Poll

What's your choice among the profusion of mirrorless systems (own or consider)

Sony (FE) - I like my frame full and my system complete?
- 55 (24.6%)
Fuji - Really good APS-C has plenty of pixels, and oh, those lenses?
- 45 (20.1%)
Nikon - two great bodies and five light, sharp lenses are a GREAT start?
- 33 (14.7%)
Micro 43 - I like my cameras light, fast or video-centric?
- 27 (12.1%)
Canon (EF-R) - I like my lenses FAST and my adapters with extra features?
- 15 (6.7%)
Fuji GFX - full frame is still a small sensor?
- 26 (11.6%)
Panasonic/Leica - anything with Leica lenses is worth the weight and cost?
- 14 (6.3%)
Something else - Sony APS-C(only - vote Sony if you also have FE) EOS-M? Nikon 1?
- 9 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What system do you prefer, now that everything's out?  (Read 13753 times)

Dan Wells

What system do you prefer, now that everything's out?
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:37:18 pm »

Wow... It's been an eventful year for mirrorless, and all the cards are finally on the table. There's nothing really big on the horizon - the manufacturers seem to have run out of possible mounts... Sony may upgrade a body or two, and Fuji may bring the X-T3 sensor down the line, but we finally seem to be out of new systems (~8 viable plus a couple of marginal ones is a LOT). Any body we're expecting is a generational upgrade on something already available (if you don't already like the 42 MP A7rIII, a 60 MP A7rIV isn't likely to bring you to Sony).

A year ago, there were 1.5 full-frame mounts (Sony plus the Leica SL). Now there are four! We've seen everything from a Micro 43 competitor to the 1Dx II and D5 to a medium-format camera that is substantially smaller and lighter that that Micro 43 camera.

There should be a camera for every photographer now - what's yours?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: What system do you prefer, now that everything's out?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:04:55 pm »

GFX 50s —> GFX100 and two phase one backs for now.

On FF I’ll wait a little longer, probably for the next generation in sensors and by then we will have a better picture on how they developed. Currently it would be the Nikon or Panasonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

gkroeger

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:38:13 pm »

I am waiting to see what Zeiss does. Loxia lenses on a Sony AR7 III are a nice field kit. As sales of F-mount and EF-mount lenses decline, Zeiss has to decide what to do with the Milvus and Otus lines if they want to stay in the FF lens game.

Kirk_C

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:09:47 pm »

Everything's not out. The Hasselbad X1D-50C II and Leica SL2 will be released in 2019.

Two23

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:14:46 pm »

My Nikon DSLR and Chamonix 4x5 are still doing everything I need.  :)  I'm using the money I was going to spend on camera bodies on travel to Iceland & Faroe Islands instead.  That's the best bang for my buck. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47:45 pm »

My Nikon DSLR and Chamonix 4x5 are still doing everything I need.  :)  I'm using the money I was going to spend on camera bodies on travel to Iceland & Faroe Islands instead.  That's the best bang for my buck. :)

Kent in SD

A wise man.
I still bought the Z7 though, so far I probably could have taken similar pictures with what I already had.

hogloff

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:50:33 am »

I'm happy with my Sony outfit and awaiting their firmware update which will make me even happier. I'm not in the game of chasing the latest greatest gadget that is released.

Clearair

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 10:54:47 am »

Over 40 years of Canon who brought us the first real DSLR followed by the first affordable FF (5D1) followed by the 5D11 (video and double the pixels). But my first digital was an Olympus (yes) with a fixed beautiful F2 zoom lens and optical viewfinder. Fed up waiting for Canon to stop trickling down new tech so have still got the 5D11. I will given them one more year then the lenses will go. Right now I am loving my Run&Gun Olympus OMD E1 11 with tech that I have been gagging to use INBUILT not added or hanging on like some bitsa nightmare.
Small sensor=Fast, focusing miles better than the 5D11 and yes it is a niche camera but it did not cost me the retail price here in the UK £1800 but from my long time dealer £1200 after the Olympus promotion and with £300 worth of accessories yippee. I hope to see a mirrorless or optical Canon that is smaller and lighter than the current FF DSLRS that is fully featured. I looked at the latest 5D when it came out and concluded I was better putting that money towards a 400DO lens. The new EOS-R is a start but lacking in IBIS needs new sensor and what no time lapse?? The camera is over priced. Good luck to Panasonic with the new FF range at again eye watering prices for early adopters.

faberryman

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 01:07:29 pm »

I still bought the Z7 though, so far I probably could have taken similar pictures with what I already had.
Yes. People get carried away with specifications. Few ask what images will the new cameras allow you to make that you can't make with your current camera. If they answered it honestly fewer cameras would be sold.

