Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescission  (Read 43401 times)

rabanito

Re: Rescission
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 01:39:46 pm »

Must it be American politics alone or we can discuss Burkina Faso or Photographistan as well?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:51 pm »

Must it be American politics alone or we can discuss Burkina Faso or Photographistan as well?

I hear Brunei is all the rage these days.

faberryman

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 01:45:54 pm »

I hear Brunei is all the rage these days.
Hard to pivot to Mueller from that, but not impossible.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 01:58:09 pm »

It may not have been noted by anybody except me (which would be a bad sign in and of itself) but the forums no longer seem to have any sponsored ads, so it's not clear that increased traffic will lead anywhere.

Still, it is probably a viable long-term business plan to simply pivot the whole thing to a right-wing conspiracy talk site. There's still good money to be made there, and photography as a web-site-money-maker looks pretty played out from here.
Not only that but I've seen some threads mysteriously disappear in recent days.  I don't know why that is happening.  Much to Russ, Slobadan, and other dismay, I shall take no part in the Recission discussions.  Not much to contribute to the conversation.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 02:20:21 pm »

Yes, Rob. Very much yes.

I hope the eye operation goes well.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy, but this appointment, afaik, is to make a further assessment of the condition of both eyes prior to further action which, I hope, once begun may finally be completed over two separate ops.

We shall see (no pun etc.).

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 02:22:38 pm »

I wish you the best, Rob.  Yesterday I learned that I'll be having a similar appointment in about a year.

And the best to you too! The worst thing is all the hanging about waiting for the machine to recognize you are there and need attention.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 02:35:29 pm »

It can be anything you like until somebody in authority informs you otherwise. A problem could be that not all matteres are internationally important/interesting until it's too late,  and then they become importsnt due to those pesky ripples.

I was hoping to celebrate the raising if the barriers by launching into a frenzy over Brexit, but when it comes right down to commenting on it in any sensible manner, I see that it has moved to the other side of the looking glass...

Rob

faberryman

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 03:12:28 pm »

I was hoping to celebrate the raising if the barriers by launching into a frenzy over Brexit, but when it comes right down to commenting on it in any sensible manner, I see that it has moved to the other side of the looking glass...

I don't understand all the votes in Parliament and negotiations between Conservatives and Labour. There are only three choices on the table: the Brexit deal already negotiated with the EU (already voted down three times), no deal Brexit (also voted down), and delay, which requires the consent of all EU members. After three years of futzing around, the UK has seven days to make up its mind. Ostriches spring to mind.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:55:26 pm by faberryman »

Telecaster

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 04:00:16 pm »

"Next time, ossifer, I'll only have one drink at the bar before I drive home. I promise! Please let me go!"

-Dave-

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 04:16:45 pm »

It can be anything you like until somebody in authority informs you otherwise. A problem could be that not all matteres are internationally important/interesting until it's too late,  and then they become importsnt due to those pesky ripples.

Robhttps://forum2.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?board=33.0

I think Jeremy made the point clearly, and Rob emphasized it in his response: Stay away from personal insults against posters. It's okay to insult politicians, most of whom are beyond insulting anyway, and it's certainly okay to resist the usual BS on fantasies such as "global warming." But posters' personalities are off limits.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »

I don't understand all the votes in Parliament and negotiations between Conservatives and Labour. There are only three choices on the table: the Brexit deal already negotiated with the EU (already voted down three times), no deal Brexit, and delay, which requires the consent of all EU members. After three years of futzing around, the UK has seven days to make up its mind. Ostriches spring to mind.

If you thought it is difficult to guess, let alone know, what women want... try Britain:

- do you want to stay in EU? - NO
- do you want to leave on April 12th? - NO
- do you want a second referendum? - NO
- do you want to disregard the first one? - NO
- do you want... - NO, NO, NO!
- what the hell DO you want? - I don’t know... what do YOU want?
😂

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 06:15:59 pm »

Could this be the magic elixer that will entice Schewe back?  I really enjoyed his nocturnal rants about Trump.  Bastante terapéutico.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 12:06:33 am »

Could this be the magic elixer that will entice Schewe back?  I really enjoyed his nocturnal rants about Trump.  Bastante terapéutico.
I certainly hope so. Schewe's posts were (almost) the only ones worth reading (at least for entertainment value.)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 07:02:22 am »

I don't understand all the votes in Parliament and negotiations between Conservatives and Labour. There are only three choices on the table: the Brexit deal already negotiated with the EU (already voted down three times), no deal Brexit, and delay, which requires the consent of all EU members. After three years of futzing around, the UK has seven days to make up its mind. Ostriches spring to mind.

