Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 137286 times)

James Clark

Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #1780 on: November 27, 2019, 04:25:54 pm »

I went back and checked what he said.  See below.  It's not racist but exactly as I described it to mean.  The mistake he made though was that only one of the four were foreigners originally.  But the meaning was as I described.  Now you may not agree with his accusation.  You may feel that they are loyal and I can see where people are upset calling congresswomen those names.  I don;t like it either to attack congresswomen as they were elected by their consituency.  Just as Trump was elected by his voters.  But the comment was not racist but rather nationalistic.  There's a difference.  Trouble is the Democrats and left turn every comment into a racist trope.  They play the race card so often, they can't see that there can be other things driving people's opinions.  We can't have a conversation about anything without it turning into an argument about race. 

"“So interesting to see ‘Progressive’ Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter, “now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run.”

Mr. Trump added: “Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done.”"

You're not addressing the obvious - why did he assume/believe that the three American women were foreigners?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1781 on: November 27, 2019, 04:32:59 pm »

And why do you suppose that group is considered "disproportionately criminal?"  And if, in fact, they are, what makes them that way?
Maybe we should just leave race discussions for another topic.  It's only going to create a lot of hard feelings and argument and isn't directly related to impeachment. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1782 on: November 27, 2019, 04:33:28 pm »

No, that was pretty much a racist comment..

Please, James!

I’ve been recently told that I am a Johnny-come-lately ( referring to my recent citizenship) by a guy who flaunted his family’s 100-year status, I was told to go the f&$k back where I came from. He is a black alum from my business school. I didn’t reciprocate the insults and we turned out to be friends shortly after that. Not everything is racism, even if it looks like one.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1783 on: November 27, 2019, 04:41:32 pm »

You're not addressing the obvious - why did he assume/believe that the three American women were foreigners?
Except for AOC who also grew up in my Bronx, I also thought at least two maybe three of the four were immigrants.  But that's all beside the point.  Read the words he said.  They speak of foreigners who come here telling America what to do from countries that are so screwed up that's why they came here in the first place.  They're here a few years and can tell us everything that's wrong with us.    Now I don;t think he should have used those words.  But again, they're nationalistic words not racist.  Muslim is not a race.  Puerto Rican is not a race. 

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1784 on: November 27, 2019, 04:47:19 pm »

James Clark

« Reply #1785 on: November 27, 2019, 05:24:43 pm »

Please, James!

I’ve been recently told that I am a Johnny-come-lately ( referring to my recent citizenship) by a guy who flaunted his family’s 100-year status, I was told to go the f&$k back where I came from. He is a black alum from my business school. I didn’t reciprocate the insults and we turned out to be friends shortly after that. Not everything is racism, even if it looks like one.

Well, I'm an SAR, so y'all can BOTH go back ;)

And yes, I agree - everything isn't racism, and FWIW I also agree that when some people DO claim everything is, they do a great disservice to what actually is racism.   But that doesn't mean that *nothing* is racism either, and I think it's critical that when you see a distinctive *correlation* (that's for Joe ;) ) you need to go back and see if there's some causation that's related to the overwhelmingly obvious distinction, and why that might be the case. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:25:49 pm by James Clark »

James Clark

« Reply #1786 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:53 pm »

Maybe we should just leave race discussions for another topic.  It's only going to create a lot of hard feelings and argument and isn't directly related to impeachment.

Fair enough... And speaking of, here's something that relates to a point I made earlier about how in thrall Trump is to (metaphorically speaking) bomb-throwing commentators and firebrands, and then this pops up today.   This guy is a mucky-muck at State dealing with arms control.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1787 on: November 27, 2019, 06:17:37 pm »

Well, I'm an SAR, you y'all can BOTH go back ;)

And yes, I agree - everything isn't racism, and FWIW I also agree that when some people DO claim everything is, they do a great disservice to what actually is racism.   But that doesn't mean that *nothing* is racism either, and I think it's critical that when you see a distinctive *correlation* (that's for Joe ;) ) you need to go back and see if there's some causation that's related to the overwhelmingly obvious distinction, and why that might be the case. 

True story.  My grandmother on my mother's side came from Eastern Europe in the early 1900's from some small town that no longer exists either in Poland or Russia depending on what century you;re talking about.  The territory kept moving back and forth depending whose armies were more powerful.  She never really learned English and didn't get naturalized like her husband did.  Yearly, she had to file papers with the government as an alien. 

After her husband died, my father Ben who worked in the post office would help her file.  Every year she would call him up right before it was due worried sick that my father would not file the papers in time.  "Benny," she would scream at him in a panic. "You got to file the papers before they send me back."  Of course she never had anything to worry about.  At least I don;t think so.  Plus they wouldn't know where to send her.  Her home town was long gone.  She fortunately died before my father so he was able to file until her death.  She was often a pain in the neck.  If my dad had died first, I think the rest of the family would have skipped filing the papers and let the government return her.  :)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:36:19 pm by Alan Klein »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1788 on: November 27, 2019, 06:33:43 pm »

Well, I'm an SAR, you y'all can BOTH go back ;)

I agree.  It's like the boy who cried wolf.  After a while everyone ignores it who's not affected directly even when it's real.  And when the race card is played with a wide brush, it alienates the very people who also want racism to stop but they're accused also of racism when they're not.  It drives them away from helping.  It's a terrible charge and demeaning to be labeled as such when it's not true.  People become afraid about talking about real issues and ways to help because whatever they say might be called racist and often is.  So they close their eyes totally, shrug their shoulders and walk away from the whole deal.  Sometimes they react in kind and strike back but wouldn't if the politicians would stop riling up everyone.  The race card is terribly destructive and hurts everyone except the politicians who use it to gain power.  There the ones who make me sick.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1789 on: November 28, 2019, 04:33:09 am »

https://babylonbee.com/news/reanimated-che-guevara-announces-2020-run-quickly-criticized-as-too-moderate