John Camp

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 01:24:43 pm »

I really prefer m4/3 for size and mobility and I'm reasonably happy with my GX8s. The m4/3 cameras and sensors are falling behind, though, considering the tech that's showing up in these recent releases. I've got a lot of Nikon glass (and a D3 and D800) but I've not updated my Nikon system since the D800 because I've been focusing on m4/3, but if Panny and Oly don't move forward with their compact cameras, I may move to the Z cameras. (I recently spent some time shooting drag races, and took the D800 because the races went into the night, and the Nikon's low-light response is better.) I'm waiting, though, for rumors about a second generation of Zs and for a wider spread of native lenses for the new mount. For now, I'm good.

About the new FF Panasonic...Somebody in a different thread emphasized the tie-up with Leica, which has caused me to re-think that a bit. Nobody except a few fanboys (IMHO--don't assassinate me) really thought the Leica digital cameras were that great, and they were forbiddingly expensive. It's the Leica *glass* that everybody was hot for. A really excellent (and cheaper!) camera/sensor with Leica glass could be a compelling system.

faberryman

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 01:36:16 pm »

I'm waiting, though, for rumors about a second generation of Zs and for a wider spread of native lenses for the new mount.
Of course there will be a second generation of Z mount cameras. There will also be a second generation of EOS R and Panasonic cameras. And a fourth generation of Sony cameras. And a...

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 04:38:13 pm »

Not enough choices allowed in the poll for me to participate.  :)  I currently use three different mirrorless systems, counting Leica M, and three different sensor sizes (the Leicas use 135 & APS-H sensors). I could always get an APS-C Sony or Leica too, making it four sensor sizes! With the Batis 40mm for Sony all of 'em are filled out lens-wise. For the forseeable future I'm done. Can't say I favor any one of 'em over the others. Each has its place.

-Dave-

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 04:39:43 pm »

I bought a Z 6 last month because I need a smaller camera/lens set to travel with.  Z 6 is the perfect size for me.  Also got the adapter for my existing set of Nikkor lenses.  I did not need the Z 7 as I don't print big enough to need all those pixels.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new Z lens lineup.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 09:54:32 am »

I still prefer m43.  When you compare 20-24mp cameras, quality from the sensor is virtually the same across the board in real world use so it came down to features.  The Olympus still offers me a much more robust package. 

I do shoot medium format as well as needed and I really think gfx will be replacing my H system and phase back.  We will see.  It’s a shame high res mode on cameras has a sync speed limit that is so low.  Otherwise it would be a decent alternative when needed. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 10:16:34 am »

I'm using a Nikon Z7 and an Olympus EPL5.  For walking around I like the Olympus with a 17 mm lens. 

Paul Roark

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 11:00:02 am »

Sony a7rii (or iii) body, KoloriVision Ultra Thin cover glass replacement, Leica M lenses for new 28mm f/2 and up.  Plus the Canon 35mm tilt/shift and assorted other lenses.  For the M glass the the Voiglander adjustable adapter allows an accurately set infinity stop, which I find very useful for my "dual focus" landscape shooting (shoot close, then quickly at infinity, stack in PS -- allows virtually unlimited depth of field even for hand held shooting).

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 06:51:38 pm »

Fuji X-T2 & 3; rarely use my Canon 5D3 these days.  Why?  I like the weight, love the lenses, IQ is fine for me, don't print bigger than A3+ (13x19"). Lack of IBIS is no worry, have been able to get the results I want by increasing the ISO.
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 10:39:28 am »

I voted Sony, but not for the reason you comment Dan... basically because it is what I have since nearly three years ago... it is serving me well, I see no reason to switch now. Not saying that Panasonic, Nikon or Canon offers are worst than Sony, basically saying that for my needs, no reason to switch.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 11:06:22 am »

I was interested in doing some statistical analysis on the voting results to date. With a total N of 61 vote so far, 23 for Sony & 21 for Fujifilm, running a 2-proportion test with the Ho (null hypothesis) set to "equal" and the althernate hypothesis, Ha, set to "not equal" and alpha set to 0.05, to provide 95% confidence, the 2-P test tells us there is no statistically significant difference in the proportions of votes between Sony & Fujifilm.

2-proportion test results:

With a Z-score of 0.3161, and p value =0.7061 (≥ 0.05), it is concluded that the null hypothesis is not rejected.

What this means, statistically, is that with an N of 61 and the votes cast so far, we cannot conclude with 95% confidence that there is any statistically significant difference in the proportion of votes cast between Sony and Fujifilm.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:11:00 am by Stephen Scharf »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 11:53:47 am »

My only foray into the world of mirrorless has been the Fujifilm X100s which my son has had for the last year. Of course, that's left me lugging a D800 and associated lenses around, even when I would otherwise baulk at carrying the weight. A wholesale move to mirrorless seems a sensible move at some time, but I've been waiting to see what Nikon would do. Well, on Saturday I got to handle a Z6 with the 24-70 f4 'kit lens'. I loved it. I've read good things about the lens too, suggesting that it is far better than it has any right to be at that cost point & coping very well with the resolving power of even the Z7.

The question for me has now become one of going from 36MP down to 24 or up to 45. Oh, and the second question is where the money is coming from, in particular, if I go to the Z7. Anyone want to buy a kidney?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up