Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Z mount native lenses  (Read 66501 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Z mount native lenses
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2019, 09:25:36 am »

Congratulations, Keith!

I hope you get a lot of good use out of the thing. Just one question: you have a clip-on EVF for your Leicas - has that not been good enough to compensate for your eye problems?

So what was the 'decisive moment' that swung the decision to purchase?

Rob

Hi Rob, well, if there was one 'decisive moment' it was on our return from India this year and the realisation that I'd gone from missing the occasional focus to missing far too many. The problem with macular degeneration - and thankfully mine is seemingly slow to develop - is that the area of loss of sight is slap bang in the middle of the eye which coincides nicely with the part of the eye used for rangefinder focussing. I took the Z7 for a walk yesterday, made a hundred or so shots and happily all were in perfect focus.

I suffer from the concept of possibly using my Leica M lenses in combination with the super EVF on the Z7 but as V keeps pointing out I'd still be relying on my eyesight to focus rather than pressing a button and letting the camera do the rest: clever girl that.

As far as the EVF on the Leica M goes, it's toy grade, particularly in comparison to the Nikon and often serves to confuse rather than aid.

Rob C

« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2019, 11:04:19 am »

Hi Rob, well, if there was one 'decisive moment' it was on our return from India this year and the realisation that I'd gone from missing the occasional focus to missing far too many. The problem with macular degeneration - and thankfully mine is seemingly slow to develop - is that the area of loss of sight is slap bang in the middle of the eye which coincides nicely with the part of the eye used for rangefinder focussing. I took the Z7 for a walk yesterday, made a hundred or so shots and happily all were in perfect focus.

I suffer from the concept of possibly using my Leica M lenses in combination with the super EVF on the Z7 but as V keeps pointing out I'd still be relying on my eyesight to focus rather than pressing a button and letting the camera do the rest: clever girl that.

As far as the EVF on the Leica M goes, it's toy grade, particularly in comparison to the Nikon and often serves to confuse rather than aid.

Then that's two verboten topics you have to share with her: non-af lenses and Cavemen.

I realised today that the cataracts have helpd me evade doing much dusting - they help to make dust vanish, which can be useful.

:-(

Manoli

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2019, 02:41:26 am »

I suffer from the concept of possibly  my Leica M lenses in combination ...

You’re not alone.

Trawled the Z7 and Leica M10 forums on FB yesterday, running a quick and cursory look over the images posted, on the basis rhat whatever ‘bad’ could be done to an online photo, Facebook would surely be amongst the top offenders.

Attached below are 3 shots - 2 taken with a Leica 50 Lux the other with a Nikon 50 1.8/s
Guess which is which ...

** deleted - possible copyright infringement **
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:54:34 am by Manoli »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2019, 06:25:02 pm »

I've bought into Nikon Z for one reason and one reason only, namely eyesight issues. I'm increasingly struggling with rangefinder focusing and sadly it's only going to get worse. I'm patient and will take great care in the selection of additional lenses for use on the Nikon. In the meantime I'll be testing one or two of my Leica M fit lenses on the Z, taking advantage of the ease of focus thanks to the wonderful EVF and hopefully adding the character of those wonderful M lenses.

I'm looking forward to testing the Nikon 85mm and 20mm f/1.8 S lenses.

I should add that I'm finding the Z7 body a joy to work with.

if you end up needing AF with your leica lenses, Techart is making an adapter for that: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/18/this-is-the-upcoming-techart-autofocus-lens-adapter-for-nikon-z-mount.aspx/?fbclid=IwAR0rUO1KF0c7kzCIT-acs4H85zH-Znj2T8khsKSQvhDfVvPbSITyM6n0ZZ8

I don't know much about it, but reviews on the E Sony cameras have been generally favorable.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

KLaban

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2019, 02:52:15 am »

if you end up needing AF with your leica lenses, Techart is making an adapter for that: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/18/this-is-the-upcoming-techart-autofocus-lens-adapter-for-nikon-z-mount.aspx/?fbclid=IwAR0rUO1KF0c7kzCIT-acs4H85zH-Znj2T8khsKSQvhDfVvPbSITyM6n0ZZ8

I don't know much about it, but reviews on the E Sony cameras have been generally favorable.

