Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 112242 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #1500 on: February 04, 2020, 06:54:53 pm »

2019 was the second warmest year in recorded history (just 0.04C after 2016). January 2019 was also earth's warmest January on record (as of 2019), essentially tying with January 2016. January 2020 was even warmer - 0.054C degrees warmer than 2019. I don't have the temperatures for all corners of the world, but January 2020 broke all records in Europe and in southern Canada. Last year, we had actually good ice for skating on the nearby lakes and ponds until late March, but not this year.

Given the size and tremendous heat capacity of the global oceans, it takes a massive amount of heat energy to raise Earth’s average yearly surface temperature even a small amount. The 2-degree increase in global average surface temperature that has occurred since the pre-industrial era (1880-1900) might seem small, but it means a significant increase in accumulated heat. That extra heat is driving regional and seasonal temperature extremes, reducing snow cover and sea ice, intensifying heavy rainfall, and changing habitat ranges for plants and animals—expanding some and shrinking others. 

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/eye-of-the-storm/earth-had-its-second-warmest-year-in-recorded-history-in-2019/

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1501 on: February 04, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »

It's been getting warmer since the Ice Age ended 12,000 years ago.  Man, animals and fauna have all done terrific the warmer it got.  So we're all going to do better. Isn't that good?  Frankly, I think a warmer winter is nice.  I was out yesterday practicing with my new 4x5 camera.  It was in the 50's.  I would have stayed home if it was really cold.  Warmer weather is good for photography.  And photographers.  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1502 on: February 04, 2020, 08:14:44 pm »

It's been getting warmer since the Ice Age ended 12,000 years ago.  Man, animals and fauna have all done terrific the warmer it got.  So we're all going to do better. Isn't that good?  Frankly, I think a warmer winter is nice.  I was out yesterday practicing with my new 4x5 camera.  It was in the 50's.  I would have stayed home if it was really cold.  Warmer weather is good for photography.  And photographers.  :)

I like it also more when it's warmer. But those warmer winters could seriously impact Florida economy. Just think of all the snow birds who stop going south.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1503 on: February 04, 2020, 08:48:14 pm »

I like it also more when it's warmer. But those warmer winters could seriously impact Florida economy. Just think of all the snow birds who stop going south.
You may be right.  I live in 55+ community.  Loads of people on my block are in FLorida right now keeping their buns warm.  If it warms up there, they might not go.  But it still will be pretty cold up there in Canada where you live.  So things will get cheaper in Florida for you and other Canadians.  See?  Global Warming is good for the economy.  The Canadian economy. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1504 on: February 07, 2020, 11:56:19 am »

Antarctica weather breaks the records. Yesterday, it was warmer there than in Jacksonville in Florida.

“The Argentine research base, which is called Esperanza, it’s on the northern tip of the Antarctic peninsula; it set a new record temperature yesterday: 18.3°C, which is not a figure you would normally associate with Antarctica even in summertime. This beat the former record of 17.5°C, which was set back in 2015.”

“It’s among the fastest-warming regions of the planet”, Ms. Nullis said of the Antarctic. “We hear a lot about the Arctic, but this particular part of the Antarctic peninsula is warming very quickly.  Over the past 50 years it’s warmed almost 3°C.” Amid steadily warming temperatures, Ms. Nullis also noted that the amount of ice lost annually from the Antarctic ice sheet “increased at least six-fold between 1979 and 2017”. Most of this ice loss happens when ice shelves melt from below, as they come into contact with relatively warm ocean water,

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/02/1056902

Rob C

« Reply #1505 on: February 07, 2020, 05:48:15 pm »

Antarctica weather breaks the records. Yesterday, it was warmer there than in Jacksonville in Florida.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/02/1056902

I watched, today, a brief clip of a massive, wide rim of a southern glacier collapsing into the sea. It was accompanied by the sound of cannon shots as the ice cracked and broke off. The scale of this event was huge, as will be the result when this keeps on happening with no way left to stop it.

Apparently, the ability of snowfall to replace the loss of ice is no longer enough to stabilize the balance again unless something exceptional happens to mitigate the direction of temperature travel.

Yet, it's silly alarmist nonsense to mention the fact. Go figure; that's a trick of self-deception with which I can't quite get to grips. It's so freakin' obvious that the more heat you put in the more heat you put in! Putting in less would, at the very least, contribute to a slowing down of the effect and buy us some time. But nope, all you get to hear about is economics, and how bad it might be for business to do anything to save our species!

I can see it now: a silent world with the seas covered in soggy greenbacks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:51:47 pm by Rob C »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1506 on: February 07, 2020, 10:45:36 pm »

Man, animals and fauna have all done terrific the warmer it got. So we're all going to do better. Isn't that good?

Alan, what you keep saying over and over and over is simply not true.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/winter-ticks-climate-change-moose-1.5452694

Forests and animals in general and moose in particular are dying at unprecedented rates due to insect infestation resulting from warmer winters.

