Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 119338 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2019, 03:11:17 pm »

... And don't holiday in the Maldives.

Ah, the proverbial Maldives. The butt of all global warming alarmists' jokes:

"DUD PREDICTION: MALDIVES SUNK BY 2018"

The Canberra Times 30 years ago:

MALE, Maldives: A gradual rise in average sea level is threatening to completely cover this Indian Ocean nation of 1196 small islands within the next 30 years, according to authorities.

The Environmental Affairs Director, Mr Hussein Shihab, said an estimated rise of 20 to 30 centimetres in the next 20 to 40 years could be "catastrophic" for most of the islands, which were no more than a metre above sea level.

The United Nations Environment Project was planning a study of the problem.

But the end of the Maldives and its 200,000 people could come sooner if drinking water supplies dry up by 1992, as predicted.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #241 on: June 06, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »

To a leftist the sky always is falling.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2019, 03:55:34 pm »

Ah, the proverbial Maldives. The butt of all global warming alarmists' jokes:

"DUD PREDICTION: MALDIVES SUNK BY 2018"

Ah, back to spreading fake news.

For those interested in what science did say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41TCWEl-x_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aQqTFGxrmg

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #243 on: June 06, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »

Ah, back to spreading fake news...

Ah, poor government bureaucrats and journalists. Scapegoated again for fake news. And where did they get their ideas from? Thin air? And where were rigorous and outraged denials from the scientific community THEN, not only when the predictions didn’t pan out?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2019, 05:33:25 pm »

A lovely Trump portrait in The Economist magazine 😊

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:32 pm »

Well actually the Maldives came up with an engineering solution of spraying sand onto the islands to reclaim them and also build new ones.
(A bit like Waikiki Beach spraying sand onto the beach so that it looks pretty.)
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125198-on-front-line-of-climate-change-as-maldives-fights-rising-seas/

When I bought my first house in 1980 it was a converted boat shed that was actually over the water. The highest tides recorded at that time in Sydney were 2.0 metres. The house next door would go under water at that level.

We now have high recorded tides of 2.2metres. So it is not just the average sea level you need to worry about, it is the highest tides.

Buried in this 19 pages report which seems to deny sea level rise is a simple statement "Notwithstanding this, the indicated sea level rise trend at Fort Denison (Sydney) of 1 to 3 mm per year is consistent with the geocentric global average sea level change (IPCC, 2013)." That confirms what I have seen over the last 40 years.

https://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/docs/tide/AHA_Conference_2014_Sea_Level_Trends.pdf
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

James Clark

« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2019, 08:47:32 pm »

It's not inaccurate.  But it's tragic that some Americans think it's a compliment.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2019, 09:24:48 pm »

A bigger airship could be painted in orange and adorned with the following titles:
- Grandiosity
- Entitlement
- Lies
- Bulls**t

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2019, 09:28:11 pm »

The biggest lies the president ever said were "you can keep your doctor" and "the cost of health insurance will go down."

Oh wait.....

JoeKitchen

« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2019, 09:33:39 pm »

The biggest lies the president ever said were "you can keep your doctor" and "the cost of health insurance will go down."

Oh wait.....

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

James Clark

« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2019, 09:35:10 pm »

Oh wait.....

The former was (sometimes) wrong, but anyone who deals with insurance on a regular basis knows that doctors move in and out of insurance plans and networks all the time - this isn't a fault of the ACA, merely a choice on the doctor's part.  I've had the same doctors for over a decade, as has my wife.

As for the latter, in my experience the *rate of increase* has slowed measurably.  Again, a lie?  I'd be hesitant to call it that, and if I were a Trump defender I'd have to be neck deep in my own hypocrisy to stick on these old tropes as evidence of deceit when giving Trump a pass daily.

James Clark

« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2019, 09:39:27 pm »

The quote in context:

"...if you had a law which said healthy people are going to pay in — you made explicit that healthy people pay in and sick people get money — it would not have passed. OK? Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage"

Basically, if you're transparent selfish people will refuse to allow for the general health and welfare of their fellow Americans.  And you know what?  He is and was right.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2019, 09:40:38 pm »

The former was (sometimes) wrong, but anyone who deals with insurance on a regular basis knows that doctors move in and out of insurance plans and networks all the time - this isn't a fault of the ACA, merely a choice on the doctor's part.  I've had the same doctors for over a decade, as has my wife.

