Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Z mount native lenses  (Read 66491 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Z mount native lenses
« Reply #460 on: October 16, 2021, 01:10:29 pm »

Surprising also they don’t compare it to the Sony lens this time around…

funny enough: a new Sony 70-200 has arrived and they like it even better...
400 gram lighter (!); bit sharper, very fast AF... but works not very well against the light as the Nikkor Z.

As i noticed above with the 50mm 1.2- it is not so much about the numbers anymore- all lenses are more than good enough, it is about the actual image drawing as it should...

In the analogue days we mostly just looked at the image - there were not many tests and reviews...

Since i am sensitive to specific aspects of a lens and camera-system that are never covered in these ( sponsored) reviews,
there is only one option : try before you buy...
My Nikon d850 still works so well that i can wait some more year till the mirrorless dust has settled.
(my nikon just made a bang on the floor with the 14-24mm lens on it and fortunately all still works well... another aspect for testing!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 01:20:12 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #461 on: November 19, 2021, 08:56:42 am »

Would be grateful for some of your thoughts regarding lens choices for an upcoming trip where I'll be shooting a wide variety of work, but also trying to keep my weight and size down.

I love my new Z 105/2.8 micro. Brilliant lens for macro work.
But I also love my F-mount 105mm 1.4 ED for portraits, even with the FTZ adapter on my Z7II

I could bring BOTH 105mm lens (which also means carrying the FTZ).

Or give up the brilliant portrait quality of the 105/1.4 and bring the 85/1.8 instead.
This would give me more focal lengths, and considerably lighter/smaller package.

...on the other hand there is the beauty of the F-105/1.4.

I haven't played around in post-processing with portrait images from the Z 105/2.8 to see how close I can get the feeling of the 105/1.4

Curious if anyone has used both - grateful for your thoughts.

Thank you.
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #462 on: November 19, 2021, 10:27:25 am »

Would be grateful for some of your thoughts regarding lens choices for an upcoming trip where I'll be shooting a wide variety of work, but also trying to keep my weight and size down.

I love my new Z 105/2.8 micro. Brilliant lens for macro work.
But I also love my F-mount 105mm 1.4 ED for portraits, even with the FTZ adapter on my Z7II

I could bring BOTH 105mm lens (which also means carrying the FTZ).

Or give up the brilliant portrait quality of the 105/1.4 and bring the 85/1.8 instead.
This would give me more focal lengths, and considerably lighter/smaller package.

I haven't played around in post-processing with portrait images from the Z 105/2.8 to see how close I can get the feeling of the 105/1.4

Curious if anyone has used both - grateful for your thoughts.

Thank you.

You are the only one to judge and could rent the 85mm to see if it is for you...

I have a lot of good F-mount glass that i will use also with the Z-bodies...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #463 on: November 19, 2021, 12:17:43 pm »

Thank you Pieter.
I already own the 85/1.8S, just not as impressed with IQ as with the 105/1.4
But it is a LOT smaller and lighter.
www.spiritoftea.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #464 on: December 15, 2021, 08:59:25 am »

I don't have both Z MC105/2.8 and the the F105/1.4. I do have the F104/1.4 and the Z85/1.8. Yes, the 85 is a lot smaller, it also is very sharp and renders beautifully. I still go for the F105/1.4 whenever I can. I have actually sold off almost all my F equipment and gone competely Z with the exception of the F105/1.4 and the F58/1.4 (though I might exchange that for the Z50/1.2)

I don't think the F105/1.4 will go anytime soon. There is nothing yet that is worthy to replace it...

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #465 on: April 24, 2022, 08:26:18 am »

I own a number of Nikkor Z lenses including the 35S, 50S and 85S, but this little Z 40 is fast becoming my favourite walk-around lens.

Nikon Z7, Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 lens, ISO 320, f/2, 1/320s.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #466 on: May 12, 2022, 07:13:30 pm »

Looking through the lens roadmap I see that there aren't many lenses there to still be launched, although I feel that there are still some gaps and wonder if there is anything that might get priority.