Arctic natives are seeing insects they've never seen before.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1507 on: February 07, 2020, 11:44:55 pm »

Alan, what you keep saying over and over and over is simply not true.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/winter-ticks-climate-change-moose-1.5452694

Forests and animals in general and moose in particular are dying at unprecedented rates due to insect infestation resulting from warmer winters.

Arctic natives are seeing insects they've never seen before.
You're deciding which animals and plants are more valuable to nature.  The point is the number and diversity and especially the ranges have increased as the climate has gotten warmer.  Think of the huge range and population increases that have occured since the ice age ended due to warming.  Let's face it, there wouldn't be any Canadians if it was colder.  Les would have moved to FLorida a long time ago.  Also, while I hate ticks as much as the moose must, ticks are prey to many animals including other insects and birds. So their ranges and population will increase. Also, moose will adapt as deer adapted.  Read Darwin. Bottom line is warmer weather is better for animals and plants even though there will be minor displacements of some species. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1508 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:22 pm »

I haven't counted moose in my neighbourhood, but I got a pretty good understanding of the japanese beetles plaque. As reported previously, we get now many times more of then than in previous years. They are pretty, but nobody eats them and they eat voraciously leaves on our berry bushes - currants, raspberries, and blackberries. Last summer, I neutralized thousands of them (40-50 per day for at least 100 days), otherwise the plants wouldn't have survived their onslaught. Who needs those invaders?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1509 on: February 08, 2020, 12:14:04 am »

I haven't counted moose in my neighbourhood, but I got a pretty good understanding of the japanese beetles plaque. As reported previously, we get now many times more of then than in previous years. They are pretty, but nobody eats them and they eat voraciously leaves on our berry bushes - currants, raspberries, and blackberries. Last summer, I neutralized thousands of them (40-50 per day for at least 100 days), otherwise the plants wouldn't have survived their onslaught. Who needs those invaders?
I can;t stand ticks.  I've had Lyme disease and my dog almost died from some tick borne disease.  I'm afraid to go into the woods to take pictures.  So I understand.  New Jersey where I live i like the central cross hairs for their livelihood.  But that's not the point.  When climate changes there are winners and losers, mainly winners.  If it was colder, you;d have to leave Canada.  The point I'm making is that warmer climate is good for all species mainly,  Sure there are local imbalances that occur.  But generally, all species do better/  One look at the tropics like in Brazil and you can appreciate just how varied and populated the place is.  Pointing out one or two species that might be having problems from warm weather is only telling half the story.  That's what makes people so suspicious of the claims.  Leaving out the species that are growing when discussing these things, just make people like myself question the honesty of the supporters of climate change.  They have their thumbs on the scale. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1510 on: February 08, 2020, 05:07:57 am »

... Putting in less would, at the very least, contribute to a slowing down of the effect and buy us some time. But nope, all you get to hear about is economics, and how bad it might be for business to do anything to save our species! ...

A Heated Oxford Education
Protesting students get a personal lesson about fossil fuels.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-heated-oxford-education-11580680180?emailToken=3235e27a89fc2771d4f00eba3db46873VpLXirAFKJXTW0D3vK+n7jh8buXzfDc3WEmeJrRcoe8YMsHkZe9%2F3%2FQNeKHwcsOWi2bUJzbN1J74cCVlogRuQQ%3D%3D&reflink=article_copyURL_share

... students occupying his 15th-century quadrangle and refusing to leave until the college divested its oil-company shares. The students want the college to sell the more than $10 million of its endowment now invested in Shell and BP, and they want it now.

... bursar Andrew Parker made them a counteroffer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”

;D ;D ;D

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1511 on: February 08, 2020, 07:09:12 am »

A Heated Oxford Education
Protesting students get a personal lesson about fossil fuels.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-heated-oxford-education-11580680180?emailToken=3235e27a89fc2771d4f00eba3db46873VpLXirAFKJXTW0D3vK+n7jh8buXzfDc3WEmeJrRcoe8YMsHkZe9%2F3%2FQNeKHwcsOWi2bUJzbN1J74cCVlogRuQQ%3D%3D&reflink=article_copyURL_share

;D ;D ;D

If he were to divest at short notice, the students wouldn't mind putting on some extra clothes. But he is not making such an offer, so why should they?
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1512 on: February 08, 2020, 09:42:08 am »

If he were to divest at short notice, the students wouldn't mind putting on some extra clothes. But he is not making such an offer, so why should they?
I've made that offer to my wife.  But she didn't take me up on it.  :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1513 on: February 08, 2020, 03:01:26 pm »

Meanwhile, this Saturday, we're bracing ourselves for a Gigantic (ranging from Norway to North Spain) Low-pressure system that's traveling from Ireland towards the Werstern European coast. Tomorrow, Sunday Febr. 9th, 2020, in the afternoon, the storm named "Ciara" is anticipated to deliver windgusts on land with a speed of more than 120 Km/h, Schiphol Amsterdan Airport has cancelled several dozens of flights, Soccer-games and other outdoor-activities have been cancelled, and roadtraffic is advised to avoid traveling with empty trucks and prepare for delays. The peak is expected between 18:00h - 20:00h local time. It's a Code Orange situation, so it could be worse, but it's still something to take seriously.

