Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111680 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #2000 on: August 08, 2020, 11:41:32 pm »

Man is part of nature. It uses nature for its advantages just like all other species.  Nature is not threatened by man. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2001 on: August 09, 2020, 06:40:01 am »

The overall population of the bear has increased at least three fold in thirty years.

Again, that's because we've stopped hunting them.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2002 on: August 09, 2020, 06:44:58 am »

Man is part of nature. It uses nature for its advantages just like all other species.  Nature is not threatened by man.

In the larger sense, that's true. Nature will carry on, even if it means making humans extinct. Nature will carry on just fine without us, we are just one particular adaption. We don't try to preserve nature because nature needs the help, we preserve it because WE need it to survive. This is basic, why does it need repeating.
--
Robert

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2003 on: August 09, 2020, 07:47:46 am »

In the larger sense, that's true. Nature will carry on, even if it means making humans extinct. Nature will carry on just fine without us, we are just one particular adaption. We don't try to preserve nature because nature needs the help, we preserve it because WE need it to survive. This is basic, why does it need repeating.

Indeed.

New research has found that the models used to estimate the rising temperatures that cause climate change as a result of human activity are honing in on a narrower (with less uncertainty), but also a somewhat higher side of the range. Do note that this new publication needs to be peer-reviewed.

An assessment of Earth's climate sensitivity using multiple lines of evidence
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2019RG000678
Plain Language Summary
Earth's global “climate sensitivity” is a fundamental quantitative measure of the susceptibility of Earth's climate to human influence. A landmark report in 1979 concluded that it probably lies between 1.5‐4.5°C per doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide, assuming that other influences on climate remain unchanged. In the 40 years since, it has appeared difficult to reduce this uncertainty range. In this report we thoroughly assess all lines of evidence including some new developments. We find that a large volume of consistent evidence now points to a more confident view of a climate sensitivity near the middle or upper part of this range. In particular, it now appears extremely unlikely that the climate sensitivity could be low enough to avoid substantial climate change (well in excess of 2°C warming) under a high‐emissions future scenario. We remain unable to rule out that the sensitivity could be above 4.5°C per doubling of carbon dioxide levels, although this is not likely. Continued research is needed to further reduce the uncertainty and we identify some of the more promising possibilities in this regard.

Also, in the Netherlands, last night we had a record hottest night since official recording started in 1901, and we're in a 'Code Orange' warning situation in parts of the country (temperature of 35+ °C, 95+ degrees Fahrenheit), which is unusual at our approx. 52 degrees North latitude and bordering the sea. We're in a heatwave situation that started 2 days ago and will last a week before returning to more normal (but rising) levels.

A major water provider is cautioning to use less water for spraying gardens or filling backyard pools, and to shorten the time we spend under the shower. Otherwise they will be forced to lower the water pressure, which might even lead to no drinking/tapwater in certain areas. This is something new for a country that is very good at getting rid of the water from our partly below sea-level living conditions. Now we need to also buffer more water for the more frequently hot and dry periods. This is at least the third year in a row that we suffer an annual water deficit, nature is drying up, foodproduction is under stress, and the risk of wildfires is increasing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:05:41 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2004 on: August 09, 2020, 08:36:24 am »

In Ontario, July 2020 was the hottest July in Toronto since Environment Canada began data collection 84 years ago.

“It was excruciatingly hot,” David Phillips, a climatologist at Environment and Climate Change Canada, told the Star. “No doubt about it, this was the warmest July.”
Phillips calculated that the average temperature for the month of July was 25 C, which beat the previous July record of 24.4 C set in 2011.
This July also saw an average daytime high of 30.3 C, which comes within spitting distance of the record set in 1951 of 30.3 C.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/07/30/hottest-july-in-84-years-environment-canada.html

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2005 on: August 09, 2020, 11:32:03 am »

Again, that's because we've stopped hunting them.
The media has been reporting the polar bear population has been decreasing.  That's not true.  It's tripled, at least in the last 30 years. If global warming is wiping them out, the numbers would still decrease.  The news is phony.  The only argument they could make is that if it warms up more, then it's possible it may reverse and start losing population.  But that's not their argument.  They've argued it's already decreasing and that's a lie. 

faberryman

« Reply #2006 on: August 09, 2020, 11:55:16 am »

The media has been reporting the polar bear population has been decreasing.  That's not true.  It's tripled, at least in the last 30 years. If global warming is wiping them out, the numbers would still decrease.  The news is phony.  The only argument they could make is that if it warms up more, then it's possible it may reverse and start losing population.  But that's not their argument.  They've argued it's already decreasing and that's a lie.

The studies showing an increase in polar bears are hoaxes. Climate charge deniers are funding them. Of course this is America, so you can believe whatever you want to believe, even if it is false.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:05:04 pm by faberryman »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2007 on: August 09, 2020, 12:33:27 pm »

The media has been reporting the polar bear population has been decreasing.

