Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: American Friends and Allies  (Read 7150 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: American Friends and Allies
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2019, 03:47:23 am »

Thanks for your comments.  I'll pass on the one regarding my wife.  She'll really appreciate it. 

Regarding wearing a tie and suit jacket for official events, what's the expression?  Clothes make the man.   Anyway, Trump isn;t Jesus.  He needs all the help he can get.  Maybe I'm old fashioned.  If a person dresses sloppily, I get the feeling they're not serious and won't take care of my issues.  Their efforts will be half baked as their clothes are.  Dress up and show up.  Just how I feel about it.  Just like you said you would get a haircut and wear a tie in court, a president or presidential nominee should dress up the part and show he cares and is serious, not that he just rolled out of bed.  People judge him just like the judge will judge you.  But I respect your opinion.  Many people don't care about these things any longer.

US biggest company is founded and made great by a guy in T shirt.
And another one is shooting cars in space.

The both have (had) the real leadership skill: Vision.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:01:58 am by Ivo_B »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2019, 04:19:50 am »

US biggest company is founded and made great by a guy in T shirt.
And another one is shooting cars in space.

The both have (had) the real leadership skill: Vision.

And even Theranos Inc., once valued at $9 billion, was headed by a girl in a black turtleneck. She had a grand vision, too, but didn't understand the basics.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2019, 04:25:20 am »

And even Theranos Inc., once valued at $9 billion, was headed by a girl in a black turtleneck. She had a grand vision, too, but didn't understand the basics.

Basic and not so basic skills can be hired. Peoples who do things right can be found on the market.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2019, 04:35:36 am »

What peoplw wear in private is their business; what they wear in an official capacity is an entirely different matter and they bear not only themselves but the dignity of office on their shoulders.

If my lawyer (were I ever unfortunate enough to hire one again) turned up in court in jeans I would just plead guilty or fold my case. I doubt he'd even be permitted to take his part in the process.

Apart from anything else, wearing appropriate clothing is a mark of mutual respect for the people who are gong to be interacting in some official capacity.

Of course, I know everybody understands this, but as ever, there has to be an opposing side or there'd be no argument.

:-(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:35:11 am by Rob C »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2019, 04:54:27 am »

What peoplw wear in private is their business; what they wear in an official capacity is an entirely different matter and they bear not only themselves but the dignity of office on their shoulders.

If my lawyer (were I ever unfortunate enough to hire one again) turned up in court in jeans I would just plead guilty or fold my case. I doubt he'd even be permitted to take his part in the process.

Apart from anything else, wearing aporopriate clothing is a mark of mutual respect for the people who are gong to be interacting in some official capacity.

Of course, I know everybody understands this, but as ever, there has to be an opposing side or there'd be no argument.

Bad example.
As far as I know, every protagonist in court wear a dedicated dress to prevent biased judgement based on the looks. Highest court judges even wear a wig for same reason.

Lawyers with sleek appearance, silk suits and light brown monks are very good in determining the dizzying height of their hourly rates. Especially the ones specialized in tax affairs.  >:(

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2019, 04:59:27 am »

Apart from anything else, wearing aporopriate clothing is a mark of mutual respect for the people who are gong to be interacting in some official capacity.

I agree.
But,
Time is changing and business is more and more an on line thing. The idea of ‘going to the office’ is sooner  than we can imagine an anachronism and a smart appearance will not longer be a cover up for incompetence.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2019, 05:07:01 am »

It’s a generation thing, Rob. Not everybody  understands this anymore.

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2019, 07:14:39 am »

It’s a generation thing, Rob. Not everybody  understands this anymore.

Then you can only blame the parents.

No, wait - today you have to blame the teachers: the parents are too busy doing something else much more important like watching soaps and tweeting.

:-)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2019, 08:30:56 am »

Two things come to mind:

(1) Dorothea Lange's photograph "White Angel Breadline," deep in the depression where almost every man in the picture, destitute as he may be, is wearing a hat.

(2) A picture on the cover of Black and White magazine several years ago of two hoboes getting out of a boxcar during the depression wearing ragged suits and hats.

There used to be a common understanding that you dressed to avoid giving offense. That was then. This is now -- beginning in what one writer called "that slum of a decade," the sixties.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2019, 09:34:00 am »

US biggest company is founded and made great by a guy in T shirt...

But showing up in a t-shirt is not going to make you a Steve Jobs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:37:24 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:14 am »

When I was teaching, some (college) students would show up in pajamas, with period marks still there. Great respect.

faberryman

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2019, 09:43:18 am »

There used to be a common understanding that you dressed to avoid giving offense. That was then. This is now -- beginning in what one writer called "that slum of a decade," the sixties.
Yeah, it has been all downhill since the Eisenhower administration. Mad Men forever.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:47:13 am by faberryman »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2019, 09:50:10 am »

Since the thread is about Americans and allies, until Ivo t-boned it, and now we are discussing ties and pajamas, there was a cartoon some years ago, depicting what “casual” means to various nations. I wish I could find it. From memory, casual for the Brits means going from a tuxedo and bow tie to a regular suit and tie. The scale ends with Americans, where casual means ragged jeans and crumpled t-shirts.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2019, 09:54:13 am »

Yeah, it has been all downhill since the Eisenhower administration.

Since your age is N/A, Fab, you're obviously too young to realize Eisenhower was elected in 1952 and started his term in January, 1953. I remember vividly since I was in Korea going through the local training program and getting ready to fly my first combat mission. As it happened, Eisenhower let the North Koreans and Chinese know that if the war continued he'd use the nukes we'd trained to deliver.

The downhill slide began in the sixties, not the fifties, and it's been going on ever since.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2019, 10:27:04 am »

When I was teaching, some (college) students would show up in pajamas, with period marks still there. Great respect.

And that was the boys, I hear some remark.

Can you be certain of that, Slobodan? Some might just have sat on a - well, cherry stone. Bitter fruit the morning after.

At least we are a unique forum here, with the mental capability to leap from one thing to quite another at the snap of an elastic; I bet the competion - not the there is any - will never attain our sophistication.

;-)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:33:32 am by Rob C »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2019, 10:28:51 am »

Well, if you're worth a few billion, then you can dress however you like. :)
But, I was referring mainly to dress codes for politicians.  Now of the men, who do you think should not and will not become president?  Don't even know his name.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/TJ1tMQWWxlZJHldZ99luxc9GeVg=/1484x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/UXE4RIU5I4I6TA7DIX663DUNFY.jpg

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2019, 10:31:04 am »

+1

Rob C

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 10:39:15 am »

I wonder why the p and o are so close to one another on the keypoard: "aporopriate" - I must train those damn fingers better. And in the heat, I can't even blame my close friend Raynaud! Maybe the cataracts give me an out!

;-(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2019, 10:49:37 am »

..Don't even know his name...

Shame on you. He is the guy who said he will pass what he saves on ties to the American people: $1000 per month to each soul.

Rob C

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2019, 10:57:39 am »

Shame on you. He is the guy who said he will pass what he saves on ties to the American people: $1000 per month to each soul.

How bad can it be? How many Sioux remain?

;-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up