Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambassadorial Leaks  (Read 12512 times)

Rob C

Ambassadorial Leaks
« on: July 08, 2019, 09:57:27 am »

Listening to the various reports, I am led to asking myself a few little questions:

a.  who leaked the information;
b.  what was the real motivation;
c.  since it's nothing new, and already information obvious to the entire world, is there genuine, legitimate journalistic value to publishing the story;
d.  is this incident any different in concept to the Wiki one with pop hero Julian Assange;
e.  is the Mail running a campaign of its own to undermine the United Kingdom;
f.   the fact that at 1.11 euros-to-the-pound at this very moment, as low as I can ever remember it, is anyone left who can think at all, who can still believe that the prospects of a Britain out of Europe strikes the money men as a clever step forward?

Rob

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Ambassadorial Leaks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 10:18:14 am »

Anything that can make Trump look bad becomes a headline.    It's been going on for 3 years and will continue unabatedly.  Sorry if there's collateral damage over there.  Someone probably figured they could kill two birds with one stone.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 10:21:03 am »

Listening to the various reports, I am led to asking myself a few little questions:

a.  who leaked the information;
b.  what was the real motivation;

Hi Rob,

These were the first two questions that popped up in my mind as well.

Assuming this is not all fake, mail, and especially diplomatic mail, is supposed to be confidential. So what was the motivation to make it public.

Not that the observations voiced in those mails were new, afterall a couple of books have been released on what is happening in the West-wing of the White House, but they seem to confirm what others have observed as well, with a focus on how it affects the UK (which is a role of the Ambassador).

c.  since it's nothing new, and already information obvious to the entire world, is there genuine, legitimate journalistic value to publishing the story;

Hard to say, maybe the anticipated reaction is worthwhile (to somebody) enough to throw some oil on the fire?

d.  is this incident any different in concept to the Wiki one with pop hero Julian Assange;

Who's to say this isn't a reaction to Assange's pending extradition?

e.  is the Mail running a campaign of its own to undermine the United Kingdom;
f.   the fact that at 1.11 euros-to-the-pound at this very moment, as low as I can ever remember it, is anyone left who can think at all, who can still believe that the prospects of a Britain out of Europe strikes the money men as a clever step forward?

It boggles the mind. Mad cow's disease? Russians again, after killing some defected spies and being found out, trying to cripple Western Europe? The USA, trying to weaken potential trading partners? Many possible scenarios.

Time for some real investigative reporting into the leak (do diplomats use unencrypted e-mail?) and the money trail.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:20 am »

Rob, I understand your situation, and having now known you for ten years, am very sorry for the crap you're up against. But unlike our European "contributors," all of whom seem sure they're experts on United States politics though they continuously demonstrate the obverse of that belief, I don't claim to understand European or UK politics, so all I can say is: I'm sorry my friend. I hope it all works out satisfactorily in the end.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 10:25:43 am »

Not that big of a mystery, I'd have thought - who could possibly benefit from replacing an experienced ambassador with someone potentially more conducive to business deals?
What is the significance of these leaks being reported by Isabel Oakeshot, well-known associate of Brexit-bankroller Arron Banks?

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 10:28:23 am »

Rob, I understand your situation, and having now known you for ten years, am very sorry for the crap you're up against. But unlike our European "contributors," all of whom seem sure they're experts on United States politics though they continuously demonstrate the obverse of that belief, I don't claim to understand European or UK politics, so all I can say is: I'm sorry my friend. I hope it all works out satisfactorily in the end.

That's odd - not so long ago you were claiming that I am ignorant of the position of the UK judiciary in our system. Perhaps when you are old enough you will sort out what you believe and what you don't.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 10:28:41 am »

Anything that can make Trump look bad becomes a headline.    It's been going on for 3 years and will continue unabatedly.  Sorry if there's collateral damage over there.  Someone probably figured they could kill two birds with one stone.

I disagree. This is not going to hurt Trump, the information was already known outside his fan-bubble.
Books like "Fear", by Bob Woodward, or "Unhinged" by Omarosa Manigault-Newman, come to mind.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:39:39 am »

I disagree. This is not going to hurt Trump, the information was already known outside his fan-bubble.
Books like "Fear", by Bob Woodward, or "Unhinged" by Omarosa Manigault-Newman, come to mind.

Cheers,
Bart

It's become a sport.  Trying to make him look bad by releasing confidential information.  Plus, the cable new channels need something about him every day to talk about.  It sells advertisements.   It keeps their ratings up.  Over here, everyone will forget by tonight and then move on to another tidbit about him.   Americans have grown accustomed to these "secret" reports.  I suppose it will fester a little longer over there. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 10:41:43 am »

It's become a sport.  Trying to make him look bad by releasing confidential information.  Plus, the cable new channels need something about him every day to talk about.  It sells advertisements.   It keeps their ratings up.  Over here, everyone will forget by tonight and then move on to another tidbit about him.   Americans have grown accustomed to these "secret" reports.  I suppose it will fester a little longer over there.

Well, he does give them a lot to talk about.
--
Robert

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 10:45:00 am »

But it's not actually about Trump - it's about the leaks themselves. Everyone knows what the ambassador said - that part is old news.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 10:51:55 am »

But it's not actually about Trump - it's about the leaks themselves. Everyone knows what the ambassador said - that part is old news.
Maybe in Britain because it was your ambassador.  But I never heard about this until now. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 10:54:06 am »

Well, he does give them a lot to talk about.

Yes,  he definitely knows how to market his name.  It's what he does, in business as well.  It's his theory that it's not important what they print about him as long as they print something every day. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 12:53:59 pm »

It's his theory that it's not important what they print about him as long as they print something every day.

Yup.  Because, for him, notoriety is more important than veracity.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 01:46:06 pm »

That's odd - not so long ago you were claiming that I am ignorant of the position of the UK judiciary in our system. Perhaps when you are old enough you will sort out what you believe and what you don't.

My estimation of your ignorance goes far beyond the position of the UK judiciary, Jeremy.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremyrh

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 01:54:36 pm »

My estimation of your ignorance goes far beyond the position of the UK judiciary, Jeremy.

Well since your last attempt to demonstrate that ignorance backfired pretty spectacularly, I think I'll just about manage to struggle by, thanks Pop.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 02:01:22 pm »

Not remotely acceptable. Take a break.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 02:11:51 pm »

Yup.  Because, for him, notoriety is more important than veracity.
Of course Biden didn't lie about his voting record or Warren about her ethnic background. What's the expression? How do you know when a politician is lying? His lips are moving.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 05:38:56 pm »

The question we're asking here in the Washington area is who will Boris Johnson select (surely it must be Boris) to represent the U.K. after Sir Kim is recalled.  My vote is for Jacob Rees-Mogg.  Competent professional diplomats are so boooring.  We could use some comic relief—and, really, Rees-Mogg's views are quite ... ahhh ... novel enough to fit right in with the way things are these days around these parts.

James Clark

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 06:26:57 pm »

Not remotely acceptable. Take a break.

Jeremy

Are you serious???

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 07:19:08 pm »

On the OP subject, I think that The Economist magazine sums it up pretty well: