Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53334 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2019, 01:27:06 pm »

Thanks.

This issue has no impact on the images or workflow. I've even tried deleting the corresponding .xmp file and it makes no difference whatsoever. It's just annoying and is stirring my OCD.

On an upbeat note, I've just tried the Z7 eye/face detection and couldn't be happier. I had my wife dancing round our terrace with me following her every move, 50mm S lens wide open at f/1.8 - super thin DOF - and didn't miss a shot with the eye really sharp in every exposure.

Mind blowing stuff.

Yes, I just produced (and shot) a PSA campaign for the state’s 911 Emergency Response System. I shot on a Z6 mounted on a gimbal so camera and talent were constantly moving. One scene was lit by two incandescent bulbs as practical lights, and the camera held focus brilliantly at f2.0 on the 35 and 50mm primes. For video, one of the features of the Z cameras I appreciate most is the ability to adjust the speed of autofocus response. I used it to good effect on this campaign. I can’t post the work yet, be
Cause it hasn’t been released yet, but I will when I can.

On the xml issue, does unchoosing the “use sidecar” option stop ACR from creating them?
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2019, 02:06:29 pm »

Yes, I just produced (and shot) a PSA campaign for the state’s 911 Emergency Response System. I shot on a Z6 mounted on a gimbal so camera and talent were constantly moving. One scene was lit by two incandescent bulbs as practical lights, and the camera held focus brilliantly at f2.0 on the 35 and 50mm primes. For video, one of the features of the Z cameras I appreciate most is the ability to adjust the speed of autofocus response. I used it to good effect on this campaign. I can’t post the work yet, be
Cause it hasn’t been released yet, but I will when I can.

On the xml issue, does unchoosing the “use sidecar” option stop ACR from creating them?

Thanks, I wish it did, but it doesn't.

DP

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2019, 11:39:29 pm »

Thanks, I wish it did, but it doesn't.
but if they were already created by Adobe software changing it back will not remove them.

KLaban

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2019, 04:55:30 am »

but if they were already created by Adobe software changing it back will not remove them.

What I mean is that changing the setting doesn't subsequently stop the .xmp being produced on new shots.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2019, 06:41:06 am »

What I mean is that changing the setting doesn't subsequently stop the .xmp being produced on new shots.

I don’t use Bridge & Photoshop, but I wonder if, in that workflow, there might be two places where the “create xml” option can be chosen and one of them is still checked?

KLaban

« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2019, 08:01:10 am »

I don’t use Bridge & Photoshop, but I wonder if, in that workflow, there might be two places where the “create xml” option can be chosen and one of them is still checked?

The options are the same in Adobe Bridge and Photoshop, alter on one and it also changes the other: they are in sync.

As I've said the xmp files are not on the memory cards (checked in Windows Explorer). They only appear once the images are downloaded to Adobe Bridge and before they are opened in Bridge or opening in Photoshop. This leads me to believe this is an Adobe Bridge issue.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2019, 08:36:39 am »

The options are the same in Adobe Bridge and Photoshop, alter on one and it also changes the other: they are in sync.

As I've said the xmp files are not on the memory cards (checked in Windows Explorer). They only appear once the images are downloaded to Adobe Bridge and before they are opened in Bridge or opening in Photoshop. This leads me to believe this is an Adobe Bridge issue.

That makes sense. It sounds like a bug. I do have Bridge, so I’ll test later today to see if I can recreate the issue (though it might be version-dependent).

DP

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2019, 10:04:14 am »

As I've said the xmp files are not on the memory cards (checked in Windows Explorer).
Nikon firmware is exonerated, I knew from the very beginning the whole idea was clearly a fake news plot by Canon and/or Sony fans !

DP

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2019, 10:08:22 am »

They only appear once the images are downloaded to Adobe Bridge and before they are opened in Bridge or opening in Photoshop. This leads me to believe this is an Adobe Bridge issue.

in my case the menu item for ACR preferences in Bridge invokes the options dialog that syncs with ACR... so you change it in Bridge it changes in ACR and vice versa....

KLaban

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2019, 11:05:24 am »

in my case the menu item for ACR preferences in Bridge invokes the options dialog that syncs with ACR... so you change it in Bridge it changes in ACR and vice versa....

Same with mine.

