Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 118438 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #1280 on: July 13, 2019, 03:12:33 pm »

Further to the AOC - Pelosi spat:

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-agrees-to-just-sit-back-and-watch-the-left-eat-itself-alive

"Based on our projections, the left could completely implode at any moment," said one political science analyst in Detroit. "From trans rights activists sparring with gay rights activists, to racial justice advocates attacking feminists, the whole thing is just very unstable."

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #1281 on: July 13, 2019, 03:18:06 pm »

100% of them have a criminal record. They are in the country illegally.

Actually, only someone who has been convicted of a crime has a criminal record.

Being in the United States illegally in most cases subjects an alien to civil rather than criminal penalties—for example, deportation or "voluntary departure"* and a restriction on future admissibility.  (The immigration statutes prescribe various ineligibility periods, depending on the nature and seriousness of the infraction.)  One of the most common violations of the immigration law occurs when an alien stays in the United States longer than permitted by the type of visa that was used for entry.

Of course, an alien who commits a crime in the United States is subject to criminal prosecution and punishment prior to whatever immigration procedures may apply (typically deportation except in cases where a lawful permanent resident commits a minor crime).

———
*A rather deceptive term, since it really means involuntary departure.  This is where an alien who violated the terms of a visa is given a modest amount of time to make travel arrangements and leave the United States; the alien is responsible for the travel expenses.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1282 on: July 13, 2019, 04:27:29 pm »

Actually, only someone who has been convicted of a crime has a criminal record...

Of course, of course. I wasn't using the term "criminal" in its strictest, legal, and formal meaning, but in a less literal one, like "breaking the law," which everyone illegal did, whether crossing the border or overstaying the visa.

James Clark

« Reply #1283 on: July 13, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »

Of course, of course. I wasn't using the term "criminal" in its strictest, legal, and formal meaning, but in a less literal one, like "breaking the law," which everyone illegal did, whether crossing the border or overstaying the visa.

Zero tolerance for all lawbreakers!   (The jaywalkers are the worst.) Ever toss out junk mail not meant for you?  That’s five years, buddy.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:56:56 pm by James Clark »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1284 on: July 13, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »

In other words, more Fake news.

At least you admitted to spreading it.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1285 on: July 13, 2019, 04:59:01 pm »

In other words, more Fake news...

Understanding things literally, Bart, is not a sign of higher intelligence... not even of average.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1286 on: July 13, 2019, 05:02:58 pm »

... Ever toss out junk mail not meant for you?  That’s five years, buddy.

Thanks, buddy! I’ll be extra careful with junk mail in the future ;)

James Clark

« Reply #1287 on: July 13, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »

Thanks, buddy! I’ll be extra careful with junk mail in the future ;)

Please do. I’d hate to see you deported, being a hardened criminal and all. ;)  (Maybe as a now-citizen and a white guy you’re not subject to the current, er, environment, but who knows?)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1288 on: July 13, 2019, 05:40:12 pm »

Jim Fallows who I have known for some time has a very nice piece in The Atlantic today.  He's been following President Trump beginning when he won the Republican nomination.  He received a letter from a fellow reader a couple of weeks ago who posits that the President is really no different than his days as a reality television host.  He's preoccupied with his ratings above all else and a lot of the 'interesting things he does is to simply boost the ratings.  There is a considerable amount of truth to that.  Do read the piece, it's relatively short and to the point.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1289 on: July 13, 2019, 05:45:47 pm »

No comment.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1290 on: July 13, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »

Depends on what you define as a crime.  If you are only considering felonies, perhaps.  Traffic tickets are crimes, albeit minor ones.  Maybe you have never received one but I've had a couple and it's clear that if you pay it you are admitting to the commission of a crime.
Lumping Americans who get traffic tickets in with illegals who rob, rape and murder as all being criminals is just nuts.  You;re just repeating the nonsense Bart claimed with his 30% figure of Americans who are criminals.  All you;re doing is causing people to realize you're both not serious about the illegal immigration problem we have.  You're both just making up statistics why we should all just ignore this serious issue.  Talk about fake news from you two.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1291 on: July 13, 2019, 10:09:38 pm »

