Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX100, a 15 fold increase of value compared to an XF IQ350 (per Bernard)  (Read 20505 times)

faberryman

Re: The incomprehensible and absurd overpricing of the Fuji GFX-100
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2019, 07:46:04 pm »

There are some people here making comments on a camera they have actually held. Is that allowed?
Sure beats arguing about the price.

hubell

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2019, 10:34:47 pm »

I assume the GFX 100 will perform quite well, but let's wait to read some detailed reviews from independent reviewers like Diglloyd. All that's out there now are paeans from paid shills.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2019, 10:53:23 pm »

There are some people here making comments on a camera they have actually held. Is that allowed?

Shocking, I know.... 😀

But their positive feedbacks about a camera not carrying an Hasselblad logo are highly suspicious...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:19:43 pm by BernardLanguillier »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2019, 01:54:37 am »

In short things would be perfect if Edmund changed the title of thread to “GFX100, a 15 fold increase of value compared to an XF IQ350”. :D

Cheers,
Bernard

Your wish is my command!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com

A few impressions from my days with the GFX100.

- Ergonomically I actually prefer the gip of the GFX50 and my XF. The 100 isn’t bad at all, but for me the other two cameras are better to hold. It could be a little deeper. After reading so much negative stuff about the portrait grip, I was positively surprised. It feels quite nice.

- Weight: I think it’s ok. It feels like a normal large pro camera. It’s not the feeling I had with some GF lenses. (Look big, feel super light) it’s feels more how it looks.

- AF and stuff: shooting was a lot of fun and IBIS works quite nice. I’m really loved the AF no comparison to the slow CDAF Auto focus on the 50s. That surprise won’t come if your used a modern DSLR or mirrorless. It will be a huuuuge upgrade when coming from a medium format camera like the XF or H series. For me it’s a 50s on drugs. :)

- file quality is great, what I have seen so far, but honestly the current job would have been able to be shot on any camera. I will have to wait till I can shoot some more stuff to see.

At the end I’m mostly pissed at my faulty camera. This can always happen but honestly shouldn’t. I saved all settings with X Aquire and so it’s easy to restore them before going out, but once I’m back home the camera has to go in. I don’t think the problem will fix itself. I have been using the camera for a full day now and it was sitting with two full batteries for over 48hours without any change...
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

eronald

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2019, 05:21:12 am »

Lol :D

Cheers,
Bernard

You owe me one GFX100 cat pic   ;)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2019, 08:17:50 am »

It should be banned immediately: those folks are fanboys who put their money down. That can't possibly be clinically objective; from the very start it reveals a predisposition to believing!

Rob

eronald

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2019, 09:28:46 am »

It should be banned immediately: those folks are fanboys who put their money down. That can't possibly be clinically objective; from the very start it reveals a predisposition to believing!

Rob

True, but then a noted test site (dpr) published a whole series of totally fuzzy foobarred testshots from the GFX100 . 

As a somewhat contentious  :) US political commentator and amateur politician would say on his twitter account: "Fakenews everywhere, so sad!".

It seem that in the case of the GFX100 we have one of those still rare but very unfortunate cases of a product delivering as advertised, a trend which someone should speedily stop before the ad industry tanks.

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:38:38 am by eronald »

narikin

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2019, 11:26:45 am »

The camera is great. So far I’m impressed a lot. IBIS and AF are great. However, mine probably has to go back to Fuji as it resets itself every time when switching it off.  ::)

Have you tried charging it via the USB-C port on the side of body? A good long charge to fill up the Li-ion button cell inside that stores settings.

Mine is behaving ok.  Not that a firmware update wouldn't help.
Remember to update your lens firmware too - needed to take advantage of the PD-AF.

Christopher

Lenses are updated. Did that way before with my 50s.

It’s currently hanging on a USB charger and two full batteries. However, I doubt it will change anything.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

narikin

Lenses are updated. Did that way before with my 50s.

It’s currently hanging on a USB charger and two full batteries. However, I doubt it will change anything.

Great a *fast* USB-C charger is best, of course, if you have one. Otherwise... overnight.
Worked for me.

hubell

A few impressions from my days with the GFX100.

- Ergonomically I actually prefer the gip of the GFX50 and my XF. The 100 isn’t bad at all, but for me the other two cameras are better to hold. It could be a little deeper. After reading so much negative stuff about the portrait grip, I was positively surprised. It feels quite nice.

