Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53327 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2019, 09:17:53 am »

Phase detect on the Sony A7r3 works at I think F8 at the smallest aperture and the A9 at I think F11. I may have the actual numbers incorrect but you get the idea. I’m fairly certain the eye focus system works on phase detect so it stands to reason when that system stops operating so does the eye detect.

I imagine Nikon runs on similar tech and has similar constraints so that would explain the issue perhaps.

That explains my observation and makes sense - thanks.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2019, 10:40:43 am »

One thing that bothers me about Z7 is the viewfinder eye detection. It is quite sensitive which is nice when all is good, but when it rains or snows, even a tiny droplet can activate it. And because it is quite protected it is difficult to wipe out clean; once even some condensation did it.

BJL

CFExpress and ProRes Raw output to Atomos recorders now available
« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2019, 11:24:44 am »

These two promised additions to the Z6 ad Z7 are available now:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/12/16/nikon-releases-long-awaited-raw-video-feature-upgrade-for-z7-z6-cameras

My guess is that at least part of the reason for the cost of adding ProRes Raw support is that Red recently won a legal dispute and is allowed to charge patent licensing fees for aspects of Apple's ProRes Raw.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2019, 01:13:04 pm »

One thing that bothers me about Z7 is the viewfinder eye detection. It is quite sensitive which is nice when all is good, but when it rains or snows, even a tiny droplet can activate it. And because it is quite protected it is difficult to wipe out clean; once even some condensation did it.

Not just the Nikon has that issue.  A real PITA when it occurs. Popping the lcd slightly over rides the eye detect and then the lcd stays on. Useful in an emergency. Perhaps the Nikon does the same?
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2019, 02:30:08 pm »

Not just the Nikon has that issue.  A real PITA when it occurs. Popping the lcd slightly over rides the eye detect and then the lcd stays on. Useful in an emergency. Perhaps the Nikon does the same?

I'll try it next time. With gloves it's a little tricky to pull it easily. This problem doesn't occur so often with my X-T2 though.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2019, 02:37:21 pm »

I'll try it next time. With gloves it's a little tricky to pull it easily. This problem doesn't occur so often with my X-T2 though.

I was going to ask why on earth you would take photos with gloves on but then I remembered that that is a thing. My hands are slippery with sweat this side of the equator.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2019, 04:01:58 pm »

A press on the finder button switches to rear screen only and fixes this.

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2019, 04:33:25 pm »

I was going to ask why on earth you would take photos with gloves on but then I remembered that that is a thing.
LuLa old-timers know that concern for ergonomics with gloves on is a core principle of this site—it is, after all, Canadian.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2019, 04:57:41 pm »

LuLa old-timers know that concern for ergonomics with gloves on is a core principle of this site—it is, after all, Canadian.

Indeed. Since joining Lula I always shoot with gloves.

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »

Indeed. Since joining Lula I always shoot with gloves.

Cheers,
Bernard

And a woolly hat!

;-)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2019, 07:09:47 pm »

When you are outside and the temperatures are under 30F even before the vicious windchill you don’t have an option to shoot without gloves, unless you want it to be a singular event.

jimh

• Jim H Photo
« Reply #291 on: December 17, 2019, 08:42:31 pm »

That has annoyed me too.  Just a tiny bit of crud, and it stops working. 

John R

« Reply #292 on: December 17, 2019, 09:18:51 pm »

That has annoyed me too.  Just a tiny bit of crud, and it stops working.
Hey Jim, just visited your site. You have really fine work. First rate.

JR

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »

I don’t like the auto switch function on any mirrorless camera. I’m too often annoyed by the system’s switching to eyepiece when I’m using the touch screen for something. I solve this on the Z cameras by restricting the viewfinder select button to “prioritize viewfinder” and “monitor only” so I can use the monitor select button to switch between the two when I want. The switch is instant, and it works even with gloves.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

SrMi

« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2019, 12:18:03 am »

Phase detect on the Sony A7r3 works at I think F8 at the smallest aperture and the A9 at I think F11. I may have the actual numbers incorrect but you get the idea. I’m fairly certain the eye focus system works on phase detect so it stands to reason when that system stops operating so does the eye detect.

I imagine Nikon runs on similar tech and has similar constraints so that would explain the issue perhaps.

It is never clear with Sony if they focus with working or fully open aperture (depends on firmware and lenses). When focusing at the working aperture, Sony switches to CDAF at a certain aperture. It is different with Nikon: it is always PDAF as it focuses at working aperture or f/5.6, whichever is wider.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #295 on: December 24, 2019, 07:41:38 am »

As I heroically resisted the temptation of buying the Z6 (sale + extras at BH), I was thinking of when should we expect the next generation and of what improvements would I want to see most.
I already have a Z7 and the main reasons for me to get the Z6 would be less megapixels and maybe better low light focus. I don't do enough video to appreciate what Z6 offers compared to Z7.
But then I realized that Nikon might actually upgrade the pixel count for a second generation Z6, how likely do you think this could be?
While I would appreciate a better focus and IBIS I don't want to deal with more pixels when I already have the Z7, so I might get that Z6 after all.

DP

« Reply #296 on: December 24, 2019, 10:18:17 am »

But then I realized that Nikon might actually upgrade the pixel count for a second generation Z6, how likely do you think this could be?
as likely as the thoughts were about  Sony Imaging upgrading the pixel count for A9 mk II  ;D

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #297 on: December 24, 2019, 10:27:46 am »

I would imaging we would see the z6 and Z7 grow apart with the 7 being the pixel monster and the 6 the high performance sport type body.

But then Nikon often surprises me, sometimes in a good way and sometimes not.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #298 on: December 24, 2019, 06:21:48 pm »

I would imaging we would see the z6 and Z7 grow apart with the 7 being the pixel monster and the 6 the high performance sport type body.

But then Nikon often surprises me, sometimes in a good way and sometimes not.

I don’t think so. I believe that Nikon will end up with 3 or 4 FF bodies and the Z6 II is likely to be the lowest end body. I see a Z9 competing with the a9.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #299 on: December 25, 2019, 05:51:00 pm »

I don’t think so. I believe that Nikon will end up with 3 or 4 FF bodies and the Z6 II is likely to be the lowest end body. I see a Z9 competing with the a9.

Cheers,
Bernard

You don't think the Z9 will be a 60+mp top-end pro shooter?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Up