Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53356 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2019, 02:55:17 am »

As a panorama-photographer- i miss the sensor-center marks on the Zelda-L bracket- or am i wrong?
They are essential for me. ( of course you can make them yourself, but that takes some work)

I read that first as a paranormal photographer, but yes, you are quite right, there are no center marks on the Zelda.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2019, 03:44:03 am »

I read that first as a paranormal photographer, but yes, you are quite right, there are no center marks on the Zelda.
a paranormal photographer would not need to ask ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2019, 03:58:46 am »

It's our eyes! So did I!

Must be the Steve Huff influence. :-)

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2019, 04:19:14 am »

I bought the 3 LEGGED THING ZELDA-C DEDICATED L-BRACKET FOR NIKON Z SERIES CAMERAS. Beautiful piece of engineering, made in the UK apparently at the request of Nikon. Available in differing finishes, I chose the grey.

Same here, but I got the orange one - harder to lose :-)

One slightly annoying thing - the release cable socket on a Z7 is at the left of the camera (is it the same on all cameras?) so if you use an L-bracket in portrait mode it can be a nuisance to mount the camera with the cable attached - it tends to interfere with the ball-head.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:23:59 am by jeremyrh »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2019, 04:35:29 am »

One slightly annoying thing - the release cable socket on a Z7 is at the left of the camera (is it the same on all cameras?) so if you use an L-bracket in portrait mode it can be a nuisance to mount the camera with the cable attached - it tends to interfere with the ball-head.
I agree- i use it all the time- fortunately my d850 still has a front socket...
It is a pity Nikon does not seem to be able to make a perfect wifi solution for triggering...
The latest SnapBridge is a slight improvement, but no camranger quality.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2019, 04:53:42 am »

With the L bracket in place and when working in portrait orientation I attach the camera somewhat off center. No problems with interference with my Arca-Swiss P0, but there again it is a very compact head.

KLaban

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2019, 04:55:25 am »

a paranormal photographer would not need to ask ;)

;D

jeremyrh

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2019, 06:02:24 am »

I agree- i use it all the time- fortunately my d850 still has a front socket...
It is a pity Nikon does not seem to be able to make a perfect wifi solution for triggering...
The latest SnapBridge is a slight improvement, but no camranger quality.

I have given up on SnapBridge. It worked fine first time, but then such a faff to connect to the camera. I just downloaded cascable, which I haven't tested yet, but I am hoping for improvement!!

david.watson@btinternet.com

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2019, 01:01:54 pm »

One of the things I disliked about my Nikon DSLR's was the remote cable release connection.  It was fiddly to use and screw in and if I left it connected it was prone to snap off in my camera bag.  I tried the IR remote but didn't get on with it.  One of the things I really like about the Z7 is that the release now plugs into a socket on the side.

I agree that this is a problem with a conventional L Plate when shooting vertically.  However I bought a really inexpensive L Plate which allows you to space the plate away from the camera body easily.  I now use the tiny Nikon Wr series remote release and when using the camera on location with a tripod I just leave it plugged in.  Works a treat for me anyway.  I bought it for £17.99 on Amazon UK (much cheaper than Kirk and RRS).  Here is the link for the UK site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L1GNK11/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I have attachhed a bad pic od the Z7 with the L Plate and WRR10 remote receiver
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:16:00 pm by david.watson@btinternet.com »

SrMi

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2019, 08:20:29 pm »

I have given up on SnapBridge. It worked fine first time, but then such a faff to connect to the camera. I just downloaded cascable, which I haven't tested yet, but I am hoping for improvement!!

When was the last time you tried SnapBridge? The latest version connects reliably via BT (Z 7). The connection via WiFi (for remote) is straightforward if already connected via BT.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2019, 10:26:17 pm »

When was the last time you tried SnapBridge? The latest version connects reliably via BT (Z 7). The connection via WiFi (for remote) is straightforward if already connected via BT.

Since 2.5.2 snapbridge has been working perfectly for me.

Cheers,
Bernard

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2019, 10:56:43 pm »

Since 2.5.2 snapbridge has been working perfectly for me.

Cheers,
Bernard

Does it allow painless switching between two devices? I have an iPad and an iPhone, both of which I'd ike to use with the Z7 at different times, but it seems that every time I try to switch devices, I have to factory reset the camera to make it work. Does 2.5.2 make that easier? (or you know a trick for that?)
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Dan Wells

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2019, 11:09:17 pm »

I talked to some Nikon reps yesterday, and got some tidbits that may be of use to my fellow Z enthusiasts:

Firmware on track for the 16th of this month - eye AF, etc.

This firmware may not contain the CF Express update.

When the CF Express update comes, the cameras will be able to recognize both XQD and CF Express  cards - just stick a card in and the camera knows what it has. It won't require switching anything in a menu, and it certainly won't make XQD unusable.

And from a memory card manufacturer rep: CF Express cards will be out "a few weeks after" the firmware update that enables them, and about 20% cheaper than XQD.

faberryman

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2019, 07:38:13 am »

And from a memory card manufacturer rep: CF Express cards will be out "a few weeks after" the firmware update that enables them, and about 20% cheaper than XQD.

And another Sony proprietary format will sail off into the horizon.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2019, 09:33:31 am »

And another Sony proprietary format will sail off into the horizon.

Nikon was clearly a lot more right selecting XQD than Canon selecting CFast... talk about a waste of money for all the photographers who trusted them...

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2019, 09:57:03 am »

Nikon was clearly a lot more right selecting XQD than Canon selecting CFast... talk about a waste of money for all the photographers who trusted them...

No need to be defensive. I'm not faulting Nikon for selecting XQD. If they were going to more away from SD, they needed a bridge before CF Express (the successor to XQD) was ready. And they were already using them in the D5, D500, and D850. The question is when CF Express compatibility is implemented are users going to continue to purchase XQD cards, which are slower and more expensive.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:49:33 pm by faberryman »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2019, 11:02:48 am »

If XQD and CF Express are cross compatible then I guess it depends on the price/performance for specific cards.

KLaban

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2019, 12:23:16 pm »

If XQD and CF Express are cross compatible then I guess it depends on the price/performance for specific cards.

Will CF Express be readable in a XQD card reader?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2019, 06:53:09 pm »

No need to be defensive. I'm not faulting Nikon for selecting XQD. If they were going to more away from SD, they needed a bridge before CF Express (the successor to XQD) was ready. And they were already using them in the D5, D500, and D850. The question is when CF Express compatibility is implemented are users going to continue to purchase XQD cards, which are slower and more expensive.

Why is it problematic whether users keep buying XQD cards when compatibility and smooth transition to CF Express is ensured?

How is it demonstrating a lack of future proofness on Sony's part or on the part of the companies who selected the XQD format?

There were 2 next gen formats available 5 years ago, XQD and CFast. XQD was the right option, simple as that. The companies that selected CFast (Canon and Hasselblad) made the wrong choice and their users end up with very expensive cards that will soon be worth nothing. I am one of them and not particularly happy.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:44:40 pm by BernardLanguillier »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2019, 07:16:28 pm »

Will CF Express be readable in a XQD card reader?

I guess it depends if you can upgrade the firmware. But a reader is not that expensive, I would think it's more important that the camera supports both.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up