Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 72545 times)

Rob C

Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2019, 04:27:01 am »

Buh-bye, LuLa.

LMAO! Have fun wank'n the "art" and "politics" angle!

:)

Missing you already, Stevie!

Those three post you gave us were so filled with emotional content, inspiration, wisdom and, well, just uplifting wonderment. I weep for the loss.

(Remember to pull the chain and wash your hands when you've finished.)

Ciao.

Krug

« Reply #421 on: February 13, 2019, 08:05:26 am »

... and thank you Rob C for that flash of of elegant taste and erudition. You may find it impossible to believe but sometimes silence is the best option   .... as it would be in this case except that as a proud Brit I despair of my compatriots letting the side down so clearly and publicly.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Rob C

« Reply #422 on: February 13, 2019, 08:56:10 am »

... and thank you Rob C for that flash of of elegant taste and erudition. You may find it impossible to believe but sometimes silence is the best option   .... as it would be in this case except that as a proud Brit I despair of my compatriots letting the side down so clearly and publicly.

Dear boy, it's just not cricket!

;-)

dxhimages

« Reply #423 on: February 13, 2019, 11:41:22 am »

The Landscape of Kevin, Chris and Michael (!) is missed. So far it has become a series of short rather irrelevant essays (at least to me). The often insightful and content rich interviews and discussions have vanished. I shall continue to check in for a while at least to see if things improve..... much of the archived content is still of interest and some forums provide good information.

Rob C

« Reply #424 on: February 13, 2019, 03:10:49 pm »

The Landscape of Kevin, Chris and Michael (!) is missed. So far it has become a series of short rather irrelevant essays (at least to me). The often insightful and content rich interviews and discussions have vanished. I shall continue to check in for a while at least to see if things improve..... much of the archived content is still of interest and some forums provide good information.

Which insightful interviews are you thinking about? The discussions, of course, are always insightful because we, the punters, provide them.

:-)

jeremyrh

« Reply #425 on: February 14, 2019, 07:17:39 am »

Which insightful interviews are you thinking about?

Maybe the ones with good ol' boys drinking whiskey?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #426 on: February 14, 2019, 08:01:01 am »

They are still drinking and having fun, but on another channel.

Rob C

« Reply #427 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:16 am »

Maybe the ones with good ol' boys drinking whiskey?

Ah! As "in vino veritas", then?

I can't offer a best of, but if you want a worst of, then I'd have to admit that the recent Leica factory ones were the most embarrassing for me to watch. What a blatant (and thus worthless) PR exercise it appeared to me to be!

That said, Michael's factory visit at the launching of the M9 had me transfixed: I couldn't get my eyes off that baby on the table; I tried my best to have it shipped over by spiritual (if not intellectual) transmutation, but nothing damned well happened and I'm as Leicaless today as then. There must be a remarkable gap in my paranormal abilities.

;-)

JeffS

« Reply #428 on: February 14, 2019, 04:20:05 pm »

I can't offer a best of, but if you want a worst of, then I'd have to admit that the recent Leica factory ones were the most embarrassing for me to watch. What a blatant (and thus worthless) PR exercise it appeared to me to be!

I thought the interview with Dr. Kaufmann was terrific.  He gave insights into his background and how that’s translated to the business strategy and product lines   And there were some good hints about product evolution, one of which has since materialized in the L-Mount alliance with Panasonic and Sigma; no small matter. Next we’ll see what he meant when he said the next SL would be ‘less brutal’ and ‘more elegant’.

More than I’ve learned here lately... but that’s not hard to do.

Jeff

James Clark

« Reply #429 on: February 14, 2019, 05:17:18 pm »

I thought the interview with Dr. Kaufmann was terrific.  He gave insights into his background and how that’s translated to the business strategy and product lines   And there were some good hints about product evolution, one of which has since materialized in the L-Mount alliance with Panasonic and Sigma; no small matter. Next we’ll see what he meant when he said the next SL would be ‘less brutal’ and ‘more elegant’.

Jeff

::)

Rob C

« Reply #430 on: February 14, 2019, 05:26:54 pm »

Jeff

That's an interesting point of view, and one expressed quite often across the forum.

Why do people look upon this website as predominantly a place for learning things? That seems such a boring way of looking at this or other sites. Yes, I have often lauded the expertise to be found here, and freely offered, but that's a now and then thing, not a reason or draw that keeps me checking in every day.

I tend to think that the Internet offers a lot more than a kind of school, a lecture hall for virtual study... it's also a pleasure dome of sorts, where one can simply - and here I am thinking strictly in photographic terms - enjoy, without some ulterior, greater or so-imagined better purpose.

