Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe LR/PS bundle prices - V 2.0  (Read 7818 times)

jrp

Re: Adobe LR/PS bundle prices - V 2.0
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 05:46:05 pm »

No, they did not say the subscription cost would stay the same forever. In fact they didn't even use the word "indefinitely" in that context.
Equivocation.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 10:42:04 pm »

Equivocation.

Indeed !

Really, some of the "answers" we're getting are so full of it, it boggles the mind (of real people).

People are about to get screwed real time (close to doubling the price), again!
What is it that inhibits their true sentiments about it, other than embarrassment?
Any psychiatrists around?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hogloff

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:58 am »

Indeed !

Really, some of the "answers" we're getting are so full of it, it boggles the mind (of real people).

What is it that inhibits their true sentiments about it, other than embarrassment?

Cheers,
Bart

Really Bart...we are about to get screwed AGAIN...huh. Funny I just keep paying the same amount I did when I first subscribed. Like I said, if you feel you are getting screwed...why not just move over to some other product that is not out to screw you. Why all this angst from you...just drop it and move on.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2019, 03:13:21 am »

Equivocation.

Wishful thinking or gullibility?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:16:59 am by john beardsworth »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 03:14:10 am »

I don't remember them saying that, and wouldn't have believed them if they had. Seriously.

Exactly.

What they actually said was that the perpetual licence would be available "indefinitely". They carefully avoided the word "forever" - they're not so stupid, and don't think their customers are.

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 07:16:20 am »

While I personally prefer the $9.99 Plan with 20 GB storage, there are a number of photographers that do't use PS at all.  The $9.99 LR + 1 TB Cloud plan has some merit for that group.  Why pay for PS if you don't use it?  For many photographers, migrating to Adobe cloud for 1 TB storage would be more effective than their current plan.
Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 07:31:40 am »

there are a number of photographers that do't use PS at all.  The $9.99 LR + 1 TB Cloud plan has some merit for that group.  Why pay for PS if you don't use it? 

I would say because many photographers prefer LR Classic, keeping the images locally. The LR + 1 TB Cloud plan is LR CC only

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:24 am »

Indeed !

Cheers,
Bart
Rubbish! No one is getting screwed and no on is forcing anyone to do anything. Enough FUD please.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 11:23:58 am »

Rubbish! No one is getting screwed and no on is forcing anyone to do anything. Enough FUD please.

Unfortunately, blaming disgruntled subscribers for creating FUD is placing blame on the wrong source. It was actually Adobe's astute marketing team that has created the atmosphere and a massive amount of misinformation. Had Adobe chosen a different, more logical 'test' that enhanced the benefits and attributes of the 1TB plan with out obscuring the 20GB plan ... all these misunderstandings could have been easily avoided. Any resulting damage has been self-inflicted.

Here is one of the top stories on Flipboard  this morning ...

"After That Adobe Price Increase, I’m So Happy I Switched to Capture One"

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/05/05/after-that-adobe-price-increase-im-so-happy-i-switched-to-capture-one/

There are dozens more stories like this one out there, some on very reputible tech sites. The problem isn't a single forum comment that is creating the fear, uncertainty and doubt ... the source is much closer to home.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2019, 11:55:54 am »

No one is getting screwed

In fact, photographers still receive favored treatment.  Here in the States, the Lightroom + Photoshop + 20GB remote storage "Photography Plan" comes to ~ $120/year, while any other single application in the Adobe suite is $252/year (which includes 100GB of storage).  The entire "Creative Suite" of all the Adobe apps costs $636/year (again with 100GB), which is a reasonable price if you use at least two other applications in addition to LR and PS.  I assume a similar approach is reflected in the prices offered in other countries.

That strikes me as a rational pricing strategy, and a rather fair one, especially given the concessionary price for photographers who only want access to LR and PS.  Whether it's worth the money compared to alternative products is obviously a decision every potential customer needs to make.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:59:25 am by Chris Kern »

faberryman

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2019, 12:29:18 pm »

When did they get screwed the first time? You pays your money and takes your choice.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2019, 01:03:57 pm »

When did they get screwed the first time?

