Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO PhotoLab 2 - any fans? detractors?  (Read 20809 times)

geneo

Re: DxO PhotoLab 2 - any fans? detractors?
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 03:05:19 pm »

It is normal practice for most software companies, now that a new version is released, then it is no longer supported.  They certainly wouldn't add new cameras for instance.  They have however, released an update for PL2 a few days ago although if you are using PL2 you have probably been notified if you have the check for new versions option ticked.

Yes I know software release practices, believe me :D  But this is such an insignifcant upgrade for $69 IMO, and so soon.

I am up-to-date on 2 thanks, but that has no bearing.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

IanSeward

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 08:57:25 am »

Yes I know software release practices, believe me :D  But this is such an insignifcant upgrade for $69 IMO, and so soon.

I am up-to-date on 2 thanks, but that has no bearing.

It is fairly standard to skip alternate yearly upgrades and that's great you save money.  If the upgrade contains anything that is of interest to you then that is great but it costs you money :-)

The point is you can't really lose :-)

For me the improvements in local edits having a layer opacity, being able to have a list of local edits, able to invert masks is something I wanted, great for me, not so much for you :-)

With local edits you often have several adjustments combined, setting the initial layer opacity to 70% allows you to quickly make adjustments and then vary the intensity of those adjustments both up and down.  This is how I work in C1Pro and I find it very effective. Layers with opacity adjustment and layer management is becoming a "must" for my raw editor, but it is all personal choice.  YMOV :-)

Ian

Lightsmith

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 04:20:43 pm »

DXO is forcing its users to run Windows 10 with its PL3 release. They are the only company doing this. No issues with Windows 7 64-bit with Photoshop CC, or with Affinity or with Luminar or with ON1 or With Nikon's editors and viewers. We have been using PhotoLab but will no longer be doing so.

IanSeward

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 02:22:56 am »

DXO is forcing its users to run Windows 10 with its PL3 release. They are the only company doing this. No issues with Windows 7 64-bit with Photoshop CC, or with Affinity or with Luminar or with ON1 or With Nikon's editors and viewers. We have been using PhotoLab but will no longer be doing so.

Yes, that's a personal choice as to which OS you want to use.  There was even someone over on DPReview forums claiming to be still running Win XP :-)  For most people the OS is just there to get to their programs; turn the computer on and click the icon for Word, PS, etc. I guess eventually the guy running Win XP will update to, for him, the dreadful Win 7.  All personal choices.

Larry451

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2019, 11:55:44 am »

greetings:   I'm on a macbook pro + nikonD7 & zeiss lenses  photoshop 2020  lightroom classic  +  nik collection + printing with, print-tool2.  shooting landscape closeup shots at IS0 100 or 400 max.  44" Z3200 printer / 24"x36"average  All this preamble to ask:  DX0 photolab 3  which edition?  essential or elite?
regards
Larry.

RT

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2019, 08:29:13 pm »

Elite is the way to go if you are planning on using it regularly.  The PRIME denoising and ClearViewPlus alone are worth the price difference. Like any software, DxO has its issues, but I like it's RAW conversion better than anything else and find it's interface fairly easy to use. I'm not a power post processor and only do the minimum processing necessary (in my view), so for me it works really well.  Others may need/want all the photoshop, etc. have tp offer.

Lightsmith

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2019, 05:34:13 pm »

PhotoLab cannot import a Photoshop PSD file and the company is no longer supporting Windows 7. I am now using ON1 and Affinity instead.

Trufflehound

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2019, 02:32:03 pm »

Elite is the way to go if you are planning on using it regularly.  The PRIME denoising and ClearViewPlus alone are worth the price difference. Like any software, DxO has its issues, but I like it's RAW conversion better than anything else and find it's interface fairly easy to use. I'm not a power post processor and only do the minimum processing necessary (in my view), so for me it works really well.  Others may need/want all the photoshop, etc. have tp offer.

Agree with RT, Elite is the way to go.  The RAW conversion and lens/camera modules are really good.  I use DXO for most processing, but I'm not a heavy duty processor.  I use Luminar when I need a little extra.

Mwestall

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 09:40:12 am »

That would be because Win7 is EOL as of January 2020 and developing for dead platforms is both expensive and involves backporting or disabling features which aren't supported in the current codebase.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up