Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Time Passes Faster as you Age  (Read 3831 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Why Time Passes Faster as you Age
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:43:44 am »

It is often said that LuLa is made of old farts, by old farts, for old farts (well, until recently at least), you might find the following article interesting, a scientific explanation:

https://qz.com/1516804/physics-explains-why-time-passes-faster-as-you-age/?utm_source=parAO

... time as we experience it represents perceived changes in mental stimuli. It’s related to what we see. As physical mental-image processing time and the rapidity of images we take in changes, so does our perception of time. And in some sense, each of us has our own “mind time” unrelated to the passing of hours, days, and years on clocks and calendars, which is affected by the amount of rest we get and other factors.

James Clark

Re: Why Time Passes Faster as you Age
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:11:12 am »

Interesting theory.  I've always just assumed that as we age, each successive period (month, year whatever) is a proportionally shorter percentage of our entire lives, so it feels as if it goes by faster.   A biological construct is not something that ever occurred to me.

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:02 am »

Good find! thanks for sharing.
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

Ivophoto

Why Time Passes Faster as you Age
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:14:06 pm »

It is often said that LuLa is made of old farts, by old farts, for old farts (well, until recently at least), you might find the following article interesting, a scientific explanation:

https://qz.com/1516804/physics-explains-why-time-passes-faster-as-you-age/?utm_source=parAO

Well, since my oldest son surprised me at Christmas Eve with a pair of slippers embroidered with “Grandfather” I’m growing into my place here at Lula.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:26:13 pm »

"Time" is actually a far more complicated subject than most of us have ever even suspected. If you're interested, a recent book by Carlo Rovelli "The Order of Time" makes for an interesting read.

See: https://www.amazon.com/Order-Time-Carlo-Rovelli/dp/073521610X
Jay W Page

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 01:21:35 pm »

Slobodan, how do you find time for this stuff?

:-)

John R

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:22:44 pm »

Slobodan, how do you find time for this stuff?

:-)
I was thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed the article.

I was also thinking that every time I make an excuse as to why I can't be bothered with setting up the tripod or changing a lens to get a picture, I regret it for quite some time, and that time grates on me ever so slowly.

JR

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 04:42:17 pm »

One thing I discovered early in my "retirement" was that unless I varied my daily schedule the days would soon start blending into each other. The more of your life that you allow to become routine, the less attention you pay to it and the faster it seems to pass by. So it's critical to keep looking for and experiencing new things.

Time in physics is a mind-bender. It might not exist at all except as a way of noting that the relationships amongst things in the world (and the broader universe) change, and do so in a continuous and directional manner. In this view each configuration of relationships is real as is its connection to other, "nearby" configurations. But each configuration is itself static. Existence as a series of still frames in a movie. I imagine Rovelli's book, which I own but haven't yet read, covers the "block universe" concept, which is related to this. OTOH other physicists suspect time is a fundamental feature of the world.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 04:57:30 pm »

One thing I discovered early in my "retirement" was that unless I varied my daily schedule the days would soon start blending into each other. The more of your life that you allow to become routine, the less attention you pay to it and the faster it seems to pass by. So it's critical to keep looking for and experiencing new things.

Time in physics is a mind-bender. It might not exist at all except as a way of noting that the relationships amongst things in the world (and the broader universe) change, and do so in a continuous and directional manner. In this view each configuration of relationships is real as is its connection to other, "nearby" configurations. But each configuration is itself static. Existence as a series of still frames in a movie. I imagine Rovelli's book, which I own but haven't yet read, covers the "block universe" concept, which is related to this. OTOH other physicists suspect time is a fundamental feature of the world.

-Dave-

Time is money's alter ego: you can make it, spend it, waste it and lose it.

It's the perfect relationship: when you run out of money you've run out of time.

Rob

Rand47

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 08:54:10 pm »

I think that article “hints” at this, but I find the explanation of time passing faster as I get older a very simple thing.  When I was 10 years old, one year represented 10% of my entire “life experience.”  Actually more than that since below age 4 or thereabouts is a black hole for most of us.

Now that I’m 71, a year represents a much smaller “slice” of my total life experience, and a much smaller “hunk” than that same year was at 10 years old.  Very simple (minded, I’m certain!).

I can remember sitting on my front porch in the morning when I was about 10, and wondering what I was going to do “all day long” until evening.  Seemed like an eternity.  Nowadays, I blink and another year is down the scuppers.    ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

texshooter

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 12:50:57 am »

I saw a tv commercial once for a bone strengthening supplement.  The spokeswoman was in her 70's saying she takes the supplement because she has "big plans and has a long life ahead."

My immediate thought was: Yeah right, you keep telling yourself that, sweetie.

Everybody will say time flies by fast, but nobody seems to realize how little time they have left.  Everybody working so hard to get somewhere or be somebody, just to drop dead quickly thereafter.

The irony.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 12:59:20 am »

This is going to get miserable anyway so I will give it a little shove.

