Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Time Passes Faster as you Age  (Read 3891 times)

Rob C

Re: Why Time Passes Faster as you Age
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 09:18:33 am »

Dude, you promised us an epic roadtrip. What steps will you be taking today to get there?

* I used "dude" to make you feel younger. Did it help?

Road trip depends on two factors: the sale of the property; health not going any further down the slope. The trip would be the slow drive back to the UK.

Both remain clouded in doubt, the sale because no Brit in his right mind would buy until Brexit is out of the equation - Brits were the main buyers here - and on the health issue, call me dude or anything else and I don't feel one iota better; if anything, I felt a damned sight better in summer than now. Maybe it's the price I have to pay for my French restaurant being closed until at least mid- or late February. I have lost weight I can't afford to lose, and the Italian place that opened recently and produced the gnocchi I used to make has told me it's going on holiday, too. That anything remains open in winter is ever more in doubt; you can't get direct flights from Scotland or Newcastle-on-Tyne to Mallorca at this time of year, and my neighbour had to fly to Valencia, I think, and then on to Palma, making a short flight a day trip.

I remember shooting pix for winter holiday brochures for the Balearics. Who imagined it would vanish?

Rob

RogTallbloke

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 05:59:19 pm »

Time is money's alter ego: you can make it, spend it, waste it and lose it.

It's the perfect relationship: when you run out of money you've run out of time.

Rob

When my girlfriend and I hitch-hiked round Europe as twenty somethings, we found that it was when we ran out of money that life really started to happen, things got very real, and time stretched in the present.

Teaming up with a mad Dutch fire eater to make money juggling firebrands outside pavement restaurants on the Cote D'azure.

Camped on the mountain opposite the Aiguilles du Midi above Chamonix, eking out the last bag of rice and scraps of food from our packs.

Camped in the Gorge du Verdon watching eagles float by - waiting for the grape harvest to start.

One day I'll find the negatives from the rolls of film I shot with my Ricoh 35mm compact...

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 09:58:38 am »

When my girlfriend and I hitch-hiked round Europe as twenty somethings, we found that it was when we ran out of money that life really started to happen, things got very real, and time stretched in the present.

Teaming up with a mad Dutch fire eater to make money juggling firebrands outside pavement restaurants on the Cote D'azure.

Camped on the mountain opposite the Aiguilles du Midi above Chamonix, eking out the last bag of rice and scraps of food from our packs.

Camped in the Gorge du Verdon watching eagles float by - waiting for the grape harvest to start.

One day I'll find the negatives from the rolls of film I shot with my Ricoh 35mm compact...

Rog, it was much more pleasurable doing it by car and card.

Enjoyng snails in Payrac to the horrified amusement of an American and the appreciation and disbelief of a waiter who'd spent years living in England and spoke English at least as well as some Brits; having a G&T in the bar of a hotel as an elderly Englishman wandered over, sn¡ffed the air, and said how sophisticated; you two must be British?

Yes, travel is a pleasure if it goes well. And for me, that excludes trains and 'planes. The only way I eventually wanted to do it was in the car. And within the European/Mediterranean area. I hate the very idea of roughing it; I'd rather avoid it (the trip) altogether. I hated my professional safari stops in Kenya, and the best thing about Singapore was the prawns and Chinese Chablis; the greatest laugh at the depth of touristic expectations was the obligatory sling at Raffles. It was a working group; it was unavoidable.

Yep, travel opens the eyes as wide as the wallet.

Rob

RogTallbloke

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:34 am »

Rog, it was much more pleasurable doing it by car and card.

Enjoyng snails in Payrac to the horrified amusement of an American and the appreciation and disbelief of a waiter who'd spent years living in England and spoke English at least as well as some Brits; having a G&T in the bar of a hotel as an elderly Englishman wandered over, sn¡ffed the air, and said how sophisticated; you two must be British?

