Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX100  (Read 14982 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: GFX100
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 09:10:35 am »

Hi Martin, that's very specific. Did they have any more more information on launch or announcement dates and focal lengths?

To be honest I didn’t ask. I keep a half eye on what’s going on and this camera sounds fantastic but not of interest to me directly so I didn’t dig for details. I am also not certain as to the accuracy of this information.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 09:14:55 am »

To be honest I didn’t ask. I keep a half eye on what’s going on and this camera sounds fantastic but not of interest to me directly so I didn’t dig for details. I am also not certain as to the accuracy of this information.

Please go back and dig!

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 11:15:09 am »

I am also interested in the focal lenghts; prices seem to cheap to be good.
I read the 23mm lens is not that good and costs about 2000€

Are you talking about the Fuji 23/4? I have that lens and think it is excellent.

hubell

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 12:56:47 pm »

I gather he has been reading Diglloyd's evaluation of the GFX 23mm lens: https://diglloyd.com/. Some people swear by him. Others swear at him.

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 01:38:23 pm »

Are you talking about the Fuji 23/4? I have that lens and think it is excellent.

Agree the 23/4 is really excellent. 

Kirk_C

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 01:45:03 pm »

I read the 23mm lens is not that good and costs about 2000€

Be careful who you listen to / read and believe. I've used the 23 and it's outstanding !

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 01:49:20 pm »

I agree - have not tested it extensively yet, but quick looks seemed very impressive.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 01:49:49 pm »

Be careful who you listen to / read and believe. I've used the 23 and it's outstanding !
Agree the 23/4 is really excellent.
OK then it seems a mistake;  Indeed i saw Lloyds Chambers photos with it. Even at F8 Really bad at the sides at infinity...
Maybe he had a bad copy; good to hear it is excellent...
On some other fora i read that Fuji has a problem with constant quality...
Only Lensrentals has the luxury of testing 10 copies of a lens...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »

OK then it seems a mistake;  Indeed i saw Lloyds Chambers photos with it. Even at F8 Really bad at the sides at infinity...
Maybe he had a bad copy; good to hear it is excellent...
On some other fora i read that Fuji has a problem with constant quality...
Only Lensrentals has the luxury of testing 10 copies of a lens...

We do some lens testing on certain lenses before shipping to clients, but we cannot do this for all lenses.

If anyone purchases a Fuji G lens from Capture Integration, we recommend first testing it for performance. In the event it does not seem like a top copy, we'll swap it. There are some companies (BH, etc.) who have liberal return policies, but you still need to be able to determine that the one you swapped out for is a good copy, and we can help you assess that, with raw file review etc, to the reference lenses we have on hand.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Dan Wells

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 02:06:21 pm »

The GFX 100 offers capabilities that no camera has offered before, by bringing the most current sensor and stabilization technology to a larger size... Roughly speaking, it should have around twice the image detail of a modern 24x36 mm pixel monster, 2/3 that of a Phase One IQ4 150, and four times that of the best APS-C cameras. Other than the Phase (which lacks any form of image stabilization), they all offer closely related focus and stabilization capabilities.Due to the stabilization, the Fuji is handholdable under many circumstances - it's also weather sealed, which the Phase is not.

Everything from the best of APS-C to the IQ4 150 now uses similar sensors, just cut to different sizes. The GFX and the Phase also offer 16-bit readout, which should make a slight difference in dynamic range now (and it will become more important with future sensors). Except for the Phase, which is disproportionately bulkier, more difficult to use, and more expensive (5x the price of the GFX for 1.5x the sensor), there is now a somewhat reasonable relationship where you pay more, accept more weight and get a bigger version of a similar sensor.

The question it all raises is "how do we display these images"? Even a great APS-C camera can make an image indistinguishable from the GFX in nearly any internet application. The 24x36 mm pixel monsters can fill even an 8k display (the Nikons and the S1r can for both definitions of 8k, while the Sonys do as well for the usual definition, but not the cinema version), and make 24x36" prints and above. The display format for the GFX seems to me to be 40x60" prints viewed up close. How common are opportunities to display such prints? They exist, and the GFX 100 offers by far the most versatile way yet of capturing the images needed, which had previously been the province of $50,000 digital backs and large format (even beyond 4x5") film.

DChris

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 02:20:28 pm »

I think the Fujifilm GFX100 will be the most exciting camera of 2019.

I am not in the market for it just yet...but it's capabilities for both stills and video looks to be a game changer for those of us who like both stills and video. I use to shoot Canon and became so completely frustrated at Canon's corporate culture of dripping out improvements (ie Magic Lantern's firmware to do video on Canon bodies) that I finally left Canon. Fujifilm is the complete opposite of Canon.

I would love Fujifilm to make the X-H2 a mini GFX100.

PDAF is just fantastic. If I was Phase One...I would be looking to put the 150MP sensor into a GFX100 type body...and a new set of lenses, I don't know if the 150MP Sony sensor even has PDAF points.

