Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53336 times)

Dan Wells

Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2019, 12:55:31 am »

Just got my 14-30 - it's a tiny little thing for a zoom in that range (not really any bigger than most ~14mm primes, and completely different from, say, a 14-24 Nikkor). Can't wait to try it out...

Dan

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2019, 04:01:54 am »

Just got my 14-30 - it's a tiny little thing for a zoom in that range (not really any bigger than most ~14mm primes, and completely different from, say, a 14-24 Nikkor). Can't wait to try it out...

Dan

...please, let us know your findings.

KLaban

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2019, 04:07:01 am »

Either of the Zeiss lenses are very good, but they are significantly heavier than the Nikon 20mm and manual focus. If it were me (and it’s not) I’d try out the 14-30 native zoom I received mine this week, and initial tests are making me very happy. I expect the native 20mm that’s on the roadmap to make me even happier.

I'm certainly keeping an open mind regarding the 14-30.

There have been shoots in the past when I would have killed for the flexibility in focal length that this lens offers.

Thanks, you have my attention, I'm watching with interest.

KLaban

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2019, 04:08:28 am »

Somehow I have received it... such a nice camera and in pristine condition! Can I keep it? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Sure, the invoice is in the post.

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2019, 04:17:58 am »

Somehow I have received it... such a nice camera and in pristine condition! Can I keep it? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Oh, you mean you're finally going to post some actual quality images for once?

;-)   ;-)    ;-)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2019, 09:09:49 am »

Oh, you mean you're finally going to post some actual quality images for once?

If owning a Leica were enough to take great pictures we’d have run out of dentists for years. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2019, 11:27:56 am »

If owning a Leica were enough to take great pictures we’d have run out of dentists for years. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

That’s actually very funny.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2019, 04:12:58 pm »

Thanks.

I'm in two four minds as to what to do.

I could buy the AF-S-NIKKOR-20mm-F1.8-G-ED and use it with the FTZ which would add to the size and weight. Or I could go for the 14-30 f4 for the flexibility. Or I could for the time being carry on using a Leica body in combination with the 21 Super-Elmar until the 20 1.8 S Z series is released. The 14-28 2.8 S Z Series is likely to be too big and heavy.

Or, as I mentioned in an earlier post I could go for either the 18 or 21 Zeiss Milivus in combination with the FTZ but that would again increase the heft and girth. The problem here is I've no idea how good these are and how they'd perform on the Z7.

Scratches head in confusion, but it's a nice problem to have.

Have you considered renting those lenses and make your own tests?

KLaban

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2019, 05:38:13 pm »

Have you considered renting those lenses and make your own tests?

Ultimately it's what I do.

John Camp

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:21 am »

Got my Z6. I've used Nikons since the 70s, though lately I've been working with m4/3. The camera felt immediately familiar and was barely larger (frontal aspect) than my GX8s. (Quite a bit thicker and heavier, though); I was walking around with it dangling from my fingers in no time. (Love the grip; ergos are a big thing with me.) Even the menus and options felt pretty familiar -- there were just more variations of the same thing. There must be what, a dozen or more options for shooting combinations of raw and jpg; that's not really different than the old choice of either raw or jpg or both, there are just more of them. I got the "kit" zoom, but haven't really done much yet. They're still not offering the short zoom either at B&H or Amazon. Still, familiar as it is, there will be a learning curve. Can't wait to get at it. I ordered two more batteries; the one in the box took two hours to charge, so, I think more is necessary. Anybody know how long an unused battery will hold a charge? I like the tiltable view screen -- I think I will eventually like it better than my fully-flexible GX8 screen, which has to be swung out to flex...Interesting camera.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2019, 02:11:41 am »

Anybody know how long an unused battery will hold a charge?

I don't have an accurate answer, but I would say many weeks if not a few months.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2019, 06:14:35 am »

I don't have an accurate answer, but I would say many weeks if not a few months.

