Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambassadorial Leaks  (Read 12472 times)

faberryman

Re: Ambassadorial Leaks
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2019, 12:46:28 pm »

So, the UK's ambassador:.  Did he reveal anything false?  Or anything we didn't already know?  Or did he just make that stuff up?
Not sure what all the controversy is about. It's not like many others haven't said the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:51:16 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2019, 01:41:56 pm »

Of course not.  Other than the fact that, in order to make a film about nearly anything, you have to learn about it first.

Based on that information, I agree.  You know more about how embassies collect and process data than most.  Even me. :)

So, the UK's ambassador:.  Did he reveal anything false?  Or anything we didn't already know?  Or did he just make that stuff up?
Two issues.  Who revealed the secret communications and why? Second issue is that it makes it impossible for the ambassador to represent his country having made personal insults about the president. Even here on this forum,  there are rules about that including getting banned. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:19 pm »

Hi Bart, I was in a rush yesterday when I wrote this. I should have expended it: Until we have an agreement that will let the IAEA inspect anywhere. at any time without prior notice, we'll never know what Iran actually is doing. At the moment it's not a question of the locations the IAEA needs to visit, it's a question of what the agreement has allowed them to visit. The whole arrangement is absurd.

Hi Russ,

You cannot enrich uranium in your backyard. You need facilities to do it in any meaningful way. Those are the locations that the IAEA needs to visit, and they do. In addition, the whole country is being surveilled by all sorts of cameras and other sensors. Do you really think it's possible to escape being noticed? Sure, one needs to stay vigilant, but how is breaking up a working deal going to help with that?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2019, 03:02:46 pm »

Who revealed the secret communications and why?

Exactly. That's what one needs to focus on. The rest is not news.

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »

Hi Russ,

You cannot enrich uranium in your backyard. You need facilities to do it in any meaningful way. Those are the locations that the IAEA needs to visit, and they do. In addition, the whole country is being surveilled by all sorts of cameras and other sensors. Do you really think it's possible to escape being noticed? Sure, one needs to stay vigilant, but how is breaking up a working deal going to help with that?

Cheers,
Bart

We had an agreement with North Korea for them to stop production under previous presidents.  Because of a lack of thorough inspections, they secretly continued their program.  Once burned, twice foolish.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2019, 03:09:37 pm »

Hi Russ,

Do you really think it's possible to escape being noticed?
Cheers,
Bart

I worked in a related field for many years, Bart, and yes I do think it's possible to escape being noticed in a country as large as Iran with varied topography. What's hard (or nowadays probably impossible) to hide is nuclear weapon tests, not nuclear production.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:26:30 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:35 pm »

I worked in a related field for many years, Bart, and yes I do think it's possible to escape being noticed in a country as large as Iran with varied topography. What's hard (or nowadays probably impossible) to hide is nuclear weapon tests, not nuclear production.

How about multispectral Satellite imagery following movements on the ground?
How about spies on the ground?

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2019, 05:08:14 pm »

We had an agreement with North Korea for them to stop production under previous presidents.  Because of a lack of thorough inspections, they secretly continued their program.  Once burned, twice foolish.

In no way comparable to the Iran deal.

Cheers,
Bart

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2019, 05:18:03 pm »

Who revealed the secret communications and why?

Vladimir Putin: to undermine the relationshp between the United States and the United Kingdom?
Nigel Farage: to disrupt pre-Brexit communication between U.S. and U.K. diplomats?
Chinese-government hackers: to retaliate for U.S. tariffs?
Iran: well, isn't it obvious?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 05:25:13 pm »

Vladimir Putin: to undermine the relationshp between the United States and the United Kingdom?
Nigel Farage: to disrupt pre-Brexit communication between U.S. and U.K. diplomats?
Chinese-government hackers: to retaliate for U.S. tariffs?
Iran: well, isn't it obvious?

Or North Koreans who got mad at Trump walking away from their last summit.
Or even Meghan Merkle unhappy with Trump's remarks about her.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2019, 05:36:14 pm »

Or an intern unhappy that the ambassador didn’t want to divorce ;)

RSL

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2019, 06:14:14 pm »

How about multispectral Satellite imagery following movements on the ground?
How about spies on the ground?

Cheers,
Bart

I suspect you don't really believe what you're saying, Bart. You can't penetrate rock with multispectral imagery. As far as spies on the ground are concerned, I have no doubt the Israelis have them, but they'd be crazy to let on before it's time to strike, and Israelis are a long way from crazy.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2019, 06:44:10 pm »

I suspect you don't really believe what you're saying, Bart. You can't penetrate rock with multispectral imagery.