The trouble, as I see it, is this: the Conservatives are apparently dominated by inner cliques of power brokers who imagine themselves still in the times of Queen Victoria, and would simply send in a gunboat, had we one frightening enough today, to settle all disputes by force. Of course, to have that fun, first they need a dispute, and as there isn't one, one has to be invented, hence the demonizing of Europe and calls for Brexit. The original call for a referendum was precisely an attempt to quell, hopefully once and for all, the inner class turmoil of the Conservative party, a risk taken because it was never seriously considered a real risk; Cameron was a man of too much faith in his people.

The voting populace is not the most highly informed one in the world. The result is a mass of adult souls looking for political leaders who just fill its head with differently-coloured promises of easy, fantasy money and jobs based on the assumption that the rest of the world needs Britain for some special, unique and usually unidentified talents that it has. The way out of having to qualify these assurances is diversion: blame somebody else, usually poorer people from abroad, willing to do work that the proud Brits find unpalatable because it's a bit tough and boring, and probably not as well-paying as are the various "benefit" schemes that experts can plough. It's never made clear who, exactly, would then fill the rôles that the migrant workers currently do. Who will offer to pick fruit and vegetables, wait on tables and slave in commercial kitchens, clean bedrooms in hotels, work terrible hours as nurses - the list is never ending? And if they think the answer to making those jobs attractive to white Brits is raising the pay grade of them, great, they must expect their own outgoings to be increased in proportion every time they go outside their home. It might come as a surprise to many voters, but governments don't have money, only the taxpayers provide it; for governments to spend it, somebody has to lose it in taxation.

So basically, voters can look upon the European concept as a threat from abroad, or as an opportunity to travel, live and work abroad if they so choose, as a right, and not something that can only be done by special invitation. This is obviously why Europe, as a concept, appeals more to the young: the young are of an age where their lives are not set in stone and they can make choices. The old and about-to-retires have no such choice unless they have saved up enough money and/or have a good enough pension plan to allow them to move to a less severe clime in which to spend their final years. Which is why there are so many retired Brits in southerm Europe: it's not so goddam cold and bleak!

May's deal is, we are told repeatedly both by the lady hersef as by the Europeans, the only consensus to which they could arrive and agree. That seems to me a statement of fact, not prelude to further arguments.

According to the government's, business and the Bank of England reports and reseach on the matter, it's the only option that is less bad than crashing out without a deal, the best of all options being the status quo.

I can think of no business that would turn its back on its existing best client in order to chase fantasy clients who have made no offers at all. Some think of the USA as a replacement client. Britain already has zillions invested in American companies; it's what the financial muscle of London was so good at doing all around the world; Brexit can emasculate that at a stroke. If anyone in the UK rust belts thinks Trump is going to break his public promise to his own rustbelts by switching work to the UK... hell, he's even holding a gun to his own industries that have branches in Mexico, right next door!

So yes, after all this time, British politicians are still messing about. Why? Because both major parties are split internally into several warring factions and neither wants to have the others win. It is not about the national interest alone, but about those political parties and conflicted political interests. That's why, in a nod to national interest they vote to make a no deal exit impossible (as if they were the only players here) but they nevertheless cannot accept the only deal available because it clashes with some of their internal political ambitions. I was going to refer to them as beliefs, but I don't think they really have any beliefs anymore.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:34:08 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 12:16:48 pm »

I think Jeremy made the point clearly, and Rob emphasized it in his response: Stay away from personal insults against posters. It's okay to insult politicians, most of whom are beyond insulting anyway, and it's certainly okay to resist the usual BS on fantasies such as "global warming." But posters' personalities are off limits.

Up to a point, Lord Copper*. The bar on what constitutes a tolerable personal insult is set a little higher for politicians than for members of LuLa, but it does exist. I won't regard playground abuse as acceptable no matter who the target might be.

Jeremy

* Look it up. I said it to a Judge during a hearing last year, in response to a question from him. He looked a little blank but my opponent guffawed quietly, which was gratifying.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 12:56:59 pm »

... The bar on what constitutes a tolerable personal insult is set a little higher for politicians than for members of LuLa, but it does exist. I won't regard playground abuse as acceptable no matter who the target might be...

I would then assume, Jeremy, should you be appointed the New York Times moderator, you would ban articles like this? ;)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/opinion/trump-deadly-deregulation.html

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »

I would then assume, Jeremy, should you be appointed the New York Times moderator, you would ban articles like this? ;)

Ha. I think one can infer more from that article about the author than about the president.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 02:48:37 pm »

Ha. I think one can infer more from that article about the author than about the president.

Jeremy

Yin and yang.

Rob

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 09:53:24 am »

Hey, I learned a new word: rescission. Had to go and look it up.

As for Brexit, it is on going, or so it seems. I remember starting a thread about it a few eons ago, it went viral, as folks would say today. Anyway, the GB was never truly inside the EU - different currency and border policies - so not sure what all the fuss is about ;D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »

If anyone wants to discuss a specific political topic, please start a new thread.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up