I was listening to a Buddhist podcast when the teacher said it’s best not to live in the future. By that he was referring to the standard Buddhist teaching of rather living in the moment but he had a take on it I had never heard before.  He said the future is the place you go to die.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:58:32 am »

Well, I have come to the conclusion that "death" is just another bus stop.

I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation or not - I sometimes feel it's the only logical reason for a good marriage: the result of an earlier set of trial runs.

If not reincarnation, then I think it's possible that we move to another parallel level of existence. I don't see any other reason for being here. A flash in the pan is otherwise pointless, so I doubt nature would have allowed it.

Either way, if there is nothing out there, then we shall never be aware of it, so no harm in having a more positive outlook during the time that we are aware...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 05:25:43 am »

I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation or not - I sometimes feel it's the only logical reason for a good marriage: the result of an earlier set of trial runs.

The novelist in me had an interesting idea for a sizeable novel about reincarnation. During the story, spanning several generations and different lives (for obvious reasons), the reader gradually becomes aware that reincarnation actually happens backwards: i.e. you are not reset into a new, future life, but instead into a life from times past.

Unfortunately, that novelist in me is very evidently the most lazy part of me. No doubt as a result of some future riches found in some quick and easy business deal surrounding an AI startup perhaps, killing itself on substance abuse as a result of lack thereof (substance, not abuse), and thus passed on to me from whence (<-- see what I did there?) to the here and now...

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 06:44:09 am »

The novelist in me had an interesting idea for a sizeable novel about reincarnation. During the story, spanning several generations and different lives (for obvious reasons), the reader gradually becomes aware that reincarnation actually happens backwards: i.e. you are not reset into a new, future life, but instead into a life from times past.

Unfortunately, that novelist in me is very evidently the most lazy part of me. No doubt as a result of some future riches found in some quick and easy business deal surrounding an AI startup perhaps, killing itself on substance abuse as a result of lack thereof (substance, not abuse), and thus passed on to me from whence (<-- see what I did there?) to the here and now...

Harold Robbins would have taken to that like a duck to water!

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 07:46:47 am »

Oscar, you'd have a least one sale.

;-)

Ray

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 06:06:08 pm »

I can believe that. It's not just ageing that seems to speed up the passage of time but the nature of the activities of each individual.

Whilst reading this thread and the linked article I was reminded of a comment from that remarkable English lady who spent 12 years living in a cave in the Himalayas as a Buddhist nun. (Diane Perry, now known as Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.)

In 1976 Tenzin Palmo, at the age of 33, commenced living in a cave in the Himalayas, measuring 10 feet wide and six feet deep, and remained there for 12 years.

In accordance with protocol, she never lay down, sleeping in a traditional wooden meditation box in a meditative posture for just three hours a night. The last three years were spent in complete isolation. She survived temperatures of below −30° Fahrenheit (−35°C) and snow for six to eight months of the year.

A book titled 'Cave in the Snow' was written, describing her experiences. From this book, or possibly from an interview with Tenzin Palmo, I recall the following comment which suggests that a lack of varying activities can speed up the passage of time enormously, even if one is quite young.

“The whole thing appeared very dream-like. It seemed almost impossible that I actually spent all that time in seclusion. It seemed more like three months. Of course, when one has been in solitude for such a long time, one’s mind becomes extremely clear. And that clarity reflects in the ability to be able to see the underlying confusion of the people around one. Then, of course, great compassion arises toward others as well as toward one’s own confusion.”

I'm getting fairly advanced in years myself, but I haven't felt that time is speeding up. The last time I visited Nepal, trekking and taking photos, was a bit over 5 years ago. It doesn't feel like a shorter period than that. In fact, before doing a calculation involving the actual months and years, I would not have been surprised if it had been 6 or 7 years ago, probably because since that time I've been engaged in lots of different activities and travels.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 09:27:01 pm »

I met Ani Tenzin Palmo on a short retreat a number of years ago in South Africa. A remarkable person and a obviously a very accomplished practitioner. I’m not sure her experiences would have been mine in the same situation. I may have just lost my mind attempting what she did.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 10:11:29 pm »

Getting old I'm feeling time is rushing by faster.  Just when I need more of it. 

I think about the younger people who exercise all the time to be healthier so they can increase their longevity.  Then they find out that those extra years come at the end when you're drooling and impotent rather than some other time when the extra years would be more profitable.   Maybe they should stop exercising and go out an get an ice cream with chocolate syrup, nuts and whip cream. With a cherry on top.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 11:59:19 pm »

Getting old I'm feeling time is rushing by faster.  Just when I need more of it. 

I think about the younger people who exercise all the time to be healthier so they can increase their longevity.  Then they find out that those extra years come at the end when you're drooling and impotent rather than some other time when the extra years would be more profitable.   Maybe they should stop exercising and go out an get an ice cream with chocolate syrup, nuts and whip cream. With a cherry on top.

Heavy breathing might be the cause.
Try meditation and think of something pleasurable, for instance ice cream. You'll find that time will slow down.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up