Few that I might be looking at:

- 16-35; yes they have the 14-30 F4 and 14-24 F2.8 but I always preferred the 16-35 range. I was very excited about the Olympus 8-25 F4 until I realized a 16-35 F4 on a high resolution full frame is basically the same. A high quality 16-35 F4 would be my preference here as I already have the 14-24 F2.8

- 70-300 F4-5.6; the F mount gets good reviews, I would like to see an improved Z version

- 135 F2; used a Samyang on F mount, and I'm in love with the Fuji 90 F2

In the setting of the grass is greener on the other side, I can't help but notice that in the last couple of years Sony has the upper hand with some lenses that I care about, either similar to Nikon like 20 F1.8, 50 F1.2, or unavailable and not on the roadmap, like the 16-35, F4 and 2.8, 135 F1.8.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #467 on: May 13, 2022, 06:32:42 am »

I could do with a really good 1.4 24mm S lens edge to edge sharp.
nowhere on the roadmap... and the 1.8 24mm S is just not good enough ( as good as my old 1.8 24mm G lens, but better mechanicaly)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2022, 04:38:44 am »

Also, whenever Nikon releases a desirable/well rated lens it's out of stock for an eternity.

KLaban

« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2022, 07:55:11 am »

Looking through the lens roadmap I see that there aren't many lenses there to still be launched, although I feel that there are still some gaps and wonder if there is anything that might get priority.

Few that I might be looking at:

- 16-35; yes they have the 14-30 F4 and 14-24 F2.8 but I always preferred the 16-35 range. I was very excited about the Olympus 8-25 F4 until I realized a 16-35 F4 on a high resolution full frame is basically the same. A high quality 16-35 F4 would be my preference here as I already have the 14-24 F2.8

- 70-300 F4-5.6; the F mount gets good reviews, I would like to see an improved Z version

- 135 F2; used a Samyang on F mount, and I'm in love with the Fuji 90 F2

In the setting of the grass is greener on the other side, I can't help but notice that in the last couple of years Sony has the upper hand with some lenses that I care about, either similar to Nikon like 20 F1.8, 50 F1.2, or unavailable and not on the roadmap, like the 16-35, F4 and 2.8, 135 F1.8.

I  use the 14-30, 35, 50 and 85 S lenses and I adapt a few third party manual focus lenses. The 50 and 80 are optically superb, the 14-30 and 35 more than meet my needs. That effectively covers my requirements except for what I would call Z lenses of character. Sure, there's the option of the 58mm f/0.95 Noct and the 50 f/1.2 but both are way too large and heavy for my specific needs. I also use and love using the Z 40 f/2 which goes some way to meeting my desire for compact lenses of character but what I would really love is a Z mount equivalent of the F mount 58mm f/1.4 G, a comparatively compact lens optimised for its bokeh qualities when used wide open. I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I've considered adapting the 58 f/1.4 G lens using my FTZ but I'm not too keen on the extra heft and girth and even more concerned about the resulting AF capabilities. Anyone here tried it?

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #470 on: May 16, 2022, 07:36:42 pm »

I  use the 14-30, 35, 50 and 85 S lenses and I adapt a few third party manual focus lenses. The 50 and 80 are optically superb, the 14-30 and 35 more than meet my needs. That effectively covers my requirements except for what I would call Z lenses of character. Sure, there's the option of the 58mm f/0.95 Noct and the 50 f/1.2 but both are way too large and heavy for my specific needs. I also use and love using the Z 40 f/2 which goes some way to meeting my desire for compact lenses of character but what I would really love is a Z mount equivalent of the F mount 58mm f/1.4 G, a comparatively compact lens optimised for its bokeh qualities when used wide open. I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I've considered adapting the 58 f/1.4 G lens using my FTZ but I'm not too keen on the extra heft and girth and even more concerned about the resulting AF capabilities. Anyone here tried it?

I like the idea of "lenses of character". I see lenses as paintbrushes, each with their own characteristic. The goal is not always absolute sharpness or some other measurable quality.

That said, I had kept the 58/1.4G around as one of my last F-Mount lenses. But the new bodies to my eye simply expose the flaws of that lens which now outweigh the "character". The 50/1.2 has IMMENSE character, but at the price of immense size and weight.

I await the (likely) 85/1.2 which is bound to be oozing with character.
And I'm about to add the 40/2, which seems like a wonderful compromise.

