Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Z mount native lenses  (Read 66504 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Z mount native lenses
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2019, 02:50:00 pm »

The 20 was supposed to be released this year but they switched positions with the 24; alas I already have the F version and can't justify another 24.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2019, 10:14:34 am »

Just heard (Nikon source) that the 70-200 f2.8 S will come about october.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2019, 12:41:50 pm »

Just curious, but is it that hard for those that have the very well received 70-200 F2.8E to just leave a FTZ adapter on it and use it as such if they have this burning need for it?

John Camp

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2019, 01:16:26 pm »

Just curious, but is it that hard for those that have the very well received 70-200 F2.8E to just leave a FTZ adapter on it and use it as such if they have this burning need for it?

No, it's not. But, the f2.8 is a beast. I did a lot of work with it for several years, several years ago, and even when I was younger, it was a load to carry. I'm hoping that the upcoming f2.8 is more compact than the F mount f2.8, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that it won't be. There have been several mock-up photos of the f2.8 S inside a glass case, and in comparing the size of it to the known sizes of other lenses in the case, it also looks fairly beastly. One thing I don't totally understand is why the insistence on f2.8? With a 70-200 you're not typically looking for bokeh, which you're not going to get much of with a 2.8 anyway. So why not go to a compact f4, and shoot at 400 instead of 200, or 800 instead of 400? Those higher ISOs in modern cameras are of excellent quality, and you're not usually looking for ultimate quality in a zoom anyway, at least not to the point where one stop will make a difference. But compactness is important to many people, I believe, and not just us old guys. We're not shooting film anymore, and Nikon should get used to that. What we really could use, IMHO, is a high-quality compact f4. A huge heavy f**king lens sticking out of a light, compact body is not a great idea, to say the least.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2019, 02:54:56 pm »

I've owned both the 2.8 and 4.0 versions of the Nikkor f-mount 70-200.  The f4.0 version is by far preferable.  The 2.8 was noticeably soft wide open, the 4.0 was as sharp wide open as it was anywhere else.  Which is very effing sharp.  Superb lens, far smaller and lighter. 

Too bad its motor hates the new autofocus system on the Z cameras.  It chatters and seeks loudly, rendering it useless for video and difficult for stills.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:34:57 am by Peter McLennan »

SrMi

« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2019, 12:38:49 am »

I've owned both the 2.8 and 4.0 versions of the Nikkor f-mount 70-200.  The f4.0 version is by far preferable.  The 2.8 was noticeably soft wide open, the 4.0 was as sharp wide open as it was anywhere else.  Which is very effing sharp.  Superb lens, far smaller and lighter. 

Too bad it motor hates the new autofocus system on the Z cameras.  It chatters and seeks loudly, rendering it useless for video and difficult for stills.

Which version of the 70-200 f/2.8 did you have? The latest Nikon f-mount 70-200 f/2.8 is considered to be one of the best zoom lenses available, much better than the f/4 version.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:41 am »

Which version of the 70-200 f/2.8 did you have? The latest Nikon f-mount 70-200 f/2.8 is considered to be one of the best zoom lenses available, much better than the f/4 version.

Indeed, the 70-200 f2.8 E FL is in Otus territory wide open on all focal lengths.

It is significantly better than the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 III released a year later, itself considered as one of the best L lenses, and also than the recent Sony 70-200mm f2.8 G Master.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2019, 12:47:21 am »

Just heard (Nikon source) that the 70-200 f2.8 S will come about october.

That would be very good news.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:47 am »

The upcoming 70-200 f2.8S ; Now i wonder what kind of a lens it will be.
If it is as good as the FL type it certainly will cost about the same one might expect.
We will see soon.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2019, 08:18:41 am »

The upcoming 70-200 f2.8S ; Now i wonder what kind of a lens it will be.
If it is as good as the FL type it certainly will cost about the same one might expect.
We will see soon.

It can only be better I guess.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:17 am »

In the mean time Nikon drives on two roads.
Costumers have to choose between DSLR D6 and Mirrorless.
It becomes clear with the introduction of a new 120-300mm for F-bajonet that Nikon says:
Sports shooters / animal shooters : please remain in the DSLR camp. After all no long telelenses are in the Z roadmap.
All other shooters:  You may choose...

In the meantime a new 24mm f1.8 S is introduced at about 1000€.
I am sure it will be good. but i do not like:
a the lensprofile i cannot set to off in Lightroom ( a LR problem i know)
b the fact it will not hold focus when turned off or when the battery has run out.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2019, 11:34:42 am »

Which version of the 70-200 f/2.8 did you have?

Good point.  It was an older version.  One of the first with VR.  Can't remember the precise model name.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2019, 01:30:44 am »

In the mean time Nikon drives on two roads.
Costumers have to choose between DSLR D6 and Mirrorless.
It becomes clear with the introduction of a new 120-300mm for F-bajonet that Nikon says:
Sports shooters / animal shooters : please remain in the DSLR camp. After all no long telelenses are in the Z roadmap.

