Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadro card - 10bit - worth it?  (Read 14803 times)

Daverich

Re: Quadro card - 10bit - worth it?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2019, 03:44:44 pm »

https://www.slrlounge.com/10-bit-support-now-available-for-photoshop-cc-in-os-x/
I think that version is too old.

Thanks Andrew, I wondered if that was the case. I've found directions for setting up CS6 to display 10 bit under Windows but never on a Mac. I've been holding off on signing up for CC because everything I need is in CS6 and then there's the subscription thing but maybe it's time to get on with it. At some point Apple is going to upgrade something and break CS6 anyway. Thanks again for your help.

aderickson

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2019, 11:29:17 pm »

Just for your information, the Mac app Preview in High Sierra is 10 bit enabled. At least with my NEC PA243W monitor and an Nvidia GTX 1050 ti video card I can view Andrew's test image in Preview with no banding. The monitor reports 10 bits when I turn it on.

Allan

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 06:44:08 am »

Just for your information, the Mac app Preview in High Sierra is 10 bit enabled. At least with my NEC PA243W monitor and an Nvidia GTX 1050 ti video card I can view Andrew's test image in Preview with no banding. The monitor reports 10 bits when I turn it on.

Allan
Interesting, on Windows 10 the gtx 1050 only supports 10 bit with DirectX which is great for games but is not supported by Photoshop which requires OpenGL support.  Does the mac realy have openGL 10 bit driver for Nvidia gaming cards?

Dave

dehnhaide

Quadro card - 10bit - worth it?
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 07:39:23 am »

Interesting, on Windows 10 the gtx 1050 only supports 10 bit with DirectX which is great for games but is not supported by Photoshop which requires OpenGL support.  Does the mac realy have openGL 10 bit driver for Nvidia gaming cards?

Dave
I dare foresee the answer: NO! Since it's not about Apple / MacOS but about Adobe + Nvidia + AMD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geneo

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2019, 03:48:43 pm »

I’m not confusing either setting, I’m quite familiar with both settings you’re referring to. If the GTX1070 wasn’t actually capable of displaying in 10/30bit, why then would Ps give me the option to enable the 30bit setting if the card couldn’t actually display at said bit depth? I can take a screenshot if it’ll make you happy but I’m not confused. I may be wrong, sure, but if I am then Ps is wrong too. Also, how would it be possible that the desktop could be displayed in 10bits but not the Ps workspace? Doesn’t really make sense but maybe you know something I don’t. If you could elaborate and explain how and why the desktop is able to be displayed in 10bits and Ps gives the option of ticking the 30bits setting in the preferences, I’d be quite interested to know how this is not actually 30bits.

You can enable it, sure, but it doesn't work, period. Trust me I have a 10 bit display and GTX 1070 and have tried a quadro. You need a quadro or the AMD equivalent to get 10 bits to the display.

Since you can't do a geforce ans a quadro together on the same system, does anybody have one of the pro AMD cards and an nvidia geforce on the same system with 10 bit from the AMD? Do they play OK together?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:52:10 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens

dehnhaide

Quadro card - 10bit - worth it?
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2019, 04:34:38 pm »

Since you can't do a geforce ans a quadro together on the same system, does anybody have one of the pro AMD cards and an nvidia geforce on the same system with 10 bit from the AMD? Do they play OK together?

GTX 1080Ti FE + AMD FirePro WX7100 here, on a desktop. They are playing very nice together except for the fact that I am not able to see anything on the FirePro until Windows loads up since the GTX is water-cooled (my gaming he) and cannot be physically moved from the initially assigned slot... and I haven't been able to find the right BIOS settings (if any is available!) to give boot VESA priority to the FirePro.

Else, 10 bits running buttery smooth for both desktop and PS.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:15:36 am by dehnhaide »

Roscolo

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2019, 06:18:08 pm »

Pulled the trigger on the Quadro P2000 from B&H for $425. Literally the next day Dell had the Quadro P2000 on sale for $100 less: $325!  B&H wouldn't price match because Dell went out of stock quick, but was kind enough to just reroute the card and refund me. So I got the 10bit card and saved some $$$.

geneo

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2019, 09:10:35 pm »

GTX 1080Ti FE + AMD FirePro W7100 here, on a desktop. They are playing very nice together except for the fact that I am not able to see anything on the FirePro until Windows loads up since the GTX is water-cooled (my gaming he) and cannot be physically moved from the initially assigned slot... and I haven't been able to find the right BIOS settings (if any is available!) to give boot VESA priority to the FirePro.

Else, 10 bits running buttery smooth for both desktop and PS.

Thanks, that is good to hear. I will probably pick up a 5100, if I ever get my monitor issue resolved.

EDIT: Actually just ordered a Radeon Pro WX 7100
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:02:48 am by geneo »

geneo

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2019, 02:50:11 am »

update. I got the AMD 7100 wx and it plays fine with the geforce card. and provides 30 bit color for the monitor and Photoshop.
thanls

dehnhaide

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2019, 02:52:02 am »

update. I got the AMD 7100 wx and it plays fine with the geforce card. and provides 30 bit color for the monitor and Photoshop.
thanls

Glad it works for you! Though I am following your other thread with the monitor calibration issues and that is still not ok at all. I will comment there.

Doug Gray

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2019, 02:50:37 pm »

A good way to visually test whether you are actually getting a 10 bit end to end display is do this:

1. Create a special testing display profile with gamma set to 1.0 and enable it. This is important to do otherwise you can have a hard time distinguishing 8/10 bits. This will make your display look quite bright with little contrast wherever you are not color managing things. Ignore this during the test.

2. In Photoshop create and fill a long rectangular gradient from RGB 0,0,0 to 16,16,16 on a 16 bit mode new image. Set the Photoshop background to black or dark.

3. Assign it a gamma=1 profile. If you don't have one, create one in Photoshop by altering Adobe RGB to a custom gamma=1.

4. You will see 17 strong, vertical segments if your path is 8 bits anywhere. If 10 bits, you will see about 64, much narrower segments which may be barely noticeable.

In Photoshop settings select "desaturate colors" and make sure the % is set to 0. On Windows this causes internal paths to be 8 bits and you will see the display show the 17 vertical bars. Deselect to return to true 10 bit mode. I don't know whether Apple OSs differ with this selection.

I've attached an image to download with a gamma=1 profile attached you can use to skip steps 2 and 3.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:29:10 pm by Doug Gray »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2019, 08:46:33 am »

I probably have to post in each forum, but perhaps I can get the answer here:

Question: If I add a AMD pro card for 10bit, would I be able to select my RTX in Lightroom or Photoshop as "working" card? I'm asking, as I want to get 10bit back, but wouldn't want to give up the super fast speed the RTX is delivering.

I know C1, probably uses both cards, not sure about Adobe products...

It's also still true I couldn't use a NV Pro card in combination with my RTX?

Thanks a lot!
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2019, 04:04:36 am »

New Nvidia (RTX, Titan) driver with 30-bit color support:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/studio-driver/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:06:20 am by Panagiotis »

vikcious

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2019, 05:03:42 am »

New Nvidia (RTX, Titan) driver with 30-bit color support:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/studio-driver/
I second this! I have installed it, properly configured it (double check desktop display is enabled to 10bits before PS OpenGL 10bits / any complains) and IT'S WORKING!
|| One screw-up is a mistake, two screw-ups is a trend, three screw-ups is a style ||
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up