

« Reply #1804 on: November 29, 2019, 10:02:26 am »

The first thing I'd claim is that I am young, thin, rich, and handsome.

When, actually, you're none of those things. . . Old, fat, poor, and ugly?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1805 on: November 29, 2019, 11:22:21 am »

When, actually, you're none of those things. . . Old, fat, poor, and ugly?

Thank you for your kind and intelligent response.

RSL

« Reply #1806 on: November 29, 2019, 11:29:12 am »

Just asking, Peter. Didn't you see the question mark? A question mark looks like this: "?"

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1807 on: November 29, 2019, 03:46:31 pm »

Why can’t we replace all those commie and jihady ungrateful immigrants and non-patriotic “Americans” with Asians from Hong Kong?

Rob C

« Reply #1808 on: November 29, 2019, 04:17:44 pm »

They are wasting their time and efforts.

Everybody knows HK is China. End of story.

Rob

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1809 on: November 29, 2019, 10:36:24 pm »

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.  This was just the warm up and doesn't include the second table.  We just finished and I'm still recovering.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1810 on: December 01, 2019, 12:09:47 am »

A new hope for Democrats:

https://www.cnet.com/news/baby-yoda-the-mandalorian-trending-higher-on-social-media-than-democratic-candidates/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0a

Baby Yoda averages 1,671 social interactions per story, Axios reports, compared with 850 for Bernie Sanders, 839 for Joe Biden and 600 for Pete Buttigieg.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1811 on: December 02, 2019, 02:13:40 pm »

If Obama went to Afghanistan they'd be talking about how caring and brave and dedicated he is all day yesterday and today.  The press has been like this for decades - anti-Republican, pro-Democrat, pro-liberal.  That's why there is such a positive reaction to Trump's calling them "fake news".  He's only reflecting what many American have known for decades. Unfortunately, headlines count.  The left always has a leg up because of it and the country and world only get a distorted view of American politics.  The world see us through the distorted glass of a biased press.

Denigrating the press is a time-honoured tactic of demagogues, despots and dictators.

Rob C

« Reply #1812 on: December 02, 2019, 02:56:14 pm »

Denigrating the press is a time-honoured tactic of demagogues, despots and dictators.

To the dedicated true believer, everything is gospel, even when it's patently not.

One thing Trump has pulled off: he has managed to devalue and debase British political electioneering even further by providing the easy call of fake news, opening the gates to all the lying statements, claims, promises and contradictions that politicos always had to be aware of putting out in the past because they might be challenged. Now, they have the Trumpian catch-all: fake news. No reality check required, just the chanted slogan.

What truly pisses me off, as with the Brexit technique, is that generally, Brits no longer seem to analyse anything that is political. They read the party manual when they can, or buy into the shortened version heard on the news, and that's the sale made.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1813 on: December 03, 2019, 09:22:31 am »

How soon we forget, or choose to overlook. 

AP FACT CHECK: Obama doesn’t always tell the straight story

"Trump may use extraordinary rhetoric to undermine trust in the press, but Obama arguably went farther — using extraordinary actions to block the flow of information to the public.
The Obama administration used the 1917 Espionage Act with unprecedented vigor, prosecuting more people under that law for leaking sensitive information to the public than all previous administrations combined."

Trump may denigrate the press, but Obama actually persecuted them.  I ask you, which is more reminiscent of a dictatorship?  One of my biggest gripe with Obama is that fact that he constantly campaigned on having an open administration, the most open actually, but refused to pardon Snowden. 