Jim Fallows who I have known for some time has a very nice piece in The Atlantic today.  He's been following President Trump beginning when he won the Republican nomination.  He received a letter from a fellow reader a couple of weeks ago who posits that the President is really no different than his days as a reality television host.  He's preoccupied with his ratings above all else and a lot of the 'interesting things he does is to simply boost the ratings.  There is a considerable amount of truth to that.  Do read the piece, it's relatively short and to the point.

There's also considerable truth when Trump says that without him, CNN and MSNBC would be off the air as their viewership would have evaporated.  Cable networks should count their lucky stars that Hillary lost.  Can you imagine having to listen to her cackle for four or more years?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Fi-xGZdlE

Rob C

« Reply #1292 on: July 14, 2019, 04:46:03 am »

There's also considerable truth when Trump says that without him, CNN and MSNBC would be off the air as their viewership would have evaporated.  Cable networks should count their lucky stars that Hillary lost.  Can you imagine having to listen to her cackle for four or more years?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Fi-xGZdlE

Can you imagine having to listen to Trump murder the language for another four or whatever?

At least if he'd gone to drama college and learned something about stressing words - almost any word would do in his case - in a sentence instead of stressing the good folks of this Earth of ours... and you know what: in his case, even wearing a tie fails to be a saving grace. That's some achievement!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1293 on: July 14, 2019, 07:53:36 am »

Lumping Americans who get traffic tickets in with illegals who rob, rape and murder as all being criminals is just nuts.  You;re just repeating the nonsense Bart claimed with his 30% figure of Americans who are criminals.  All you;re doing is causing people to realize you're both not serious about the illegal immigration problem we have.  You're both just making up statistics why we should all just ignore this serious issue.  Talk about fake news from you two.
It's not fake news but being careful with the English language.  There are a whole range of crimes from a definitional point of view and I was just pointing that out.  I don't want to be accused of not being serious about the immigration issue.  You really do not have any idea what my political views are as I do not believe that I have ever expressed them other than we need to have a better foreign aid policy towards the key countries of Central America.  If the United States was serious about the immigration issue it would look into the local and regional problems that are responsible for for this out migration of citizens.  The US has an established asylum process and my bottom line is that individuals coming into America must be treated humanely.

Do you really think these people enjoy making this 2000 mile trek to the US border?  this is far different than my ancestors who came over by boat in the late 1800s when immigration into the US was far easier.

Vice President Pence visited several detention sites the other day including one of the more notorious.  I don't know what message he might have transmitted to President Trump.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1294 on: July 14, 2019, 08:11:24 am »

Can you imagine having to listen to Trump murder the language for another four or whatever?

Not a pleasant thought, Rob, but a lot more tolerable than listening to and watching one of his current opponents murder not only the language, but all sorts of other things as well.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1295 on: July 14, 2019, 10:16:31 am »

... You really do not have any idea what my political views are...

;D ;D ;D

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #1297 on: July 14, 2019, 11:13:48 am »

Not a pleasant thought, Rob, but a lot more tolerable than listening to and watching one of his current opponents murder not only the language, but all sorts of other things as well.

His last one had the fatal character flaw of pointing at things. It was an unnecessary, self-inflicted wound: there was nothing to point out where she was pointing.

Maybe she was thinking of and seeing dark-haired internes everywhere? Which might explain why when she pointed she simultaneously opened her mouth wide.

;-)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:24:31 am by Rob C »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1298 on: July 14, 2019, 11:15:21 am »

Vice President Pence visited several detention sites the other day including one of the more notorious.  I don't know what message he might have transmitted to President Trump.

Things going as planned ...?

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1299 on: July 14, 2019, 11:19:19 am »

Vague. Could you narrow it down by a few hundred million opponents?

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 107   Go Up