Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescission  (Read 43030 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: Rescission
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 04:44:06 pm »

As we have now left turmoil behind and moved into sunlit uplands of tranquillity, I have decided to rescind the ban on political discussions in the Coffee Corner.

My previous stipulations on the contents of those discussions, concerning both etiquette and links to external sites remain and I shall enforce them rigorously.

Jeremy

Jeremy, can you be more transparent in what changed your mind?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 04:47:35 pm »

Who cares? Vive la liberté!

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 04:50:13 pm »

Who cares? Vive la liberté!

Vive la liberté

Absolutely. My freedom stops where your freedom start. And backwards, hence my question.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 03:03:12 am »

A whim.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 08:55:57 am »

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:02 am »

And we turned out to be a relatively harmless bunch after all!

;-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:52 pm »

A whim.

Jeremy

I was afraid you would hang up a story about vision, sustained leadership and other lies.
It does you great credit to be honest.

::)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57:48 pm »

It's more an indication of LuLa's increasing irrelevance.  There are only about two technical sections that get any meaningful comment these days and many of the outstanding contributors (Jeff Schewe and Jim Kasson are most notable) seemed to have moved on.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Kevin Raber's new site goes public.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 07:22:01 pm »

I was afraid you would hang up a story about vision, sustained leadership...

Cela va sans dire.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2019, 06:55:20 am »

It's more an indication of LuLa's increasing irrelevance.  There are only about two technical sections that get any meaningful comment these days and many of the outstanding contributors (Jeff Schewe and Jim Kasson are most notable) seemed to have moved on.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Kevin Raber's new site goes public.

Gimme a break!

All I remember about Schewe was bad temper and political cant!

But then, to be fair, the tech pages are not for me because I am a simple photographer whose only interest in the medium is making pretty pictures. I learned the minimum I had to learn, the rest remaining over my head and beyond my concern.

To get to that happy condition, I received invaluable digital advice and help here when I needed it most.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2019, 08:29:49 am »

Gimme a break!

All I remember about Schewe was bad temper and political cant!

But then, to be fair, the tech pages are not for me because I am a simple photographer whose only interest in the medium is making pretty pictures. I learned the minimum I had to learn, the rest remaining over my head and beyond my concern.

To get to that happy condition, I received invaluable digital advice and help here when I needed it most.

Bravo Rob,

That's the way it should be. Focus on what your making, not on the how to as much. Just enough to make the work. I first learned that as a kid, and carried that thru from photography to painting.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:52 am »

Exactly, Peter. And, having seen some of your street shots I'm sure you understand that with street, if you think, you're lost. You don't have time to diddle with the equipment or think about the rule of thirds. In most cases you have to raise the camera, frame, and shoot, or the shot's gone -- evaporated into history.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

rabanito

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2019, 10:05:59 am »

Rob

+1 to the power of 10  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:13 am »

+1 to the power of 10  ;)

You do know it still equals 1, right? ;)

rabanito

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2019, 10:19:35 am »

You do know it still equals 1, right? ;)

I remember some famous mathematician saying:
"I've found out that there are nations whose sense of humor (or lack thereof) requires raising a flag with clearly written words: "It's a joke, it's a joke." Or a smiley. "

Was it Gauss, Lobatschewski  or Blagojevic?
Missed the smiley, Slobodan?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 04:27:49 am »

It will be interesting to see what happens when Kevin Raber's new site goes public.

To stay in Jeremy’s world:

L’histoire se répète.

I saw it happening on several websites. Some will move to Kevin’s site and some will remain.
If the gear geeks move on, it looks not good for Lula, because it are the gear geeks who spend money, not the art loving philosophers.

Lula forum will dry out and at a certain moment the cost to maintain the forum will be to much for the tangible and non tangible benefits.

The site owner will decide to kill the forum and focus on sponsored reviews and articles, trying to get revenu out of this. Soon it will become obvious that Lula without his enlightened leader or the beholders of his legacy is ideologically death and the site will be brought back to a low maintainable relic of the past, or abrupt disappear.

Or maybe it will be different.
 ;D

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:34:27 am by Ivo_B »

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:56 am »

To stay in Jeremy’s world:

L’histoire se répète.

I saw it happening on several websites. Some will move to Kevin’s site and some will remain.
If the gear geeks move on, it looks not good for Lula, because it are the gear geeks who spend money, not the art loving philosophers.

Lula forum will dry out and at a certain moment the cost to maintain the forum will be to much for the tangible and non tangible benefits.

The site owner will decide to kill the forum and focus on sponsored reviews and articles, trying to get revenu out of this. Soon it will become obvious that Lula without his enlightened leader or the beholders of his legacy is ideologically death and the site will be brought back to a low maintainable relic of the past, or abrupt disappear.

Or maybe it will be different.
 ;D

You may be right.

I made a similar point in the thread about the anniversary of Michael's death.

As said at the writing, I have no inside track from which to extrapolate, just hunch and gut feeling. There may be problems around the corner if the tech. stuff that many readers crave slows down simply because the market slows down; you can't write about new gear if there ain't any, but then as many of us already enjoy writing about gear we don't have, there may be mileage in theoretical gear we would like if we could afford it.

If there's a common thread to the few photography websites I frequent - used to be three, but now down to two - then I think it's that not many people write about the art, or what you described as the philosophy of photography. I don't know why this is. The opposite is true for me, and I enjoy reading/watching interviews with people I respect and whose pictures excite me. I think I've read every Sarah Moon, Peter Lindbergh, Hans Feurer and Deborah Turbeville interview out there on the Internet! The ones in LuLa I can no longer access, and truth to tell, none of them were with people for whose work I can find any interest.

It's a tough call for survival after the novelty wears off, and new, interesting blood doesn't appear to feel inclined to join in to replace those gone.

Today, I thought of looking for French PHOTO on the Internet, found it, and realised that it seems to have shrunk down to six issues a year; when I bought it, I think it did ten per annum. Also, it gives me the impression of having become totally sex based. It used to have a reasonable supply of fashion/pin-up stuff, but as far as I can see there's now little else. Tellingly, the 'amateurs' issue seems to be still going strong, which kinda indicates the perpetual dream of folks turning pro, now more difficult than ever, when you consider that publications like PHOTO itself are printing fewer times a year.

Yes, if Michael ran LuLa for fun, then I guess that's where it may end up again, but who knows?

BrianVS

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2019, 09:21:56 pm »

It's been a few months since I logged in, wanted to see how the forum is evolving under new leadership.

Most of the activity seems to be political, and very nasty.

I read this on a closed thread:

===================================================================================
Re: Etiquette and political discussions
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »
Political discussions are banned everywhere on this site. I have deleted today's mini-discussion and remedied my carelessness in leaving this thread unlocked.

Jeremy
==================================================================================
That was the right choice, I see made last year- rescinding it has changed this place.

The political discussions seem to be alive, raging, and the only place that the remaining members post to.

To bad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:35:14 pm by BrianVS »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2020, 06:36:49 am »

As we have now left turmoil behind and moved into sunlit uplands of tranquillity, I have decided to rescind the ban on political discussions in the Coffee Corner.

My previous stipulations on the contents of those discussions, concerning both etiquette and links to external sites remain and I shall enforce them rigorously.

Jeremy
Good! Thank you!
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up