Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Time Passes Faster as you Age  (Read 3890 times)

Rob C

Re: Why Time Passes Faster as you Age
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 04:34:32 am »

Getting old I'm feeling time is rushing by faster.  Just when I need more of it. 

I think about the younger people who exercise all the time to be healthier so they can increase their longevity.  Then they find out that those extra years come at the end when you're drooling and impotent rather than some other time when the extra years would be more profitable.   Maybe they should stop exercising and go out an get an ice cream with chocolate syrup, nuts and whip cream. With a cherry on top.

Yes, I find it speeding faster...

I think it is because of my past lifestyle. When you have appointments to keep, people to see, things that have to be done to a deadline, your mind is always active and alive; you have a real conception of time, how fast it moves and how fast you have to move to keep up with it. When you had no plan for yesterday, none for today and even less idea about tomorrow, of course everything merges into one. Then, I guess that it comes down to how you feel about your now. If it's good, time ceases and if bad in a physical way, say pain you can't dope away, it stretches out its agony, making you feel time is too damned slow.

When there's not a lot going on, there are no signposts in your time scale; as a consequence, when something does crop up that gets your attention, lifts you from your stupor, all you remember is the last time something important happened, and the space in-between, being a relative vacuum, seems not to have existed at all, so your two big events are seen through that compressed perspective, the actual calendar making it seem that some huge acceleration took place.

I guess that time speeding up is a measure of our slowing down. Relativity, yet again. Would knowing (understanding) the equation help us in our daily life? A little prayer to Albert?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:50:12 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 07:56:00 am »

Take it from me: you eventually reach flank speed.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 08:06:41 am »

Take it from me: you eventually reach flank speed.

And then it stops.......... ;~ (

Peter

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 08:35:17 am »

Just finishing the book, "The First Conspiracy". Actually visualized flank speed in a new way, reading of General Washington under the cover of night, in foul, hungry winter , directing the canon fortification of the embankment facing General Howe to greet the ships prepared to fire on Boston Harbor.  (Even the retelling of how the cannons were moved from Fort Ticonderoga by oxcart and the will of young starving men strikes awe. ). Outflanked has a longer history than I ever knew. And we whimper about impending Northeasters.
Love that term Russ. As long as you remember to give it a rest time.
A common woman~

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 09:15:29 am »

Patricia,
A version of this story that was written for children is Guns for General Washington by Semour Reit.  I have read this with my 10 year old students.  It is a fun way to get them interested in our country's history.  Yes, every year in the classroom goes by faster and faster.  That is until the last six weeks which can last forever. 

https://www.amazon.com/Houghton-Mifflin-Reading-Paperbacks-Above-Level/dp/0618062637/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547820343&sr=8-2&keywords=Guns+for+General+Washington

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 09:30:27 am »

Lucky students Hugh.  Such a great age, ten years, to have enthusiastic wide horizon teachers in their lives.  Thank you.
A common woman~

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:18:34 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 03:40:45 pm »

Les, I'm looking forward to visiting the combo chocolate and vanilla ice cream in the freezer later tonight.  There's also an apple cider sugar coated donut friend standing by as well.  Fortunately, my diabetes test isn't until next week. 

Ray

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 05:53:59 pm »

Les, I'm looking forward to visiting the combo chocolate and vanilla ice cream in the freezer later tonight.  There's also an apple cider sugar coated donut friend standing by as well.  Fortunately, my diabetes test isn't until next week.

You look a bit overweight in your photo, Alan. Too much ice cream and not enough exercise??  ;)

Try fasting. It can also cure diabetes. If it speeds up time, never mind.  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 10:26:30 pm »

You look a bit overweight in your photo, Alan. Too much ice cream and not enough exercise??  ;)

Try fasting. It can also cure diabetes. If it speeds up time, never mind.  ;)
Well it's hard deciding on either ice cream or longevity.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:01 pm »

OK, you've convinced me.  I only ate the donut and skipped the ice cream.  I wonder how much more time that will give me?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 10:31:27 pm »

Yes, I find it speeding faster...

I think it is because of my past lifestyle. When you have appointments to keep, people to see, things that have to be done to a deadline, your mind is always active and alive; you have a real conception of time, how fast it moves and how fast you have to move to keep up with it. When you had no plan for yesterday, none for today and even less idea about tomorrow, of course everything merge into one. Then, I guess that it comes down to how you feel about your now. If it's good, time ceases and if bad in a physical way, say pain you can't dope away, it stretches out its agony, making you feel time is too damned slow.

When there's not a lot going on, there are no signposts in your time scale; as a consequence, when something does crop up that gets your attention, lifts you from your stupor, all you remember is the last time something important happened, and the space in-between, being a relative vacuum, seems not to have existed at all, so your two big events are seen through that compressed perspective, the actual calendar making it seem that some huge acceleration took place.

I guess that time speeding up is a measure of our slowing down. Relativity, yet again. Would knowing (understanding) the equation help us in our daily life? A little prayer to Albert?