Due to heavy rains last week, the water level in the river Meuse, where it enters the country, has rizen to 13.75 meters (a little over 45 feet) above (roughly) average sea-level. But that's not a critical level yet. Let's hope the wind coming from the South-West doesn't damage the water-management systems or raises the level any more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:05:08 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Rob C

« Reply #1514 on: February 08, 2020, 05:39:48 pm »

Meanwhile, this Saturday, we're bracing ourselves for a Gigantic (ranging from Norway to North Spain) Low-pressure system that's traveling from Ireland towards the Werstern European coast. Tomorrow, Sunday Febr. 9th, 2020, in the afternoon, the storm named "Ciara" is anticipated to deliver windgusts on land with a speed of more than 120 Km/h, Schiphol Amsterdan Airport has cancelled several dozens of flights, Soccer-games and other outdoor-activities have been cancelled, and roadtraffic is advised to avoid traveling with empty trucks and prepare for delays. The peak is expected between 18:00h - 20:00h local time. It's a Code Orange situation, so it could be worse, but it's still something to take seriously.

Due to heavy rains last week, the water level in the river Meuse, where it enters the country, has rizen to 13.75 meters (a little over 45 feet) above (roughly) average sea-level. But that's not a critical level yet. Let's hope the wind coming from the South-West doesn't damage the water-management systems or raises the level any more.

We just got rid of Gloria so please, no Gigantics required right now!

A neighbour has a nice, shiny new black Audi which helps raise the tone of the parking lot. During a recent weather tantrum, it became landing strip for a few terracotta pantiles from off the roof of a building. Roof, hood and trunk all badly dented. Could have been my Fiesta - lucky this time: it's hail that dents it every year, but not this year yet.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1515 on: February 08, 2020, 05:48:10 pm »

We just got rid of Gloria so please, no Gigantics required right now!

A neighbour has a nice, shiny new black Audi which helps raise the tone of the parking lot. During a recent weather tantrum, it became landing strip for a few terracotta pantiles from off the roof of a building. Roof, hood and trunk all badly dented. Could have been my Fiesta - lucky this time: it's hail that dents it every year, but not this year yet.

At this moment, 'Ciara' is reported as having windspeeds of 100 m/s over the Atlantic ocean, that's 360 km/h (224 miles/hour). It'll slow down when it makes landfall.

Let's hope you are far enough to the South end of this storm this time. I'm not as lucky this round.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:57:13 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1516 on: February 08, 2020, 08:36:59 pm »

Daily Satellite Observations of Methane from Oil and Gas Production Regions in the United States
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-57678-4.pdf?origin=ppub

Production of oil and natural gas in North America is at an all-time high due to the development and use
of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing. Methane emissions associated with this industrial activity
are a concern because of the contribution to climate radiative forcing

Methane emissions from the U.S. oil and natural gas supply chain have received much recent attention and are estimated to be 2.3% of gross U.S. gas  production4 and 41% of the anthropogenic U.S. emissions.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1517 on: February 08, 2020, 08:55:53 pm »

Daily Satellite Observations of Methane from Oil and Gas Production Regions in the United States
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-57678-4.pdf?origin=ppub

If we were not producing it, someone else would or other carbon fossil fuels would be used that are dirtier.  Fracking has made us energy independent of oil and gas.  It may help us stay out of Middle East conflicts, while you are dependent on buying Saudi oil and Russian natural gas. The additional wealth created by fracking has made America a lot richer.  It's allowed us to reduce by half the dirtier coal we used before with cleaner natural gas, reducing our CO2 footprint and amount of pollution. 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1518 on: February 08, 2020, 08:58:58 pm »

If we were not producing it, someone else would or other carbon fossil fuels would be used that are dirtier.  Fracking has made us energy independent of oil and gas.  It may help us stay out of Middle East conflicts, while you are dependent on buying Saudi oil and Russian natural gas. The additional wealth created by fracking has made America a lot richer.  It's allowed us to reduce by half the dirtier coal we used before with cleaner natural gas, reducing our CO2 footprint and amount of pollution.

This is about leakage... spilling gas without any purpose; it is about contamination for no reason.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1519 on: February 08, 2020, 09:05:42 pm »

If we were not producing it, someone else would or other carbon fossil fuels would be used that are dirtier.

You're not making sense. In this case, the USA is leaking the Methane. You cannot blame it on Democrats or anybody else. It is your leakage, address it, or at least do not deny it. Denial is the cause of much of this. Sane people wouldn't deny what's irrefutably obvious.

It's just one (of several) more reasons to not depend on only USA produced natural gas ...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:15:55 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 114   Go Up