Russ,

To even dig a tunnel in rock or underground, ground has to be moved, seismic activity may be recorded, trucks have to transport equipment,  electricity must be generated by equipment, ventilation is required,  personnel has to travel and drink and eat, etc., etc.

And all that activity will produce CO2, which can be measured, and money needs to be paid to purchase materials.

It's not easy to do something that will not be noticed, especially when watched so closely.

But now, it doesn't matter anymore, since there is no longer a deal, and Iran refuses to talk with the USA until the sanctions are lifted.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:45:55 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2019, 07:29:01 pm »

Or even Meghan Merkle unhappy with Trump's remarks about her.

I doubt she is that petty.  But word is the Queen has a wicked sense of humor.

RSL

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »

Russ,

To even dig a tunnel in rock or underground, ground has to be moved, seismic activity may be recorded, trucks have to transport equipment,  electricity must be powered by equipment, ventilation is required,  personnel has to travel and drink and eat, etc., etc.

And all that activity will produce CO2, which can be measured, and money needs to be paid to purchase materials.

It's not easy to do something that will not be noticed, especially when watched so closely.

But now, it doesn't matter anymore, since there is no longer a deal, and Iran refuses to talk with the USA until the sanctions are lifted.

Cheers,
Bart

All I can say, Bart, is: I believe they're working on a weapon right now. I believe they already have ratholed the highly enriched stuff they need, or they're working somewhere we don't know about to produce it. They're not really going to need tests. There's too much known nowadays for that to be necessary. All they have to do is produce one weapon and then threaten Israel with it.

I'm 89, and I hope I'll be out of here by the time that happens, but you're only 18 according to your profile, so you'll be around when the world reaches that frightening point. Keep watching.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2019, 08:03:29 pm »

Russ,

To even dig a tunnel in rock or underground, ground has to be moved, seismic activity may be recorded, trucks have to transport equipment,  electricity must be generated by equipment, ventilation is required,  personnel has to travel and drink and eat, etc., etc.

Cheers,
Bart
None of that matters. In 10 years Iran can produce the bomb legally. The rest is just conversation.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2019, 10:53:33 pm »

All I can say, Bart, is: I believe they're working on a weapon right now. I believe they already have ratholed the highly enriched stuff they need, or they're working somewhere we don't know about to produce it. They're not really going to need tests. There's too much known nowadays for that to be necessary. All they have to do is produce one weapon and then threaten Israel with it.

I'm 89, and I hope I'll be out of here by the time that happens, but you're only 18 according to your profile, so you'll be around when the world reaches that frightening point. Keep watching.

We've been at that frightening point for 70 years or so.
--
Robert

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2019, 05:10:30 am »

None of that matters. In 10 years Iran can produce the bomb legally. The rest is just conversation.

Not legally, but with the agreement out of the way and trade sanctions imposed, thanks to Trump, they are forced to ramp up production of enriched Uranium.

They need it to generate Nuclear power, and then why stop, enrich it further, commercialize it and also sell it to e.g. North Korea and Russia.

To get back on the thread's topic, one could wonder what the ambassador of Iran to the USA would report about Trump, if there was one (the embassy was closed in 1980). It's currently handled by a chief of 'Interests Section', General Isaac Khan, out of the Pakistan embassy. I doubt that his reporting about Trump would be materially different from other ambassadors.

Cheers,
Bart

RSL

« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2019, 07:33:19 am »

We've been at that frightening point for 70 years or so.

Not really, Robert. The nukes have been in the hands of nations with a desire to survive. Even North Korea fits that description. But a nuke in the hands of a religious madman is a different thing altogether.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2019, 09:07:23 am »

Not legally, but with the agreement out of the way and trade sanctions imposed, thanks to Trump, they are forced to ramp up production of enriched Uranium.

They need it to generate Nuclear power, and then why stop, enrich it further, commercialize it and also sell it to e.g. North Korea and Russia.

To get back on the thread's topic, one could wonder what the ambassador of Iran to the USA would report about Trump, if there was one (the embassy was closed in 1980). It's currently handled by a chief of 'Interests Section', General Isaac Khan, out of the Pakistan embassy. I doubt that his reporting about Trump would be materially different from other ambassadors.

Cheers,
Bart

I imagine ambassadors advise their leaders to play it careful with Trump.  Stay on his good side.  Try to accomodate America's needs and complaints.  He has a "shoot from the hip" side.  On the other hand, he did not attack Iran when they shot down one of our drones.  This is all advantageous to America.  If you kiss his butt and support America, he'll compliment and support you.  If you become disloyal and do things that hurt America, then he'll take a swing at you.  Pretty much how he runs his life.  Exactly how a American president should operate.  I wouldn't expect less from your leaders. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up