Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50r  (Read 10228 times)

Endeavour

Fuji GFX 50r
« on: April 26, 2019, 06:12:35 pm »

I'm thinking of going for a GFX 50r

I am 100% only interested in landscape photography. (I have other systems for other types of work)
I will also be printing large (24"+)

I've seen (what I think) is a really good deal for body + 45mm GF lens locally at a store I trust so just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the camera before I take the plunge?

Truth be told, I really wanted one of those shiny X1D things, but the price of the body and lenses, together with the unknown status of the line (discontinued?) has put me off

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Fuji GFX 50r
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:06:42 am »

I am 100% only interested in landscape photography. (I have other systems for other types of work)

I've seen (what I think) is a really good deal for body + 45mm GF lens locally at a store I trust so just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the camera before I take the plunge?

Truth be told, I really wanted one of those shiny X1D things, but the price of the body and lenses, together with the unknown status of the line (discontinued?) has put me off

The 50R has a different form factor which you might prefer. Other than that nobody has complained about the Fujis, ever, in this forum.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 03:05:35 am »

For landscapes I would prefer the GFX50s - because of the angle viewfinder. I do not want to give up the angle viewfinder and find myself missing it on other cameras.

Greeting Gerd

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:13:16 am »

Then your dilemma is solved.  Get a 50s...... You won't be disappointed. 

Victor

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 07:38:17 am »

the 50r with a 45mm lens bundle is $6,724.00 cad ($4990 US)
the 50s on it's own is $6999 ($5200 US)

the 45mm lens on its own is $2129 ($1580 US)

So with the same lens, the 50s is $9128 ($6774 US)

Is the viewfinder really worth almost $1800 US more?

if I ignore the 45mm lens and go for a GF 23mm which might be more suited to landscapes, then the price gap closes a bit to $965 US:

23mm = $3249 ($2411 US)
50r with 23mm = $8948 ($6641 US)
50s with 23mm = $10,248 ($7606 US)

but obviously the overall price has gone up

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 01:11:50 pm »

My only experience with the GFX cameras is a weekend rental but I just loved using it in the landscape and loved the images. I did have the angle finder and really did like it. In the landscape, I think it almost essential, albeit expensive. But..., just to throw a wrench into the works, before you take the plunge, look at some of the articles which carefully compare image quality of the GFX-and X1D medium format cameras with the high MP full frame 35mm size cameras. I did that and ended up with a Sony A7R3 though the Nikon D850 also tempted me, and were it now, the Nikon Z7 and Panasonic S1R. Read what Lloyd Chambers, (diglloyd.com) has to say about the S1R. What pushed me toward the "standard" 35mm was a combination of versatility and weight. Price was also a factor. I was able to get some of Sony's finest lenses, with a wider spread of focal length at a weight and price that was considerably less than the Fuji. The fact that there's even an argument that there's a difference between the high MP full frame cameras and the medium format ones makes me wonder whether the considerable extra cost and weight are worth it. Your needs may be different than mine and as someone else said, there's not much real criticism of the Fuji medium format offerings here or anywhere else. Also, the 100MP version should be out at the end of May. This may drop the prices of the "mere" 50MP cameras. Years ago I had multiple systems, 4x5 for "serious" landscape, 6x6 for more portablility yet high quality, and 35mm film, later digital, for events and family. Now, with the A7R3, I can pretty much have it all with a single body and a single set of superb lenses. This works for me, I hope you can find what works best for you. I have friends who use a huge variety of gear, from 35mm film through 12x20 film and every digital variation conceivable, they're happy with their choices, I hope you'll be happy with yours.

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:27:10 pm »

I'd check for a used 50s also - no need to purchase new.  What are you shooting now, and have you tried stitching with your current gear?

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Endeavour

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »

Hi Joe
I have no problem buying new. But used 50s/r are pretty hard to find

There was a great setup for sale on getdpi. but the chap wouldnt sell to Canada - so it's slim pickings at the moment. But I am keeping an eye on the classifieds and ebay etc

Right now I am shooting 4x5 film and a Phase One P30+ on Hasselblad H

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 08:55:33 pm »

Hi Joe
I have no problem buying new. But used 50s/r are pretty hard to find

Put a WTB ad in the For Sale forum here!
There's also the Fuji page on Facebook - I'd be surprised if a bunch of these don't come on the market in June when the GFX 100 gets released.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Endeavour

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 06:23:01 am »

yeah I was wondering what might happen when the 100 is out

The other alternative is to upgrade my P30+ to a P65+

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 12:46:48 pm »