As for the latter, in my experience the *rate of increase* has slowed measurably.  Again, a lie?  I'd be hesitant to call it that, and if I were a Trump defender I'd have to be neck deep in my own hypocrisy to stick on these old tropes as evidence of deceit when giving Trump a pass daily.

Sorry, but Gruber specifically stated that Obama knew, undoubtedly, that when he said, " if you like your doctor ..." he was lying.  It is on the record. 

Insofar as my increases, I saw 40%+ increases three years in a row when the law went into effect.  I had good coverage too, with no life time limits on service.  I did not get coverage for things like prostate exams, or other 50+ years of age issues, but then again I did not need them.  I also did not have a prescription plans, but the two times I paid for prescriptions out of pocket, it cost me $20, max, so whats the point.  Now I have no choice. 

Look on the bright I guess, that $65 extra dollars per month I am paying just covered a $100 tetanus shot and a $85 MMR booster shot, first prescriptions I've filled in at least 8 years.  In another 10 years I guess, they'll cover it again. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:58:00 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2019, 09:42:01 pm »

The quote in context:

Basically, if you're transparent selfish people will refuse to allow for the general health and welfare of their fellow Americans.  And you know what?  He is and was right.

Would you care to continue the quote to "... the stupidity of the American voter?" 

Anyway, so what you are saying is, it is okay to blatantly lie to people to get your way?  Very Machiavellian of you James. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:59:22 pm by JoeKitchen »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2019, 09:47:46 pm »

Obama's lie and the Democrats unilateral support of Obamacare effects 20% of the American economy.  Now THAT's a lie. The liberal press, about 90% of it,  ignores lies and spin by Democrats and politicians they favor.  They get a pass.  They spend all their time looking at Trump.  The media is so biased against Trump and Republicans, the public is being misled.  Certainly they were misled about Obamacare, major and very consequential legislation. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2019, 09:52:26 pm »

To a leftist the sky always is falling.

Fortunately, the sky is not falling, but methane clouds are rising.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2019, 09:53:48 pm »

The quote in context:

Wow.  You support politicians lying when you agree with the result they want.  But the issue is not that politicians lie.  The issue is when the press hides it from the public because they support the results.  The press is suppose to protect us from deceitful politicians.  That's why the Constitution felt is was so important to have Freedom of the Press in the Bill of RIghts.  But that means the press has to act responsibly by letting the public know the BS on all sides.  When they fail to do that you got "fake news", biased news, and government that in the end will hurt the people. 

James Clark

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2019, 10:26:31 pm »

Sorry, but Gruber specifically stated that Obama knew, undoubtedly, that when he said, " if you like your doctor ..." he was lying.  It is on the record.

Is it?  I can't find any record of that, but I'm open to correction.  Nevertheless, again, there's nothing in the ACA that forces people to change doctors, or forces doctors to leave plans.  Plans and doctors can and do, and always have, changed organically.  The fact that some doctors or plans changed after the ACA was was implement is not, in and of itself, any indication that a deliberate "lie" was told, or that the ACA caused this at all.

Insofar as my increases, I saw 40%+ increases three years in a row when the law went into effect.  I had good coverage too, with no life time limits on service.  I did not get coverage for things like prostate exams, or other 50+ years of age issues, but then again I did not need them.  I also did not have a prescription plans, but the two times I paid for prescriptions out of pocket, it cost me $20, max, so whats the point.  Now I have no choice.

Look on the bright I guess, that $65 extra dollars per month I am paying just covered a $100 tetanus shot and a $85 MMR booster shot, first prescriptions I've filled in at least 8 years.  In another 10 years I guess, they'll cover it again.

...and millions more people have coverage.   Does that matter to you?  If not, what Grueber said is prescient.

James Clark

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2019, 10:29:03 pm »

Would you care to continue the quote to "... the stupidity of the American voter?" 

Anyway, so what you are saying is, it is okay to blatantly lie to people to get your way?  Very Machiavellian of you James.

Actually, no, I don't believe that, and I don't approve of what he said.   It's not a black and white question, though, much as I'd like it to be.

James Clark

« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:13 pm »

Wow.  You support politicians lying when you agree with the result they want.  But the issue is not that politicians lie.  The issue is when the press hides it from the public because they support the results.  The press is suppose to protect us from deceitful politicians.  That's why the Constitution felt is was so important to have Freedom of the Press in the Bill of RIghts.  But that means the press has to act responsibly by letting the public know the BS on all sides.  When they fail to do that you got "fake news", biased news, and government that in the end will hurt the people.

You must absolutely loathe Fox News.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 107   Go Up