Rob, You've hit a good point.  I don;t want to give up retirement but a consultant job of about three days a week would be nice.  There's a lot to be said for stimulating your mind and facing stress that keeps your blood red.

degrub

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 11:49:06 pm »

Volunteering can provide similar benefits. Particularly teaching.

Ray

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 10:56:32 pm »

Rob, You've hit a good point.  I don;t want to give up retirement but a consultant job of about three days a week would be nice.  There's a lot to be said for stimulating your mind and facing stress that keeps your blood red.

Very true. I've always considered retirement as an opportunity to continue to work, doing projects which are more meaningful than one's regular job, although without pay.

My retirement coincided with the rapid development of computer systems and digital photography in the 1990's. After retirement from my regular job in the Public Service, I spent a lot of time learning how to use the computer. I even learned how to build my own computer from individual parts, in order to save on expenses.

During my adult life, I'd accumulated several hundred negatives and slides depicting scenes in foreign countries from the 1960's onward. Scanning all those slides and negatives, and learning how to get the best results, and re-scanning when affordable scanners in the market improved, has been a major project.

I first joined this site in the 1990's, not to have interminable discussions about cameras and the artistic merits of photos, but simply to get help in producing a print on my Epson printer which matched the colour and contrast that I saw on my computer monitor. I'd complained to the Epson technical department that I was having great difficulty in getting a print that matched what I saw on my computer screen. They advised me the situation was complicated and that I should try to get help from a specialized photographic site such as Luminous Landscape, which I did, and I learned about the concepts of colour and monitor calibration.

20 years later I've accumulated almost 10,000 posts on LL, and possibly more because the very early posts were not always carried forward when the LL system was upgraded. Since many of my posts have been quite long, this represents more than a 1,000 page book, such as Bertrand Russell's 'History of Western Philosophy'. Perhaps even a couple of them.  ;)

My renewed interest in Photography after retirement, and the pleasure of viewing old photos in high resolution after scanning, inspired me to revisit some of those countries I'd photographed in the 1960's, such as Thailand, Cambodia and Nepal, and take yet more photos with my digital cameras. I was also inspired to travel to new countries I hadn't visited before.

I've now accumulated a huge number of digital photos in RAW mode. Organising them all, and backing them up on external hard drives is a continuing project.

However, I also have other interests in my retirement. I have a 5 acre property in the country side, which is now a sort of 'weekend retreat', but was initially a Permaculture Project. I found that I simply didn't have enough time to manage all the projects I was interested in, which also included playing the piano, so I stopped playing the piano (probably after realising I wasn't particularly talented  ;) ), and stopped maintaining my permaculture garden, letting whatever I'd planted thrive or die in accordance with Darwin's theory of evolution. Remarkably, Papayas and Lady Finger bananas have thrived without any maintenance.

However, some degree of maintenance of the property is required. I've spent a lot of time in recent years cutting down trees which would be in danger of collapsing on my house during a storm. Just recently, a few weeks ago, there was a storm which brought down the overhead power line to my property, due to trees falling over the power line. Refer attached photos of the damage.

Before getting the power line reconnected, I decided to cut down other trees in the vicinity which could disrupt the power supply during a future storm. All the fallen trees will be cut up by me in order to create a Hugelkultur mound. Yet another project.
https://permaculturenews.org/2012/01/04/hugelkultur-composting-whole-trees-with-ease/

I've got so many projects, including taking care of my ex-wife, time is not speeding up for me at all.

Oops! I'm also interested in Buddhism, and I've just realised I might be contradicting Buddhist principles by boasting.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:07:01 pm by Ray »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 05:08:56 am »

The curse or joy of being an artist or photographer is you never really retire.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 05:38:02 am »

;-)

Maybe curse and joy?

It sometimes feels that it would be such blessed relief to wake up one day and realise one never wanted to think about photography ever again, look at any more photographic websites, and just find something calming and useful to do with the time left...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 06:11:26 am »

Maybe curse and joy?

It sometimes feels that it would be such blessed relief to wake up one day and realise one never wanted to think about photography ever again, look at any more photographic websites, and just find something calming and useful to do with the time left...

Dude, you promised us an epic roadtrip. What steps will you be taking today to get there?

* I used "dude" to make you feel younger. Did it help?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 06:58:00 am »

Maybe curse and joy?

...and then I look at the people I know who have no consuming passion and realise I am blessed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:07:08 am by KLaban »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 07:53:18 am »

;-)

I was once asked by an Aunt. " Peter, you have doing art for quite sometime, when do you think you will retire? My response. "To do what? Everybody I meet want to paint." I have been retired in a way, since I was 16...

Peter

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 08:04:12 am »

I was once asked by an Aunt. " Peter, you have doing art for quite sometime, when do you think you will retire? My response. "To do what? Everybody I meet want to paint." I have been retired in a way, since I was 16...

Peter

Perhaps it was a subtle comment on your paintings!?  =:-/
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up