Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adventure Land  (Read 1341 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Adventure Land
« on: June 06, 2019, 05:04:13 pm »

I'm now in the Dolomites to run yet another workshop and a few days ago a wonderful morning at Alpe di Siusi was with fog early in the morning before sunrise. It was shot with my new Nikon Z7 and the 24-70 f/4 lens.

Adventure Land by Hans Kruse, on Flickr

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Adventure Land
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 06:16:58 pm »

I can just imagine your students running over those hills, operating the portable Fog Machines that you no doubt provide on some workshops.   ;D

That is quite lovely!

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rabanito

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:44:08 am »

I can just imagine your students running over those hills, operating the portable Fog Machines that you no doubt provide on some workshops.   ;D

That is quite lovely!

-Eric

Haha, good one.

Yes, another great picture.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would look as if you use different camera bodies for your photographs.
Is there  a reason behind that?
I would bet that you can do that with ANY camera (or almost  8) )

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 06:16:39 am »

Excellent, the fog is just where it needs to be!
Bravo.
Francois

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 07:11:35 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:13:55 am »

Amazing!

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:10:03 pm »

+2
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 12:16:48 pm »

... Maybe I'm wrong but it would look as if you use different camera bodies for your photographs.
Is there  a reason behind that?...

Hans mentioned the reason in the past: he shoots with both Canon and Nikon in order to be able to help his workshop participants who come with different cameras.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 12:17:38 pm »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »

Stunning, Hans. Good title, too.

Jeremy

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 01:02:17 pm »

Hans mentioned the reason in the past: he shoots with both Canon and Nikon in order to be able to help his workshop participants who come with different cameras.

Thanks Slobodan.
Still I don't see how this would be relevant, I assume that he teaches how to make GREAT photography and not necessarily how to use a camera model.
I asked because IMHO a Nikon or a Canon are both able to make the same photo. Goes without saying the rest of the paraphernalia, lenses, filters etc to carry to those beautiful locations  ...
I assume that the point is "the magic moment", that not necessarily lasts for a very long time (fog, light etc)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:31 pm »

... Still I don't see how this would be relevant, I assume that he teaches how to make GREAT photography and not necessarily how to use a camera model...

Sorry to speak for Hans again, but it is relevant. Participants in those workshops are not all highly experienced photographers, so some of them need help with a particular model.

Heck, I will be the first to admit I do not know all there is to know about my Canon 5Ds.

rabanito

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 01:29:43 pm »

Sorry to speak for Hans again, but it is relevant. Participants in those workshops are not all highly experienced photographers, so some of them need help with a particular model.

Heck, I will be the first to admit I do not know all there is to know about my Canon 5Ds.

OK. Looking at his photography I made the assumption that participants would have to have a minimum (or homogeneous) level to begin with.
Hans writes "It is expected that you are familiar with the camera and menues since it is not possible for the instructor to know every variant of even Canon or Nikon cameras."
Which is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - IMHO.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 01:34:40 pm »

OK. Looking at his photography I made the assumption that participants would have to have a minimum (or homogeneous) level to begin with.
Hans writes "It is expected that you are familiar with the camera and menues since it is not possible for the instructor to know every variant of even Canon or Nikon cameras."
Which is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - IMHO.

You seem to have a talent to create an issue when there is none. There is a difference between a genuine desire to help your participants, and the need for a legal protection from those who might ask for money back or leave a negative review because the instructor didn't know what an obscure menu choice on their camera is.

rabanito

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 01:56:57 pm »

You seem to have a talent to create an issue when there is none. There is a difference between a genuine desire to help your participants, and the need for a legal protection from those who might ask for money back or leave a negative review because the instructor didn't know what an obscure menu choice on their camera is.

I see no issue here, Slobodan.
I approve what is written in the description of the workshop.

I asked Hans a simple question.
You answered, thanks for doing so. But your answer brought about new questions. And I asked them
I'm not criticizing in any way.
But the way to learn is asking your questions to the persons who know more.
Or your sit on your doubts forever. 8)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 02:30:06 pm »

Thanks Slobodan.
Still I don't see how this would be relevant, I assume that he teaches how to make GREAT photography and not necessarily how to use a camera model.
I asked because IMHO a Nikon or a Canon are both able to make the same photo. Goes without saying the rest of the paraphernalia, lenses, filters etc to carry to those beautiful locations  ...
I assume that the point is "the magic moment", that not necessarily lasts for a very long time (fog, light etc)
I took two workshops in the 1960s with Minor White. The main focus of the workshop was clearly Fine Art Photography, but Minor was very ready with quick answers to small technical questions as well.

I expect Hans works in a similar way. I doubt if as much as 1% of the workshop time is spent on technical details, but often a quick technical answer can get a student back on the track to make GREAT photography without slowing down anyone else.

That's my speculative two cents.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 03:58:04 pm »

Hans, yet another stunner!!! Love the comments about the students with the fog machines!! Hi too to Eric, we seem to be attracted to the same photos  :)
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:51 pm »

Lovely as always, Hans!

So how big is that industrial-size fog machine you seem to bring along on many of your shoots in Italy? :-)
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

rabanito

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 04:07:56 pm »

I expect Hans works in a similar way. I doubt if as much as 1% of the workshop time is spent on technical details, but often a quick technical answer can get a student back on the track to make GREAT photography without slowing down anyone else.
-Eric

Of course, I'm sure this is like that.
But the original question was
"Maybe I'm wrong but it would look as if you use different camera bodies for your photographs.
Is there  a reason behind that? "

A simple one. Not related uniquely to workshops

Then we digressed on Slobodan's answer. I didn't see the point of taking different cameras to a shooting location "for helping those with different gear" Sonys and Lumix and whatever would perhaps be deployed as well by other participants.

I was not satisfied w that answer. No offence meant to anyone

stamper

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 04:04:17 am »

Back to the critique. An amazing image!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up