Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111605 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #2040 on: August 09, 2020, 09:55:43 pm »

Maybe insects are getting smarter and just avoiding cars.  Darwin at work. Those that are drawn to the headlamps die.  Those that avoid the headlamps survive and have offspring who also avoid the lamps.  They're off in the woods biting photographers.

Paradoxically, number of pedestrians hit by car in USA is increasing. Could it be also due to Darwin law? Or maybe due to the advances in the telephone technology.

The Governors Highway Safety Administration calculates that there were 6590 pedestrian fatalities in 2019 after making a preliminary analysis of the available data.
If that estimate holds when numbers are released later this year, that would mark a 60 percent increase in fatalities since 2009.
Meanwhile, all other traffic deaths only rose 2 percent between 2009 and 2018.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31136893/pedestrian-deaths-increase-2019/#:~:text=In%202019%2C%20according%20to%20GHSA,Brake%20it%20Down!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2041 on: August 09, 2020, 11:41:56 pm »

. Those that are drawn to the headlamps die.  Those that avoid the headlamps survive and have offspring who also avoid the lamps.

I seldom drive mountain highways at night.  My trips to Vancouver are nearly all mountainous and I do them in daylight.  The bugs count on my windshield is not night-dependent.

The drive from Penticton to Osoyoos is a little over an hour.  That's how long it took to clog hogloff's windshield. The drive from my place to Vancouver takes 9 hours.  Previously, I'd stop several times to clean the windshield.  Now, not once.

Like I said:  "scary".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2042 on: August 10, 2020, 01:09:24 am »

Maybe the bugs are even smarter than I thought.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2043 on: August 10, 2020, 09:28:03 am »

Maybe the bugs are even smarter than I thought.

Your comments about Darwinian selection when it comes to bears and insects amuse me. Keeping Easter Island in mind, what would be your attitude be toward the human race contributing to its own extinction by our profligate behaviour. Or do you think that whatever we do is fine. (I'll leave undefined who "we" is because the entire human race rarely rarely acts in concert.)
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2044 on: August 10, 2020, 10:13:49 am »

Your comments about Darwinian selection when it comes to bears and insects amuse me. Keeping Easter Island in mind, what would be your attitude be toward the human race contributing to its own extinction by our profligate behaviour. Or do you think that whatever we do is fine. (I'll leave undefined who "we" is because the entire human race rarely rarely acts in concert.)
We should be good stewards of the environment.   But it's ok to use nature too.  Common sense and balance.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2045 on: August 10, 2020, 10:18:41 am »

We should be good stewards of the environment.   But it's ok to use nature too.  Common sense and balance.

So you ARE a secret environmentalist then. It's ok to be out.  :)
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2046 on: August 10, 2020, 10:24:53 am »

I subscribe to New York State Conservationist and get their magazines monthly. . I enjoy breathing fresh air and drinking clean water. I also enjoy owning and driving cars.  I also try to use common sense and believe In truth. And a lot of environmental stuff we get today is just a lot of political nonsense.

faberryman

« Reply #2047 on: August 10, 2020, 12:09:53 pm »

Satellite Study Reveals Enormity of Melting Ice Shelves in Antarctica

https://www.wsj.com/articles/satellite-study-reveals-enormity-of-melting-ice-shelves-in-antarctica-11597071600

Fortunately, polar bears don't live in the Antarctic, but penguins do. Everyone loves penguins. You missed out on the ivory-billed woodpecker; don't miss out on the penguins. Book your photography workshop trip to the Antarctic now before it's too late.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:19:27 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2048 on: August 10, 2020, 12:47:50 pm »

Satellite Study Reveals Enormity of Melting Ice Shelves in Antarctica

https://www.wsj.com/articles/satellite-study-reveals-enormity-of-melting-ice-shelves-in-antarctica-11597071600

Fortunately, polar bears don't live in the Antarctic, but penguins do. Everyone loves penguins. You missed out on the ivory-billed woodpecker; don't miss out on the penguins. Book your photography workshop trip to the Antarctic now before it's too late.
I don't subscribe and can't read the article.  What does "enormity" mean from a consequence standpoint?

faberryman

« Reply #2049 on: August 10, 2020, 12:49:34 pm »

I don't subscribe and can't read the article.  What does "enormity" mean from a consequence standpoint?