Depends on who purchased what, and when.

In my case, I was told by Adobe that, in order to be eligible for an upgrade to the then announced Photoshop CS7, I had to first upgrade to CS6 because it would no longer be possible to skip a version (and only upgrade every other version if the new features were good enough to improve my workflow), so once in 3 years on average. Of course CS7 never happened.

My Lightroom perpetual license (I had been using LR since version 1.0 and upgraded every 18 months, or skipped a version) got more expensive if I adopted an annual subscription, and the perpetual license version ceased being offered.

Time and training to master these applications were rendered rather useless and I therefore also stopped developing several planned Plugins.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

I did, and spent my money on other/better alternatives, and have never regretted it.

I am a bit puzzled why people still tolerate being used as a paying beta tester for Adobe, but hey we make our own choices. And if that means probably having to pay double the price for a new subscription, be my guest. Not me.

Cheers,
Bart

faberryman

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 01:09:41 pm »

Time and training to master these applications were rendered rather useless...
This is the hidden cost of switching applications. Even if the LR/PS bundle doubles to $20/month, does it make it sense to spend the time to learn and master comparable applications. It largely depends on how you value your time.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 01:37:48 pm »

This is the hidden cost of switching applications. Even if the LR/PS bundle doubles to $20/month, does it make it sense to spend the time to learn and master comparable applications.

Well, that's a bit like playing roulette and doubling your bet each time you lose. It won't work in the end.
There comes a time to make a choice, and quit playing someone else's game.

It largely depends on how you value your time.

Sure, but I'd rather invest my time in something with the potential for improvement, and at lower cost.

Cheers,
Bart

faberryman

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 02:01:58 pm »

A lot of angst over $10/month.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 02:05:12 pm »

A lot of angst over $10/month.

$120/year forever (or $240).

faberryman

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 02:07:07 pm »

$120/year forever (or $240).
It may come as a shock to you, but I can do the math. Except the forever part. I am long past the stage when I thought I was immortal.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:26:11 pm by faberryman »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2019, 04:08:31 pm »

It's simple, Value = Benefits - Cost.
If the Adobe subscription value is not positive for you or you don't like their value proposition, look elsewhere. I find some of the thread's posts against the Adobe model are saying "If you subscribe to Adobe you are stupid". Please, don't try to justify your decision to go elsewhere as the "Smart move"

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2019, 04:40:54 pm »

It's simple, Value = Benefits - Cost.
If the Adobe subscription value is not positive for you or you don't like their value proposition, look elsewhere. I find some of the thread's posts against the Adobe model are saying "If you subscribe to Adobe you are stupid". Please, don't try to justify your decision to go elsewhere as the "Smart move"
This is also where I come down on.  I've not seen any standalone software package that does what LR does.  Perhaps a combination of things will give marginally better results but at both a learning and convenience cost.  I do have Affinity Photo and find it a capable substitute for Photoshop but I don't use either all that much.  LR print module is very good and the development workflow makes sense to me.  I think some of Adobe's moves are stupid but that's the result of the marketing department and not the software engineers.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »

This is also where I come down on.  I've not seen any standalone software package that does what LR does.  Perhaps a combination of things will give marginally better results but at both a learning and convenience cost.  I do have Affinity Photo and find it a capable substitute for Photoshop but I don't use either all that much.  LR print module is very good and the development workflow makes sense to me.

Agreed. With Photoshop you have the "headroom" that none of the competitors can approach. With Lightroom you have an unrivalled balance between cataloguing, adjustment, and output possibilities.

As well as Lightroom and Photoshop, factor in the mobile workflow and the web tools (Portfolio, Slate, LR Web) that you get with the subscription. Adobe don't push these enough, but see this post https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=130146.0 for a practical example and two subscribers who've been able to eliminate other costs.

I think some of Adobe's moves are stupid but that's the result of the marketing department and not the software engineers.

I'm putting it down to their much-vaunted artificial intelligence learning to match human fallibility.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:52:54 pm by john beardsworth »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up