Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX100  (Read 14983 times)

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: GFX100
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2019, 08:20:29 am »

Re: leaf shutters, flash etc. It's not about overpowering the sun (for me, usually), it's about 100% control of zero ambient in the picture. I shoot in a lot of crappy locations, with mixed lighting I can't turn off or control. But there's very little that I can't eliminate at ISO 50 or 100 at 1/800.

-Doug

Rand47

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2019, 05:18:43 pm »

I went to the Fuji “hands on” with the GFX 100 at Camera West in Rancho Mirage, CA, yesterday afternoon. Spent a couple of hours configuring and then shooting with a pre-production (but pretty close to final) unit.

I know people throw about the “game-changer” word a lot these days - but I think this camera deserves the appellation. I was shooting inside the shop at 1/10th of a second, hand held, and getting RAZOR sharp images. The idea of shooting “off hand” with a medium format camera indoors in low light is almost weird feeling. Ergos are better than my GFX 50s w/ grip. Camera is actually thinner, albeit a tiny bit wider. So close in height as to be not worth mentioning (50s w/ grip). Vertical grip has received some questioning remarks re no “rubberized” stuff on it. I wondered myself. In reality the bottom of the body does have a large patch of rubberized material, and the “paint” of the grip is more tactile than it appears in photos. To wit: the vertical grip is fine. It’s profile “in the hand” is a little different than the horizontal grip, but muscle memory will take care of that in no time at all.

Shutter release is “leaf spring” type like the Fuji X-H1, but a little less “hair-trigger” - so in my opinion about perfect. Shutter is “quiet for a medium format camera.” Sub monitor LCD is very customizable and big enough to see easily even for an old dude with glasses (that would be me). The exposure comp button can be set to “switch” mode (in addition to “press and hold”) so that one can just turn it on and have the rear sub-dial (command wheel) be permanently EC control. That’s my preference since I shoot mainly aperture priority and tweak exposure w/ EC. Lots of customizable buttons. The touch LCD display can be almost limitlessly configured to work like the D-pad buttons that are missing on this camera. Touch implementation seems better than my X-H1.

Camera does have Bluetooth, which allows the Fuji remote phone app to have a “shutter release” only function (with a lock for long exposure work). Brilliant and makes your phone a truly functional remote release. Also for wired release, they put the 2.5mm jack on the right side (facing the back of the camera). “What a concept.” LOL Every other camera I’ve owned has all the ports under a hatch on the left side where it gets trapped under the L-plate and attaching a wired remote becomes a “thread the needle” through some small hole or slot and a total PITA. No more!

I came away more anxious and excited than before. The Fuji reps there said that Fuji has “way underestimated” the initial demand for the body and that known pre-orders exceeded their expectations “by a bunch.” Said that if one isn’t near the top on someone’s pre-order list, “It might be a while until they get one.”

And it almost goes without saying but the detail captured is stunning.

That’s it...

Rand
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:22:13 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2019, 06:35:11 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

Exciting times.

Cheers,
Bernard

Endeavour

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2019, 08:17:32 pm »

I came away more anxious and excited than before. The Fuji reps there said that Fuji has “way underestimated” the initial demand for the body and that known pre-orders exceeded their expectations “by a bunch.” Said that if one isn’t near the top on someone’s pre-order list, “It might be a while until they get one.”

good old sales reps :D

Rand47

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2019, 10:16:11 pm »

Ordinarily, I’d agree.  And frankly hope what I perceive as your inference is correct. But I mentioned a trip I have planned for the first week in September that I’d like to have one to use on, and he wasn’t optimistic.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kirk_C

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2019, 12:26:16 am »

You're right. The Fuji reps are honest about their surprise at the demand. That is what you meant I'm sure.

I demoed one in L.A. and they told me they will have a hard time meeting demand for initial orders because it's a more complicated camera to assemble with much tighter QC. I believe them.

And yes, what I saw was damned impressive.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2019, 05:52:27 pm »

Ordinarily, I’d agree.  And frankly hope what I perceive as your inference is correct. But I mentioned a trip I have planned for the first week in September that I’d like to have one to use on, and he wasn’t optimistic.

Rand

I generally don't believe anything that comes out as "demand has exceeded expectations" from manufacturers. Initial deliveries from upper end products that we receive has historically been small volumes to begin and then ramps up. Every. time. But no one ever says that they are pacing the ramp up or component volumes or successful sensor yields are lower than they had hoped. It sounds much more exciting rom a sales standpoint to say that demand has outstripped supply.