I wish Fujifilm the best with this new camera.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 02:33:23 pm »

The GFX 100 offers capabilities that no camera has offered before, by bringing the most current sensor and stabilization technology to a larger size... Roughly speaking, it should have around twice the image detail of a modern 24x36 mm pixel monster, 2/3 that of a Phase One IQ4 150, and four times that of the best APS-C cameras. Other than the Phase (which lacks any form of image stabilization), they all offer closely related focus and stabilization capabilities.Due to the stabilization, the Fuji is handholdable under many circumstances - it's also weather sealed, which the Phase is not.

Everything from the best of APS-C to the IQ4 150 now uses similar sensors, just cut to different sizes. The GFX and the Phase also offer 16-bit readout, which should make a slight difference in dynamic range now (and it will become more important with future sensors). Except for the Phase, which is disproportionately bulkier, more difficult to use, and more expensive (5x the price of the GFX for 1.5x the sensor), there is now a somewhat reasonable relationship where you pay more, accept more weight and get a bigger version of a similar sensor.

The question it all raises is "how do we display these images"? Even a great APS-C camera can make an image indistinguishable from the GFX in nearly any internet application. The 24x36 mm pixel monsters can fill even an 8k display (the Nikons and the S1r can for both definitions of 8k, while the Sonys do as well for the usual definition, but not the cinema version), and make 24x36" prints and above. The display format for the GFX seems to me to be 40x60" prints viewed up close. How common are opportunities to display such prints? They exist, and the GFX 100 offers by far the most versatile way yet of capturing the images needed, which had previously been the province of $50,000 digital backs and large format (even beyond 4x5") film.

I'm excited by the GFX 100S, but for the sake of accuracy, the Phase One 100mp solution is about twice the price of the GFX 100S, not 5 X.

Steve Hendrix/CI

faberryman

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 03:48:15 pm »

I'm excited by the GFX 100S, but for the sake of accuracy, the Phase One 100mp solution is about twice the price of the GFX 100S, not 5 X.
So the XF with IQ3100 is $20K new and the XF with IQ4150 is $50K new? I''ve never seen a Phase One price list.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 04:07:28 pm »

So the XF with IQ3100 is $20K new and the XF with IQ4150 is $50K new? I''ve never seen a Phase One price list.

Yeah, actually a bit more than 2x, depending on lenses.

Last month, Phase One ran a promotion with IQ3 100 for $17,990. If you add an XF camera, you'd be in the $22k or so range.

IQ4 150 yes, it's still in that 5x range, but it is not apples to apples when it comes to the sensor comparison.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vjbelle

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 05:30:10 pm »

IQ4 150 yes, it's still in that 5x range, but it is not apples to apples when it comes to the sensor comparison.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Yes...... but 'ONLY' for resolution.  The 4150 adds 50mp and that is it's only advantage.... and somewhat minor in the long run and never worth the price of admission.  Doesn't matter in the long run as this landscape is changing rapidly and the holy grails may be left behind......

Cheers.......

Victor

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 05:51:56 pm »

Yes...... but 'ONLY' for resolution.  The 4150 adds 50mp and that is it's only advantage.... and somewhat minor in the long run and never worth the price of admission.  Doesn't matter in the long run as this landscape is changing rapidly and the holy grails may be left behind......

Cheers.......

Victor

In stating that there are sensor differences relative to Fuji GFX 100S (which we also sell), yes, the IQ4 150 has 50 more megapixels, but the sensor is also significantly larger. Some people don't care about that, others do. I'm not debating merits, only clarifying differences and providing accuracy with regard to pricing.

And my main point was regarding the comment about Phase One being 4-5 x the price, which for 100mp, at one time was true, but no longer.

Steve Hendrix/CI

DP

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 08:00:44 pm »

The 4150 adds 50mp and that is it's only advantage....
by that logic - Fuji only adds a little over 50mp vs FF cameras  ;D

Ray

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 10:36:54 pm »

by that logic - Fuji only adds a little over 50mp vs FF cameras  ;D

It's the percentage increase that counts. The GFX100 has approximately double the pixel count of the latest FF 35mm DSLRs, or 100% increase. Phase One's 150 mp IQ4 has only a 50% increase in pixel count, compared to the GFX100.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 09:58:15 am »

Please go back and dig!

I dug and was told a 24mm first followed by a 80mm and a 105. Doesn’t sound right to me.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

hogloff

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 10:26:53 am »

It's the percentage increase that counts. The GFX100 has approximately double the pixel count of the latest FF 35mm DSLRs, or 100% increase. Phase One's 150 mp IQ4 has only a 50% increase in pixel count, compared to the GFX100.

Let's not forget the Phase One sensor is also larger than the GFX sensor. After all, we know a 24mpix APS-C sensor does not produce the same results as a 24mpix full frame sensor. The number of pixels is only one attribute of a sensor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up