Many thanks, it is certainly a consideration.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2019, 03:49:06 am »

Is that adapter now available btw?

It was announced months ago but can it now be bought?

Cheers,
Bernard

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2019, 07:52:50 am »

Is that adapter now available btw?

It was announced months ago but can it now be bought?

Cheers,
Bernard

I don’t believe it is for sale yet. Video of it in action suggests that prototypes are in testing. From there it’s anyone’s guess when it’s released.

Dan Wells

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2019, 12:25:13 am »

Trying to add AF to non-AF lenses with what is effectively a variable extension tube seems tricky. If all the elements move to focus, then the tube is doing the same thing the lens' own helicoid would do. If, however, it's an internal-focusing lens that moves one group of elements in relation to another (or worse yet, a lens that has a primary focusing group plus a floating element or compensating group that moves a different distance, possibly in a different direction), the variable extension tube is focusing the lens in a simplified manner that it wasn't designed for.

Also, wouldn't it be hard to build an adapter that gave a meaningful amount of focusing travel for a longer lens, yet moved with enough precision for a shorter one?

Leica M lenses ameliorate these problems to some extent - they're relatively moderate focal lengths, and aren't many of them "move the whole lens" focusers? At least a few have floating elements, but the majority don't.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2019, 06:22:38 pm »

I have started to process the many images I shot last week with the Z7 and 14-30 f4/24-70 f2.8 S... and I like what I am seeing.

In short, the quality of the 24-70 f2.8 S is simply ming boggling. I haven’t found a single weakness yet. It is super sharp from near to infinity, has no visible CA, has a great soft bokeh, has better flare resistance than any prime I have used, super pure colors, fast focus, great build and feel,... just wow!

As expected, the 14-30 f4 is an amazing travel lens but it has a couple of weaknesses, in particular when shot at close range in the extreme corners. Sharpness remain decent but there is a very heavy light fall off the the extreme corners that is hard to correct. This is a lot less problematic when focusing farther. Keeping that in mind, I love the lens overall.

I am wondering how good the top S primes are going to be... starting with the Noct and 50mm f1.2.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:29:26 pm by BernardLanguillier »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2019, 10:04:30 pm »

I have started to process the many images I shot last week with the Z7 and 14-30 f4/24-70 f2.8 S... and I like what I am seeing.

In short, the quality of the 24-70 f2.8 S is simply ming boggling. I haven’t found a single weakness yet. It is super sharp from near to infinity, has no visible CA, has a great soft bokeh, has better flare resistance than any prime I have used, super pure colors, fast focus, great build and feel,... just wow!

As expected, the 14-30 f4 is an amazing travel lens but it has a couple of weaknesses, in particular when shot at close range in the extreme corners. Sharpness remain decent but there is a very heavy light fall off the the extreme corners that is hard to correct. This is a lot less problematic when focusing farther. Keeping that in mind, I love the lens overall.

I am wondering how good the top S primes are going to be... starting with the Noct and 50mm f1.2.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, does the 24-70 2.8 focus as close as the f/4?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2019, 02:25:00 am »

Bernard, does the 24-70 2.8 focus as close as the f/4?

0.3m for the f4, 0.38m for the f2.8. So not quite as close, but I haven't found this to be limiting.

Cheers,
Bernard

Manoli

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2019, 02:44:10 am »

I have started to process the many images I shot last week ...

Bernard,
Any feedback on how Eye-AF works with the the updated firmware?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2019, 03:25:47 am »

Bernard,
Any feedback on how Eye-AF works with the the updated firmware?

It will only be available on May 16th as far as I know.

The AF of the 24-70 f2.8 S is fast when tracking, the only issue is the identification of where it should focus. I am pretty sure that with the eye AF it's going to be top notch...