Call it my guess if you will, but I don't think it is the message nor the situation. But Nikon's marketing being as disastrous as ever, we have to read btwn the lines...

There is going to be no practical different in size between a F mount 120-300mm f2.8 and a Z mount version.

So the only difference is the spec of the mount and the compatibility of the AF system with the body right? And since my educated guess is that this 120-300mm f2.8 is designed with both F mount and Z mount in mind I would definitely not look at this lens as an F mount lens. It's an hybrid design fully usable at maximum performance level on both mounts.

And I am fully confident Nikon can achieve this technically because my 10 years old 200mm f2.0 G is already 90% as good AF wise on the Z6 as it was on my D850.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:58:12 am by BernardLanguillier »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2019, 01:59:05 am »

But the Z6 doesn’t focus as well as the A73 and the A73 isn’t nearly as good as the A9. I know this because I have played with the Z7 and I own an A9.

But this is beside the point actually. What is concerning is what appears to be to my mind Nikon having a little Kodak moment. I suppose you could put it down to marketing but a part of marketing is listening to the market. I’m not convinced Nikon is so good at that. For Nikon to make money they need the advanced amateur market. It’s way bigger than the handful of pro sports shooters most of whom seem to be using Canon anyway. Do you think at this stage that Nikon will lure Canon shooters currently using The 1DX to switch to a Nikon DSLR system? I think the Canon guys are waiting for a Canon pro mirrorless body. Those that have switched from Canon or are planning to switch are far more likely to go Sony, God help them.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2019, 03:17:10 am »

But the Z6 doesn’t focus as well as the A73 and the A73 isn’t nearly as good as the A9. I know this because I have played with the Z7 and I own an A9.

I find the Z6 with firmware 2.01 to focus significantly better than the Z7 with firmware 2.01 and to be in a totally different league that the Z7 with firmware 1.0. The gap being IMHO larger than we used to see between 2 generations of camera in the DSLR days.

But this is beside the point actually. What is concerning is what appears to be to my mind Nikon having a little Kodak moment. I suppose you could put it down to marketing but a part of marketing is listening to the market. I’m not convinced Nikon is so good at that. For Nikon to make money they need the advanced amateur market. It’s way bigger than the handful of pro sports shooters most of whom seem to be using Canon anyway. Do you think at this stage that Nikon will lure Canon shooters currently using The 1DX to switch to a Nikon DSLR system? I think the Canon guys are waiting for a Canon pro mirrorless body. Those that have switched from Canon or are planning to switch are far more likely to go Sony, God help them.

No, the D6 is not aimed at converting Canon shooters. It is meant at a few things as I have already stated:
- keep the pro Nikon shooters happy with a significant update to the D5 one year before the Japan Olympics
- develop the technologies, AF in particular, that will be used on all the prosumer Nikon DSLRs in the 3-4 coming years (including the replacement of the D850)
- end the DSLR era with a remarkable product that they will continue to produce for many years, like the F6 that still sells today in enough numbers that Nikon can produce it without losing money

The D6 is also not a sign that Nikon doesn't understand that mirrorless is the next big thing. It is a camera they had to release for their existing user base.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/05/new-2020-2012-nikon-nikkor-z-s-line-lens-roadmap-leaked.aspx/

If this is real it looks better than I expected. The focal lengths and zooms are most of the things I would want, granted within certain weight/quality numbers and not outrageously expensive.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2019, 05:11:19 pm »

Yes, just about perfect.

We are getting pretty much exactly what I had predicted. A 35mm f1.2 instead of a 28mm f1.2 but close enough.

Cheers,
Bernard

gkroeger

« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2019, 05:25:11 pm »

I was somewhat pleased and somewhat baffled by the roadmap.  Pleased that everything is an S-line lens.  Baffled by why we are getting a 28-70 f/2.8-f/3.5 when we already have a 24-70 f/4 and f/2.8. If the variable aperture version was non-S, I would understand better as a low cost kit lens. Most baffling is the idea that we need a 65 f/1.8 before we get a 70-200 f/4?  Can a 28-280 f/2.8-f/5.6 really live up to the S-line hype?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2019, 05:32:31 pm »

No pro telelenses for the Z till 2022...or later...
The 65 f1.8 is an odd one, maybe a macrolens?
I do not think the order within the year is of any significance...as it was not before...we are still waiting for this .95 lens.
The 24mm lens i will have in october for some testshots. Nikon has made many 24mm lenses and i have owned many of them.
This one should be the best of the bunch, i hope.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2019, 08:04:40 pm »

No pro telelenses for the Z till 2022...or later...
The 65 f1.8 is an odd one, maybe a macrolens?
I do not think the order within the year is of any significance...as it was not before...we are still waiting for this .95 lens.

My guesses:
- the 65mm f1.8 is indeed a macro lens, it wouldn't make sense otherwise
- the 120-300 f2.8 SR announced yesterday was designed from scratch to AF optimally on both F and Z mout bodies. This is the only way such a strategic release would make sense and Nikon does make sense 99% of the time for such matters.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25   Go Up