For me the biggest "holes" in the lineup are:

- A Z-mount version of the 105/1.4 (the 105/2.8/micro is incredible, but missing the extra bit of magic from the 1.4. I think I saw a post on Nikon rumors about a Nikon patent for a DC-type lens. Whatever the flavor, would love a true portrait lens around the 100-135mm range.

- A better 35mm. Unlikely we are going to see a 35/1.2, and not sure I'd want to carry it around anyway. But the current S-Line 35/1.8 is to me sadly missing character. It is a competent lens, but not special. The weakest link in the S-Line(up).

- Z-Mount Tiltshift - Haven't heard anything about this. Not hight on my list, but would be welcome.
www.spiritoftea.com

gkroeger

« Reply #471 on: May 17, 2022, 01:37:44 pm »

For me, the biggest remaining hole is a 70-200 f/4 or similar.  I love the 70-200 f/2.8, but it is too heavy and massive for hiking. Even if Nikon would rebrand Tamron's 70-180 f/2.8, that would do the trick for me.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #472 on: May 17, 2022, 02:52:12 pm »

In most of the tests the new Sony primes are really good and in some ways better than Nikon's Z lenses..
i am thinking of the 35mm 1.4 gm , the 24mm 1.4 GM and the 20mm 1.8 G lens.
Mostly lighter, sharper and better with coma in the corners... but with huge vignetting that does not really go away when stopping down.
Nikon's vignetting is usually a bit better better as are the coatings ...
Anyway- i have my d850 and good lenses so i will be watching this year... not buying..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

« Reply #473 on: May 20, 2022, 05:09:00 am »

Further to my previous post...

The Nikon AF-S 58mm f1.4 G lens, at long last I bit the bullet and bought it earlier this week. Both of these quick and dirty images shot on a Nikon Z7 using the FTZ adapter, the car in comparatively soft light, the scene in harsh and contrasty light (I thought this would be a good test to show any flaws). I love that the bokeh balls are circular to the edges of the FX frame and have no discernable onion rings when viewed at 100%. When shot wide open the bokeh balls still behave themselves, are very attractive and thankfully there is no distracting and busy swirly bokeh. So far this lens is all I was hoping it would be and definitely a keeper.

ISO 400, f/2, 1/125s.

ISO 220, f2.8, 1/125s.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 06:36:54 am by KLaban »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #474 on: May 24, 2022, 05:03:07 pm »

Further to my previous post...

The Nikon AF-S 58mm f1.4 G lens, at long last I bit the bullet and bought it earlier this week. Both of these quick and dirty images shot on a Nikon Z7 using the FTZ adapter, the car in comparatively soft light, the scene in harsh and contrasty light (I thought this would be a good test to show any flaws). I love that the bokeh balls are circular to the edges of the FX frame and have no discernable onion rings when viewed at 100%. When shot wide open the bokeh balls still behave themselves, are very attractive and thankfully there is no distracting and busy swirly bokeh. So far this lens is all I was hoping it would be and definitely a keeper.

ISO 400, f/2, 1/125s.

ISO 220, f2.8, 1/125s.

Nice! From all the current F mount lenses it comes to this and the 105 to still be worth buying. In a way it's ironic considering that the 58 got a lot of bad publicity because it's not that sharp.

KLaban

« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2022, 03:30:47 am »

Nice! From all the current F mount lenses it comes to this and the 105 to still be worth buying. In a way it's ironic considering that the 58 got a lot of bad publicity because it's not that sharp.

Thanks.

Agreed, two classic lenses, good to have the option to use them. Really, Z users are well catered for in regards to native, sharp lenses.

The 58 is somewhat soft in comparison when used wide open but sharpens up and still maintains character when stopped down a tad.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2022, 03:55:45 am »

Thanks.

Agreed, two classic lenses, good to have the option to use them. Really, Z users are well catered for in regards to native, sharp lenses.

The 58 is somewhat soft in comparison when used wide open but sharpens up and still maintains character when stopped down a tad.

What i noticed using it is that the coatings are really good, giving very good contrast and deep colours. While the lens get sharp in the central area, the corners are always a bit soft...
It is a special lens indeed, with very nice bokeh.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

« Reply #477 on: May 25, 2022, 06:03:15 am »

What i noticed using it is that the coatings are really good, giving very good contrast and deep colours. While the lens get sharp in the central area, the corners are always a bit soft...
It is a special lens indeed, with very nice bokeh.