I am sure that the Fuji is an excellent camera.
I have the Hasselblad X1D and love it though.
Buy the camera that you want. There are always deals.
Buy cheap buy thrice.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 08:25:28 am »

decided against the GFX (or X1D) for now

I've managed to get myself a nice P65+ for my Hasselblad, so I can keep my existing workflow, lenses and body etc

I may revisit the idea of a mirrorless for my landscape work, but I am hoping I will be happy with my p65+ for some time to come

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 12:24:42 pm »

decided against the GFX (or X1D) for now

I've managed to get myself a nice P65+ for my Hasselblad, so I can keep my existing workflow, lenses and body etc

I may revisit the idea of a mirrorless for my landscape work, but I am hoping I will be happy with my p65+ for some time to come

The P65+ is a great tribute to how long an investment in a Phase One system will pay dividends. Those who bought it upon release (2008) can still, 11 years later, find they have a system that has a larger sensor, higher resolution, better color than the cutting edge of smaller-format platforms, along with great tonality and rock-solid reliability and bullet-proof tethering.

Of course this legacy system lacks field live view, iso range (max 3200, and even that only at the reduced resolution), max one minute long exposures, firewire only for tethering, and a mediocre review screen. But within those notable constraints it still produces an amazingly beautiful raw file today, and will continue to produce an amazingly beautiful raw file another decade from now.

Hopefully you had a chance to play with one before purchase to make sure it fit your needs/wants from a specification point of view. But as long as the technical limits of this older platform don't interfere with your work then I suspect you'll love it!

Endeavour

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 04:52:54 pm »

I have been really happy with my P1/C1 workflow and I love my H body so I am really hoping the P65+ is going to give me what I want out in the field

The only concern is the exposure time. I wont ever be going above iso 50 or 100 so hoping this will help a little. But those 5 min waterfall shots are going to have to be rethought

now I just need to find someone to buy my P30+ to limit the pain my wife will inflict when she finds out I've bought another DB  :-\

Endeavour

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 05:09:43 am »

Ugh the ebay seller cancelled the sale after I paid for the P65+

no idea why, but that means I'm back to square one.

Christoph B.

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 07:21:19 am »

I have been really happy with my P1/C1 workflow and I love my H body so I am really hoping the P65+ is going to give me what I want out in the field

The only concern is the exposure time. I wont ever be going above iso 50 or 100 so hoping this will help a little. But those 5 min waterfall shots are going to have to be rethought

now I just need to find someone to buy my P30+ to limit the pain my wife will inflict when she finds out I've bought another DB  :-\

Well with the P65+ (which I owned until recently) I never went beyond 10-15 seconds, even with ISO50 the results became very unpleasant. You could make multiple exposures and then combine them afterwards but that requires very careful handling of the camera and files.
But I've made some of my personal favorite images at exposures of 7-10seconds and those turned out to be stellar looking!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 07:59:22 am »

Ugh the ebay seller cancelled the sale after I paid for the P65+

no idea why, but that means I'm back to square one.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe check with your preferred dealer if they have any p65+ or expect any coming in?

Or stretch to the IQ260 which allows exposures up to one hour and has a much better screen and in-camera review tech. The certified pre owned version of this back (guaranteed condition with warranty and dealer service/support included) is on sale at the moment: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product-category/refurbished-backs-bodies-lenses/pre-owned-phase-one-digital-backs/

Endeavour

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 09:54:00 am »

significant budget creep for an IQ ;)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 01:41:18 pm »

What about an IQ 160? 

The claim of 1 hour exposure capabilities on the 260 is a issue I sure would demo first. You don’t have to go anywhere near 1 hour before you see noise.  I owned one for 2 years or longer and never found the 260 was able to produce anything much longer than what I was getting with the 160, about 2 minutes.  Many seem to think the 260 had the same 1hour response as the P45+ sadly it did not. At least for me it didn’t. Even with the long exposure base ISO of 140.  I don’t think anything was done for the 260 after March of 2016 in regards to firmware improvement for long exposures. But I may have missed something.

Paul C

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

chrismuc

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 08:04:13 pm »

I had the P65+ and have the IQ180. Both use Dalsa sensors and behave very similar regarding color reproduction, DR and long exposure capability.
The IQ180 I try to use at ISO 35 and and 50 only and limit the exposure time to 8s. Any higher ISO or longer exposure time adds noise artefacts which effectively reduces the usable resolution on a level below any current high resolution 135 cameras.
These are great backs but nowadays I find the 50MP CMOS sensor in the GFX so much more convenient and flexible to work with (I expect soon the same with the 100MP version), so I rarely use IQ180 and I today won't recommend to invest in such dated system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up