Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50r  (Read 10229 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Fuji GFX 50r
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 04:43:50 am »

For all GFX owners, this post by Jim about focus shift is super useful: https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/dealing-with-focus-shift-with-native-lenses-on-the-fuji-gfx/

Cheers,
Bernard

narikin

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 11:34:58 am »

One major value of the Fuji 100mp will be its support by C1 Pro.
Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, just be aware that Phase One will not allow the Fuji GFX-100 to have color that competes with their own IQ series back's color.
Capture One's profiles for other cameras are pretty good - on a scale of 10, they are an 8 or 9.
But... Phase One's own back profiles are an 11 !

They are not silly, they want to be sure their products come out top in any comparison of tonality/color. And they do. Some of this is the hardware, but most of it is Capture One profile quality.

My hope is that some color guru will make a supremely good custom camera profile for GFX-100 in C1, so you can overcome this handicap.

Dan Wells

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 11:30:19 am »

I wonder how much of that is Phase One individually tuning hardware in each back? They certainly used to, but it's gotten harder because the new Sony sensors have on-chip analog to digital conversion - Phase One no longer gets to work with the analog signal at all. They could still do some individual color profiling and embed it in the back's firmware (or something similar)... That would be impossible to do in any extensive way on a consumer-priced camera, it would be possible in an automated way on a $10,000 Fuji, but there's room on a $50,000 Phase for a technician to take a day or two to individually adjust each back.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2019, 05:16:52 pm »

Yes, just be aware that Phase One will not allow the Fuji GFX-100 to have color that competes with their own IQ series back's color.
Capture One's profiles for other cameras are pretty good - on a scale of 10, they are an 8 or 9.
But... Phase One's own back profiles are an 11 !

They are not silly, they want to be sure their products come out top in any comparison of tonality/color. And they do. Some of this is the hardware, but most of it is Capture One profile quality.

My hope is that some color guru will make a supremely good custom camera profile for GFX-100 in C1, so you can overcome this handicap.

You are possibly right.

Now, it remains unclear to me what P1 is getting out of this deal with Fuji and this leads me to think that there are things that are not public. These things may result in P1 having to do their best on the GFX100 files.

Besides, many seem to be of the opinion that Fuji’s color science is the best there is, so the color filter on the sensor may be as good or better than P1’s on the IQ4.

This means that the files may have the best color info, if P1 doesn’t then someone will create outstanding C1 profiles for the GFX100. It will have enough of a cult following for that to happen and be an interesting business endeavour.

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 06:58:17 pm »

Now, it remains unclear to me what P1 is getting out of this deal with Fuji and this leads me to think that there are things that are not public.

Money. Converts from Lightroom et al.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2019, 09:31:56 pm »

Now, it remains unclear to me what P1 is getting out of this deal with Fuji and this leads me to think that there are things that are not public. These things may result in P1 having to do their best on the GFX100 files.

I find it a notable coincidence that Phase hasn't brought a 100MP 33x44 back to market, when Fuji is now on C1 and coming out with the 100MP.  They (Phase) clearly have access to the chip as it's in an aerial product. Maybe it's still early, who knows? 

Joe Towner

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2019, 11:45:20 pm »

I find it a notable coincidence that Phase hasn't brought a 100MP 33x44 back to market, when Fuji is now on C1 and coming out with the 100MP.  They (Phase) clearly have access to the chip as it's in an aerial product. Maybe it's still early, who knows?

It's been noted a few times here that Phase is all in on FF 645 & their 100mp 33x44 product is an industrial product (iX series).
t: @PNWMF

Dan Wells

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2019, 01:11:06 am »

They've publicly stated that they are no longer interested in 33x44mm backs. I'm not sure this completely rules out a 33x44mm camera to compete with Fuji (probably mirrorless), but their high-end modular backs will be all 645 (really 645ish - even those big chips aren't quite 645) from now on.

What I think is more likely than a 33x44mm mirrorless camera from Phase is a 645ish mirrorless camera. They (or Hasselblad) could come out with something above the GFX100, using the big 150MP chip, but less expensive than the backs.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2019, 01:43:43 am »

They've publicly stated that they are no longer interested in 33x44mm backs. I'm not sure this completely rules out a 33x44mm camera to compete with Fuji (probably mirrorless), but their high-end modular backs will be all 645 (really 645ish - even those big chips aren't quite 645) from now on.

What I think is more likely than a 33x44mm mirrorless camera from Phase is a 645ish mirrorless camera. They (or Hasselblad) could come out with something above the GFX100, using the big 150MP chip, but less expensive than the backs.

For a P1 mirrorless system based on 33x44mm sensors to be competitive with Fuji and Hasselblad X1, they would have to release a full line up of new lenses... I am not sure what value they would be able to deliver to motive users to adopt such a new platform at P1 prices considering how good and mature the existing 2 offers are (Fuji and Hassy), not to mention the tremendous progress made by Sony, Nikon and Pana on 35mm mirrorless.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2019, 12:29:58 pm »

Besides, many seem to be of the opinion that Fuji’s color science is the best there is, so the color filter on the sensor may be as good or better than P1’s on the IQ4.

Not sure that they sell *all* their dyes, but Fuji is in the business of selling dyes for CFAs.

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/semiconductor_materials/image-sensor-color-mosaic/index.html

Jim

narikin

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:23 pm »

You are possibly right.

I'm positive I am. Done tests...

Not saying they mess with the profiles for other cameras, just that they go above and beyond for their system, but not others.

As you say, I hope a color guru releases a custom C1 camera profile for GFX-100. Would happily pay for it

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2019, 09:37:02 pm »

I'm positive I am. Done tests...

Not saying they mess with the profiles for other cameras, just that they go above and beyond for their system, but not others.

As you say, I hope a color guru releases a custom C1 camera profile for GFX-100. Would happily pay for it

Now, it used to be the case that applying P1 IQ250 profiles to Nikon cameras worked great...

I wouldn't be surprised if applying IQ4 150 profiles to the GFX100 were an option.

Cheers,
Bernard

Dan Wells

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2019, 11:39:45 pm »

Interesting idea - the sensors are closely related (not sure about the CFAs)...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2019, 12:12:38 am »

Interesting idea - the sensors are closely related (not sure about the CFAs)...

Indeed, color filtering is likely to be different.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 04:40:59 am »

All the rumors were true.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 07:41:14 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

They weren't rumors they were leaks.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2019, 09:06:04 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Holy smokes, what a beast!

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2019, 09:30:30 am »

They weren't rumors they were leaks.

I thought we all knew these are synonyms.

Cheers,
Bernard

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44:58 am »

I thought we all knew these are synonyms.

Cheers,
Bernard

All the leaks were true!  ;)

Steve hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2019, 01:35:36 pm »

Local Rep has said Fuji are going to announce there TS lenses for this camera. Expected price around $3000 a lens. Sound like good kit.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up