I don't subscribe to the WSJ and was able to read the article. There is no benefit to discussing the article with you if you haven't read it. It would be as pointless as discussing Trump's behavior at the press conference you didn't watch.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2050 on: August 10, 2020, 01:36:58 pm »

I don't subscribe to the WSJ and was able to read the article. There is no benefit to discussing the article with you if you haven't read it. It would be as pointless as discussing Trump's behavior at the press conference you didn't watch.

The link asks me to subscribe or sign in...
Craig Lamson Photo

faberryman

« Reply #2051 on: August 10, 2020, 01:40:57 pm »

The link asks me to subscribe or sign in...

I am sorry you can’t read it. No real loss though. I just thought it was an interesting article, and a diversion from the on-going discussion of polar bears. I'll refrain from posting articles from the WSJ in the future.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:53:05 pm by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #2052 on: August 13, 2020, 07:25:22 pm »

I had never heard of woolly rhinos.

Ancient genomes suggest woolly rhinos went extinct due to climate change, not overhunting

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-ancient-genomes-woolly-rhinos-extinct.html

I don't know much about the source of the article. Perhaps it is a website run by a bunch of radical left wing scientists who have been bought off by whomever it is that is supposed to be buying off radical left wing scientists to say that woolly rhinos went extinct because of climate change. It could have been one of those mass suicide things because the woolly rhinos were so distraught over the demise of their pals the woolly mammoths. We'll probably never know for sure.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:36:56 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2053 on: August 14, 2020, 11:23:12 pm »

Due to Tropical Storm Isaias that rolled through NJ last week, we lost power for 4 days.  So now we're investigating backup natural gas operated electric generators.  But I was thinking about solar panels combined with storage batteries with maybe a smaller emergency generator instead of just a larger generator with no solar panels. Does anyone know of that kind of a setup?

I don't think I can get enough storage for night time use.  But is anyone working in Europe or elsewhere on better performance or different methods?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2054 on: August 17, 2020, 01:16:58 am »

Death Valley soars to 130 degrees, potentially Earth’s highest temperature since at least 1931
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/08/16/death-valley-heat-record/

Ray

« Reply #2055 on: August 17, 2020, 02:04:02 am »

Death Valley soars to 130 degrees, potentially Earth’s highest temperature since at least 1931
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/08/16/death-valley-heat-record/

From the article:

"As it stands, if Sunday’s 130-degree reading is confirmed, it would be the world’s highest temperature officially recorded since 1931, and the third-highest since 1873."

So it seems there might have been a higher temperature way back in 1873 at the beginning of the current warm period when atmospheric CO2 levels were much lower and were close to pre-industrial levels. I guess we can all relax.   ;D

If we had accurate temperature records going back a 1,000 years or more, this current reading of 130 degrees F could be the 50th-highest in the world, or even the 100th-highest.  ;)

faberryman

« Reply #2056 on: August 17, 2020, 07:28:31 am »

If we had accurate temperature records going back a 1,000 years or more, this current reading of 130 degrees F could be the 50th-highest in the world, or even the 100th-highest.  ;)

Check with Alan. He has accurate temperature records going back several hundred million years. He even has a chart.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:04:43 am by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2057 on: August 17, 2020, 08:51:24 am »

Check with Alan. He has accurate temperature records going back several hundred million years. He even has a chart.
Well, Death Valley hasn't seen any polar bears in years.  :)

faberryman

« Reply #2058 on: August 17, 2020, 02:15:42 pm »

Well, Death Valley hasn't seen any polar bears in years.  :)

The radical left-wing scientists have been bought off by whomever is suppose to be buying off radical left-wing scientists to say that polar bears don't live in Death Valley. Otherwise, their argument that polar bears will go extinct due to climate change falls apart. The people who have been trying to film Sasquatch in the wilds of Canada have given up, and have now set up filming in Death Valley. We should have evidence of polar bears living in Death Valley on YouTube any day now. I don't know how hard it is to spray paint a black bear white.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 02:52:13 pm by faberryman »

hogloff

« Reply #2059 on: August 17, 2020, 03:07:15 pm »

The radical left-wing scientists have been bought off by whomever is suppose to be buying off radical left-wing scientists to say that polar bears don't live in Death Valley. Otherwise, their argument that polar bears will go extinct due to climate change falls apart. The people who have been trying to film Sasquatch in the wilds of Canada have given up, and have now set up filming in Death Valley. We should have evidence of polar bears living in Death Valley on YouTube any day now. I don't know how hard it is to spray paint a black bear white.

A white black bear is called a spirit bear and they roam the coastline of the Great Bear Rainforest.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 114   Go Up