Yes, travel is a pleasure if it goes well. And for me, that excludes trains and 'planes. The only way I eventually wanted to do it was in the car. And within the European/Mediterranean area. I hate the very idea of roughing it; I'd rather avoid it (the trip) altogether. I hated my professional safari stops in Kenya, and the best thing about Singapore was the prawns and Chinese Chablis; the greatest laugh at the depth of touristic expectations was the obligatory sling at Raffles. It was a working group; it was unavoidable.

Yep, travel opens the eyes as wide as the wallet.

Rob

Fair enough. It takes all sorts to photograph the world as it's experienced. I'll never forget waking up on a ledge under an overhanging cliff at 3000 feet where we'd taken shelter from a storm, to see dawn breaking over the Penon D'Iffac on the costa Blanca. Not a view you'd get from even the best hotel window no matter how wide you opened your wallet.  :D

I can't locate the image just now, but this shot I found on the web gives an idea of the situation.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2019, 01:05:09 pm »

The privilege of sanitised, international, 5 star luxury has never appealed.

As hand to mouth twenty somethings we dossed in crumbling cottages and churches and had the time of our lives. Now, with a little more comfort in mind and a little more money in pocket we seek and stay in riads, haveli and village houses which are of the place and equally importantly of the people and are still having the time of our lives: cameras in hand, in the thick of it.

It's a different kind of privilege. 

RogTallbloke

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2019, 01:25:56 pm »

+ airb'n'b

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2019, 01:26:16 pm »

Fair enough. It takes all sorts to photograph the world as it's experienced. I'll never forget waking up on a ledge under an overhanging cliff at 3000 feet where we'd taken shelter from a storm, to see dawn breaking over the Penon D'Iffac on the costa Blanca. Not a view you'd get from even the best hotel window no matter how wide you opened your wallet.  :D

I can't locate the image just now, but this shot I found on the web gives an idea of the situation.

Again, hold them horses! Who said anything about making photographs being part of the pleasure? My early French drives (from Spain up to Scotland) were originally to be present for the birth of our grandchildren; I wasted time on those many, subsequent trips shooting holiday atmospherics for a stock agency; what a waste of effort that was - the enjoyment, really, was off camera. I would never have allowed cameras to intrude on pleasure again, but health took that out of my hands anyway, and my wife refused to let me drive that distance and time anymore. Going by 'plane, though we did, wasn't much good: no way of bringing back French exotica for the tummy. Doing it when you can is the right idea.

My experiences of the Costs Brava are this: shooting hotels for a holiday brochure from the beach, holding up small OOF plastic flowers to hide the railway lines and road between hotels and beach; driving back from one of the Scotland trips in lashing evening rain along that nightmare three-lane road where overtaking is akin to suicide, especially when you are blinded by lights and windscreen water. Every other time after that initial one, we headed back to Barcelona and the ferry via the motorway. They didn't christen it the Costa Brava for nothing!

However, the very first tme we drove the distance was up through Andorra; we came out of the place onto a view above the clouds, looking down into distant France beyond the cloud layer. Magical; no, I didn't stop to snap.

Rob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:32:11 pm by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 09:15:46 pm »

Yes, travel is a pleasure if it goes well. And for me, that excludes trains and 'planes. The only way I eventually wanted to do it was in the car.

Rob,
The advantage of travelling by car is that you can usually stop if you notice something interesting at one side of the road that might be worth photographing, or perhaps notice a narrow lane winding up a hillside from where there could be an interesting view.

However, the disadvantage, if you are actually driving the car, is that for safety reasons you have to keep your eyes on the road and can often miss interesting subjects, byways and locations off the side of the road.

At least that's been my experience. I've sometimes driven back and forth along a stretch of highway for years before realizing I've been repeatedly passing by an interesting nature park, or conservation area with walking tracks.

Just recently, as a result of curiosity, slowing down and turning off the highway along a byroad that I'd passed a hundred times in the past 20 years, I came across an amazing camel farm (in Queensland, Australia) that I had no idea existed.