It feels rather dull, if not exhausting, thinking of life's trip as a constant learning experience; yes, one might pick up some nugget of amazingly novel information now and then, but for me, I far more enjoy the sense of adventure and aesthetic thrill that comes from seeing some photographs that tick my various boxes.

I really believe that we reach information satiation point quite quickly in photography; as I have mentioned in the past, it's not difficult to do, and even with digital, once you know how to achieve your aim, there's no need at all to feel obliged to discover all the alternative routes to Rome.

I'm certainly not going to be drawn into an argument about the good Doctor K or anyone else, and frankly, I have no interest in anything that industrialists have to say unless they are about to offer me a surprise gig or three. As for indications of future products, unless I intend to build a museum of industrial design, it seems somewhat irrelevant to my life.

JeffS

« Reply #431 on: February 14, 2019, 06:32:46 pm »

A great teacher (and communicator) is a rare treat; Michael was one. I constantly learned from him (and his many collaborators) in ways both technical and aesthetic, and I miss those experiences here. I see no family resemblance thus far, other than a last name and an interest in photography. 

If I want to see photos, I look at prints and books, both of which I’ve collected for almost 40 years.  That process, along with making my own pictures and prints, and a love of art, has enriched my life in countless ways. I don’t look to online websites for meditating on random screen shots.

Boredom?  I get that from most forum discussions, only recently participating here despite years of following LuLa, only to provide one small voice regarding the direction of the site.

Not everyone will be pleased.  We each desire different things; no right or wrong. From the looks of it, I’ll probably be disappointed.  But it’s still early, and maybe I’ll be surprised. In any case, I hope the site continues, if for no other reason than access to the archives.

Jeff

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #432 on: February 14, 2019, 07:27:53 pm »

for me, I far more enjoy the sense of adventure and aesthetic thrill that comes from seeing some photographs that tick my various boxes.

And, I would suggest, for discovering perspectives on the art (craft?) that differ from my own.

StephenStarkman

« Reply #433 on: February 17, 2019, 12:31:00 am »

Hey Rob C.

You sir are an idiot for that response to me. Really. You are.   

Truly- would you have said those things to me face to face? Or conducted yourself in such a manner with anyone else if you were in the same room as they?

I doubt it.

Believe me, it looks worse on you in a public forum then on me.

Anyways, I’ve been around LuLa since the beginning, knew Michael and Chris since the 90s, contributed and supported to this site and to the people who ran it directly, in person, face to face. (Dunno where my posting history went but that’s another matter - I may have inadvertently reset something).

Sigh.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #434 on: February 17, 2019, 12:57:15 am »

Buh-bye, LuLa.

LMAO! Have fun wank'n the "art" and "politics" angle!

:)

Would you have said any of this face to face with the the folks on this forum? Robs response was quite gentle and a little humerous compared to what you wrote don’t you think?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:57:02 am by Martin Kristiansen »
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #435 on: February 17, 2019, 01:20:17 am »

Missing you already, Stevie!
Those three post you gave us were so filled with emotional content, inspiration, wisdom and, well, just uplifting wonderment. I weep for the loss.
(Remember to pull the chain and wash your hands when you've finished.)
Ciao.

Hey Rob C.
You sir are an idiot for that response to me. Really. You are.   
Truly- would you have said those things to me face to face? Or conducted yourself in such a manner with anyone else if you were in the same room as they? I doubt it. Believe me, it looks worse on you in a public forum then on me.
Anyways, I’ve been around LuLa since the beginning, knew Michael and Chris since the 90s, contributed and supported to this site and to the people who ran it directly, in person, face to face. (Dunno where my posting history went but that’s another matter - I may have inadvertently reset something). Sigh.

There is a difference in those two posts. Rob's post was shorter, but more eloquent.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2019, 07:08:32 am »

Can the Administrator lock this thread?  The personal attacks are getting tiresome.

Krug

« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2019, 08:07:17 am »

PLEASE !
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2019, 09:13:42 am »

To the most valuable contributor nobody ever heard of:

First you call as all wankers. Classy.

Then you call a forum member, directly, by name, an “idiot.” Unacceptable.

Since you didn’t leave as you promised in the first offending post, and returned to reoffend, time for the moderator to step in and make you keep your promise.

Reported to the moderator.

Bye.

Rob C

« Reply #439 on: February 17, 2019, 01:09:40 pm »

Can the Administrator lock this thread?  The personal attacks are getting tiresome.

No, no! No locking, please!

The thread had and can have better content than just the recent dodgy stuff.

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28   Go Up