A good summary.

I wouldn't be using this lens for flat-field work where across the image sharpness is of primary importance, but it is these special and specific differences that give it its character and make it so appealing for other forms of work. Another plus, I can hardly believe how light and compact it is for a fast lens even when used with the FTZ.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #478 on: May 29, 2022, 02:24:25 pm »

A newer adapter for Sony E to Nikon Z hit the market, and for my mostly landscape/slower focus requirements I expect that one of the adapters to work good enough.

Do you guys use any adapted Sony E lenses? Or do you have any specific Sony E lenses envy which you are considering?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #479 on: May 29, 2022, 02:34:10 pm »

I don't have any 'Sony Envy." There are some Sony that are equal to the Nikon Z lenses that I know, but not particularly better. And we could ask: better at what?

I have different requirements for what kind of photography I am doing. If I am in the studio, then weight and the need for a tripod don't matter. If I am out in the field, then weight and so forth matter. The absence of the various aberrations ALWAYS matter to me. Here is a list of the the Nikon Z lenses that I know something about, and most I have. It may or not be helpful to any of you, but then it might. I am a close-up and macro photographer, for the most part. I am VERy impressed with the Nikon Z lenses that are part of the "S" series.

Here are some of the Nikon Z lenses that interest me for field work and brief comments for my kind of close-up work.

The Nikkor NOCT 0.95 has a DXOMark rating of T=55, with a sharpness rating of S=35, weighs in at 4.4 lb.  with a near distances of 1.64 ft. I love this lens, but it is too heavy, bulky, for hiking and no autofocus. I use it in the studio for the most part.

Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S gets a high rating from DXOMark T=49, with a sharpness rating of S=41, is light enough (1.03 lb.), but has a near focus distance of 2.62 ft., which is too far for my close-up work. I have it but seldom use it.

The Nikon Z 70-200 F/2.8 S gets a DXOMark rating of  T=38, with a sharpness rating of  S=38, but weighs 2.99 lbs. and has a near focus of 1.64’. Heavy, but otherwise a very useful lens. I would need a tripod, probably.

The Nikon Z 24-70 f/2.8 gets a DXOMark rating of T=36, with a sharpness rating of S=26. It is a little heavy at 1.77 lbs.  and has a near focus of 1.25’. A good lens for my work, but probably not for hiking. I might just use this one while hiking anyway.

The Nikon Z 24-70 f/4, gets a DXOMark rating of T=29, with a sharpness rating of S=19, weighs a light 1.1 lb., and a near focus of 11.81”. This is a main candidate, IMO, for taking into the field. I have had good results with it so far.

The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 gets a DXOmark of T=44, with a sharpness rating of S=37, weighs a light of 14.64 oz, with a near focus of 1.31 ft, a little long and I don’t tend to use a 50mm lens much.

The Nikon Z 105mm Macro f/2.8 S (not DXO rated) weighs a light 1.4 lbs. and has a near focus of 11.4”. This probably is the best candidate for my work, although not wide enough for small dioramas. I may just take this into the field. This is the most-used "S" lens that I have.

The Nikon Z 24-120 f/4 S (not DXO rated) weighs a light 1.4 lb. and has a near focus of 1.1’. I want to try it out, but may have too much chromatic aberration. I will see how it does. Not so great.

The Nikon Z 100-400 S f/4.5 (not DXO-rated) weighs a hefty 3.2 lbs. and has a near focus distance of 2.5’. I will use this on a tripod, but not carry it far. I have it, but have not had a chance to shoot critters with it.

The Nikon Z MC 50mm f/2.8 Macro is not DXO rated, and has a 6.3” near distance, and weighs 9.2 oz. Not an ‘S’ lens as I have found out. Not quite sharp enough, but fills a slot that needs to be filled..

Nikon Z 35mm f/1.8 has a DXOMark rating of T=38 and a sharpness rating of S=30, weighs 13 oz, with a close focus of 9.84”. I don’t have this lens, but I might try it and see how good it is. I don't have this one.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:43:31 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up