Refer attached photos. The camel with the impressive beard could be female, so give her a good kiss.  :D

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2019, 04:04:26 am »

Ray,

Indeed, driving does remove your eye - or should -from the distractions off piste. The way we did it, during those glorious years that Ann and I roamed France en route to Scotland, was that we'd check in at the hotel late evening and spend the next couple of days with the intention of getting a load of images to offer to our stock agent. That said, you can probably understand that there is - was! - a particular style of shot that had a chance of selling to tourist businesses etc. meaning, the unbiquitous travel atmospheric, a genre that tries to encapsulate the essence of a locality in a photograph. Paris has its tower, its art districts and so on. Nobody gave a fig about down-and-outs, the panhandlers in the streets and the Metro other than to try to pretend they didn't exist. You could see the challenge for Magnum, therein. ;-)

In the end, it turned out not worth the trouble and disruption to the trips; it was even worse regarding pix of Mallorca, where the agency eventually asked me not to send in more Med atmospherics because they, as with the other agencies, were drowning in that material. Frankly, it was an early warning sign of the collapse of the stock business model as it was, even before the advent of digital. That said, in retrospect, I can also detect that situation happening across the general, non-stock photographic industry back in the 80s, an era that seemed, on the face of it, to be thriving. Being a one-man-and-his-wife operation, it was natural to assume that slower times were one's own fault, and only looking back at the fact that many competitors were shutting the doors for the final time later indicated a general, not a particular malaise. At the time, you just see your own situation.

As mentioned in the past, later photography-free trips didn't happen: heart attacks convinced my wife it was too much driving stress for me, which was not the case: I enjoyed the driving; the heart problems were cholesetrol driven. There you go.

If this apartment sells, then yes, there will be one more, final, photographic French trip: back north from down here. (If my wife was right, what a way to go!) The snaps will not be for tourism, but for my website. Wish me well!

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2019, 07:18:56 am »

Perhaps it was a subtle comment on your paintings!?  =:-/
I just saw your comment

My Sainted Aunt??? Never, couldn't be, impossible, not likely, Hmmmm???.....I hate her!!!

Peter

Peter McLennan

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2019, 11:48:58 am »

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2019, 04:35:22 pm »

Ray

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2019, 05:11:21 pm »

If this apartment sells, then yes, there will be one more, final, photographic French trip: back north from down here. (If my wife was right, what a way to go!) The snaps will not be for tourism, but for my website. Wish me well!

Rob,
Do you intend to spend your final years back in the UK? Is this decision influenced by the Brexit chaos? Best of luck indeed!  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 08:43:00 am »

Rob,
Do you intend to spend your final years back in the UK? Is this decision influenced by the Brexit chaos? Best of luck indeed!  ;)

Several influencing factors:

1. inheritance tax, which the kids would have to pay before they could "accept the inheritance" of the apartment, and go on to try and sell it or even keep it, which I don't think they'd want to do. On selling, they'd be hit with other taxes which I, at the moment, because of length of tenure and my own age, an exempt from facing under local island law;

2. Brexit, if a bad one, means I would no longer have access to the state health insurance, which I currently enjoy courtesy the mutual exchange agreements between European countries. We used to have a parallel private policy for many years, but after my heart attacks and Ann's cancer ops, the premium became unaffordable for us, so that's not an alternative anymore. Ironically, as of last month, pensioners no longer have to pay a proportion of their regular prescription charges, which is nice, or would be if the status quo continues for me;

3. I really would like to get back into a city with libraries, bookshops, museums and galleries. Not to mention model agencies...

Rob

enduser

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 10:00:20 pm »

I believe the toilet roll example: when you pull four squares off it and it is a new roll, it rotates slowly. When the roll is nearly all gone, the taking off of another four squares makes it rotate much faster.

Rob C

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 05:33:22 pm »

I believe the toilet roll example: when you pull four squares off it and it is a new roll, it rotates slowly. When the roll is nearly all gone, the taking off of another four squares makes it rotate much faster.

So that's what they meant when they said "there goes another life down the pan!".

It gets tougher by the day.

:-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up