Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX100  (Read 14980 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
GFX100
« on: May 23, 2019, 07:24:38 pm »

My view is that this camera more than deserves its own thread!

I am a bit surprised by the lack of excitement generated by the new Fuji in this very forum.

To me its abilities are such that it is probably the most significant "MF" release ever (I still have doubts about calling this sensor size MF, but that is beside the point).

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

Re: GFX100
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:28:05 pm »

I am a bit surprised by the lack of excitement generated by the new Fuji in this very forum.

To me its abilities are such that it is probably the most significant "MF" release ever (I still have doubts about calling this sensor size MF, but that is beside the point).
Phase One refers to Fuji's 44x33 format as "crop sensor medium format" and to its 54x40 format as "full frame medium format", even though it is not even 6x4.5.

gkroeger

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:12:11 pm »

If you watch the Fuji release event, they want to call it large format. Regardless of what it is called, it is a significant release but too rich for my blood.

Kirk_C

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:24:37 pm »

Could that be because nobody has one yet ?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:40:16 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

The ad at the top of my page is for a Phase One IQ4.

This forum is populated by the Phased in and the Phased out, and hasn't yet really accepted a third phase :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

billthecat

Noise GFX100
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:09:26 pm »

One of their samples at ISO 400 seems to have more noise than expected in the shade. https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/GFX-100-7033/highres/ff_gfx100_003_1558606827.jpg

Here's a 100% crop.

Is it just the sensor technology?

Bill

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 10:18:48 pm »

On order. Will be reporting test results.

jim

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:11 pm »

On order. Will be reporting test results.

Thank you Jim, I am a fan of your work and I was hoping you'd focus some of your attention on it following your very interesting posts about the GFX earlier bodies and lenses! :)

Cheers,
Bernard

hubell

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 11:34:10 pm »

Could that be because nobody has one yet ?

More likely it's that virtually every aspect of it has been leaked/previewed/preannounced by Fuji, so it really feels that the camera has been out for about 9 months. I also think the combination of the price point at $10k and the sheer size/weight of the camera body moves it out of the reach of the prosumers who were able to stretch, financially and physically, for the GFX 50S and R.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 03:40:10 am »

It's a monster. An ugly monster. A really ugly monster, and I mean a really, REALLY, ugly monster.

But, I would totally purchase it. (If I had the need and the cash, neither of which applies.)

It's a game changer. This is where all recent mirrorless technologies converge into a pro package. IBIS, PDAF, eye-AF, video. It makes me wonder how much this will eat into Canon sales. I'm sure there have been a lot of professionals with depreciation burning in their pockets, waiting for an actual professional release from Canon, and then this comes along.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

StoryinPictures

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 04:08:57 am »

$10,000 isn't cheap, true.

The Pentax 50MP camera came out at, what, $8,500, 5 years ago? 

And the other 100mp camera costs what, $30,000?

Buying a large format camera and paying for film and processing for two years cost how much?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 04:46:13 am »

It's a game changer. This is where all recent mirrorless technologies converge into a pro package. IBIS, PDAF, eye-AF, video. It makes me wonder how much this will eat into Canon sales. I'm sure there have been a lot of professionals with depreciation burning in their pockets, waiting for an actual professional release from Canon, and then this comes along.

Frankly, I believe that Sony (and Nikon to a certain extend) have been hurting Canon a lot more on the higher end segment these past 5 years than Fuji ever will. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:49:34 am by BernardLanguillier »

gebseng

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 05:00:43 am »

If only there were distortion free 32mm and 24mm shift lenses for the GFX, I would be in architectural and landscape photographers heaven...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 05:15:35 am »

If only there were distortion free 32mm and 24mm shift lenses for the GFX, I would be in architectural and landscape photographers heaven...

There are very persistent rumors claiming that T/S lenses are coming.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 06:43:27 am »

There are very persistent rumors claiming that T/S lenses are coming.

Cheers,
Bernard

Local sales rep yesterday claimed three TS lenses on the way.

I’m not even slightly tempted. I am having a really good year work wise but 50% of my work never makes it to print and what does get to print can be handled by much smaller files sizes. I can’t buy anything unless it will make me money and this is not going to happen with this new camera, as wonderful as I’m sure it will be.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:56 am »

I think it can be an awesome camera- one i would buy if my assignments would make it a necessity.

But for the moment my assignments need f1.4 lenses.
Also the camera is too slow for part of my work that is very diverse. Then lens choice is not as wide- FF gets spoiled with choice.
I need, as always, the swiss army knive of camera's; the ff 35mm camera that does everything. Better now than ever before and even better when stitched.
As Martin experiences- camera's are getting better, but the commercial output is for a large part on the internet.
It is a very good thing if TS lenses will come to the GFX system. Tilt and focusstacking are the main ways to deal with 100MP in a good way.
Shift will give the camera a unique position for high grade architecture and still life photography.
I do not expect these TS lenses to be cheaper than 4000€ if they are as good as they should be.
It would make sense to release 5.6 versions to keep the price down while the image quality remains high.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 07:34:46 am »

I think it can be an awesome camera- one i would buy if my assignments would make it a necessity.

But for the moment my assignments need f1.4 lenses.
Also the camera is too slow for part of my work that is very diverse. Then lens choice is not as wide- FF gets spoiled with choice.
I need, as always, the swiss army knive of camera's; the ff 35mm camera that does everything. Better now than ever before and even better when stitched.
As Martin experiences- camera's are getting better, but the commercial output is for a large part on the internet.
It is a very good thing if TS lenses will come to the GFX system. Tilt and focusstacking are the main ways to deal with 100MP in a good way.
Shift will give the camera a unique position for high grade architecture and still life photography.
I do not expect these TS lenses to be cheaper than 4000€ if they are as good as they should be.
It would make sense to release 5.6 versions to keep the price down while the image quality remains high.

Out of interest I was given prices of $2800, $3200 and $3400 if I remember correctly.

By the way I agree with your point about the Swiss Army knife need these days. I have cameras with memories set for action, video and studio. Then buttons set for all sorts of stuff. A bit complex really. My assignments don’t need the new Fuji, be nice if they did. I’m not about to buy one in the hope of picking up such work either. You don’t get the work because you have the tools these days.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37:33 am »

For those that actually need it and have a daily use for a camera like this, it seems almost like a bargain compared to the alternatives on the market.  I for one never imagined that 100mp would be handholdable outside of fast strobes. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 08:49:32 am »

Out of interest I was given prices of $2800, $3200 and $3400 if I remember correctly.

Hi Martin, that's very specific. Did they have any more more information on launch or announcement dates and focal lengths?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 09:09:18 am »

Out of interest I was given prices of $2800, $3200 and $3400 if I remember correctly. ...
I am also interested in the focal lenghts; prices seem to cheap to be good.
I read the 23mm lens is not that good and costs about 2000€
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up