Cheers,
Bernard

What has surprised me about the batteries for my D200 and D700 (same ones) is that even unused for months, though I have started to try and remember to rotate them, they continue to function perfectly; my D200 was apparently the first one on the island, so that indicates just how old the the first battery is.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 07:39:05 am »

What has surprised me about the batteries for my D200 and D700 (same ones) is that even unused for months, though I have started to try and remember to rotate them, they continue to function perfectly; my D200 was apparently the first one on the island, so that indicates just how old the the first battery is.
I agree ; the nikon batteries I use have a very long life; even if the indicator says they are old and grumpy they still make some 500 photos/charge...
Since the d800 the same batteries can be used in the complete d800 en Z series ( and some nikon 1)
I have no idea how non Nikon batteries function since i did not need any new ones.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

John Camp

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2019, 12:45:07 pm »

I've also found my D800 batteries to be long-lasting...it has occurred to me that with a couple of spares, there really wouldn't be any reason for me to take the battery charger on a week-long trip, as long as I didn't actually lose the batteries. And if I did that, I'd probably lose the battery charger with them, anyway, since I tend to keep them together..

Dan Wells

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:35 pm »

I haven't had the Z7 or the new batteries long enough to tell (longest I've left one around is a couple of weeks, which works fine - but it would on any Li-Ion rechargeable except something really tiny). My general experience is that these "big" camera batteries (anything DSLR sized - ~7.2v 2000 mAh) last for quite a while (a month or more) without noticeable degradation in charge. The "little" batteries (Fuji, older Sony, smaller Micro 43 - ~7.2v 1200 mAh) discharge noticeably faster in your bag. The smaller the compact camera battery (and the smallest are 1/4 the size of the little DSLR/mirrorless batteries - ~3.6v 600 mAh), the faster it will self discharge. I have next to no experience with the "huge" batteries (D5, 1Dx II - ~11v 3000 mAh), but I'd assume those last even longer than the "big" batteries.

jeremyrh

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2019, 08:10:31 am »

..it has occurred to me that with a couple of spares, there really wouldn't be any reason for me to take the battery charger on a week-long trip

For travel I have been using a 3rd party USB charger - much smaller and lighter than the Nikon one.

KLaban

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2019, 01:11:52 pm »

I bought the 3 LEGGED THING ZELDA-C DEDICATED L-BRACKET FOR NIKON Z SERIES CAMERAS. Beautiful piece of engineering, made in the UK apparently at the request of Nikon. Available in differing finishes, I chose the grey.

3leggedthing.com/store/zelda-c

3leggedthing-park-cameras

I've no affiliation with Zelda or Park Cameras other than being a customer, but thought this could be of interest to other Z Series owners.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2019, 02:22:31 pm »

I bought the 3 LEGGED THING ZELDA-C DEDICATED L-BRACKET FOR NIKON Z SERIES CAMERAS. Beautiful piece of engineering, made in the UK apparently at the request of Nikon. Available in differing finishes, I chose the grey.

3leggedthing.com/store/zelda-c

3leggedthing-park-cameras

I've no affiliation with Zelda or Park Cameras other than being a customer, but thought this could be of interest to other Z Series owners.

Nice! I got the kirk one instead: https://www.kirkphoto.com/camera-mounting/nikon/z7-and-z6/l-bracket-for-nikon-z7-and-z6.html
Likely heavier but you can keep the hex wrench in the bottom and it works with the FTZ adapter. One thing that's going for Zelda from what I can see is that you can attach another plate, etc in the optical axis, the Kirk has it on the side.

KLaban

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2019, 02:33:45 pm »

Nice! I got the kirk one instead: https://www.kirkphoto.com/camera-mounting/nikon/z7-and-z6/l-bracket-for-nikon-z7-and-z6.html
Likely heavier but you can keep the hex wrench in the bottom and it works with the FTZ adapter. One thing that's going for Zelda from what I can see is that you can attach another plate, etc in the optical axis, the Kirk has it on the side.

I've always used RRS in the past but the Zelda is a comparative bargain, particularly when importing the RRS from the USA.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2019, 05:53:36 pm »

As a panorama-photographer- i miss the sensor-center marks on the Zelda-L bracket- or am i wrong?
They are essential for me. ( of course you can make them yourself, but that takes some work)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up