Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: American Friends and Allies  (Read 7264 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: American Friends and Allies
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 10:01:04 am »

We have a 100% convergence of views on this one: congratulations to both of us!

;-)

Rob
+1 finally.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 10:10:05 am »

Right on, Ivo! It's amazing how many people don't understand the difference. I could give some pretty hairy examples of the difference from my 27 years in the military, but I won't.

Well, a leader do the right things, a boss (as in manager) is doing the things right.

There’s a very important difference.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 10:21:34 am »

... He has enough of them in his own backyard...

And we’d like to keep them there, in both your backyards, not in our. 

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 10:22:48 am »

Well, a leader do the right things, a boss (as in manager) is doing the things right.

There’s a very important difference.

Well, I wouldn’t say that a leader always does the right thing, Ivo, but he always does what he thinks is the right thing.

The real difference between a leader and a boss is that a boss requires you to do what he wants done; a leader makes you eager to do what he wants done.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 10:36:21 am »

Well, I wouldn’t say that a leader always does the right thing, Ivo, but he always does what he thinks is the right thing.

The real difference between a leader and a boss is that a boss requires you to do what he wants done; a leader makes you eager to do what he wants done.
That's a great definition too.  You're willing to follow a leader.  You admire him.  You're also right about not necessarily doing the right thing.  Hitler was a powerful leader who Germans admired, but also a mass murderer.  Many cult figures are natural leaders who take their minions off the deep end.  Jim Jones is example of that.  Good examples would be Ghandi, Washington who was a hero leader and could have been king of America, but refused leaving the office of president after two 4-year terms.  Is humility one of the characteristics of good leadership?    Maybe that's what Ivo was referring too. 

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:26 am »

Your definition of ‘Boss’ is obsolete. Output management is the key

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 10:42:21 am »

Situational leadership is the word.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:49:17 am by Ivo_B »

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 10:43:02 am »

Saudis provide them by demand.

And they buy them from...

;-)

RSL

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 10:43:13 am »

New name for the same old thing, Ivo.

And I didn't complete the definition of a leader: he makes you eager to do what he wants done and convinces you that it's what needs to be done.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 10:52:16 am »

That's a great definition too.  You're willing to follow a leader.  You admire him.  You're also right about not necessarily doing the right thing.  Hitler was a powerful leader who Germans admired, but also a mass murderer.  Many cult figures are natural leaders who take their minions off the deep end.  Jim Jones is example of that.  Good examples would be Ghandi, Washington who was a hero leader and could have been king of America, but refused leaving the office of president after two 4-year terms.  Is humility one of the characteristics of good leadership?    Maybe that's what Ivo was referring too.

Yes Alan,

True leaders conduct a high ethical code.
To many machiavélique leadership around the world, and your potus is a fine example, isn’t he?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 11:01:50 am »

Or as some of the website owners assume a title of CEO.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 11:14:30 am »

Yes Alan,

True leaders conduct a high ethical code.
To many machiavélique leadership around the world, and your potus is a fine example, isn’t he?
Unfortunately, we had to choose between two flawed candidates. But none of us are perfect. As I look back on past presidents, many who were considered great leaders but who also had many flaws.  Trump's peccadilloes aren't too particularly bad.  Pretty much a typical real estate guy from NYC who got into politics late in life.

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2019, 01:04:35 pm »

Unfortunately, we had to choose between two flawed candidates. But none of us are perfect. As I look back on past presidents, many who were considered great leaders but who also had many flaws.  Trump's peccadilloes aren't too particularly bad.  Pretty much a typical real estate guy from NYC who got into politics late in life.

That it didn't prevent people voting for him is the remarkable thing there; whatever happened to the concept of those ten thousand hours, or are they totally interchangeable today, you know, every hour has sixty minutes, so... ? Anyway, In a world where fewer and fewer have permanent jobs, perhaps it's to be expected.

To his credit, he isn't doing anything anyone didn't expect. Well, perhaps tweetsville got a pleasant surprise.

RSL

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2019, 02:39:20 pm »

That it didn't prevent people voting for him is the remarkable thing there;

Not remarkable at all when you consider who his opponent was.

Anyway, In a world where fewer and fewer have permanent jobs, perhaps it's to be expected.

I know that's a problem in Europe, but in the US, more and more people have permanent jobs now that the economy's back on track under Trump. It may all fall apart again, but for now things are looking up.

James Clark

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 04:46:26 pm »

I know that's a problem in Europe, but in the US, more and more people have permanent jobs now that the economy's back on track under Trump. It may all fall apart again, but for now things are looking up.

::).  You just make this stuff up, don’t you?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 05:07:23 pm »

Barack Hussein Obama indeed deserves a Nobel prize in ... physics... for inventing a perpetuum mobile trend.

James Clark

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 05:14:15 pm »

Barack Hussein Obama indeed deserves a Nobel prize in ... physics... for inventing a perpetuum mobile trend.

Did I say that?  Perhaps if Russ were as precise with his English as you are, and had said “...remains on track under Trump...” it wouldn’t be so easy to point out the folly of his words.  And with pictures even - that’s so Trump-briefing-ish of me!

degrub

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2019, 07:35:02 pm »

We had a saying the in the old chemical plant - never be the maintenance manager after one that implemented a cost savings program.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 08:40:25 pm »

Alan,
I wouldn't respond if I didn't have some respect for you even though I don't always agree with your politics.  If your wife stuck with the public school system as long as she did she is a saint. Even though some may consider me as hippie Hugh, I have read Milton Friedman's Free to Choose which is quite conservative.  If you truly are a leader why the pretentious tie.  So do Christians not respect Jesus because of how he dressed?  The world is different and, more people can see through the delusion. But, yes if I were summoned to court, I would cut my hair and wear a tie.  I hope your wife is keeping you in line.  She's the real hero. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2019, 09:24:50 pm »

Alan,
I wouldn't respond if I didn't have some respect for you even though I don't always agree with your politics.  If your wife stuck with the public school system as long as she did she is a saint. Even though some may consider me as hippie Hugh, I have read Milton Friedman's Free to Choose which is quite conservative.  If you truly are a leader why the pretentious tie.  So do Christians not respect Jesus because of how he dressed?  The world is different and, more people can see through the delusion. But, yes if I were summoned to court, I would cut my hair and wear a tie.  I hope your wife is keeping you in line.  She's the real hero. 

Thanks for your comments.  I'll pass on the one regarding my wife.  She'll really appreciate it. 

Regarding wearing a tie and suit jacket for official events, what's the expression?  Clothes make the man.   Anyway, Trump isn;t Jesus.  He needs all the help he can get.  Maybe I'm old fashioned.  If a person dresses sloppily, I get the feeling they're not serious and won't take care of my issues.  Their efforts will be half baked as their clothes are.  Dress up and show up.  Just how I feel about it.  Just like you said you would get a haircut and wear a tie in court, a president or presidential nominee should dress up the part and show he cares and is serious, not that he just rolled out of bed.  People judge him just like the judge will judge you.  But I respect your opinion.  Many people don't care about these things any longer. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up