Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53320 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2019, 01:15:02 pm »

To my eye that video looks great. No issues.

Thanks, Martin. I’ve been quite happy with the Z cameras’ performance for video.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

John R

« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2019, 04:04:27 pm »

I'd love to hear from someone actively shooting video with these new cameras.  I hear complaints about poor realtime autofocus in video and about noisy preamps in the audio section.

I'd be using my legacy F lenses, 24-85 and 70-200 mostly.
I couldn't rent the Z camera in Toronto without buying the new expensive card. Bummer. Peter, I would be very interested in your experiences with the use of the older Nikon lenses. I have a few.

Thanks, JR

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2019, 09:08:31 pm »

I couldn't rent the Z camera in Toronto without buying the new expensive card. Bummer. Peter, I would be very interested in your experiences with the use of the older Nikon lenses. I have a few.

Thanks, JR

John, older Nikkor lenses work very well for still photography, as long as they have a focus motor. (The D-series lenses have no motor, so they don’t autofocus.)

I have the 24-70 f/2.8G, 70-200 f2.8 vr2, 10mm DX fisheye, 12-24mm f/4.0 DX, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, and the new 300mm f/4.0 PF. All work just as well on my Z7 and Z6 with the FTZ adapter as on my D810. The Sigma 105mm macro also works well.

I have a set of ais Nikkor primes covering 20mm through 300mm, All work very well with manual focus and peaking, but sadly, the FTZ doesn’t index them, so even though you set the max aperture, the cameras don’t report the aperture in metadata. They do meter correctly in aperture priority.

Video autofocus with the AF f-mount lenses I own is fine, but most of them are too noisy to use on a sound shoot. The exceptions are the 70-200, the 10mm fisheye, and the 300mm PF.

John R

« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2019, 12:56:36 am »

John, older Nikkor lenses work very well for still photography, as long as they have a focus motor. (The D-series lenses have no motor, so they don’t autofocus.)

I have the 24-70 f/2.8G, 70-200 f2.8 vr2, 10mm DX fisheye, 12-24mm f/4.0 DX, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, and the new 300mm f/4.0 PF. All work just as well on my Z7 and Z6 with the FTZ adapter as on my D810. The Sigma 105mm macro also works well.

I have a set of ais Nikkor primes covering 20mm through 300mm, All work very well with manual focus and peaking, but sadly, the FTZ doesn’t index them, so even though you set the max aperture, the cameras don’t report the aperture in metadata. They do meter correctly in aperture priority.

Video autofocus with the AF f-mount lenses I own is fine, but most of them are too noisy to use on a sound shoot. The exceptions are the 70-200, the 10mm fisheye, and the 300mm PF.
Thank you for that info, David. I want to take the plunge, but I at least want to try the camera because I want to ensure it is suitable and light enough for what I do. I did encounter a person on my walks with the Z6 and was pleasantly surprised on how small the camera is. It bothers me to no end that I can't get simple extension tubes for my Pentax! I was going to buy the full frame K1. But if noone is going to support it, this is my chance jump into Mirrorless.

Thanks again.

JR

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2019, 04:10:22 am »

Firmware updates 2.01 for Z6 & Z7 now available.

Z6

Z7

John Camp

« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »

I'm amused by the fact that if you Google something like "Nikon z f1.8 85mm lens" you will find all kinds of "reviews" by people who don't have one yet. The reviews are good.

Rob C

« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2019, 09:06:55 am »

I'm amused by the fact that if you Google something like "Nikon z f1.8 85mm lens" you will find all kinds of "reviews" by people who don't have one yet. The reviews are good.

They learn from politicians.

Everything is cool until it explodes in your face, as it were.

:-)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2019, 01:07:38 pm »

Video autofocus with the AF f-mount lenses I own is fine, but most of them are too noisy to use on a sound shoot. The exceptions are the 70-200...

I just tested a 70-200 F4 on a Z7 body.  AF is unusable for sound shoots due to focus motor noise.  A pal reported similar symptoms with his 70-200 F2.8.

It looks like video shooters will have to wait for the 70-200 S, due "real soon now". :)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2019, 01:44:37 pm »

I just tested a 70-200 F4 on a Z7 body.  AF is unusable for sound shoots due to focus motor noise.  A pal reported similar symptoms with his 70-200 F2.8.

It looks like video shooters will have to wait for the 70-200 S, due "real soon now". :)

You are right about that. I had forgotten that when I’ve used the 70-200 f/2.8 for video shoots it’s been with manual focus. I much prefer manual focus for video shooting, but that’s not really possible with a small gimbal, so autofocus has become a valuable function in that realm.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2019, 07:38:39 pm »

I have recently added a Z6 to my line up for lower light shooting, now with firmware 2.01.

Last night I shot around 2,000 images on it with one battery and still had 2/5 of battery left...

Lenses were 200mm f2.0, 500mm f5.6 and 105mm f1.4. VR off.