John R

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2019, 11:29:35 pm »

Did a test last night with the 105mm f1.4 at f1.4 on the Z7 in a darkish room, worst color balance of the house (around 1500K), ISO 5,000, eyes in the shadows, AF-C auto mode, near minimal focusing distance of the lens (DoF is probably around 2-3mm), her moving a bit -> 60% of images were perfectly focused on the iris, 20% was on the eye lash, 20% was a bit out of focus.

As far as I am concerned these are the worst conditions I would ever want to use the lens in and this rate of success is way higher than what I would have gotten with normal AF or MF... on the D5.

I did other tests in the same conditions about 2m away from the subject and 100% were in perfect focus.

This upgrade is simply game changing.

Now I have continued to test and have come across one case where initial face acquisition was a challenge in a strongly backlit situation. I had to guide the camera by positioning the tracking box on top of the face. Other tests in similar conditions didn’t generate the same problem.

Cheers,
Bernard
Bernard this wedding Pro has some interesting things to say about the Nikon Z6 eye focus feature. Does not think it works right and has problems even with the firmware upgrade. Nevertheless he loves the Z6 and has four of them. This feature does not concern me much but obviously is a concern for users like you and Keith. I am enjoying this thread and learning from what you, Keith and others, and plan to buy either the Z6 or Z7. Thanks for posting all your findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXEMXRev54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IaN1tIQya0

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2019, 01:50:58 am »

Bernard this wedding Pro has some interesting things to say about the Nikon Z6 eye focus feature. Does not think it works right and has problems even with the firmware upgrade. Nevertheless he loves the Z6 and has four of them. This feature does not concern me much but obviously is a concern for users like you and Keith. I am enjoying this thread and learning from what you, Keith and others, and plan to buy either the Z6 or Z7. Thanks for posting all your findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXEMXRev54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IaN1tIQya0

Yes, upon further usage, it does catch the eye lash in more cases that I'd love it too, but overall still at least as good as non eye-AF on moving subjects.

On static objects up close, it's possible to get more consistent results with pin point AF.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:08:49 am by BernardLanguillier »

KLaban

« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2019, 03:30:18 am »

I've only tested eye AF on the Z7 once. I had my wife dancing round the terrace with me following. I initiated the series by selecting the preferred eye and held focus, tracking that eye for the entire series. The result - much to my wife's annoyance - was perfect focus on a bloodshot eye throughout the series.

Beginners luck?

;-)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2019, 04:19:15 am »

Beginners luck?

Raw talent? :)

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2019, 04:31:52 am »

Raw talent? :)

Cheers,
Bernard

;D

I should add that my tests were shot using the 50 f/1.8 S shot wide open, which impressed me all the more given the shallow DOF.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2019, 07:25:08 am »

Using the current CC version of Bridge and Camera Raw, I cant replicate the behavior. But I did notice that the switch to turn the xml sidecar off is a choice between using xml or the camera raw database. Is it possible that the camera Raw database is missing or compromised on your computer?

KLaban

« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:42 am »

Using the current CC version of Bridge and Camera Raw, I cant replicate the behavior. But I did notice that the switch to turn the xml sidecar off is a choice between using xml or the camera raw database. Is it possible that the camera Raw database is missing or compromised on your computer?

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions, they are very much appreciated.

When uploading images through Adobe Bridge Photo Downloader I usually as a matter of course apply my metadata which includes my name. email, website address and copyright info. I’ve been doing this for years and have never had as much as a sniff of an .xmp file. Prior to last week I had also been doing this for a couple of months with the Nikon .nef files, again without triggering .xmp files.

BUT…I’ve just tried uploading new .nef files without applying my metadata and joy of joy the result is no .xmp files.

It seems for some unknown reason my metadata is now triggering .xmp files and in doing so is also showing within them Nikon’s built in corrections.

So, I believe the issue is now solved. If I want my metadata attached to the images I get .xmp files, if I don’t want .xmp files then I shouldn’t attach my metadata to the images at the download stage.

I’m truly grateful to everyone who has helped me through this and wish you all the best and good shooting.