- Weight: I think it’s ok. It feels like a normal large pro camera. It’s not the feeling I had with some GF lenses. (Look big, feel super light) it’s feels more how it looks.

- AF and stuff: shooting was a lot of fun and IBIS works quite nice. I’m really loved the AF no comparison to the slow CDAF Auto focus on the 50s. That surprise won’t come if your used a modern DSLR or mirrorless. It will be a huuuuge upgrade when coming from a medium format camera like the XF or H series. For me it’s a 50s on drugs. :)

- file quality is great, what I have seen so far, but honestly the current job would have been able to be shot on any camera. I will have to wait till I can shoot some more stuff to see.

At the end I’m mostly pissed at my faulty camera. This can always happen but honestly shouldn’t. I saved all settings with X Aquire and so it’s easy to restore them before going out, but once I’m back home the camera has to go in. I don’t think the problem will fix itself. I have been using the camera for a full day now and it was sitting with two full batteries for over 48hours without any change...

It may be a limited firmware issue with the camera if you are using German as the language for camera settings. Try switching to English, save some settings, and see if it makes a difference when you turn it off and back on. Just a thought.

Christopher

Tried that. Or let’s say I always use English. After the last reset I choose some Asian languages and had a short moment of: “how will I ever be able to find the language settings again if it works.” However, it did not. Same reset, there are currently 7 people I know of with the same problem. This should never happened, but well I can live with it for a week and then it goes back to Fuji.

I wanted to try reinstalling the firmware, but I doubt the camera would even let me install the same firmware over the current one.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

hubell

Tried that. Or let’s say I always use English. After the last reset I choose some Asian languages and had a short moment of: “how will I ever be able to find the language settings again if it works.” However, it did not. Same reset, there are currently 7 people I know of with the same problem. This should never happened, but well I can live with it for a week and then it goes back to Fuji.

I wanted to try reinstalling the firmware, but I doubt the camera would even let me install the same firmware over the current one.

Very disappointing, as I am sure you were looking forward to working with it. Amazing how often cameras are being released these days with all kinds of issues or incomplete firmware right out of the gate, no matter the price level. You certainly have had more than your share of frustration this year.

SrMi

Really?

Is this the right thread to report and discuss first experience with GFX 100.

:)

eronald

Really?

Is this the right thread to report and discuss first experience with GFX 100.

:)

Yes, absolutely. I think we would all like to see some photos, especially cat photos, as is traditional. Bernard seems to have been able to find a GFX100, but no cat, no pictures  :)

Edmund

32BT

• Pictures

I expect B to present us a picture of a sailboat in action real soon! I mean, what better place to take a brand spanking new 15k jewel of envy to than over the middle of a deep trench in the ocean somewhere. You gotta be livin' on the edge, no?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

Christopher, I had the same issue with the GFX 100 units we received for our clients as we were updating firmware. I suspect, as some have noted, that the internal battery needs a longer charge to hold those settings. I hope this is the case, rather than something that a new firmware needs to address.

Note to Mr. Cubell: Other than that, we so far have not come across any issues, nor did this prevent us from using the camera. It simply means you have to set the date when you turn it on. I don't think it is fair to lump this in with other "cameras are being released these days with all kinds of issues".

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

hubell

Christopher, I had the same issue with the GFX 100 units we received for our clients as we were updating firmware. I suspect, as some have noted, that the internal battery needs a longer charge to hold those settings. I hope this is the case, rather than something that a new firmware needs to address.

Note to Mr. Cubell: Other than that, we so far have not come across any issues, nor did this prevent us from using the camera. It simply means you have to set the date when you turn it on. I don't think it is fair to lump this in with other "cameras are being released these days with all kinds of issues".

Steve Hendrix/CI

My understanding is that the faulty cameras were dropping all of the custom settings that you entered into the firmware each time you turned it off. No small matter for a camera with a 300 page manual filled with different settings that you customize. Moreover, there are other glitches being reported by first users. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4405899#forum-post-62836667. I am NOT pointing fingers just at Fuji. As you know, I have an X1D, which had more than its fair share of teething issues. I am sure Fuji will get it all sorted out in time, but I think most of us expect more when we drop $10k on a camera. I assume you would agree, Steve.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up