I was also impressed with the AF. On the 105mm f1.4, which is the only lens I had the time to focust adjust, I am getting a ratio of AF-Ced tack sharp images probably higher than what I was getting with my D5 with this lens... very impressed.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:24:16 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2019, 07:06:11 am »

I have recently added a Z6 to my line up for lower light shooting, now with firmware 2.01.

Last night I shot around 2,000 images on it with one battery and still had 2/5 of battery left...

Lenses were 200mm f2.0, 500mm f5.6 and 105mm f1.4. VR off.

I was also impressed with the AF. On the 105mm f1.4, which is the only lens I had the time to focust adjust, I am getting a ratio of AF-Ced tack sharp images probably higher than what I was getting with my D5 with this lens... very impressed.

Cheers,
Bernard

Nice one Bernard.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2019, 02:21:28 pm »

I contemplated adding the Z6, particularly as I don't need the megapixels from Z7 but the more time passes I find it hard to justify instead of waiting for the next generation (or switching to another mount). Z7 has an ok focus, although at times it's quite frustrating. For example, in AF-S the wide-s or wide-l area are too unreliable. You can use either the smaller ones, accurate but slower to get where you want it, or the widest but it's not that smart so in the end not that fast either.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2019, 07:37:53 pm »

Nice one Bernard.

Not sure what that means.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:31 pm »

I contemplated adding the Z6, particularly as I don't need the megapixels from Z7 but the more time passes I find it hard to justify instead of waiting for the next generation (or switching to another mount). Z7 has an ok focus, although at times it's quite frustrating. For example, in AF-S the wide-s or wide-l area are too unreliable. You can use either the smaller ones, accurate but slower to get where you want it, or the widest but it's not that smart so in the end not that fast either.

I have not done a side to side comparison, but the Z6 with firmware 2.01 felt significantly better AF wise than what I remembered of the Z7 with 2.0.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2019, 07:43:24 pm »

Not sure what that means.

Cheers,
Bernard

I think adding the Z6 to the system is a good idea and I am pleased you were able to do that.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2019, 10:16:13 pm »

I think adding the Z6 to the system is a good idea and I am pleased you were able to do that.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2019, 02:06:31 am »

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63018799

The official BCN Data do not include Yodobashi and Map camera, the two most relevant camera stores in Japan.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2019, 07:47:57 pm »

The new 85 for the Z cameras will be out in a week or so. What are the chances that there'll be enough of them to meet the initial demand? I noticed that they're about an inch longer than my 85G, which is not what I expected in a camera system that's supposed to emphasize compactness. On the other hand, they're slightly slimmer. I haven't pre-ordered, because I hate that deal when you do, then the merchant doesn't get any in for six month...but as soon as I see that one is in stock, I will.

Dan Wells

« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2019, 08:02:46 pm »

That sounds like a similar error to reporting US camera sales volume without B&H and Adorama... Not only would you miss a substantial chunk of volume, you'd disproportionately miss higher-end camera sales.

If you look at Amazon's top 100 selling digital cameras, many are point and shoots (including a lot of no-brand specials), the first full-frame camera appears at #37 (A7 III), and there are only 5 full-frame cameras (A7III, EOS 6D II and 5D IV, D850 and A7rIV - plus a couple of upper-end Fujis rounding out the more expensive cameras) on the whole list.

Here's Amazon's #1 selling camera of all (as of Aug. 26, 2019):

AbergBest 21 Mega Pixels 2.7" LCD Rechargeable HD Digital Camera,Video camera Digital Students cameras,Indoor Outdoor for Adult/Seniors/Kids (Black).

Five of the top 10 are cheap point and shoots (two no-names, an Elph, a $118 Sony and a Canon long zoom), plus the latest RX100, a trail camera and three Rebels.

On the same list from B&H, you get 33 full-frame cameras (all of the major models, in different variations), six of which are in the top ten best sellers. The  A7rIV is the #1 seller, and the D850 is in the top ten. Neither of those two pricey high-res bodies cracked the top 50 on Amazon.

Another interesting piece of perspective is that no medium-format camera cracked the top 100 on B&H, when there were three versions each of the A7rIII and Z7, plus two versions of the D850 and one of the D810. The A7rIV only showed up once, but at #1 overall. Even the Q2 appeared... Oddly, the best-selling medium format camera was not a GFX (I would have expected the 50R, or maybe the 100) - it was the X1D II at #122.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:18:23 pm by Dan Wells »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »

The new 85 for the Z cameras will be out in a week or so. What are the chances that there'll be enough of them to meet the initial demand? I noticed that they're about an inch longer than my 85G, which is not what I expected in a camera system that's supposed to emphasize compactness. On the other hand, they're slightly slimmer. I haven't pre-ordered, because I hate that deal when you do, then the merchant doesn't get any in for six month...but as soon as I see that one is in stock, I will.

Indeed, but it still is pretty light.

When I see that the new Canon 24-70mm f2.8 R at 900gr  is 100 gr heavier than its DSLR predecessor I wonder what the point is...

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up