Reputable media? Then maybe they are correct.

FWIW, I don't even need the media to tell me that at the current rate of warming nature cannot adapt fast enough without making casualties. It can be observed when you open your eyes. In my country we are getting insects that have before only occurred in the Mediterranean. Some of those insects can move fast enough to follow the climate, but the indigenous insects/plants/animals have no defense against those invasive species. The polar regions are warming even faster which also affects foodsources of species that live there and have nowhere to migrate.

Attached the thermometer reading of this afternoon on my balcony (that's showing about 129 Fahrenheit).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:39:50 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #2008 on: August 09, 2020, 12:45:47 pm »

"Attached the thermometer reading of this afternoon on my balcony (that's showing about 129 Fahrenheit)." In full sunlight. Come on now, Bart, you should know better. And don't tell me I don't know about the weather in the Netherlands. I may have move away a long time ago, but I keep in touch with my relatives and friends there.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2009 on: August 09, 2020, 12:47:36 pm »

The studies showing an increase in polar bears are hoaxes. Climate charge deniers are funding them. Of course this is America, so you can believe whatever you want to believe, even if it is false.
The studies showing an decrease in polar bears are hoaxes. Climate charge supporters are funding them. Of course this is America, so you can believe whatever you want to believe, even if it is false.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2010 on: August 09, 2020, 12:50:54 pm »

Reputable media? Then maybe they are correct.

FWIW, I don't even need the media to tell me that at the current rate of warming nature cannot adapt fast enough without making casualties. It can be observed when you open your eyes. In my country we are getting insects that have before only occurred in the Mediterranean. Some of those insects can move fast enough to follow the climate, but the indigenous insects/plants/animals have no defense against those invasive species. The polar regions are warming even faster which also affects foodsources of species that live there and have nowhere to migrate.

Attached the thermometer reading of this afternoon on my balcony (that's showing about 129 Fahrenheit).
I hope you don't keep your film in the sun too.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2011 on: August 09, 2020, 12:59:49 pm »

"Attached the thermometer reading of this afternoon on my balcony (that's showing about 129 Fahrenheit)." In full sunlight. Come on now, Bart, you should know better. And don't tell me I don't know about the weather in the Netherlands. I may have move away a long time ago, but I keep in touch with my relatives and friends there.

Yes, in the sunshine. I need a new thermometer with a higher range.

Large parts of the cities do not have enough shade. Customers are avoiding shops, unless they sell essentials like food or have good cooling (which is costing the shops lots of extra money). And those relatives can tell you that the official KNMI weather-stations have at around the same time reported 32.3 Celsius (air temperature at 1.5 meters above the ground in a meadow) in the center of the country, which is where I live. And it's cooler today than it was yesterday.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:00:54 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

faberryman

« Reply #2012 on: August 09, 2020, 01:10:48 pm »

The studies showing an decrease in polar bears are hoaxes. Climate charge supporters are funding them. Of course this is America, so you can believe whatever you want to believe, even if it is false.

This is what happens when non-scientists read stuff, say about climate change, on the internet and make judgments based on it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2013 on: August 09, 2020, 01:13:17 pm »

Tell that to the dodo.

Jeremy

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2014 on: August 09, 2020, 01:40:39 pm »

On the contrary. The nature is threatened by man, and man can be threatened by nature (especially by hungry bears).

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2015 on: August 09, 2020, 02:02:01 pm »

Yes, in the sunshine. I need a new thermometer with a higher range.

Large parts of the cities do not have enough shade. Customers are avoiding shops, unless they sell essentials like food or have good cooling (which is costing the shops lots of extra money). And those relatives can tell you that the official KNMI weather-stations have at around the same time reported 32.3 Celsius (air temperature at 1.5 meters above the ground in a meadow) in the center of the country, which is where I live. And it's cooler today than it was yesterday.

I've got an awning over my back patio.  Maybe we can put one over the Earth and solve the global warming crisis?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2016 on: August 09, 2020, 02:05:55 pm »

Tell that to the dodo.

Jeremy
They weren't very smart.  That's why they called them the dodo.  :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2017 on: August 09, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »

I've got an awning over my back patio.  Maybe we can put one over the Earth and solve the global warming crisis?

Or reduce the build-up of CO2 (which causes an amplifying build-up of watervapor, and Methane, other greenhouse gasses).
Prevention seems more realistic than your cure.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2018 on: August 09, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »

On the contrary. The nature is threatened by man, and man can be threatened by nature (especially by hungry bears).
Who do you think has a better chance of surviving?  Man or bear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypy4zHxeCCw

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2019 on: August 09, 2020, 02:15:25 pm »

Or reduce the build-up of CO2 (which causes an amplifying build-up of watervapor, and Methane, other greenhouse gasses).
Prevention seems more realistic than your cure.
That's not going to happen.  We need to think out of the box.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 114   Go Up