Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 12.0  (Read 17016 times)

TommyWeir

Re: Capture One 12.0
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2018, 10:57:38 am »

Yep, back to those Luma masking options.  Really fantastic. Can be very subtle.  I'm loving this update.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2018, 11:02:50 am »

Yep, back to those Luma masking options.  Really fantastic. Can be very subtle.  I'm loving this update.

I agree, and the tunable implementation (brightness range and transition) of the function is very powerful.
Also the ability to brush in/out the regions where it is to be applied, very nice.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2018, 12:37:15 pm »

And to export the mask as a selection to another layer to use for something else. Luma masking has quickly become a part of my workflow.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Jeff

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2018, 08:33:33 am »

With the increasing feature set available for layers  ( e.g. radial / luma masking ) and only one source point for clone / heal per layer perhaps a development for v13 should perhaps look at increasing the number of layers available for use  ( currently 16 ?  )

Luma masking appears a very useful addition, looking forward to next week's dedicated Phase One Webinar on the feature  :)

BillSmith

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2018, 01:48:58 pm »

+ 1 for more layers and a history window. please add a DEHAZE tool in V13

Warren Parsons

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:49 pm »

It's really disappointing that DAM still isn't a priority for Phase One. I was really hoping to see some real progress made on the catalog front in v12.

Using Lightroom for DAM and C1 for editing is still a least awful option.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »

Dehaze in v13?!! V12.1 please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2018, 02:34:37 pm »

+1 for Dehaze,  really would be a nice addition. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2018, 08:00:05 pm »

+1 for Dehaze,  really would be a nice addition.

While interesting, I'm wondering what people are using it for, and whether there are no better solutions.

Personally, I could see a use for it to perhaps slightly exaggerate the atmospheric perspective, or slightly reduce it, if that helps the image. But I'd rather have a more generally useful enhancement like the TopazLabs (Precision) Detail plugin. A slightly more tunable and enhanced Clarity (not only mid-tone contrast) function would also help all images instead of a just a few.

Cheers,
Bart

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2018, 01:33:06 am »

I’m not really getting on with C1 DAM. I’m too used to LR I suspect. I need to make a more concerted effort with it. It’s one area I feel LR has an advantage over C1.

I was super excited about dehaze when it first came out but I stopped using it a while back. Not in a concious way, I just never look at an image and think “now for a bit of dehaze”.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2018, 06:22:44 am »

I was super excited about dehaze when it first came out but I stopped using it a while back. Not in a concious way, I just never look at an image and think “now for a bit of dehaze”.

Similar experience, interesting at first but not often used after a while, hence my question what people are using it for. Maybe there is an alternative (creative) use possible?

Cheers,
Bart

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2018, 06:34:28 am »

Similar experience, interesting at first but not often used after a while, hence my question what people are using it for. Maybe there is an alternative (creative) use possible?

Cheers,
Bart

I think it may be useful to use negative values on misty backgrounds and so on. Make them more misty looking. I will sometimes give it a try with various images but usually end up undoing it. Would also be interested in what others have to say about it.

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2018, 10:48:31 am »

Cheers,
Bart

One use is to bring out detail in clouds, used carefully it can be very effective for that in conjunction with contrast and clarity.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »

Clarity and Dehaze are very welcome attributes i find.

They both do something that i could not achieve so quickly otherwise and give sometimes better results.
But used to strong they can become very ugly- like most filters.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2018, 08:05:01 pm »

I use Dehaze sometimes in the softproof process. I make other small adjustments with the usual sliders to get a sofproof to look right like vibrance, whites, blacks, shadows, etc. but I often find a point or two of Dehaze puts the finishing touch on the print.

I am one of those who starts in C1, then exports keepers into my LR Master catalog for DAM, printing and exporting purposes.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:05:02 am by dchew »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2018, 01:50:05 am »

I use Dehaze sometimes in the softproof process. I make other small adjustments with the usual sliders to get a sofproof to look right like vibrance, whites, blacks, shadows, etc.  but I often find a point or two of Dehaze puts the finishing touch on the print.

I am one of those who starts in C1, then exports keepers into my LR Master catalog for DAM, printing and exporting purposes.

Dave

Clever. I can see that working.

JaapD

« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2018, 02:36:43 am »

I would very much appreciate an improved implementation of cloning & healing in V13. For me this is 'THE' main reason why I’m still using Photoshop. It would be absolute great if I was able to have my workflow from start to finish in one package: CaptureOne.

Regards,
Jaap.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:52 am »

I would very much appreciate an improved implementation of cloning & healing in V13. For me this is 'THE' main reason why I’m still using Photoshop. It would be absolute great if I was able to have my workflow from start to finish in one package: CaptureOne.

Regards,
Jaap.

I used to run around the image with the spot removal tool and accomplish only frustration. I have much better luck creating a healing layer and using the brush tool. Works alot better.

However, LR’s tool is still one of those things I use after the image is imported into my Master catalog. That tool is second only to Content Aware.

Dave

Dave

JaapD

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2018, 03:16:06 pm »

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. Let me explain why I still need Photoshop to do my retouching:

According CaptureOne “For most repair work, particularly skin blemishes or large expanses of sky with a slight gradient, the Heal tool should be the first choice” and “the brush-based Heal tool should be adopted when more complex and precise repairing of imperfections is required”. So far so good but now it comes “Only one sampling point can be set per layer, though, up to 16 layers can be created for one image”.

So for every sample point I need to create a new layer, and I’m limited to 16. Who invented this utterly cr@p? What were they smoking in Denmark? This is absolutely unworkable. Just as in Photoshop I need to select as many sampling points as I require for retouching that image, and all in one layer.

Oh yeah, there is one other annoyance: C1 defaults vertical keystoning to 80%. Why is this not a configurable preset? Again, what were they smoking? Something like “we know better and our customers are idiots wanting to correct their architectural images at 100% vertical keystoning” Does the C1 team know the working of a shift lens?

Apart from this I really, really appreciate everything else C1 provides.

Regards,
Jaap.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2018, 07:46:32 pm »

“Only one sampling point can be set per layer, though, up to 16 layers can be created for one image”.

Hi Jaap,

I agree that it is limiting, but even 32 layers would not really solve that specific use of layers (although more than 16 would help in some other use-cases). However, it's not the recommended workflow if your task involves dealing with lots of dust, especially a sequence of shots. Capture One Pro can use the LCC functionality for that. Especially easy if one shoots stationary subjects from a tripod, such as Architecture, and infinitely much faster and more accurate than doing it spot by spot by hand.

Oh yeah, there is one other annoyance: C1 defaults vertical keystoning to 80%. Why is this not a configurable preset?

It IS configurable! You just add that correction, with the specific percentage that's best according to your preference/taste and type of subjects to a "Style" that is either always used when opening a Raw file, or as a specific additional User Style (see attached) that you use for specific subjects and can be applied to a series of shots with 2 mouse clicks in hindsight. It also allows to under-correct keystoning with e.g. 94% or whatever looks more natural than 100%.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up