Add to that, recently Bloomberg News stated that they would not investigate Bloomberg or any Democrat, but will continue to investigate Trump.  This, in flashing red lights, not only shows their bias but signals they have abandoned all journalistic ethics, and it is not like Bloomberg News is some minor company.  This received wide spread criticism from most press outlets, including former editors of Bloomberg News, except for our grey lady & paper of record.  Instead the New York Times criticized Trump for banning Bloomberg reporters from events (perhaps an overreach, but with such blatant bias and abandonment of ethics, perhaps justified) and implied a support of Bloomberg News.  I never thought I would loose complete confidence in the NYTs. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1814 on: December 03, 2019, 09:47:10 am »

Joe, The last Republican the NY Times endorsed for president was Eisenhower in 1956.  That was 15 elections ago.  Their paper has always been biased to Democrats and the left but never so noticeably until recently.  Their bias against Trump is just a knee-jerk reaction like putting jam on toast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidential_election_endorsements_made_by_The_New_York_Times

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1815 on: December 03, 2019, 10:02:50 am »

So now the French are undermining NATO and Trump comes to its rescue. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/us/politics/trump-nato-summit.html

I notice that EU NATO countries are contributing 60-70 billion more in their defence as required by the 2% agreement. All have increased their budget for 2019 except cheapskate Germany which has stayed the same and Canada which has gone down.   What's with Canada?   Greece has gone down but they're over the 2% already and doing what they promised.  Trump's pressure  a couple of years ago on NATO countries about their not meeting their obligations  has paid off.  Of course the media won;t say anything about the extra money they're spending nor his defense of NATO.   He won't get credit for anything. 
https://www.euronews.com/2019/03/14/nato-pledge-which-european-countries-spend-over-2-of-gdp-on-defence

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1816 on: December 03, 2019, 10:39:20 am »

Joe, The last Republican the NY Times endorsed for president was Eisenhower in 1956.  That was 15 elections ago.  Their paper has always been biased to Democrats and the left but never so noticeably until recently.  Their bias against Trump is just a knee-jerk reaction like putting jam on toast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidential_election_endorsements_made_by_The_New_York_Times

It's quite astonishing to think about, especially if you consider some of the Dems since Ike.  Really, who could have supported Carter after his first term? ???

Michael Goodwin had a good piece this weekend on the demise of the NYTs, and journalism overall. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1817 on: December 03, 2019, 10:57:36 am »

So what’s the immediate reaction by <insert usual suspects here> to my “demagogues, despots and dictators” post? 

Why denigrating the press, of course!  No wonder I come here for the LOLs. :)

The Defense rests.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1818 on: December 03, 2019, 11:03:58 am »

So what’s the immediate reaction by <insert usual suspects here> to my “demagogues, despots and dictators” post? 

Why denigrating the press, of course!  No wonder I come here for the LOLs. :)

The Defense rests.

Well actually, my immediate reaction was to point out Obama prosecuted journalists, whereas Trump just talks bad about them.  I would say that this is a movement in the right direction from what Obama implemented. 

Don't worry though, I'll forgive you for missing that and/or refusing to comment on it. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:08:02 am by JoeKitchen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1819 on: December 03, 2019, 12:03:23 pm »

I notice that EU NATO countries are contributing 60-70 billion more in their defence as required by the 2% agreement. All have increased their budget for 2019 except cheapskate Germany which has stayed the same and Canada which has gone down.   What's with Canada?   Greece has gone down but they're over the 2% already and doing what they promised.

I'm not sure whether the European NATO partners will meet the deadline and gradually move closer their pledge of dedicating 2% of their GDP on defense in time, in 2020. Instead of spending more than Russia, perhaps one needs to spend it more effectively, like putting more emphasis on Cyberwarfare and Drones than on traditional equipment.

Trump's pressure a couple of years ago on NATO countries about their not meeting their obligations has paid off.

No matter how often you repeat it, it remains bullshit and it's incorrect. The goal has been to gradually grow to 2% of GDP in 2020 since it was agreed upon, under President Obama. Trump had little to do with it, other than proving to be an unreliable partner (which motivated to continue increasing the spending). The level of US military spending is also a subsidy to the US defense industry, instead of spending it on road maintenance or alternative energy, or affordable health care. It's a choice, not gospel.

https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2019_06/20190625_PR2019-069-EN.pdf
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 196   Go Up