Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO PhotoLab 2 - any fans? detractors?  (Read 7472 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: DxO PhotoLab 2 - any fans? detractors?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 09:04:58 am »

Sorry! sorry! sorry!!  Don't know what I was smoking when I typed my reply. It didn't open my files at all. Z7 support was announced for December but I didn't check if it arrived!!

ok, no worries, at least I know I am not crazy... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

FranciscoDisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 08:36:21 pm »

It would be interesting to see if DXO will create its own lens profiles for the Nikon S Lenses (Nikon Z) or if they will use the lens correction data embedded in the raw file.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:22 am »

It would be interesting to see if DXO will create its own lens profiles for the Nikon S Lenses (Nikon Z) or if they will use the lens correction data embedded in the raw file.

In fact 2.1 is supposed to support the Z7 and it now works after I rebooted my Mac, very strange.

Only the 24-70 f4 S seems to have a profile from what I can see.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:35:30 am by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:34 pm »

As I posted in a Nikon thread elsewhere, I love the colors and look I am getting for Z7 files with DxO PL 2.2.

This has become a very impressive and mature tool, possibly the best raw converter out there.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lightsmith

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:30 pm »

With Photo Lab there is no function to resize and image except by exporting it. One of my first steps after opening a converted RAW file is to resize it so I am not working with extra pixels that are not needed for the final print(s). I also will take an image and size if for a print and then size it again  for a large Web file and size it again (go back to original file each time within the editor) for a small Web image file. This is a simple and quick process in Photoshop to create the different resolution files which includes different levels of sharpening on each one.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2019, 03:37:51 am »

I've been playing with the trial version for a couple of days. I tend to process my stuff with Nik programs anyway, so thought it might be a good move, but so far I'm struggling with the UI compared to Capture One. The biggest issue is highlight recovery - simple in Capture One, but in Photolab it seems I have to reduce exposure right down & then try to recover the shadows & mid-tones. Doesn't seem to work very intuitively or very well. Maybe I'm missing something.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 07:39:19 am »

I've been playing with the trial version for a couple of days. I tend to process my stuff with Nik programs anyway, so thought it might be a good move, but so far I'm struggling with the UI compared to Capture One. The biggest issue is highlight recovery - simple in Capture One, but in Photolab it seems I have to reduce exposure right down & then try to recover the shadows & mid-tones. Doesn't seem to work very intuitively or very well. Maybe I'm missing something.

I am still coming to grips/learning DxO PL2 but did you use and/or try the Smart Lighting and/or Selective Tone (as they refer to it/them)?

DxO online manual page

A collection of mine here http://500px.c

IanSeward

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 08:21:55 am »

While wondering what to do with the money I may not spend on a C1 upgrade I came across the DxO website. I like the U-point interface, and the Nik plugins like Silver Efex and Viveza, but the general UI looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast.  Is it a viable replacement for Lightroom and CaptureOne, or will I buy it and then not have the energy(*) to master it?

(*) I recognise this is hard for you to judge :-)

There is a special offer on DXO-Photolab 2 at the moment for those interested.  $89 / 69 for the Elite edition.
https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/06/dxo-deal.html

Ian
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up