Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53350 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2019, 10:58:51 pm »

Indeed, but it still is pretty light.

When I see that the new Canon 24-70mm f2.8 R at 900gr  is 100 gr heavier than its DSLR predecessor I wonder what the point is...

Cheers,
Bernard

Let's see how light the new Nikon 14-28 F2.8 S will be compared to the old version.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2019, 11:31:52 pm »

Let's see how light the new Nikon 14-28 F2.8 S will be compared to the old version.

Sure, at least the 24-70mm f2.8 S is both lighter, more compact and significantly better than its predecessor.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2019, 08:38:46 pm »

Nikon Z6 + 200mm f2.0 on FTS @ f2.0, VR off

I am officially impressed by the AF-C tracking performance of the Z6 with firmware 2.01.

Having done a slight fine tuning of the AF on the 200mm f2.0 (+3 only), I am now getting a very high ratio of tack sharp images on moving subjects in pretty dark environments. Very similar to what I have been getting with my D5, possibly better than the D850.

I don't get why anyone would have an issue with this level of AF performance. It's top notch.

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremyrh

« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2019, 03:48:26 am »

Hmm, well, I have been very happy with my Z7 but I just noticed that the rubber (or whatever) coating is starting to bubble off the panel below the card door. Apparently this is a common problem ("known issue"). That's disappointing. Also disappointing that it happened just as the warranty expired, and also that the duct tape I stuck over it has also come unstuck :-(  :-(  Maybe it's just cosmetic, but these things do affect the resale value at upgrade time.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2019, 05:12:48 am »

Hmm, well, I have been very happy with my Z7 but I just noticed that the rubber (or whatever) coating is starting to bubble off the panel below the card door. Apparently this is a common problem ("known issue"). That's disappointing. Also disappointing that it happened just as the warranty expired, and also that the duct tape I stuck over it has also come unstuck :-(  :-(  Maybe it's just cosmetic, but these things do affect the resale value at upgrade time.

Same problem here. I haven't had the time to request a fix.

The camera still works though. The only impact is a few points in resell value when the Z8 hits I guess.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:28:44 am by BernardLanguillier »

jeremyrh

« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2019, 11:51:14 am »

A non-scientific test I did with eye-AF makes me question my understanding of how it works. Or question my own eyes ....

I was standing across the street from someone, and took a look at how reliably the face/eye detection worked. I use back-button focus. What I think I saw was that with wide aperture the face/eye was detected reliably, but at narrow aperture I usually did not achieve that, and was given the set of red boxes covering the general outline.  Does that make sense? I'd have thought that the aperture is only relevant at the actual moment of pressing the shutter?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2019, 11:56:47 am »

A non-scientific test I did with eye-AF makes me question my understanding of how it works. Or question my own eyes ....

I was standing across the street from someone, and took a look at how reliably the face/eye detection worked. I use back-button focus. What I think I saw was that with wide aperture the face/eye was detected reliably, but at narrow aperture I usually did not achieve that, and was given the set of red boxes covering the general outline.  Does that make sense? I'd have thought that the aperture is only relevant at the actual moment of pressing the shutter?

Depends on wether you have selected picture effect on or whatever Nikon calls it. If you have then the camera is operating at the selected aperture and is not using max aperture and shutting down at moment of exposure like a traditional SLR. Actually it’s a tiny bit more complicated than that but that gives you the idea. It makes focus more difficult for all sorts of obvious reasons.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2019, 12:06:04 pm »

I would have to double check but I think the Z focuses at the actual aperture unless it's smaller than 5.6 in which case it focuses at 5.6 and then stops for the shot.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2019, 10:13:52 am »

At narrow apertures dof increases so at those distances it is probably immaterial whether one focuses on the iris, the lashes or the head, as the Z seems to understand.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2019, 02:39:43 am »

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2019, 03:07:10 am »

And Pro-Res Raw support will now be available for a $200 upgrade (send it in), which is IMO very important.

Indeed! I'll probably to the update on my Z6.

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremyrh

« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2019, 03:46:04 am »

Rob C

« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2019, 04:16:12 am »

At narrow apertures dof increases so at those distances it is probably immaterial whether one focuses on the iris, the lashes or the head, as the Z seems to understand.

Yep, and unless you are habitually and naturally into special effects, the way many people shoot.

Thanks for underlining my scepticism regarding all this hyper focus nonsense that parts people from their cash!

:-)

(Sorry, tech fiends, just couldn't help myself! Needed a happy note before going out to face the world this morning.)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2019, 04:19:22 am »

I'm still running 2.01 and doubt I'll bother updating to either 2.10 or 2.20.

EDIT: Unless someone here can persuade me otherwise.

;-)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:30:57 am by KLaban »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2019, 05:17:02 am »

I'm still running 2.01 and doubt I'll bother updating to either 2.10 or 2.20.

EDIT: Unless someone here can persuade me otherwise.

;-)

As mentioned, I feel a lot happier since applying 2.10. My life is more fulfilling and I see more saturated colors around.

Did I mention I swallowed the memory card with the 2.10 loaded?

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2019, 05:33:31 am »

As mentioned, I feel a lot happier since applying 2.10. My life is more fulfilling and I see more saturated colors around.

Did I mention I swallowed the memory card with the 2.10 loaded?

Cheers,
Bernard

;D

jeremyrh

« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2019, 05:41:09 am »

Yes, but the question was not whether I want to achieve accurate eye focus at small apertures, but how is the aperture part of the camera's eye detection capability?  Does the camera software really think "well, this guy has set eye detection to ON but the clown is shooting at f/8, so I'll just focus on any old thing"?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2019, 05:53:24 am »

Yes, but the question was not whether I want to achieve accurate eye focus at small apertures, but how is the aperture part of the camera's eye detection capability?  Does the camera software really think "well, this guy has set eye detection to ON but the clown is shooting at f/8, so I'll just focus on any old thing"?

Yes, the firmware has an explicit mention of "clown".

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #279 on: December 17, 2019, 07:53:40 am »

Phase detect on the Sony A7r3 works at I think F8 at the smallest aperture and the A9 at I think F11. I may have the actual numbers incorrect but you get the idea. I’m fairly certain the eye focus system works on phase detect so it stands to reason when that system stops operating so does the eye detect.

I imagine Nikon runs on similar tech and has similar constraints so that would explain the issue perhaps.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up