Keith

John Camp

« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2019, 07:13:00 pm »

I've had my Z6 for a couple of months now, and I have to say that I've been suitably impressed. However, the more I shot with it, the more I couldn't believe that Nikon didn't produce a 70-200 f/4 as one of the initial release lenses. The 24-70 is an excellent lens, and something in the lower 20s was often the widest many photographers used back in the day. The 24-70 covers that, but the Z really needs the longer lens, too. The original set, IMHO, should have been the 24-70 and an f/4 70-200, skipping the short zoom and the 50 if they had to skip something. The two f/4 zooms (24-70 and 70-200) more or less constitute a "kit" that would cover most things for most shooters. I specify f/4 because they can be relatively compact, and one of the raisons d' etre of mirrorless is compactness. Now I find that the next Z 70-200 will be an f/2.8, which almost certainly won't be very compact, and there really isn't an f/4 on the map. I think Nikon has taken a wrong turn here.

I've suggested what the first two lenses should have been, and I think the third lens should have been the 85 which apparently is still months away -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it's well into 2020 before we can get our hands on one here in the states; and the same for the f/2.8 70-200. In fact, I think those three lenses (24-70, 70-200, 85) should have come out with the initial body release. I find it odd that months after the initial release, the longest native lens for the Z is a 70...

I have an F-mount f2/8 70-200 that I use with my D800, and I have the adapter (which I've only really used with the 85G I use on my D800) but the combo of the adapter and the older f2/8 make a really awkward combo with the Z, with the lens and adapter bigger than the camera.

I do like the Z, but when I'm heading out, I now find that I'm picking up my older M4/3 bag more often than the Z. I've got a full range of lenses in m4/3, including 2 f/0.95s when I want them. It would be nice if I could say that about the Z, but according to the Z rumor sites, that won't be at least for two or three years or even longer before we have even a basic set of native lenses. 

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2019, 08:31:08 pm »

Hi John,

I share your views.

Nikon picked the right strategy with compact high quality lenses matching the body size and intent, but there are some obvious holes and a native 70-200mm f4 should be there together with a bokeh perfect 85mm f1.8 in the same class as the amazing 50mm f1.8 S.

Their strategy would also be a lot more clear if they added to the roadmap a 85mm f1.2 (I would release it before the 50mm f1.2) and 28 or 35mm f1.2. I would start by 28mm f1.2 since they already have a 35mm f1.8.

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2019, 12:18:55 am »

I've had my Z6 for a couple of months now, and I have to say that I've been suitably impressed. However, the more I shot with it, the more I couldn't believe that Nikon didn't produce a 70-200 f/4 as one of the initial release lenses. The 24-70 is an excellent lens, and something in the lower 20s was often the widest many photographers used back in the day. The 24-70 covers that, but the Z really needs the longer lens, too. The original set, IMHO, should have been the 24-70 and an f/4 70-200, skipping the short zoom and the 50 if they had to skip something. The two f/4 zooms (24-70 and 70-200) more or less constitute a "kit" that would cover most things for most shooters. I specify f/4 because they can be relatively compact, and one of the raisons d' etre of mirrorless is compactness. Now I find that the next Z 70-200 will be an f/2.8, which almost certainly won't be very compact, and there really isn't an f/4 on the map. I think Nikon has taken a wrong turn here.

I've suggested what the first two lenses should have been, and I think the third lens should have been the 85 which apparently is still months away -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it's well into 2020 before we can get our hands on one here in the states; and the same for the f/2.8 70-200. In fact, I think those three lenses (24-70, 70-200, 85) should have come out with the initial body release. I find it odd that months after the initial release, the longest native lens for the Z is a 70...

I have an F-mount f2/8 70-200 that I use with my D800, and I have the adapter (which I've only really used with the 85G I use on my D800) but the combo of the adapter and the older f2/8 make a really awkward combo with the Z, with the lens and adapter bigger than the camera.

I do like the Z, but when I'm heading out, I now find that I'm picking up my older M4/3 bag more often than the Z. I've got a full range of lenses in m4/3, including 2 f/0.95s when I want them. It would be nice if I could say that about the Z, but according to the Z rumor sites, that won't be at least for two or three years or even longer before we have even a basic set of native lenses.

While waiting for a Z 70-200 f/4, consider using AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 if you do not care about the extra stop. The new 70-300 (including FTZ) is aproximately the same size and weight as the old 70-200 f/4 and delivers similar image quality.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up