Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adventure Land  (Read 1350 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Adventure Land
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 05:01:08 am »

Haha, good one.

Yes, another great picture.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would look as if you use different camera bodies for your photographs.
Is there  a reason behind that?
I would bet that you can do that with ANY camera (or almost  8) )

Thanks and I'm running a workshop right now so was not following up on the thread and I have to sleep after a very early start today as the sun rises so early now.

The reason for different cameras and a Z7 is that I was frustrated back in time with all the Nikon shooters and some even experienced not knowing where to change settings like e.g. back button focus. So I decided to have a Nikon as well. Nobody was complaining about me not knowing the Nikons at the time. It was only me wanting to help my guests in a better way. So despite I write that I expect people to have an understanding of their cameras this is only partially true in reality. You would be surprised what some experienced shooters don't know :)

Now I have a Z7 as I'm curious about how this will affect my shooting style and again it is to be experienced on mirrorless cameras when I have a growing number of participants coming with mirrorless cameras. So I like to be able to respond to questions from experience and not just the theory so to speak.

We spend time on the technical aspects of camera handling to have the basic technical quality, but of course that is not the main focus of the workshops. I hoipe this answers the question.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 05:03:18 am »

And also thanks a lot for all the comments. We will as a group also go to this place and now we are staying one night and morning. So we will see what we get and hope the best for the big fog machine. :)

rabanito

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 11:20:50 am »

The reason for different cameras and a Z7 is that I was frustrated back in time with all the Nikon shooters and some even experienced not knowing where to change settings like e.g. back button focus. So I decided to have a Nikon as well. Nobody was complaining about me not knowing the Nikons at the time. It was only me wanting to help my guests in a better way. So despite I write that I expect people to have an understanding of their cameras this is only partially true in reality. You would be surprised what some experienced shooters don't know :)

Thanks Hans. Very clear.  :)
And no, I'm not surprised. I used to know one or two experienced photographers who were very weak in many areas of photography and, worse still, didn't know it  :(

I asked because in the old times, when I tried to do some serious photography, I used different cameras for different situations (4x5"/6x6) so I was wondering  :)
I'm relatively new to digital photography.
Again thanks

praja343

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 12:17:34 pm »

Fantastic image Hans. Too bad there is no fall workshop in the Dolomites! I will have to wait for next fall I guess. You seem to get the "spirit" of the Dolomites and Tuscany right on target.

faberryman

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 12:35:31 pm »

You seem to have a talent to create an issue when there is none. There is a difference between a genuine desire to help your participants, and the need for a legal protection from those who might ask for money back or leave a negative review because the instructor didn't know what an obscure menu choice on their camera is.
Why would anyone need legal protection for not knowing a menu selection? Sounds like irrational hyperbole to me.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2019, 01:05:17 pm »

Stunning.  Lucky for the workshop participants!

rabanito

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 01:06:45 pm »

Why would anyone need legal protection for not knowing a menu selection? Sounds like irrational hyperbole to me.
I also do not see a reason to use Back Button Focus when using a tripod but that could be just a detail

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 06:26:21 am »

I also do not see a reason to use Back Button Focus when using a tripod but that could be just a detail

I present my shooting technique for the participants and the rationale behind each part regarding focussing, DOF, exposure, camera shake, etc.etc.

My approach is not to say that's the only way to do it, but to explain the reasons why I have arrived at my technique and then each can take from that what makes sense for them. Some og my reasons may not apply to them. All has highly appreciated this approach. But it is not the focus of the workshop. The technique is just a way to repetitively avoid technical errors and maximize attention on shooting and composition when the moment is there. In a similar way I also show my compositions and editing technique in the class room in the middle of the day. We shoot only morning and evening.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 06:31:08 am »

Fantastic image Hans. Too bad there is no fall workshop in the Dolomites! I will have to wait for next fall I guess. You seem to get the "spirit" of the Dolomites and Tuscany right on target.

Thanks and yes, I have to make time for some other activities this fall so I apologize for the cancelation.But next year I again do the two Dolomites workshops which have done in various forms since 2010. One of the first btw. to do this in the Dolomites but now there are many choices.

rabanito

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 08:45:12 am »

I present my shooting technique for the participants and the rationale behind each part regarding focussing, DOF, exposure, camera shake, etc.etc.

My approach is not to say that's the only way to do it, but to explain the reasons why I have arrived at my technique and then each can take from that what makes sense for them. Some og my reasons may not apply to them. All has highly appreciated this approach. But it is not the focus of the workshop. The technique is just a way to repetitively avoid technical errors and maximize attention on shooting and composition when the moment is there. In a similar way I also show my compositions and editing technique in the class room in the middle of the day. We shoot only morning and evening.

Don't take me wrong, Hans.
By just looking at your images there is no doubt in my mind that you have a lot to say and your workshops are definitely highly profitable.
As I said, my remark was just a detail.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:21 am »

Don't take me wrong, Hans.
By just looking at your images there is no doubt in my mind that you have a lot to say and your workshops are definitely highly profitable.
As I said, my remark was just a detail.

Thanks for that and I just thought it would be better with an explanation which might not be obvious if I made a much brief response.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up