Che Guevara Announces 2020 Run, Democrats Quickly Criticize As 'Too Moderate'

Democrats pointed out that while Guevara was a mass murderer, he really needs to specifically come out as allowing murder up to and including the moment of birth if he's going to be accepted as a mainstream Democratic candidate. They also demonstrated that his brand of totalitarianist terror was a fine starting point, but he needs to show his willingness to silence anyone who even seems to slightly disagree with the left if he's going to get any traction.

"I just looked up the Wikipedia article on Che," Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted while she was supposed to be working. "I don't see anything about him addressing climate change and wanting to destroy an entire economy based on wild-eyed apocalyptic predictions. I might have to throw away my Guevara T-shirts, to be honest."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1790 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:06 am »

You can put me down as an "enabler," Bart. Here are some of the things my vote has enabled: https://www.whitehouse.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments. As James Carville said in 1992: "It's the economy, stupid."
Breaking Radio Silence to address the Big Lie that continues to be perpetrated.  Here is the GDP quarterly growth data from just wen Obama took office to the most recent quarter.  You can see that thee continued to be a dip as the country came out of the Great Recession and then the line continues upward at a steady pace.  there has been NO great leap forward since President Trump took office and the 'humongous' tax cut that was enacted a couple of years ago has not resulted an major growth despite what the President's advisors might want you to think.  Real data is often inconvenient and often disregarded by this Administration.  the Administration has also trumpeted a lot of deregulation but much of that was already underway before the President took office (certainly the FDA stuff that they trumpet was being worked on during the last two years of the Obama Administration; rule-making takes a while to do).

EDIT:  I've attached a better GDP graph showing the dates in question.  While I am not taking part in any future discussions regarding the Impeachment of the President, I do plan on posting links and graphs that will correct misstatements by those who do post.  Truth is a valuable commodity and there is much too little of it on this thread.  As the chart notes, growth in GDP takes place regardless of who is president.  things would have been markedly improved had an appropriate stimulus been put in place following the Great Recession.

I will conclude this post by noting that someone does not know the meaning of the word perpetrated. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:06:17 am by Alan Goldhammer »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1791 on: November 28, 2019, 09:56:03 am »

You’re right, Alan. The improvements in the economy are all due to Obama: because his term finally ended and Hillary lost.

Why do you think black support for Trump has risen well above support for any previous Republican, making the Democrat thrust toward the presidency even more feeble than it otherwise would have been? (Though considering the present Democrat lineup it was awfully feeble to begin with.) Black unemployment is lower than it’s been since record-keeping began. Wages are rising because there are more jobs available than job-seekers. Yes, the economy was bound to improve after the recession. That’s how things always have worked. In fact, that's how we know a recession has ended. But Obama couldn’t really hack consistent economic growth of 2%. Trump has kicked it up to over 4%, though I thoroughly disagree with his tariffs and think it could well be 5% without them.

But I’m not surprised to see you jump on the “Obama really was the one who did it” bandwagon, Alan. In fact I’m surprised you didn’t jump sooner. Happily, those with a brain understand that this is bullshit. They’re the ones who will speak during next year’s election. Here again are my predictions: (1) Trump (or at least a Republican if Trump chooses not to run) will get a second term. (2) Republicans will take back the House. (3) Republicans will hang on to the Senate.

In the meantime your “big lie” about Obama continues to be perpetrated, though I’m not sure you can “perpetrate” a lie on a continuing basis. Maybe you mean “perpetuate?” That’s the right word for the big lie that the recovery was due to Obama.

Oh, and why did you post this? Don’t you remember? You swore with an arm wave that you’d never speak to me again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:06:31 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1792 on: November 28, 2019, 10:31:36 am »

Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone -  Americans and our overseas friends as well.  Today we celebrate and give thanks for all we have despite the arguments and problems we all face in life.  There's a lot we all can be thankful for.

James Clark

« Reply #1793 on: November 28, 2019, 12:08:57 pm »

Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone -  Americans and our overseas friends as well.  Today we celebrate and give thanks for all we have despite the arguments and problems we all face in life.  There's a lot we all can be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Alan!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1794 on: November 28, 2019, 01:33:52 pm »

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am grateful to have the ability and opportunity to freely agree or disagree with all of you, left or right. This is such a valuable trait that those who enjoy it by birth often take it for granted.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1795 on: November 28, 2019, 01:46:45 pm »

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am grateful to have the ability and opportunity to freely agree or disagree with all of you, left or right. This is such a valuable trait that those who enjoy it by birth often take it for granted.

+1
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1796 on: November 28, 2019, 01:50:06 pm »

+2
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

James Clark

« Reply #1797 on: November 28, 2019, 02:34:50 pm »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1798 on: November 28, 2019, 09:48:57 pm »

+3

Just got done cooking and entertaining.  Time for the real fun!   ;D
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1799 on: November 29, 2019, 03:01:14 am »

In the meantime...

After spending 13 hours in the economy class, even with a chef among the crew (Turkish Airlines), I thought it is a torture. Sixteen hours in a bare-bones military plane must be something else. In particular when haters are gonna hate, no matter what you did.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 196   Go Up