We expect to receive our first shipment of GFX 100 units the first week in July (assuming Fuji holds true to their word and they begin shipping June 27). But the shipments after that, how may units they contain, and the frequency of deliveries will go a long way toward informing someone on our list when they should expect to receive theirs.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2019, 06:51:53 pm »

I generally don't believe anything that comes out as "demand has exceeded expectations" from manufacturers. Initial deliveries from upper end products that we receive has historically been small volumes to begin and then ramps up. Every. time. But no one ever says that they are pacing the ramp up or component volumes or successful sensor yields are lower than they had hoped. It sounds much more exciting rom a sales standpoint to say that demand has outstripped supply.

We expect to receive our first shipment of GFX 100 units the first week in July (assuming Fuji holds true to their word and they begin shipping June 27). But the shipments after that, how may units they contain, and the frequency of deliveries will go a long way toward informing someone on our list when they should expect to receive theirs.

Steve Hendrix/CI

The general departure of Phase One from consumer medium format has really depressed this forum's PR quotient - even our dealers are becoming realistic and down to earth.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2019, 09:39:26 am »

The general departure of Phase One from consumer medium format

Odd, if Phase One has generally departed from consumer medium format, they have neglected to tell me, the 24 other employees of Digital Transitions, or the many customers who have purchased Phase One medium format systems over the last year.

Maybe you're confusing their transition to full-frame 645 for new products as a lack of commitment to a range of products? The opposite is true, at least for us; DT has a wider range of price options that we've ever had before. Refurbished systems start under $10k with a full warranty, guaranteed condition, all new accessories, and professional dealer support. I'd have to check the sales books but, at least here in the USA, we've sold more $10-20k systems than any previous year (we've also sold more systems at the higher price points than any previous year; sales are up across the board, as is our staffing, location investment, and number of events around the country). I couldn't speak to other markets or other dealers, but DT, at least, has not "generally departed from consumer medium format".

It's true there are great options at lower price points than a Phase One system, but that's been true since day 1. Phase One provides the system with the most umph, for those that want or need it. Honestly the "Phase One sky is falling" narrative that has persisted on this forum for more than a decade is just so strange. It's like being constantly told its raining, when you're sitting next to a window with sunlight streaming in.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:43:40 am by Doug Peterson »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2019, 11:16:51 am »

The general departure of Phase One from consumer medium format has really depressed this forum's PR quotient - even our dealers are becoming realistic and down to earth.

Edmund

If you peruse my posts you'll see I've never been anything other than that, thank you.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2019, 02:46:53 pm »

1. Phase One provides the system with the most umph, for those that want or need it. Honestly the "Phase One sky is falling" narrative that has persisted on this forum for more than a decade is just so strange. It's like being constantly told its raining, when you're sitting next to a window with sunlight streaming in.

They also sell the most unfinished camera at such a high price and the firmware updates have been a little embarrassing as well... I’m just glad I have an IQ3 as well....
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2019, 04:00:19 pm »

They also sell the most unfinished camera at such a high price and the firmware updates have been a little embarrassing as well... I’m just glad I have an IQ3 as well....

You'll get no disagreement from me on that; Phase One owes its IQ4 users a major feature update. You can only issue so many minor updates that start with "this isn't a big update, just some low-hanging fruit we could address while working on the bigger stuff" before people rightfully start to be very frustrated.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2019, 04:52:45 pm »

Thanks for that! I also get that it was a big change from the IQ3 platform, but it also has been over 6 months now and so much stuff is still missing or not really finished... I mean why the **** isn’t there ad hock WiFi connection?!?

What I must disapprove is Phase Ones YouTube Channel promising to a of stuff raving how robust, perfect the new hardware is and how powerful everything is, (did I mention robust before...), how important the communication to the customer is with future features and stuff like beta tools....

So far this has been the biggest BS in a long time I can remember.... so far there is no openness or communication at all from Phase One. (Im not talking about dealers, who have to take the heat.)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2019, 05:07:59 pm »

If you peruse my posts you'll see I've never been anything other than that, thank you.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Indeed. But I do so like Chocolate Soufflé and marketing puffery :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2019, 11:29:04 am »

I could have been around for a while but I just noticed that the manual for the GFX-100 is on-line now.  Useful to peruse to look at functionality.  For example there is no crop mode (eg to allow 1:1, 3:2, 16:9, 35mmFF etc), but lots of other good stuff.
http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/gfx100/gfx100_omw_en_s_f.pdf

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2019, 02:02:04 pm »

Looks like I didn't search well enough.  Lots of crop modes on page 104.  No 60mp 3:2 though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up