But we will know for sure after May 16th.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2019, 07:07:46 am »

Many thanks, it is certainly a consideration.

Keith, how does the shutter racket compare on your new Nikon with the Leica?

Another, broader question: many of the olde rangefinder stars appear to have focussed using the depth of field scales and the relative safety of f8; did that work out as practical for you? If it did/does, it makes the use of such cameras relatively simple as you wouldn't have to use the small focussing aids. Not that I am about to invest, but it might yet happen because the 50s M3 exposure has never quite left me alone...

About the only legacy of my last employer, other than his belief in his F, which I took up as soon as I could.

Rob

Manoli

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2019, 08:38:28 am »

But we will know for sure after May 16th.

Thanks Bernard, any feed back after the 16th appreciated!
Best,
M

KLaban

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2019, 09:47:44 am »

Keith, how does the shutter racket compare on your new Nikon with the Leica?

Another, broader question: many of the olde rangefinder stars appear to have focussed using the depth of field scales and the relative safety of f8; did that work out as practical for you? If it did/does, it makes the use of such cameras relatively simple as you wouldn't have to use the small focussing aids. Not that I am about to invest, but it might yet happen because the 50s M3 exposure has never quite left me alone...

About the only legacy of my last employer, other than his belief in his F, which I took up as soon as I could.

Rob

Rob, they are different sounds but much the same in terms of volume, but of course no mirror slapping about in either. The Nikon Z7 body also has a silent shooting mode using an electronic front-curtain shutter, but this can cause problems with moving subjects due to the rolling shutter.

I've used the DOF scales on the Leica lenses, typically when shooting interiors on a tripod when of course a small aperture is usually the order of the day. I also find my required minimum and maximum focus distances depending on the subject and then set the lens accordingly, plus a stop or two. For other work, for much of time, I'm shooting wide or near wide open when DOF scales are of no use.

I expected to be somewhat overwhelmed by the complexities of the Nikon, but the more I use the it the more I understand and appreciate the possibilities and capabilities. I'm taking things slowly and will take my time building a system to suit my needs.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:54:26 am by KLaban »

SrMi

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2019, 12:22:06 pm »

Rob, they are different sounds but much the same in terms of volume, but of course no mirror slapping about in either. The Nikon Z7 body also has a silent shooting mode using an electronic front-curtain shutter, but this can cause problems with moving subjects due to the rolling shutter.
<snip>

You are confusing electronic front-curtain shutter (EFCS) with electronic shutter (silent shooting). EFCS is useful to reduce shutter shock of the mechanical shutter (I have it always on) and silent shotting uses electronic shutter instead of the mechanical shutter. Because of slow readout speeds, silent shooting can cause problems with moving subjects.

KLaban

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2019, 01:21:14 pm »

You are confusing electronic front-curtain shutter (EFCS) with electronic shutter (silent shooting). EFCS is useful to reduce shutter shock of the mechanical shutter (I have it always on) and silent shotting uses electronic shutter instead of the mechanical shutter. Because of slow readout speeds, silent shooting can cause problems with moving subjects.

Thanks, I think I am.

I don't have EFCS permanently enabled because I often shoot above the 1/2000 second limit. Think wide open in bright light.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2019, 01:27:31 pm »

Thanks, I think I am.

I don't have EFCS permanently enabled because I often shoot above the 1/2000 second limit. Think wide open in bright light.

Since there is no mirror-slab anymore i am sure not enabling EFCS will do no harm at all...
Even on my d850 the problem is almost gone.( but on the d810 there indeed was a problem)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

SrMi

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2019, 02:15:18 pm »

Since there is no mirror-slab anymore i am sure not enabling EFCS will do no harm at all...
Even on my d850 the problem is almost gone.( but on the d810 there indeed was a problem)

Mirror slap and "shutter shock" are not related.

As measured and observed on Sonys and Nikon Zs, shooting without EFCS at lower shutter speeds has typically a negative impact on image quality.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25   Go Up